Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2023, 19:28   #2281
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What! They look quite good man. What are you on about? That Gray stands nicely fleshed in with the green. If you don’t like the color, just get them out and have them repainted to a color you like. Honestly though, they look good.

Enjoy the ride!

Thank you! Painting them black is something I'll definitely consider. Maybe it'll clean up the look. If it makes it worse, I'll just take them off.

It's really funny, I liked them on the test drive vehicle but I just suddenly have a strong repulsion to them for some reason.
Old 12th November 2023, 16:56   #2282
BHPian

I had booked Jimny but cancelled it the day the pricing was released. Had a good look when it came into the showroom and didn't regret my decision. Didn't even bother for a test ride as I knew the specs weren't impressive at all.

Still, there was this doubt somewhere inside that it could be the one that I could trade my Petrol manual Thar with. Not that I wasn't happy with my Thar. Just toying with the prospect of having an off road er with 5 door, slightly bigger boot and better economy. The human mind is never satisfied with what it currently possesses

Somehow this thread popped into my newsfeed off late and I read some encouraging reviews from Thar owners. Decided to go for a test ride anyways. I had automatic in mind as I was getting bit tired of manuals. That was another excuse actually to justify the test ride.

Honestly speaking, other than the ride quality, I didn't find anything impressive in the Jimny over my Thar. Here are the negatives I found...

1. Noisy engine. The whine is just irritating. Even my wife complained about that.
2. Low seating. I'm short. I just love the high seating of Thar. I don't have to stretch my neck and spine while off roading. I found the Jimny seating very low. Even if I stretch I can't see the left corner of the bonnet, thanks to a huge infotainment system that juts out in the center.
3. Lethargic engine. While I'm a laidback kind of driver, I do need that reserve power when required on the highways for overtaking. The Jimny doesn't give you that confidence at all.
4. Claustrophobic feeling. While I didn't notice it as all my eyes were on the road, my wife felt it claustrophobic in the Jimny.
5. The tyres. As long as you maintain momentum, the stock tyres might do the job. However, with stop and go on muddy trails, you'll find yourself shifting to 4L often.
6. Jimny is cute but I'm spoilt by the Machoness of Thar, especially my wife. The Jeep is a man thing for me. The mere sight of Thar in it's parking space makes me happy.

At the end of the test ride I was more than happy to be back in my Thar!

Last edited by vprao : 12th November 2023 at 17:09.
vprao is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 09:51   #2283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Has anyone installed side steps for the Jimny or rock sliders with a side step? Some of the shorter family members are voicing the need for one, especially for the back seat.
I got bimra4x4 rock sliders.
mathur2012 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 15:14   #2284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Did this today. A little bit of light on the shifter panel makes one feel good.
Attachment 2491250
--

Jai Hind!
Attachment 2491252
Dear Sankar,
Would request to kindly add details of your awesome enhancements to this thread. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post5644383 (Maruti Jimny Accessories & Modifications)

I guess its this one: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/pro...QENFRJN5&psc=1
Old 15th November 2023, 15:49   #2285

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Thank you. I think it looks much smarter now. I hate chrome with a vengeance.

Thank you! The grille is available from Suzuki abroad afaik and it comes in a few different variants. Amazed that Arena/Nexa didn't latch on to the aftermarket accessory market with more impactful mods. At the moment they are selling a bunch of junk.

Thank you. I got mine from Harman Impex but I think similar ones are available from other sellers at different budgets. Shop smart and don't overpay. All these claims of fit/finish are impossible to verify unless you have both the options right in front of you. They know this and they will exploit it.
Thanks so much for this. Do you know how I can get in touch with Harman Impex, or where they have dealerships? I've been trying to locate them for a while.
Old 15th November 2023, 18:33   #2286
BHPian

The stock front grill of the Jimny looks really out of place and ugly. I've been trying to live with it but after 2 weeks of having the car, I just couldn't take it anymore.

Found this at a local 4x4 store. Total cost including fitting was 7k. This looks so much better. Not sure why Maruti couldn't offer this as a genuine accesory.

Maruti Jimny Review-img202311151806482.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by asilvaspoon View Post
Do you know how I can get in touch with Harman Impex
This is their number - +9198210 10164

Last edited by cataclysm : 15th November 2023 at 18:45.
cataclysm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 18:44   #2287
BHPian

FE figures and long drive (800 km+) experience report:

Yesterday I drove my Jimny from Pahalgam to Gurgaon. Started at 05:15 hrs from JKTDC Hutment area. First stop was where Pahalgam road meets NH44. The trip mileage on ICE was 17.3 kmpl. This was with both front and rear defogger on.

Next stop was at the entry point of Chenani Nashri Tunnel from North side for a loo break. It was a downhill and FE was 22.6 kmpl, with almost 50% time front defogger on. No AC.

Next stop was at Haveli, Katra road entry point in Jammu for breakfast. FE was 18.9 kmpl. This section was with AC set between 24-25 deg C.

For rest of the route, AC was set between 24-25 deg C. And all trip FE could be seen in the attached ICE screen shot.

Reached Gurgaon home at 00:45 hrs. Total drive time was approx. 16.5 hours. Total travel time was 19.5 hours including breakfast, snacks, tea and loo breaks. Total travel distance was 884 km (via Jammu route). Air pressure was set at 26 psi foor cold tyres (top-up was done by myself with portable MGA tyre inflator at Srinagar before visiting Pahalgam). MY Jimny is of stock spec. with stock tyres (no external fitment which can interfere with CD).

I got little exhausted mostly because of n-no. of diversions between Jammu and Samba.

A big plus point of Jimny is the narrow width and compact size. The compactness of Jimny saved me from waiting behind traffic jams at few places.

I am attaching few photographs of our Jimny and the bright hue of fall colours in Srinagar.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img20231114wa00092.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img20231115wa0002.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img20231114wa00102.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img20231114wa0012.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img20231114wa0011.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img20231112wa0411.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_20231112_095458840_hdr2.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_20231111_080749892.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img20231111wa0143.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img20231111wa0048.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img20231111wa0013.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img20231110wa0055.jpg  

Last edited by RijuC : 15th November 2023 at 18:45.
RijuC is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 06:18   #2288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post

Yesterday I drove my Jimny from Pahalgam to Gurgaon. Started at 05:15 hrs from JKTDC Hutment area. First stop was where Pahalgam road meets NH44. The trip mileage on ICE was 17.3 kmpl. This was with both front and rear defogger on…..
Excellent shots! Have always wanted to see Kashmir in the fall. Your FE figures bore out my own experience with the Jimny on long drives. It can be as frugal as it can be thirsty. Depends entirely on how it’s driven and how it’s been modified.

On an unrelated note: I’m looking for 2 or 3 cars max company, to form a group to try and spot the elusive snow-leopard in Spiti in Jan-Feb ‘24. Anybody interested to jump on the plan, pls PM me. This will be a purely personal/expense shared plan and I strictly wish to avoid commercial tours.
SUVolens is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 08:53   #2289
Senior - BHPian

The Grandpa and Grandson having a stroll in the beach.
I love the Grandpa just that li'l more than the grandson .

Image credits : @gypsy_club_kerala_official
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-mazin_mahaboob_1700104117310690.jpg  

Bibendum90949 is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 10:10   #2290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post

Excellent pic..

Damn.. That Gypsy body shape is really something. I think it roots to the fact that we've all been longing for the Gypsy since childhood.

I wonder if someone could mount a Gypsy body on to a Jimny underpinnings with all the bells and whistles of the interior. It would be an interesting project.
dhanushs is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 11:56   #2291
BHPian

Quote:

That brings a lump to the throat. What an iconic design -- The Gypsy. Now when to think of it: if the Jimny is made open top, it is like 90% Gypsy. So uncanny.
Lovely image. Thanks!
asingh1977 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 12:23   #2292
Distinguished - BHPian

@Bibendum9049 - Thanks for the awesome image.

The targa band area is the key to that awesome design of - Gypsy of course.

Also one reason why I`m skeptical of 4-door hacks on such design, it`s going to turn these designs into an SUV, which is far less exotic in my opinion.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 12:45   #2293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asilvaspoon View Post
Thanks so much for this. Do you know how I can get in touch with Harman Impex, or where they have dealerships? I've been trying to locate them for a while.
Their contact number is 9821010164.
nazeer_ahamed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 13:55   #2294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post

Yesterday I drove my Jimny from Pahalgam to Gurgaon. Started at 05:15 hrs from JKTDC Hutment area. First stop was where Pahalgam road meets NH44. The trip mileage on ICE was 17.3 kmpl. This was with both front and rear defogger on.

Next stop was at the entry point of Chenani Nashri Tunnel from North side for a loo break. It was a downhill and FE was 22.6 kmpl, with almost 50% time front defogger on. No AC.

Next stop was at Haveli, Katra road entry point in Jammu for breakfast. FE was 18.9 kmpl. This section was with AC set between 24-25 deg C.
Lovely pics and insane mileage. It seems like Jimny is like Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde kind of persona. Here I am trying to get into high 8 to low 9 in chennai and not more than 13 kmpl in highways. Yours is manual or automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
On an unrelated note: I’m looking for 2 or 3 cars max company, to form a group to try and spot the elusive snow-leopard in Spiti in Jan-Feb ‘24. Anybody interested to jump on the plan, pls PM me. This will be a purely personal/expense shared plan and I strictly wish to avoid commercial tours.
Nothing unrelated here. Jimny does bring out the wanderlust in you. and for those who dont own one, they'll never get it. It's a Jimny thing.

My latest DIY. I found a way to disable the seat belt alarm for the rear seats. It's a simple DIY taking all of 4 minutes max for me. With this, I was able to remove the seat belt alarm from going off when it is not plugged in. Hope this video is self explanatory and useful. Towards the end, the front seat belt was clamped on and off to show the working display in the console.
Neil Roy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 14:07   #2295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
@Bibendum9049 -
The targa band area is the key to that awesome design of - Gypsy of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
That brings a lump to the throat. What an iconic design -- The Gypsy. Now
Lovely image. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

Damn.. That Gypsy body shape is really something. I think it roots to the fact that we've all been longing for the Gypsy since childhood.

project.
Quote:

l

You blokes gave me the perfect opening to try and fish for a few compliments on my beloved stock Gypsy on which Ive made the convertible top modification.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_4894.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks