Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2024, 18:02   #3121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivC View Post
Updated the Infotainment Software of Jimny Alpha from version 80TA.03.00 to version 80TA.07.00....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Lal View Post
I tried updating the software by following the instructions provided by you... Any suggestions to resolve this issue ?
It was exceptionally smooth for me. Just as documented by ShivC. Probably, your car "thinks" that you are in drive mode. Ensure, you are in ignition mode switch only and no android auto or car play already connected (offline your phone) to the headunit and retry.

Hth,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 11th April 2024 at 18:07.
bj96 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 10:19   #3122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post

The one change that I have made is adding a GAN tuning chip to the OBD port that gives better performance & drivability.

Letting a Few Pictures do the talking:
Please do post a detailed review of the GAN tuning chip. It looks like an interesting solution for a boost to the power and torque of my Grand Vitara also.
Old 13th April 2024, 18:50   #3123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Lal View Post
Any suggestions to resolve this issue ?
Was the handbrake applied properly? Most of the headunits don't allow BT pairing and other functions if handbrake in not applied.
medicineman1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 22:26   #3124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman1987 View Post
Was the handbrake applied properly? Most of the headunits don't allow BT pairing and other functions if handbrake in not applied.
Tried copying update file multiple times, using different pen drives but YES option never appeared. Throughout this process @ShivC spent lot of time with me to get this issue resolved.
Also did HU factory reset, removed battery terminal etc., but nothing happened. What @bj96 said - car ‘thinks’ that you are in drive mode - was very close to the solution but I could not reach there.
It was finally @medicineman1987 post to check if handbrake is applied. The moment I pulled up the handbrake & inserted update pen drive, ‘YES’ popped up. Actually being an AT vehicle, I never use handbrake. Many many thanks to medicineman1987 for his valuable tip.
In the whole process of updating HU one good thing happened - I made a new friend, dear Shiv. I found him very helpful & and a wonderful person.

Last edited by Rahul Lal : 13th April 2024 at 22:28.
Rahul Lal is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 17:39   #3125
BHPian

Hello

Just wanted to know if everyone's Jimny has uneven idling?

My MT fluctuates while idling and the RPM needles moves up and down by around 50-100 RPM. This is a regular behaviour and it doesn't matter whether the car is cold or has ran for 100kms.
Old 14th April 2024, 17:53   #3126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Just wanted to know if everyone's Jimny has uneven idling?
Hi Torque18,
Mine is a AT, but the idle is steady once the engine has warmed up. By any chance is it happening when the AC compressor is kicking in and out?
Old 14th April 2024, 20:43   #3127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
Hi Torque18,
Mine is a AT, but the idle is steady once the engine has warmed up. By any chance is it happening when the AC compressor is kicking in and out?
Hey,
No, the issue persists with the AC switched off.
Old 14th April 2024, 21:48   #3128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Hey,
No, the issue persists with the AC switched off.
Also check if this happens when cooling fan starts or stop.
Rahul Lal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 16:08   #3129
BHPian

The Jimny made its first trip to the mountains in Himachal. It saw all sorts of terrain, right from lovely, smooth tarmac, broken roads, roads with black ice, and rutted tracks. The gearbox got a proper workout this time, and I used the L and 2 option a fair bit in tricky areas. I'll summarize all my observations below.

1) The great 'Power' debate: The best way to describe it is 'adequate'. I had to overtake plenty of slower traffic on the climbs and it was absolutely stress free. Once you figure out the gearbox, it is really no issue getting the power out. Of course, this is with just me and my gear and luggage in the car. Even on the highways in the plains, I find the car to be a competent cruiser, and that is because*of my driving style. Depending on road conditions, I stick it in cruise somewhere between 80-95, and drive using mainly the toggle buttons on the steering wheel. I also don't find this 'being bullied off the road' thing to be true (and I live in Delhi, which is not exactly populated with Tibetan monks!). I think these issues occur if you try to take on vehicles that are moving really fast, say well above the 100kmph mark. In that band, the Jimny will be completely out of its comfort zone, and is it is like expecting a mountain bike to win the Tour de France! I also let Prime Ministers/Potential Prime Ministers/Avengers and other superheroes overtake me regardless of what their current vehicle of choice is. The moment I see 'enthusiasm/urgency/lunacy' in the rear view mirror, I will go above and beyond to ensure they pass me and head on towards their objective, whether it be world domination or suicide

2) Fuel consumption: Start to finish, I averaged 14.1 kmpl. I was very pleasantly surprised, because a lot of the local driving in Himachal was on unsurfaced or broken paths. In addition, I got stuck a few times in Manali's traffic jams. Around 14 kmpl is what I get in the city as well!

3) Turning radius: Not an issue once you get the hang of it. I made a lot of hair pin bend type turns on the mud/stone tracks connecting villages to the main roads. I need to reverse maybe 3-4 times, and that was mainly because I was making doubly sure I don't take the 'short cut' all the way down.

4) Nostalgia taken a little too far: There is plenty of old school charm to the Jimny and I absolutely love the car. One thing that is outrageously bad, and unforgivable is the music system! If you love your music, you will be astounded at how bad the sound system is. For those of you who go back to the times when driving dad's Padmini or Ambassador to college made you the hero of the day, remember the tape deck first music system you fitted in the car for 3000 Rs all in (at the recommendation of the local car accessory car no less - 'made in Japan only saar')? Yeah, it is that bad!

5) The Start Stop is not that bad: It is only when you are offroading that you need to have it off. Even then, if you forgot to turn it off, it's just a push of a button. The other situation you might want it off is in really bad traffic. My car is an auto, so maybe on the manuals it could be a bit more frustrating.

6) Ride quality: Absolutely fantastic. It is only when you misjudge how bad the road is that you get a bit of rude reminder to slow down. Especially those innocuous looking series of ruts running across mud roads - man, you will sway about like a drunken sailor on shore leave. If you are travelling with a co passenger, you are absolutely sure to have a 'headbanging' session.

7) Fuel tank capacity: It is small, but with the predictable mileage, it is not that much of a big deal for regular touring. However, personally I carried a 20 litre jerry can because I did not want to plan my routes based on the availability of fuel bunks. It was more of an insurance policy though (just like my shovel!), I used up the jerry can only on the way back home.

8) Skinny tyres - The stock tyres have proven themselves to be very competent. They've performed adequately in gravel, rocks, mud, fine desert sand and ice. I have not tried them in deep snow, but with my snow chains I don't think it will really be an issue. The only place I think these tyres might struggle is in very deep, sticky mud, the really hardcore stuff. I am sure a knobbly A/T tyre will make a big difference in that scenario. Putting that aside, the only real reason to upgrade would be for the stance and looks, which I don't care about.

9) Vote of confidence: The locals have really taken to the Jimny. the place is swarming with them. One of the few places you get to see a bunch of Gypsies too, many of them with beautiful, functional mods. The only reason I got a few stares was because of my number plate - the broad consensus seems to have been that I was either lost, stupid or both.

10) Fancy Motorcycles always need to have their hazards on: There is a rule in Himachal Pradesh that if you are riding a fancy touring bike, you MUST ride with your indicators flashing. You are free to choose the pattern of blinking etc, but on no account must you use the indicators for their originally intended purpose. The good thing is that I saw 95 percent of the people diligently following this rule
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-jimny.jpg  

Lone Ranger is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 18:23   #3130

Hello All,
I am a newbie here. I am seriously considering a Jimny Alpha AT. Are there discounts still available? The local NEXA showroom (Sikanderpur in Gurgaon) is offering only 50K. The sales guy also mentioned Maruti will revise prices on April 17th (he was non-committal on whether the revision would be upwards or downwards ) Anyhow if someone knows of a showroom where better discounts are available, please share.
Sukh4030 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 08:58   #3131
BHPian

10,000 km in my Jimny AT: Ownership experience in the city

Im guessing several Jimny owners have by now crossed, or will soon cross 10,000km, and hence thought of a post to collate all long-term reviews.

Here goes with my own expereince of 10,550 km in my Jimny AT.

It’s been around 9 months since I took possession of the top-end Jimny automatic, and while I hear the stories of dismal sales figures, I thought it best to pen down my experience with the car I drive almost every single day and bust some myths along the way. My top pros and cons…

What I love:

1. She’s got the look! [The Look by ROXETTE]: Yes, looks matter! The Jimny looks every inch what it is viz, a nimble mountain goat. It is compact – and compared to the Thar, Fortuner and others like them – it looks downright small. But the look is a classic, and wont age, but will keep getting better and better. It still garners a lot of attention (if you like that kind of stuff!) but the bottom-line is that it looks stunning! For me – more a Nayantara than a Jayalalitha fan – I cant think of a car with a more interesting and awesome look. It is smashingly good looking!

2. Find a way to my heart, and I will follow you [Way to my heart by PHIL COLLINS]!: That little 4x4 gear, next to the main gear shift, and what it stands for, is what makes this vehicle total “paisa vasool”!!! While I almost never use it in the city, just having that little second gear stick is such joy! It speaks of thrills, it speaks of adventures untold, of fun and mountains and long drives. Of adventure is just around the corner! It is – the – most incredible thing to look at when you get into the driver’s seat!

3. Life is a highway, I’m wonna ride it all night long! [by RASCAL FLATTS]: ‘Nuf said about the engine, which is unbelievably smooth and refined, and when driven right, has loads of power on tap. In every situation. Yes, it does sound whiny (but is not) and yes, I did have to change my driving style a bit, but I have rarely seen such smooth power delivery at high revs! Again, pure joy! Switch off the overdrive, and it becomes a rocket!

4. I can’t help, falling in love with you [Can’t help falling by ELVIS]: As they say, with great chassis comes great tech. The cruise control is stuck in the 90s, the wiper and light controls are straight from the Marutis of the early 2000s, but all else is modern and very, very user friendly. The dashboard looks retro, and I love it! Wireless Android and Apple, a decent trip meter, good music (surprisingly good!), great navigation set-up, and a welcome greeting that you can customize and have some fun with! What is missing is TPMS, a compass on the dashboard, a level, and an auto-dimming rear-view mirror, which should be there for a car at this price point.

5. There's always gonna be another mountain; I'm always gonna wanna make it move [Climb by MILEY CYRUS]: The Jimny is its best on uneven roads, particularly the non-standard and often mind-bogglingly badly designed speed breakers around Mumbai, and I find myself not slowing down. Bad patches of road – no problem! Uneven surfaces – piece of cake! Given the shoddy standards of our Municipal corporation, and despite our CM promising pot-hole free roads, those remain a pipe dream, and make the Jimny worth its weight in gold! And the narrow dimensions are a gift when finding parking in a city which has almost none, and navigating through traffic (of which the city has plenty!).

What could be better:

1. Wind in my hair / Shifting and drifting / Mechanical music / Adrenaline surge [Red Barchetta by RUSH]: All that is good and great, but with my foot on the A pedal, and the AC on in the city, I do cartwheels of joy if I get a fuel average in double digits. For a relatively small car, this compares quite poorly with the 8 kmpl of a Thar petrol automatic.

2. Well they tempt you, man, with silver / And they tempt you, sir, with gold [Pink Cadillac by SPRINGSTEEN]: But don’t get tempted to drive rashly, ‘coz the brakes don’t take hold! Well, to be honest, they do work, but have this spongy feeling that needs getting used to. Would have loved to see red or yellow disk brake callipers, which would add both form and function to the Jimny.

3. So I remember when we were driving, driving in your car / Speed so fast it felt like I was drunk [Fast Car by TRACY CHAPMAN]: The other thing which feels drunken is the elephantine turning radius which is, honestly, just too large, sometimes preventing even a simple U-turn on Mumbai’s two-lane narrow roads. And yes, so though we do have a fast car which can fly away, it needs gentle curved roads in order to do so!

4. I like 'em pimped out (pimped out), to ride on (ride on) / And when we're rollin', everybody's eyes on [Pimped out by BROKE V]: For a car that is crying out to be accessorized, that is built to be jazzed-up, that aches to be modified, the rather lackadaisical ‘pimp’alisciousness of the official accessories leaves much to be desired. The car art – not very creative. The list of accessories, quite boring, and I felt several accessories took away from the good looks of the car. Leads many owners to turn to imports and non-standard equipment. For a cult car like the Jimny, this is an area that requires more attention, and can make a huge difference in building an off-road community!

Which brings me to my conclusion: It is a great, lovely, fun to drive vehicle. I still find myself taking every opportunity to take it for a ride, and I hope that never changes. It still brings a smile to my face when I look at it, which becomes a grin when I drive it, and a roar of pleasure when I DRIVE it! It is my favourite car right now, so let me end with a lyric from the BEATLES song: Baby you can drive my car / Yes I’m going to be a star / Baby you can drive my car / And baby I love you!

Personal views, but I hope you find them useful!
pheru8b is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 10:02   #3132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukh4030 View Post
Hello All,
I am a newbie here. I am seriously considering a Jimny Alpha AT. Are there discounts still available? The local NEXA showroom (Sikanderpur in Gurgaon) is offering only 50K. The sales guy also mentioned Maruti will revise prices on April 17th (he was non-committal on whether the revision would be upwards or downwards ) Anyhow if someone knows of a showroom where better discounts are available, please share.
Not sure if this helps you, there is one advertisement in the classified for Jimny.
If you are okay with used one, can think about it. Mostly discounts are now dried up. I am talking about Maharashtra.
Nature&Me is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 11:41   #3133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukh4030 View Post
Hello All,
The local NEXA showroom (Sikanderpur in Gurgaon) is offering only 50K.
One of my acquaintance recently bought Jimny Alpha AT at 13.7 Lakhs OTR, GGN. I am not sure whether any accessories or extended warranty is included in this price or not, whether the unit is MY23 or MY24 etc.

Your target discount should be in the same ballpark figure, irrespective of what ABCD the salesperson of that PASCO NEXA Sikanderpur speaks.

MSIL dealerships are hiding a never ending MY23 inventory and their MY24 units can never sell at full price in India. 13.5-14 Lakhs on the road (OTR) price for Delhi-NCR is the fair price for Alpha AT variant. Try with NEXA dealerships in outskirts of NCR region like Manesar (Platinum), Alipur (Sohna), Jind, Karnal, Faridabad, Greater Noida etc. Dump Gurgaon dealerships, don't waste your time and energy with GGN fellows.

Don't sign the cheque on basis of their false hype of no inventory, expected price increase, only export production is happening now etc etc. Otherwise wait for year end months for your purchase.

Last edited by RijuC : 16th April 2024 at 11:43.
RijuC is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 12:57   #3134
BHPian

Hi
My jimny gives a pretty loud hissing sound whenever fuel cap is opened.
It is rather unusual. I have other vehicles used similarly and have never seen this before.
Should I worry?
Old 16th April 2024, 16:50   #3135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Hi
My jimny gives a pretty loud hissing sound whenever fuel cap is opened...
If it is just after shutting off the engine after a drive, I think, it is normal due to the fuel pump pressurising the system. The compressed air in the system hisses out when you open the cap.

Last edited by bj96 : 16th April 2024 at 17:07.
bj96 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks