Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2024, 09:07   #2986
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
A nicely articulated point of view. And good information ref the 2023 models and discounts.

Just to satisfy my own cat-like curiosity, which vehicle would you consider worthy, as per your own estimation, of the choices available at the present moment, to toss away the 15 lacs on?
I would likely go in the direction of a used Isuzu Vcross.
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 09:49   #2987
RDS
BHPian

My Jimny is done with first Service from Motorcraft Nexa Sector 57 Noida after doing approx 1100 Kms in a little over a month.

Three people who serviced the vehicle were Satish (Main Service Advisor), Arvind (Mechanic who serviced the vehicle) and Jasvir (Workshop Manager).

Thanks to some people who have taken their Jimnys there, these people knew how to mount the vehicle, which oil filter and oil to use, how to drain the oil and so on.

To ensure that the service was done properly, I was with vehicle the whole time.
Initially the back left mount point was not aligned well but after I mentioned, it was corrected.

The spare parts store guy doesn't understand oils, it seems!! When asked for oil, he showed various synthetic oils like the manufacturer recommended oil doesn't matter - so feel free to pick up any synthetic you want. Oil is One type- just Oil.

The center did not have 0W-16 can, hence drum oil 0W-16 was used. It was Ecstar 0W-16 Synthetic Shell made (right one but in drum). I plan to take a can for next oil change myself.

Although they had the can filled earlier from drum, they re-did the whole process in front of me from relevant drum, with exact 3600 ml measurement. Drum oil taxable billed amount was ₹1464.37 at ₹406.77 per litre.

Oil Filter was also changed and I didn't have to tell them which one to use.
Other normal checks were also done.

I further got anti-rust underbody and silencer treatment done. In long term, I have found issues creeping in vehicles, hence upfront protection that I intend to continue.

Overall, my service experience was good.
I would not get Jimny serviced without me standing by side though - makes a huge difference.

Last edited by RDS : 25th February 2024 at 09:57.
RDS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 11:11   #2988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Just to satisfy my own cat-like curiosity, which vehicle would you consider worthy, as per your own estimation, of the choices available at the present moment, to toss away the 15 lacs on?
Since my answer doesn't even threaten let alone kill curious cats, here it is.

Before i explain where i go to, first let me introduce where i come from...always had a jungle/farm/dog co-passenger life for the past 3 decades of driving so the one car in the garage kept to address that has been, in order of appearance if memory serves me right - Versa/Scorpio/Fiat Adventure/Ford Fusion/Maruti Gypsy/Nissan Evalia (though I had the Ashok Leyland version of it)/Creta/Carens.

So the seat folding, boot picnicking, storage providing, sturdy riding, rough road handling, abuse tolerating and dog accessing were all done to reasonable measure providing some base benchmarks of expectations.

The cherry on the top would have been the off road capability of a 4x4 that can't be beat when on a light Suzuki. So the pressure was really only on the Jimny to be this indulgent purchase. It sadly refused to indulge me back, falling short of critical to me essentials provided by any earlier benchmark, including the Gypsy.

Now, where do I go from here. Mahindra or Tata dont feature on my horizon. The Citroen C3 Aircross flitted by favourably as sturdy, well off the ground, compact, practical...but my Carens offers the same or more, except feels like taking a suit to sewage when loaded with dogs and on forest trails. To add, the need was for a 4x4 or RWD + ladder frame + high torque Engine.

I'm seeing a comment by Redliner. I should call you READliner, for you read between my lines so perfectly! The Isuzu is where iv headed. One test ride later, I'm literally booked and metaphorically hooked and cooked! I'm glad to have stayed in the Japanese fold, and will continue turning my head to look at the far better looking Jimny even as I sit more satisfied with this choice.
AnAntinspired is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 12:31   #2989
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAntinspired View Post
been, in order of appearance if memory serves me right - Versa/Scorpio/Fiat Adventure/Ford Fusion/Maruti Gypsy/Nissan Evalia (though I had the Ashok Leyland version of it)/Creta/Carens.

The Isuzu is where iv headed. One test ride later, I'm literally booked and metaphorically hooked and cooked! I'm glad to have stayed in the Japanese fold, and will continue turning my head to look at the far better looking Jimny even as I sit more satisfied with this choice.

Well done brother! Yours is an honest and genuine use case unlike most of the rest of ours. Most of us buy Jeepy things only so as to indulge our inner Indiana Jones personas; which alter-ego, alter-persona is shrieking stridently throughout all of our waking hours, to be let out of our strip-lit cubicles and unleashed into the wide blue or green yonder, in the manner of a blithe spirit (or genie) out-of-the-bottle, depending on your persuasion.

In your case, clearly, the Isuzu makes solid sense.

Me, I simply don't need a Jeep. I just require a commuter car which can do highway duty too. My present little pet Dog hates cars. She feels ill when taken for a drive. So the fact of my presently owning a Thar and a Gypsy is ONLY to serve my alter-ego (and enable me to wear a Hat and pretend that I am John Wayne in Hatari!)

But the crux of all this agonizing is that I so badly want a Jimny it is like a physical ache. No idea why.

I guess there is no cure for this ‘teenager’s first crush’ type of irrational mental state.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th February 2024 at 12:41.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 14:41   #2990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post

Would you have an opinion on rear seat comfort for the family across long drives (5-6 hours)? Would you say it's a practical tourer for a family of 4?
My 2 cents on this.

It is a practical tourer for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids across long drives (5-6 hours). My kids sit in the rear seat and love our drives.

I will repeat what has been said earlier- if this is your only use case- then you will get better options in the same price range.
But when the roads turn to no-roads, it brings a smile to your face.
The Jimny reminds me of the Star Trek's famous opening monologue- " To boldly go where no man (read-car) has gone before"
MobileThunder is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 19:27   #2991
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
I contacted 3 dealers in Bangalore yesterday, and all of them have the same story to tell, i.e. discounts are on offer for 2023 models and not for 2024 ones.
@dearchichi, Discounts are available for 2023 models close to 2 lacs depending upon the stock and colour here down south kerala,Trivandrum.One dealer is offering 1.5 for MT and 1.25 for AT + 5yrs or 50K service+labour+spares free+Insurance.The same dealer has close to 14 cars, which was 18 in January 2024.Guess the movement of their stocks are pretty slow.Attaching their availability status.
For 2024 models guess you will have to wait.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-whatsapp-image-20240225-19.12.46.jpeg  

arunedwin is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 21:58   #2992

Hello everyone,

I took delivery of a '23 Jimny Alpha AT 3 days ago and have done only about 150KMs (completely in 2H mode) . Wanted to quickly check if the following are commonly experienced by other Jimny owners:

1. When braking at relatively high speeds of 80+kmph, I noticed that the steering wobbles. It feels like wrapped rotors, but it's a brand new car. Has anyone else faced this?

2. There are humming/rubbing sounds that increase with speed and are independent of the engine RPM. It sounds like it is coming from the front axle, but not sure yet. Is this normal? Would these sounds reduce as the vehicle breaks-in? These humming sounds overpower the engine noise at speeds above 70-80kmph.

These 2 issues are nagging me and wanted to know if this normal on the Jimny.

Thank you!

Last edited by KarthikK : 25th February 2024 at 22:09.
Old 26th February 2024, 08:34   #2993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujwal1989 View Post

2. There are humming/rubbing sounds that increase with speed
I think that’s the Transfercase whine that you hear. It’s indeed prominent in a new Jimny. Fellow owners can confirm if it goes away with time.
Old 26th February 2024, 08:58   #2994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujwal1989 View Post
Hello everyone,

I took delivery of a '23 Jimny Alpha AT 3 days ago and have done only about 150KMs (completely in 2H mode) . Wanted to quickly check if the following are commonly experienced by other Jimny owners:

1. When braking at relatively high speeds of 80+kmph, I noticed that the steering wobbles. It feels like wrapped rotors, but it's a brand new car. Has anyone else faced this?

2. There are humming/rubbing sounds that increase with speed and are independent of the engine RPM. It sounds like it is coming from the front axle, but not sure yet. Is this normal? Would these sounds reduce as the vehicle breaks-in? These humming sounds overpower the engine noise at speeds above 70-80kmph.

These 2 issues are nagging me and wanted to know if this normal on the Jimny.

Thank you!
1. I noticed the steering wobble on mine also, but this has disappeared now. I had noticed it twice on a long trip (started the trip when the odo was about 340 km - noticed it when weaving through a highway barricade. Subsequently it disappeared - I tested the car yesterday and tried to brake from about 80 or 90 km and still did not experience it.
2. Yes - I also experience the humming sound at high speed - possibly the transfer case. I think this is normal also.
Old 26th February 2024, 10:40   #2995
BHPian

Hello owners of the Jimmy: how stable is the Jimny on the highway? FYI, I am a very sedate driver, have crossed 100 probably 10 times in my life! Not a pedal to metal guy at all but don't want the family to have a heart attack if a stray animal suddenly crosses the divider when we're going at 80 and I need to brake/swerve(has happened a few times in the past). Does it wobble at heavy braking, something all reviewers seem to mention? I'm quite liking the car but just wanted to check with present owners if there is any matter of grave concern. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Evyas : 26th February 2024 at 10:42. Reason: Spelling, reviewing format
Old 26th February 2024, 12:41   #2996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evyas View Post
I'm quite liking the car but just wanted to check with present owners if there is any matter of grave concern. Thanks in advance.
As you have said you are a sedate driver so there shouldn't be any problem. If you remain at a speed of 80-100 on the highway, the car is quite planted. Speeds higher than that will be slightly iffy as the wind noise goes up. This is mostly due to the boxy shape of the car. As far as the stray animal braking bit goes, sudden braking might be trickier than a hatch or sedan if the surface is uneven. You'll notice this on rumble type speed bumps where the rear tends to have a mind of its own. Others in the forum have pointed this out. other than that braking from moderate speed is no problem. The ABS also works fine. I don't know about high speeds as have never driven over 80-90 with occasional 100.
sanhan10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 12:49   #2997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS View Post
My Jimny is done with first Service from Motorcraft Nexa Sector 57 Noida after doing approx 1100 Kms in a little over a month.
What is the recommended oil change mileage for the Jimny please? I've just done my second service a few weeks back (Odo about 3600Kms). No oils change was done in mine on the 1st or 2nd service. The service centre ( Bimal Nexa Guwahati) told me that the change will be done during the third service.

Last edited by KarthikK : 26th February 2024 at 19:11. Reason: Fixed the broken quote tags
Old 26th February 2024, 15:43   #2998
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanhan10 View Post
What is the recommended oil change mileage for the Jimny please? I've just done my second service a few weeks back (Odo about 3600Kms). No oils change was done in mine on the 1st or 2nd service. The service centre ( Bimal Nexa Guwahati) told me that the change will be done during the third service.
As far as I remember, recommendation is within 1 year/10K Kms.

I would still suggest to go ahead and get oil+oil filter changed irrespective of what Nexa guys say. During first 1000 miles or so, engine break-in period, metal impurities usually are very high.

I have never seen a professional mechanic taking this lightly, and all of them are fairly aggressive proponents of oil change after first 1000 Kms irrespective of what manufacturer says.

On negative side, oil change doesn't harm one bit while on positive, it can help engine stay trouble free for many (thousands) extended miles.

Last edited by KarthikK : 26th February 2024 at 19:13. Reason: Fixed the broken quote tags
RDS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 15:52   #2999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS View Post

As far as I remember, recommendation is within 1 year/10K Kms.

I would still suggest to go ahead and get oil+oil filter changed irrespective of what Nexa guys say
Thank you. My car has done approx 4k kms now. Maybe I can have the oil checked and change it now.

Last edited by KarthikK : 26th February 2024 at 19:13. Reason: Fixed the broken quote tags
Old 26th February 2024, 18:58   #3000

@dhanushs That makes sense. I really hope it reduced with time.

@motorguy Thanks for confirming and also replicating the scenario practically. I just now saw in the Owners Manual that hard braking during the first 300+ Kms must be avoided. Learnt something new and I hope the wobble goes away after a few hundred KMs in my vehicle as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks