Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2024, 18:28   #3076
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Serious sound from my Jimny

Hello fellow TBHPians.

I have a Jimmy Zeta AT which has clocked 6000 km. After the 2nd service @5000 there is a sound coming from the car.

#It is metallic - like something is being obstructed. Somewhat like a 'spanner in the wheel' feeling.
#It's quite loud - such that people on the road are stunned by it.
#It does not stop if the brake is pressed.
# It stops if the car is halted immediately.
#The sound is not continuous but happens only sometimes for about 5-15 seconds.
#There is no way to tell when it will come - but it mostly occurs when the car is between 30-50 kmph and the foot is either off the A pedal or just lightly touching it. RPMs are around 1500-2000 and it specially happens when there is down gradient.
#Never happened uphill (I live in Dehradun and our drives are mostly on hilly terrain).
#Never happened at speeds above 50-60 kmph
#All driving is 2 wheel and the gear slotted in D

I recently drove from Dehradun - Kasauli - Chandigarh - Dehradun and the sound did not occur when I was on the highway doing anywhere between 70-90 kmph. It occurred only on the downslope of hills and when I was at slower speeds.

To me it seems to come from somewhere in the centre or rear-ish part of the car. Could it be the shaft? Or the Transfer Case? Or rear differential?

Here are 2 recordings:

Jimny_noise.zip

I took the car to NEXA, GMS Road Dehradun and they hoisted it to check if anything is loose. But everything looks alright. They turned the wheels to see if there is any play in the shaft but that also looked okay.

They couldn't diagnose the issue despite the noise occurring with the expert mechanic on the wheel. They then escalated the issue to the Maruti Regional Office. Two persons from the MSIL office took a road test and I shared the recordings with them, but they also did not have a clue about the reason.

So now they've asked me to leave the car with the workshop - which I agreed to do on the condition that they give me a replacement vehicle. Until the replacement vehicle arrives the Jimny is with me.

I am hoping that experts on our forum would be able to throw some light on why this is happening and what could be the issue.

Thanks

Last edited by dileep : 20th March 2024 at 18:30.
dileep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 12:22   #3077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post

Note:
Maruti recommends only rotation at 5k kms.

-BJ
Are you sure about this? the manual says to rotate the tyres every 10,000 km.
Attached Images

arjunsatheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 13:51   #3078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post

Hello fellow TBHPians.

I have a Jimmy Zeta AT which has clocked 6000 km. After the 2nd service @5000 there is a sound coming from the car.

#It is metallic - like something is being obstructed. Somewhat like a 'spanner in the wheel' feeling.
what was the loading pattern in the car during the time you were hearing the sound?
Get the rear differential oil level checked also

Last edited by arjab : 21st March 2024 at 13:55.
arjab is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 16:08   #3079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
what was the loading pattern in the car during the time you were hearing the sound?
There are mostly two persons (including driver) and a load of 25-30 kg on those trips. But the sound also occurs when I'm single in the car and no other load.

Once the Jimny goes back to the workshop I'll suggest that they check differential oil also.

Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 16:08   #3080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post

To me it seems to come from somewhere in the centre or rear-ish part of the car. Could it be the shaft? Or the Transfer Case? Or rear differential?
Hi Dileep,

Please get the both (Front & Rear) the differential oils changed quickly with the recommended viscosity & grade (SUZUKI SUPER GEAR OIL 75W-85 SYNTHETIC) of 2.9 litres.

What I suspect is that these differentials are having a breather where water can get inside it during high pressure washing or driving in too high water levels.

Please see below thread from fellow Bhpian chsai on water entering the front differential when driving his Jimny during heavy rains last year:
Water ingress in front differential of brand new Maruti Jimny

I also suggest that the Jimny owners to buy the Service Manual which will be very handy.
bobbyblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 18:03   #3081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunsatheesh View Post
Are you sure about this? the manual says to rotate the tyres every 10,000 km.
Depends on where you look and what you're comfortable with?

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny_tyre_rotation.jpg

Ref- maintenance schedule- page# 305, section 9-4, Jimny Owner's Manual PDF.

Cheers,
-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 18:54   #3082
BHPian

Took the delivery of Jimny White Zeta AT yesterday. Delivery was smooth and overall buying experience was great.

I have opted below official accessories:
1. Floor Mats
2. Graphics on Door and Bonnet
3. LED Door Sill Guard

In addition, I have ordered few accessories from Amazon

1. Dashboard Tray
2. Center Console Storage
3. Bottle Holder

Also ordered, the dual driver and co-driver armrest from streettracklife. Link: https://streettracklife.com/products...B&_ss=e&_v=1.0

I am planning to get the below upgrades:

1. Grill change with vintage logo
2. Aluminum Full roof rack
3. Rear Ladder
4. 235 AT Tires
5. 3M CR70 tints on windows and front windshield

I drove around 200 kms so far. In comparison with my Thar, I feel Jimny's suspension is really soft which makes the Jimny very comfortable to drive. It glides through everything without transferring much to the cabin. No swaying like the Thar.
Steering feel is also slightly better compared to my Thar (from early batch). I am aware that its not fair to compare a Jimny with Thar, but still these are my perspectives.

I want to upgrade to 235's with out a lift kit for now. I am sure that it will rub with fenders during extreme articulation. Not sure if that would make a compromise on the level of comfort.
I felt the power is sufficient for normal usage. Quick overtakes in high speeds is not that easy though.
Wireless Car Play is really great which I miss in my Thar.

I was aware of most of the short comings of Jimny while making the decision to buy one.
Along with the same, I wish Jimny came with illuminated gear position indicator.
And there is good amount of vibration in 4-L gear lever which is not to my liking.
Auto Start Stop system is really irritating.

Maruti Jimny Review-img_0447.jpg
Maruti Jimny Review-img_0450.jpg
Maruti Jimny Review-img_0457.jpg
MithunSathianat is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 18:01   #3083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
I want to upgrade to 235's with out a lift kit for now. I am sure that it will rub with fenders during extreme articulation.
For me with 235/75/15 MT it was rubbing on each and every turn. But may depend on the width of the wheel, mine is 7J. On a stock wheel it may not rub at all, but I guess ideally 235 needs to be paired with 6-8J wheels. After cutting the bumpers slightly, almost 95% of the time it doesn't rub at all, hopefully with the lift kit it will be fully gone.
GT145 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 18:44   #3084
BHPian

Provisional results declared for the finale of Rock N Road Season 1 from Goa. Final results will be declared at the briefing later tonight at ITC Grand.

First Place: Mihir Dharkar from Mumbai. Second Place: Shantanu Grover from Delhi. Third place: Gurmeet Virdi from Chandigarh.

Few shots of the carnage from today. The broken cars belong to the organizers. I heard two of these will have to be totaled. Likely the ones with chassis damage:

Maruti Jimny Review-20240323_131050.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-20240323_142041.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-20240323_160959.jpg

Last edited by pepega : 23rd March 2024 at 18:47.
pepega is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 22:19   #3085
Senior - BHPian

I finished 10000 km today in mine. Been such a pleasure thus far. I've done plenty of off-roads as well. I participated in the Bangalore leg of 4/4 masters two weekends ago.

I still have mine as bone stock. After giving it the synthetic oil, the engine is a lot more refined.

I don't know if I've got used to the car or otherwise, but I no longer find it sluggish.

Including a few pictures through the journey to 10k km.
Maruti Jimny Review-img_3827.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3785.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_8710.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3747.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_2998.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_2930.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_4873.jpeg
jkrishnakj is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 12:20   #3086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post

There are suspension upgrades available but I wouldn’t trade the fantastic ride quality for sharper handling. It is a car best enjoyed at moderate speeds, and really does put a smile on your face, which turns into an outright giggle when you show it some offroad trails 😁.
Can't agree more. The stock version has the best ride quality and the smiles it brings on Offroad trails is unmatched. Happy Jimnying!!
MobileThunder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 12:42   #3087
BHPian

Changed the grill, added a cupholder and upgraded the tyres to 235/75/15 Roadcruza AT’s. Did a mild offroading as well.
No rubbing anywhere as of now.
Maruti Jimny Review-img_0529.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_0536.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_0525.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_0523.jpeg
MithunSathianat is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 14:45   #3088
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the Jimny monthly production of 5000 units is being sold without too much of an issue. It's number 3 in exports in February. 4000+ units exported.

Maruti Jimny Review-carexportsfeb2024.jpg

Link

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 14:55   #3089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Looks like the Jimny monthly production of 5000 units is being sold without too much of an issue. It's number 3 in exports in February. 4000+ units exported.

Attachment 2587629

Link

Drive on,
Shibu
How come there is not a single Tata product in the list? They do have a presence in South Africa and some other countries.
Old 28th March 2024, 15:43   #3090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
How come there is not a single Tata product in the list? They do have a presence in South Africa and some other countries.
It appears that the data is incomplete as the Total number is incorrect by thousands

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks