Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2009, 14:18   #691
BHPian

Haven't seen a single Punto on road till date in either Delhi or Noida. Had expected that after the Linea, Fiat might have gained some trust and Punto would be doing OK sales.

In comparison have seen Honda Jazz atleast four times (which was launched after the Punto). This doesn't bode too well for Fiat. I feel even if the product picks-up later on, it will just about break even for Fiat.

In my office have discussed about Punto with some colleagues and they dismissed Fiat at once and started harping on Ritz, Dzire and other cars. Still a lot of challenges need to be overcome by Fiat to gain acceptance among the average Indian middle class.
Old 14th July 2009, 14:23   #692
Senior - BHPian

Jessie, Jazz was launched before G Punto!

The deliveries for Punto have just begun, so we can spot them in the coming days.
Old 14th July 2009, 14:47   #693
Senior - BHPian

Punto deliveries are starting from today in Mumbai. Dealership told me that they have 26 deliveries lined up for the Punto. That's just one dealer.

The Jazz is a Honda, it will sell. You can sell dust in India if you pack it in a box and badge it Honda.

People talking about Ritz and Dzire will always happen. Fiat will never be able to challenge Maruti in India despite having products that are light years ahead.
Old 14th July 2009, 16:43   #694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
Haven't seen a single Punto on road till date in either Delhi or Noida. Had expected that after the Linea, Fiat might have gained some trust and Punto would be doing OK sales.

In comparison have seen Honda Jazz atleast four times (which was launched after the Punto). This doesn't bode too well for Fiat. I feel even if the product picks-up later on, it will just about break even for Fiat.

In my office have discussed about Punto with some colleagues and they dismissed Fiat at once and started harping on Ritz, Dzire and other cars. Still a lot of challenges need to be overcome by Fiat to gain acceptance among the average Indian middle class.
It is higly unrealistic to expect Fiat to sell as many cars as Maruti, Honda or Hyundai. The Puntos are being delivered only now, so you can expect to see a few on the road in the coming weeks.

Re. your colleagues - I wonder how many of them have actually driven a Fiat (any Fiat). Most Fiat buyers buy them knowing full well about the poor reputation Fiat A.S.C.s have, that is saying a lot about the cars that Fiat builds. Just to speculate, I wonder (again) how many Ritz, Dzire and other cars could be sold if they had a A.S.S. with a reputation that matched Fiat's!

Fiat has always (since the 1950's) built unabashedly driver oriented cars.

Cheers,
Old 14th July 2009, 17:21   #695
BHPian

I have been seeing Punto more regularly than I expect, but with temporary numbers. No, they are not test drive cars. So, delivery must have started quite sometime back. Surprising to know that it is not yet started in some other cities.
Old 14th July 2009, 18:04   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit;1383561.....That's just one dealer.
[I

The Jazz is a Honda, it will sell. You can sell dust in India if you pack it in a box and badge it Honda.
[/i]

People talking about Ritz and Dzire will always....
amit, that reminds me one of those Top Gear episodes where J Clarkson had this picture of dog's poo with a BMW badge placed on it, trying to show how people are suckers for the badge.
Old 14th July 2009, 19:07   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Jessie, Jazz was launched before G Punto!

The deliveries for Punto have just begun, so we can spot them in the coming days.
Thanks for correcting me. Yes, I just checked, Jazz was launched on 10th June and the G.Punto on 17th June. By the way, just saw my first Punto on road in Noida - a black emotion variant - looked fabulous.
Old 15th July 2009, 07:19   #698
BHPian

Both quotes are in part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Superb Review! You've raised the bar high for future reviews.

One basic question since I didnt see any TD markings on these vehicles: Where will these journo TD vehicles eventually land up? Will they get dumped to ignorant customers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Other points:

• T’was a long 650 kms drive (round trip). Covered each type of driving condition - Congested city traffic (Delhi), long empty straights, fast corners, ghat section et al. Even after 650 kms of torture, not a single rattle in the car.

Disclaimer : Fiat invited Team-BHP for the Punto test-drive. They covered all the expenses for this driving event.
Does the reviewer GTO have an answer to this question? Surely even an "ignorant customer" will not take delivery of a vehicle that has more than 650 kms on the odometer!
Old 15th July 2009, 08:51   #699
BHPian

@Murugan: You should use the search function more often

Quote:
Circulated all across the country to various publications & media sources for first drives & long (7 day) test drives.
Old 15th July 2009, 22:08   #700
BHPian

Yes Fiat GP is one beautiful car on the road. I just missed it by 2 months. I bought my i10 kappa couple of months before. At that time when I bought my car, I had very little option but right now there seem to be many. I regret now, I should have waited for couple of months so that I could have had a good look on GP and Jazz. Anyhow I will definitely go for GP in another 3 months down the line. I am planning to take a TD of GP this week end. I saw couple of GP on the road and fell in love with it.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th July 2009 at 10:46. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
Old 16th July 2009, 10:06   #701
BHPian

Saw my 1st Punto

Saw 1st Medium Grey Punto on DND expressway (heading toward Noida) in the morning @ 8:45 AM. I think it was Emotion Pk.

Looked fabulous. I am wondering if it was our BHPian member driving at that time?
Old 16th July 2009, 16:38   #702
BHPian

Have seen three Puntos side by side at the dealer's place: a minimal grey, a red and a black. The black immediately pulled a string in my heart.
Old 16th July 2009, 16:54   #703
Senior - BHPian

Test Drove both 1.3 and 1.4. Good. I think FIAT looses always because the comparison comes with the old GTX and S10 and Petra which were very sturdy cars.

For a car of these times think both the petrol and diesel are good. Both have the FIAT Trait of not behaving its power. I've always felt their 100bhp engines were missing a few horses. The same in these two. There is no adrenaline rush when you push the pedal. Its the pricing that will make it a win.

For comparison. Loved it better than the swift for space, interiors and ride. Loved it better than the Vista for the stronger and safer feel all around and the seating, steering and gear positions. Loved it better than the Linea for more refined, silent and responsiveness of engine. HAve not driven the Ritz or the i20 so cant compare.

Just loved the petrol for the power/tourque available right from low rpms. I could easily drive from 30km/hr upwards in 5th without any strain on the engine. Think it would be a great city car with adequate highway capabilities.

Sheer value for money i would say. FIAT. Get your service and spares right for atleast these cars and you have a winner.

Last edited by gemithomas : 16th July 2009 at 16:56.
Old 16th July 2009, 17:12   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Brilliant point, and one that's probably true.

Thanks GTO! Here's what FIAT is doing to prove that they are doing just above average in terms of sales, but they are also keeping the profits in sync.

Forum Link

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th July 2009 at 17:10. Reason: Quote fixed. End a quote with a [ /quote] tag, not a [/GTO] tag :)
Old 16th July 2009, 20:55   #705
Senior - BHPian

ok people who live in Mumbai will know this.Was zipping on the bandra-worli sealink, just got off it, onto the worli seaface and thats when i saw it...Medium grey, Emotion Pack, 1.4 FIRE for sure as there was no "multijet" badge on the front grille ( i saw it as he approached from behind me and drove past) n my reaction was.. WOW !!! I myself was in 1 of the best looking cars in the country currently ( Civic) and boy...she sure does look as good !!! it surely is the "GRANDE" punto ! This was the 1st one spotted in Mumbai atleast for me. I was drooling for sometime after seeing her go past but not anymore !! My RED 1.4 EMOTION PACK BABE HAS FINALLY ARRIVED !!! i could lick that red colour of her !!! hehe...it sure is exotic !!! MY PUNTO IS FINALLY HERE !! yipeee !! hehehe

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks