Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 15:29   #1306
BHPian

The monsoons and bad roads took a toll on my Beat. Got my baby a ramp wash last weekend and man the dirt resembled chocolate milkshake.

The guys did a good job with by spraying diesel to the underbody to loosen the dirt and pressured air was applied to hard to reach areas in addition to the compressed water wash. Here are the pics during the wash.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-image1011.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-image1012.jpg  

Old 10th August 2010, 11:18   #1307
BHPian

Guys my subwoofer, enclosure and amp wiring has arrived from Bangalore. Just collected it an hour back from the bus depot. Not having much time on my hand presently to unpack, should do it soon and keep you posted.

Here is a sneak peak pic (Oh and its not a polk sub, just the packing is)
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-image1036.jpg  

Old 10th August 2010, 16:15   #1308
BHPian

@ Rawkeron - Welcome to the Beat club. Do update us with your ownership experience and troubles faced if any.

@ Quadmaniac - great snap man.Just love the way your Blue contrasts with the sky.

@ Sajjt and @ Alstonlobo - Thanks for the prompt reply guys. Didnt want to cut the door
panel and lose the front door bottle holder thingy..really appreciating the good 1 litre
holding capacity (gets H.O.T.in Nagpur). Wish i could have got it installed in rear door
panel (lots of space there), But the ICE shopwallah was not confident so didnt get it done
there. As for underpowered, i just dont know. They seem so much better than the originals
that i'm happy. Will get an amp anyways in a month or two.
GLIDER plans cancelled
thanks to you two.I got confused as the shop owner has glider installed in his octavia (with
polk MM series speakers i think) and it sounds awesome.Woofer on parcel tray also cancelled.
Anyways noticed there's not much space left on the tray. Will post pics of the installed
speakers soon.

Just an opinion for everyone opting out of LT option b'coz of ICE setup --- "DONT"
LT has a great audio system HU which just needs good speakers. Dont lose out on all LT
features just for the sake of audio needs.

Since everyone is posting pics, I thought i'll share a few ---
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00175.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00371.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00431.jpg  

Old 10th August 2010, 17:07   #1309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshatverma1979 View Post
What happened to the RH ORVM?
Did you replaced it? If so, what is the cost of mirror?
Old 10th August 2010, 17:47   #1310
BHPian

I got the re mapping done yesterday and it’s more smooth than the previous versions, may be am the only luckiest person to experience all the versions at least in this forum. It's become more balanced in all gears especially 1st and 2nd gears. But am yet to test with 4 persons on board as I came late in the SVC to pick up the car after service so everyone was in a hurry to pack up and I didn’t asked either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshatverma1979 View Post
@ Rawkeron - Welcome to the Beat club. Do update us with your ownership experience and troubles faced if any.

@ Quadmaniac - great snap man.Just love the way your Blue contrasts with the sky.

@ Sajjt and @ Alstonlobo - Thanks for the prompt reply guys. Didnt want to cut the door
panel and lose the front door bottle holder thingy..really appreciating the good 1 litre
holding capacity (gets H.O.T.in Nagpur). Wish i could have got it installed in rear door
panel (lots of space there), But the ICE shopwallah was not confident so didnt get it done
there. As for underpowered, i just dont know. They seem so much better than the originals
that i'm happy. Will get an amp anyways in a month or two.
GLIDER plans cancelled
thanks to you two.I got confused as the shop owner has glider installed in his octavia (with
polk MM series speakers i think) and it sounds awesome.Woofer on parcel tray also cancelled.
Anyways noticed there's not much space left on the tray. Will post pics of the installed
speakers soon.

Just an opinion for everyone opting out of LT option b'coz of ICE setup --- "DONT"
LT has a great audio system HU which just needs good speakers. Dont lose out on all LT
features just for the sake of audio needs.

Putting speakers on the front door won’t compromise the bottle holders as it can be tackled much better. I don’t mind in cutting the door panels as the sound stage is quite good with the comps at front. Hope the pic will tell you better.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dscn0107a.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dscn0108a.jpg

Name:  DSCN0109a.JPG
Views: 1943
Size:  131.4 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Salbin how’s your FE after remapping? I think there should be some changes after the firm ware change. Since you are the only person here who closely taking figures you could give a good picture in this.

RVM will cost around 1.6K AFAIK, but body colored will attract more.

Last edited by sajjt : 10th August 2010 at 17:48.
Old 10th August 2010, 18:37   #1311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Had a little accident during my trip (nagpur-indore-nagpur). Luckily only my Rt side ORVM collided with ORVM of a spark. The speeds were close to 80-85 kmph (lucky i got away with this only) and the ORVM broke off. And the worst part, It was all my fault. Poor Spark owner (sorry to whoever he was). Didnt claim insurance. Cost me 1900 bucks. The color matching was extra as it comes in black only. Didnt get it done as I am buying ORVM covers with integrated blinkers and they come in white only. Will pay for colour match once only when i get those fitted.

@ Sajjt - Didnt think of that particular position to get speakers installed. Still, I prefer not getting things cut and all. But then not all men think alike...

Snap showing broken mirror ---
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00289.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00285.jpg  

Old 10th August 2010, 18:44   #1312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
1.6K? isnt it a bit more. I remember replacing my zen mirror for 200. But that was not internally adjustable.
Old 10th August 2010, 19:34   #1313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
1.6K? isnt it a bit more. I remember replacing my zen mirror for 200. But that was not internally adjustable.
I dont know the reason, but the Beat mirrors are surprisingly one of the costliest. The price doesn't seem to be justified considering that they are manually adjustable.Hope GM hears this.
Old 11th August 2010, 10:41   #1314
BHPian

@akshat - Thanks, and your pics are really nice as well - I like the one with the duckies in the background :-)

Reg. the ORVM, even I'd broken my right ORVM (collided with an auto - the mirror was smashed, and the cowl got some cracks).

The Orange Auto guys replaced the whole thing with a similar (blue) ORVM for around 1900 bucks. Are you saying only the mirror was 1600 bucks!?
Old 11th August 2010, 13:06   #1315
BHPian

Quote:
Salbin how’s your FE after remapping? I think there should be some changes after the firm ware change. Since you are the only person here who closely taking figures you could give a good picture in this.
It will take some more time to get the FE update from my side. My usage is not regular in nature. That is because I do car pooling with 2 of my friends for daily travel to my office. Earlier it was weekly rotation within 3 of us. But due to the introduction of toll @ Attebele in Hosur Road, we decided to take monthly pass and change to monthly rotation. Last month, it was my turn. So Aug & Sept, my usage will be limited to weekend shopping trips.

Regarding RVM, one good thing I observed was the outermost portion is not painted in body colour(black mat finish portion). The advantage is if you brush the mirror with something(vertical edge), the painted portion will not get scratch. Only the black mat finish portion gets scratch and that too, it will not be visible at all. In fact, once my mirror rubbed against the corner of a pillar. Surprisingly the ceramic tile edges in the pillar got broken and the mirror had only minor scratch in the black portion. The material is also hard to get scratch. But in case of high speed collision, anything will break.
The scratch is here and it can be seen only if you look very close:
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-p1030571n.jpg
GM is selling the mirror as a sub-assembly. So even if only the outer cowl or a small part is damaged, we have to buy the entire sub-assy. I feel GM should think of making the child parts available as spare.
@Oxyzen: Zen VX/VXi had internal adjustable ORVM and AFAIK the price is above 1000.
Old 11th August 2010, 13:36   #1316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
The monsoons and bad roads took a toll on my Beat. Got my baby a ramp wash last weekend and man the dirt resembled chocolate milkshake.

The guys did a good job with by spraying diesel to the underbody to loosen the dirt and pressured air was applied to hard to reach areas in addition to the compressed water wash. Here are the pics during the wash.

I hope you wouldn't mind my chipping in and saying that it is not a good idea to go to a carwash that uses diesel as a cleaning agent (or kerosene). Basically, both of these are bad for rubber parts in the car (bushes etc.) and will lead to premature wear and tear of those parts.

Also, after the wash, the remnants of the fuel (diesel), will catch dust and actually turn into a sticky thing (it takes a while to evaporate). Using diesel or kerosene has been a standard practice in India, unfortunately, not many people pay attention to the danger to rubber parts.

Do a normal pressure wash (plain water), or a mild none abrasive/corrosive detergent to take care of monsoon dirt.
Old 11th August 2010, 14:44   #1317

Rear LHS Door replaced

Hello Everyone

I met with an accident wherein an over-enthusiastic transport car driver (Indica) hit my baby Beat from the left. Pics of the same attached. The Indica driver had jumped the signal, hitting me before fleeing off.

Took it to the ASC where they replaced it as I had insurance. Just paid some minimum administrative charges as per my insurance agreement. But I was without a car for two days.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-img00043201008021147.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-img00044201008021147.jpg  

Old 11th August 2010, 14:53   #1318
BHPian

I have checked with the SVC for the seat covers of PU costing around for 3900 plus taxes. Salbin, you got it for 3800/ right? Mine is PS so there is no split seats and it has to be cheaper than yours but these guys are asking more than that. I've checked with them whether there any price increase and they said no price hike so far.

Another add on they suggested me is the 3M paint treatment on the inside door panels where the water can seep in through the glass gaps which will remain in the bottom side in semi dry condition for another 1900/ to avoid rusting. I used to roll down the glass hardly, so I didn't feel its worth to go for.
Old 11th August 2010, 15:41   #1319
BHPian

When to change Engine Oil and Filter

When to change Engine Oil and Filter, after 5000 Km / 6 Months interval or after 15000 km / 1.5 Years interval. As most of the Beat Owners are now approaching 5000 km / 6 months mark a question is arising whether it is necessary to change the engine oil and filter.
According to me it is a must to change engine oil and filter after 5000 km / 6 months for most of the Beats running in India.
Why?
Because engine oil plays very important role in an engine, like
1. It provides lubrication that overpowers the frictional resistance to reduce wear and tear, to give engine a longer life,
2. It seals the clearances within the engine and gives engine maximum power,
3. It cools and soothes the engine under extreme conditions of heat,
4. It cleans the engine to give sludge free life, and
5. It prevents engine’s metallic parts from corrosion.

We cannot judge these properties of engine oil by its colour or by touch and feel. Whatever we visually observe are the properties at atmospheric temperature, whereas it is a totally different story inside the engine where the piston-ring temperature may reach 230 degree C at full throttle. That is why engine oil must have right viscosity. I have learnt from the literature that most of the maufacturers, including Maruti Suzuki, recommend selection of the proper grade or viscosity of oil according to the average atmospheric temperatures in one’s driving area.

Here is the Maruti Suzuki Ltd.’s chart for appropriate oil viscosity selection.
Name:  New Picture.png
Views: 2317
Size:  23.3 KB

It can be seen from the above chart that Maruti Suzuki recommends use of 10W-30 Oil in those areas where minimum temperature goes below -10 degree C and maximum temperature goes up to 32 degree C and use of higher rating 10W-40 or 10W-50 Oils in those areas where maximum temperature goes beyond 42 degree C. So it can be concluded that 5W-30 Engine oil is best suited for the regions having a minimum temperature less than -10 degree C and a maximum temperature up to 32 degree C, most of the times in a year. The viscosity grade of Beat’s Engine Oil is 5W-30 and according to Owner’s Manual it is required to be changed at 15000 km / 1.5 years interval for the vehicles with normal annual mileage. But Owner’s Manual also recommends oil and filter change at 5000 km / 6 months interval if vehicle is operated under extreme conditions. Extreme operating conditions are described in the Page no. 137, in which “driving in heavy city traffic where the outside temperature regularly reach 32 degree C or higher is considered as one of the extreme operating conditions”. Under extreme operating condition oil start loosing above mentioned properties earlier than the recommended interval. Therefore I am of the opinion that "in regions where maximum temperature remains below 32 degree C for most of the times in a year oil and filter can be changed after 15000 km / 1.5 years and in regions where maximum temperature remains above 32 degree C for most of the times in a year ( as in most of the parts of India) oil and filter must be changed after 5000 km / 6 months.
Old 11th August 2010, 16:25   #1320
BHPian

Quote:
I have checked with the SVC for the seat covers of PU costing around for 3900 plus taxes. Salbin, you got it for 3800/ right? Mine is PS so there is no split seats and it has to be cheaper than yours but these guys are asking more than that. I've checked with them whether there any price increase and they said no price hike so far.
I have not put the seat covers. Initially I thought of getting it, but then decided to get it later. There are 2-3 varieties of PU covers from GM. So the cost will vary from model to model.
Those who have already bought seat covers, please post few pics of your seat cover.

Most Viewed