Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2024, 18:15   #2206

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Your Yeti deserves better shock absorbers than these cheap Monroe ones. There is no comparison with the OE. Sachs is the best compromise, and I wouldn't go anything below that. You won't change these parts every month.

Regarding the coils, I have the OE coils on my Bilstein B6. I don't think you need to change them unless they are damaged.

Get your suspension sorted first. If you are in Bangalore, Engineering Exponents can do this, but they are super busy. Call them in advance and take an appointment. After the suspension is sorted, get a detailed Scan. Since you don't have the ABS warning, I don't suspect any faulty ABS related hardware.
Thanks for the input M35, but I'm having trouble sourcing OEM Sachs and they also cost more than twice of the Monroe's. Since, I have already ordered the Monroe's, are they really bad ?

Will be going to Bangalore in a few days and will surely head to Engineering Exponents.
Old 5th March 2024, 18:31   #2207
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti19 View Post
Thanks for the input M35, but I'm having trouble sourcing OEM Sachs and they also cost more than twice of the Monroe's. Since, I have already ordered the Monroe's, are they really bad ?

Will be going to Bangalore in a few days and will surely head to Engineering Exponents.
The Sachs should be available under INR 30k for a set of 4- front and rear. Any reputed German car workshop will be able to do it for you. Engineering Exponents definitely can.

Last edited by M35 : 5th March 2024 at 18:57.
Old 5th March 2024, 18:41   #2208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti19 View Post

1. Is it required to fit new springs/coils while changing the dampeners ? If so can someone help me with the specifications for it ? Can you also confirm if I have bought the right dampener for the Yeti ? (https://www.motrparts.com/shop/monro...koda-laura-mt/)

2. How will the ride quality change over OEM Setup ?

3. Can someone suggest how to make the ESC Error light go away ? (Please suggest any shop/mechanic that can help resolve this in either Bangalore or Goa)

4. The windscreen has had a lot of scratches and chipping as well. Local Dealer suggested to go for Benson as a replacement windscreen (16k including installation). Is Benson good enough or should I go towards Pilkington (Around25/26k) ?
1. Coil springs need not be changed when putting new dampers unless the springs are physically damaged. As for the dampers, get Sachs dampers. Those are OE for the Yeti and will not only have better quality and longevity but also match correctly with the springs on your car. Stick to ZF Lemforder/Sachs for all suspension components. You will end up paying more but will have absolute peace of mind in the longer run

2. Dampers don't affect ride height much. Springs do. Unless you change springs, won't make a huge difference. If your current dampers are shot, the car might gain a marginal amount of GC on new ones

3. Scan it. It could be anything. There have been a couple of cases on the Yeti where the yaw sensor built into the ABS module has gone kaput. The ESC light also could indicate an issue with the steering angle sensor behind the steering or on the rack bottom. Only scanning will help you ascertain what the cause is

4. Not an expert when it comes to windscreens but I have heard people having a good experience with Pilkington in the aftermarket.
Old 23rd March 2024, 15:28   #2209
BHPian

Update-

The headliner in my SnowMan had lost the entire inner sponge lining and so it has got detached over the age.

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img20240321171721.jpg

Obviously the fabric material was due for the replacement as soon as it started sagging some 4-5 months ago. We know, it's quite a common issue with VAG cars.

First I enquired with the ASC here but was confused to learn that instead of just going for the replacement of the fabric material, they would replace the entire moulded Roof Liner trim also.

I then approached a local seat covers vendor who agreed on the desired replacement job. He had two types of fabric materials on offer, a double layered one which apparently resembles the OE material and the other one is triple layered, looks much better in quality.

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-20240309_133725collage.jpg

Finally, I opted for the triple layered sample over the usual double layered one that has a sponge lining +fabric only and I guess it would probably lack durability along with proper fit and finish also after installation.

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img20240321174030.jpg

The moulded Roof Liner trim has been removed now and has been left at the shop for thorough cleaning prior to the final installation of the new fabric.

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img20240322165724.jpg

Once the moulded Roof Liner trim is removed, the Curtain Airbag modules could be noticed on both sides.

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img20240321174407.jpg

By the time, I have got the car back home without the Roof Liner trim in place.

Will update the details once the job is accomplished.

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 23rd March 2024 at 15:46.
Dr.Vikas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 19:32   #2210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Update-

The headliner in my SnowMan had lost the entire inner sponge lining and so it has got detached over the age.

Attachment 2585818

Obviously the fabric material was due for the replacement as soon as it started sagging some 4-5 months ago. We know, it's quite a common issue with VAG cars.

First I enquired with the ASC here but was confused to learn that instead of just going for the replacement of the fabric material, they would replace the entire moulded Roof Liner trim also.

I then approached a local seat covers vendor who agreed on the desired replacement job. He had two types of fabric materials on offer, a double layered one which apparently resembles the OE material and the other one is triple layered, looks much better in quality.

Attachment 2585821

Finally, I opted for the triple layered sample over the usual double layered one that has a sponge lining +fabric only and I guess it would probably lack durability along with proper fit and finish also after installation.

Attachment 2585819

The moulded Roof Liner trim has been removed now and has been left at the shop for thorough cleaning prior to the final installation of the new fabric.

Attachment 2585822

Once the moulded Roof Liner trim is removed, the Curtain Airbag modules could be noticed on both sides.

Attachment 2585820

By the time, I have got the car back home without the Roof Liner trim in place.

Will update the details once the job is accomplished.
Hi Doc, rightly said about the issue with most of VAG if not all, and my Yeti too had the same issue which I got is done at the ASC. My guess is that the heat in our country has something to do with the life of the roof lining but I may be wrong here. Nevertheless, I did check with the local vendors on both the fabric and fixing against the company's option of replacement of the entire roof-liner before changing my roof lining and found out this:

1. The fabric isn't 100% match which is then completely out of sync with the seats, door trim color and that of the trims on the pillars inside the cabin.
2. The life of this is half of what the complete replacement would be. So, I would have to get it done again and with the exercise involving removing not only the roof-lining unit but also the trims inside and also the black trim on the A pillar which if not supervised properly then could break adding to the cost of it. I don't think it is worth the effort versus the amount saved.
3. The finish would not be as clean as it should be and some creasing along with wrinkles around the corners where it meets the bend of the liner is expected. This, when it is part of the interiors, personally I would think twice.
4. The cost of-course is about 60% cheaper than the whole replacement but then you get the entire liner assembly which would improve the insulation and comfort for extended periods of time. This IMHO deserves more attention and priority.

Of course, this is totally my observation and the above said I do appreciate your efforts in getting what is best at a measured cost, and if it comes out well then its' double whammy. Eagerly awaiting your completed set of pictures and I would loved to be proved otherwise. Cheers
sumzup is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 21:38   #2211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post
Of course, this is totally my observation and the above said I do appreciate your efforts in getting what is best at a measured cost, and if it comes out well then its' double whammy. Eagerly awaiting your completed set of pictures and I would loved to be proved otherwise. Cheers
Thanks sumzup for your detailed post. Much appreciated your thoughts and observations.

I guess, you have FL version of the Yeti with the entire black interiors. Indeed it looks way better than our 'Pre-FL' lot.

Now to continue with my story, I opted for the aftermarket route for this work basically because at ASC, they usually ask to replace the entire moulded trim along with the fabric material, which would obviously cost more and also it would require more time for the part availability. And you know, the actual time period required for any such off-beat work is always indefinite at ASCs.

So finally I got the replacement work with the new fabric material on the old Roof Liner trim done today at a local shop here in Sangli.

First the old fabric and the underlying residual sponge debris were removed and the surface was prepared thoroughly using polish paper.

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img20240325wa0103.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img20240325wa0102.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img20240325wa0101.jpg

Then the Roof Liner trim was prepared for installation after replacement of the new fabric was carried out by applying glue to both the surfaces in contact.

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img20240325wa0100.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img20240325wa0099.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img20240325125100.jpg

Once I reached the shop today, it was the matter of about 2 hrs for the final installation work inside the car and I tell you, the cabin is looking quite spacious since then.

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img20240325145924.jpg

The best part of this deal is, it did cost me almost 1/4 of the expected price at ASC, that too without any apparent difference in the quality, fit and finish.
In fact, the final damage on my wallet was much less than what I was quoted at various other vendors.

At Škoda ASC, the job would have cost me in the tune of ₹25k or even more. But here the vendor asked me just ₹7k and I happily paid the amount without any bargaining.

Cheers

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 25th March 2024 at 22:07.
Dr.Vikas is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 05:44   #2212
BHPian

It's been ages since I've been active on this forum, but I'm happy to see an enthusiastic set of YETI owners holding on to their pride and joy. I vividly remember seeking the help of members of this very forum when I was in the process of getting my example, back in mid-2012.

12 years and 136,000 kms later and I'm happy to report that she still puts a smile on my face, everytime I get behind the wheel. I'm glad that I splurged on the top-spec Elegance 4x4 trim. I have to admit that the car has well exceeded my expectations. The ownership has been trouble-free for the most part.

The car is mostly stock. I've carried out some minor upgrades that are mostly cosmetic and have further extended its usability.
  • All LED Headlights
  • A new headliner (I saw this one coming)
  • Steering wheel retrim
  • A new gear-shifter cover
  • Tire Upsize 215/65/R16

I also wanted to upgrade the infotainment head unit, but I found an inexpensive solution in the form of a cigarette-lighter radio tuner that works flawlessly.

Mechanically, I've replaced the clutch and flywheel and a full set of suspension and springs on all four corners. Given how rare the Yeti is, Skoda took about a week to source the parts but, they did a great job overall. The car now rides exceptionally on Mumbai's not-so-smooth roads.

My only recent dilemma is with a bit of trim that's gone missing on the left rear wheel arch. This is an official Skoda accessory. The sales exec was clueless about it when I bought the car until I provided him with the part number. Not sure if I can source it from Skoda now, considering the Yeti ceased production in 2017.

Here are some closing shots after some good ol' elbow grease for about two hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img_0571.jpeg  

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img_0576.jpeg  

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-resize_img_0577.jpeg  

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-resize_img_0595.jpeg  

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-resize_img_2037.jpeg  

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-resize_img_2039.jpeg  

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-resize_img_2809.jpeg  

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-resize_img_2036.jpeg  

Last edited by autoskooll : 21st April 2024 at 05:46.
autoskooll is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 14:28   #2213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoskooll View Post
The car is mostly stock. I've carried out some minor upgrades that are mostly cosmetic and have further extended its usability.
  • All LED Headlights
  • A new headliner (I saw this one coming)
  • Steering wheel retrim
  • A new gear-shifter cover
  • Tire Upsize 215/65/R16

Hi autoskooll,
Good to know about your experience with the Yeti.

Please share some details of the LED headlight upgrade like Brand, price, any errors in the Maxidot & rectification if required etc.
Also share some pics of the new Steering wheel trim & the gear-shifter cover.
Finally, which tyres did you prefer? Details with cost and about the difference you noticed then.

I guess, the recurrent work needed for such old cars are almost identical for many owners. So any information regarding such regular maintenance or upgrade jobs always helps the others.

Stay connected & enjoy your drive..

Thanks

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 23rd April 2024 at 14:56.
Dr.Vikas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 21:47   #2214
BHPian

My Yeti is almost twelve years old too. The entire front suspension requires to be changed. Skoda is slow in supplying the spares so the delay is there. This fifteen year rule is frustrating. Difficult to find a suitable replacement without going upto the 50 lakh bracket which I don’t want to do.
Honda has such a good suv Passport in the US, but in India they have an Elevate without the fifth passenger head rest.
Carcrazy60 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2024, 08:42   #2215

Can anyone help for rear shocker change for my yeti.
I would be selling in a year so keeping it in mind want to spend on it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks