Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 12:51   #1486
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Good question, I would love to explain this with a real time e.g.

I needed 5 brand new tires for my trials which took me 7 days for procurement and replacement on vehicle, the same thing I can do it outside "independently" within 1 hour (max). Got the drift?

Spike
Sad state of affairs man. Things have not changed much it looks like. I remember going to a tyre shop near the pipeline road to change the rims in a test vehicle. And the reason "the guys putting together the tyres and rims" had met their quota for the day and were resting.

Good thing, that you are training the dealers.
Old 19th April 2011, 12:57   #1487
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I needed 5 brand new tires for my trials which took me 7 days
Spike that is for R&D which is towards cost = loss, AC installed at factory is towards revenue = profit. Already its been couple of months since production for all such procedural internal delays.

Look at it, you as a buyer would rather prefer to pay that 50 k at buying, which will be included in my EMI, have peace of mind that it is done from factory and get some warranty cover? OR fix it as an accessory and minimal warranty and max risk of things going wrong!

Anyways i was just trying to convey a point, no point in
Old 19th April 2011, 16:43   #1488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Spike that is for R&D which is towards cost = loss, AC installed at factory is towards revenue = profit. Already its been couple of months since production for all such procedural internal delays.

Look at it, you as a buyer would rather prefer to pay that 50 k at buying, which will be included in my EMI, have peace of mind that it is done from factory and get some warranty cover? OR fix it as an accessory and minimal warranty and max risk of things going wrong!

Anyways i was just trying to convey a point, no point in
Jaggu, I think there is an additional factor here but I may be wrong. The Chevy Aveo was sold as a car without the music system from the company (pricing wise) but you could not get it from the dealer without one. The reasn given to me was that if it is shown as installed from the factory then the cost of the system would also include all the myriad taxes that are slapped on a vehicle. Whereas if it was shown to be from the dealer, then those taxes were exempt. Not sure how true this was but it did sound logical. This could also be a reason for an AC not to be fitted at the factory.
Old 19th April 2011, 17:22   #1489
BHPian

Is there a Service Manual for THAR??
does THAR come with owner's manual at least?
Old 19th April 2011, 17:27   #1490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua
Is there a Service Manual for THAR??
does THAR come with owner's manual at least?
Yes, the Thar does come with an owner's manual.
Old 19th April 2011, 17:52   #1491
AWD
BHPian

Concerns still remain:
-No clarity on ECU setting, etc. for A.C. yet!
-Prices for all the components to be used should be mentioned clearly.
-Dealer or Factory should do the Installation & offer Warranty, maybe a limited one.
Old 19th April 2011, 19:10   #1492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD
Concerns still remain:
-Dealer or Factory should do the
The thar "runs circles around other jeeps" and the Mahindra team answers in circles.

This small AC "revelation" is just a bait to keep you guys circling and not loosing interest.

Give a bit of info and hook you on. One job M&M has excelled in for sure!
Old 19th April 2011, 19:43   #1493
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Mahindra team answers in circles.
This small AC "revelation" is just a bait to keep you guys circling and not loosing interest.
Agreed 100%. Even Awards & such things is ok but its more like "self praise". As far as consumers are concerned, they have spoken up in this & many other Thar threads & I believe in this more than any other Award or something. Moreover the particular Award was unheard of, maybe in its 1st year only. Also, looked like sponsored by Mahindra & Thar was probably their only Private vehicle launch this /previous year. So, no kudos, thumbs up from my side atleast.

Hope & wish more serious consumer concerns are answered in a proper & transparent manner. Though its not worth it but I would still re-iterate, A.C. should have come from the factory & in the present price of the vehicle.
Old 19th April 2011, 23:30   #1494
BHPian

Well - I thought I'll post this real story that happened with me today to convince that Thar is the vehicle that I need to buy.

As quite a few would be aware that it has rained quite a bit in Bangalore today. I normally take a small road to avoid a few traffic signals and today while coming back from office - I found the normal road blocked because some truck got stuck there and I was asked to take a small detour on a mud road along a lake. I got on to that kaccha road by the lake and a few meters on the road - to give way to an car coming in the opposite direction, I just got a little off the narrow mud path and I found my Zen stuck. I mean the front wheels started spinning and before I could realize I was properly stuck, one wheel almost half dug up in the mud.

I got out and tried pushing the car,,but it did move, It was dark and this is the pic I could take - though it really doesn't show the stuck tyre. I tried removing the mud around the tyres with my hand and well - less said about how my shirt and hands looked - the better it is.

I waited for 20 mins for someone to pass by and then a sumo came up but the folks inside refused to help..saying they were in a hurry and it ws too dark - advised me to leave the car walk up to the main road and take a rik. There I was, at 9:30 Pm on a Kaccha road - raining and hardly anybody passing by.

Few anxious minutes more (like 20 more minutes) and a then a group laborers were passing by and I had to beg them for help and well three of them pushed and I got out of the situation. I reversed and took the main road to home. While I was driving back , I looked at my shoes and thought If only I had the 4X4, I would have been out on my own. I was glad I was not with my family or that would complicate matters further..

I have actually booked the Thar and I am waiting for the Delivery (I am told 4-5 months) and today's experience leave no doubt that - Jeep is what I need to drive - ALWAYS.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img00111201104192104.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img00120201104192112.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th April 2011 at 23:41. Reason: Please avoid typing like... this... Thanks
Old 19th April 2011, 23:34   #1495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Concerns still remain:
There are two players now. M&M also want to make money and Dealers also want to make money out of you. You need to wait till they come to an agreement.

Now there is some jugaad work that needs to be done on a brand new vehicle in order to fit the condenser. The intercooler needs to be pushed down and new holes to be drilled in the deflector box for routing the intercooler hoses and the earlier holes need to be closed. extended intercooler hoses to be used. Finally consumers will be charged for all these things and for this extra labor work which is resultant of the design flaw. THAR owners, please make sure that you don't pay for all these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Agreed 100%. Even Awards & such things is ok but its more like "self praise". As far as consumers are concerned, they have spoken up in this & many other Thar threads & I believe in this more than any other Award or something.
The Award is as per company's perspective and not from the consumer perspective. By now what ever those few THARs which were sold had already recovered the investment for this project.
star_aqua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 00:03   #1496
Team-BHP Support

One doubt (make it few doubts), about the so called AC install, what about the wiring loom? does it have couplers in place where so called bolero or scorpio parts can be plugged in? Is the relay and fuse space provided in the box and are they plug and play also? How about ECU does it have a trigger to detect AC On and add the required correction in the "parameters"?

EDIT: I still cant understand the logic why its not offered as factory fitment, atleast MUL offered me a Zxi stearo install on Vdi as an option which was a 30 minutes intall and yes it had all wiring etc in place and was snap on. Same with Crv the fog lamp which was added later as a free upgrade was just plug and play and the kit came with the lamp unit switch and even each and every clip or screw. For that matter the leather upholstery they provided as free upgrade also.

Come 'on M&M dont be greedy, give the woriginal Thar owners the AC as a free upgrade!! Atleast give RISE to a small smile in their face

EDIT 2 I was not planning to reply to this but then i thought that i should try to share some experience and save someone from going blind and into bigger troubles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
I have actually booked the Thar and I am waiting for the Delivery (I am told 4-5 months) and today's experience leave no doubt that - Jeep is what I need to drive - ALWAYS.
First of all congratulations.

Not to discourage you but this would be the last logical reason for me to buy a jeep. In my experience with motor cars, i have got stuck just once. It was a wrong call at a beach. This is in last 20 years or so, just once. Am quite sure that you also would have had this freak incident maybe 2, maybe 5 times in your driving lifetime?? Now for this should you or me buy a Thar?

From your picture i see a zen being your current vehicle. Hope you have some clue as to what living with a soft top 4x4 is (forget M&M), its a very different world out there!! And since you mentioned family also, hope you have some idea as to what you are getting into by moving into a bare bone agriculture set up in comfort from a car like zen (again remove Thar name, am referring to any bare bone basic 4x4). Trust me i have used both for many years and a real life experience in a 4x4 vehicle (IFS or not, AC or not) is no where close to a hatch like zen.

You would gain diesel engine power torque and maybe lil more bullying power on bangalore roads. Thats it.

I were you i would blindly go pick up a fiesta diesel right now, great VFM and superb discounts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th April 2011 at 00:29.
Old 20th April 2011, 00:29   #1497
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can be done, for time being it is KISS- Keep It Simple & Stupid
Usually, KISS principle stands for Keep It Simple, Stupid! But I like your variation, and the confession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
From your picture i see a zen being your current vehicle. Hope you have some clue as to what living with a soft top 4x4 is (forget M&M), its a very different world out there!! And since you mentioned family also, hope you have some idea as to what you are getting into by moving into a bare bone agriculture set up in comfort from a car like zen
Well, if I could do it coming from GV experience, why not him. Just hope he won't sell the Zen, he will still need it for shopping trips, where locked cabin is a must.

Last edited by Samurai : 20th April 2011 at 00:37.
Old 20th April 2011, 00:57   #1498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Hi, believe me, my daily drive was JEEP. recently i am not using it for my daily use, just because of only one reason that the window of the rear door is broken. with this i can't leave any belongings inside the vehicle. today i really missed my JEEP due to heavy rains in BLR.
If you want a 4x4, i would suggest Scorpio 4wd or Safari 4wd. a second hand one is more worth than the brand new THAR in terms of reliability and peace of mind and they can do what ever a THAR can do.

Last edited by star_aqua : 20th April 2011 at 01:00.
Old 20th April 2011, 01:03   #1499
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, if I could do it coming from GV experience, why not him.
I really did not understand this ^^. GV experience with Thar, GV is a hard top luxury soft roader in Indian market, isn't it? Or did you mean GV getting stuck in the beach?

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th April 2011 at 01:04.
Old 20th April 2011, 01:12   #1500
Senior - BHPian

i still havent got a simple answer to my simple question!

Q: has the first production lot of Thar CRDe has been sold out and the second production lot begun?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks