Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2011, 12:36   #1681
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Dear Spike,

I was advised against changing the axle ratio. Maybe you can comment on why.
You were advised against 5.38 ratio. I presume you are still using 5.38 for your monster build with under-size axle shafts considering the Torque (what size are you using btw?). Knowing the kind of stuff you guys do, I can only !

Quote:
When will my queries get answered???!!!
Does that help? ^^

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 11th May 2011 at 12:38.
Old 11th May 2011, 12:43   #1682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First of all, there is no V2 coming in now or later, it is pure assumption.
Fazal Bhai, thanks for your reply. I appreciate and know your passion of building jeeps. Infact, my love for jeeps got ignited once again after reading through your white jeep made by you

I was only wishing that the interiors are much better for the price I plan to put in for THAR.

My back up plan was always YOU! Buy the THAR, reach out to you and get the interiors and other 'required' updates done at my expense.
Old 11th May 2011, 13:00   #1683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
You were advised against 5.38 ratio. I presume you are still using 5.38 for your monster build with under-size axle shafts considering the Torque (what size are you using btw?). Knowing the kind of stuff you guys do, I can only !
My current build has nothing to do with the Thar. And no, i'm not using 5.38 for that project. I'll discuss that in my new thread when i put it up.

A few posts ago you said to change axle ratio in thar to improve crawl and then i pointed out that i was told not to do it. Why don't you answer why not on the forum?

Quote:
Does that help? ^^
What do you think? Does it?
Old 11th May 2011, 14:36   #1684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
3. Factory fitted A/C will take time. I cant tell you the time frame. Dealer fitted A/c the only option. Hard top (lockable cabin) option is live with customization- as i had mentioned.
Vinod, can we get a few pictures of the hard top that Mahindra customization is providing - both the interiors and the exteriors?
Old 11th May 2011, 14:52   #1685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju

Vinod, can we get a few pictures of the hard top that Mahindra customization is providing - both the interiors and the exteriors?
I second this ask. Please do post pictures of the HT and options. The M/customisation website is sad and information free:-).
Old 11th May 2011, 16:54   #1686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
PJBiju/ Thared-
I have seen it in making and is really promising...if Iam not jacking up the expectations, it is just the way you want.

I will get the pics by second week of June. Will share on the forum for sure.
vinod_nookala is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 16:59   #1687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My current build has nothing to do with the Thar.
Ok. So?

Quote:
And no, i'm not using 5.38 for that project.
Ok.

Quote:
I'll discuss that in my new thread when i put it up.
Ok.

Quote:
A few posts ago you said to change axle ratio in thar to improve crawl and then i pointed out that i was told not to do it.
You were asking for an axle ratio for the best crawl on Thar, YES or NO? You wanted 5.38 YES or NO? I have never mentioned in my posts to use 5.38 on Thar, so why this confusion?

You were specifically advised not to use 5.38 for the vehicle you are building, please don't club that with Thar.

Quote:
Why don't you answer why not on the forum?
First, answer above questions. I have answered this once in this thread, don't have patience to dig out the 100 odd pages.

Quote:
What do you think? Does it?
Yes, of-course!

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 11th May 2011 at 17:00.
Old 11th May 2011, 21:06   #1688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Just look around, numbers on road will tell you the story.
I personally haven't seen any in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Cars coming off the assembly line usually head out to the dealer quickly to be sold to end users. Visit a M&M dealer and check how many Thar's supplied to them are lying in the yard gathering dust?
A Scorpio 4x4 is Rs 13.5 lacs ! So Thar with a/c and HT even at 8.25 lacs will be a great buy (currently its 7.11 onroad in Hyd)
Doesn't this point at the capability of the assembly line - simple supply chain fault?

Thar and Scorpio is not a valid comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Refer ^^ post 1625 and 1626. Let me play the devils advocate here.

One can also create artificial demand by not producing enough to cater to the requirements, so let us not assume that the vehicle in question is AWESOME.
I am inclined to think in this direction as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The Thar release in India almost didn't happen !! Not many (I would go to the extent of saying no one !!) in senior staff were willing to fire the gun from their shoulder. I do believe it took Anand Mahindra's personal conviction that this car was an iconic representation of Mahindra's 4x4 legacy that finally saw to its release.
This was a business decision, why should a customer be bothered about it at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
It is very easy to sit there and type, it is very easy to make assumptions and accusations, it is not so easy to weigh the options available, generate opportunities, take EXECUTIVE DECISIONS, and then stand by them.
Sir, this is what all product owners do, part of job - isn't it?
somubj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 22:10   #1689
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
This was a business decision, why should a customer be bothered about it at all?
I bother about these things as a customer because right here in India I waited for two years for Force to release the Gurkha and it didn't happen, despite umpteen calls to senior staff with request to release a few for India. And when they do release the vehicle they also decide to upgrade their lineup with a new engine which again just may or may not end up in the Gurkha. So when you deal with companies like Force who simply don't take the Indian enthusiast seriously the fact that we have M&M which gave us the Thar people like me are delighted we have a decent option finally.

Not for a moment am I trying to gloss over the quality issues. I am just happy as a enthusiast here in India I have the Thar to consider for offroad use.

I can live with it warts and all, as the pleasure one can get from the vehicle in all other aspects far outweighs the negatives
Old 11th May 2011, 23:24   #1690
BHPian

Mahindra Thar is the epitome of driving pleasure.
There might be umpteen posts regarding the vehicle, pro or otherwise, I don't care (actually I do).
The divine pleasure that one derives while driving the Thar is beyond comprehension.
Thar rules, period. I am sure fellow owners feel the same.
But, having said that, I am not averse to any new positive development in the vehicle that augurs well for it in the future.
Let us all hope that the Thar evolves into a run away super-duper success in the coming days, only if the higher echelons in M&M listen to what the current Thar owners have to say about the vehicle.
PS- email address hi nahin milta M&M Bosses ka. Tweet kar ke bhi dekh liya. No jawaab.

Last edited by Janjua : 11th May 2011 at 23:28.
Old 11th May 2011, 23:28   #1691
Senior - BHPian

This thread will soon give all the Saas Bahu serials on Colors a run for their money.

I saw a Thar, grey one near Forum Kormangala this Saturday. Looked awesome. And the soft top looked very rugged too for that matter. There was an elderly gentleman at wheels. For a moment I thought that it was BD sir.

Lets give guys at M&M some time to iron out the niggles. Its a fine line to walk between the price and quality. For all the rants about quality, if the improved Thar gets priced in Scorpio league then the whole purpose will be defeated. I hope that while a new sugar coated silky smooth Thar is offered as lifestyle vehicle, the no frills cheaper Thar version is also not done away with.

Ok now where should I hide?
Old 11th May 2011, 23:35   #1692
Senior - BHPian

To me it feels like the Thar was rushed into the market without properly adapting it for the price point at which it sells in the Indian market. From the pictures that I have seen the export version seems to have superior quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live
Ok now where should I hide?
In a Premier Rio
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 23:43   #1693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
To me it feels like the Thar was rushed into the market without properly adapting it for the price point at which it sells in the Indian market. From the pictures that I have seen the export version seems to have superior quality.

In a Premier Rio
@download2live...I can lend you mine if you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-205219_200504456650514_100000728839436_636549_5928440_n.jpg  

Last edited by sidindica : 11th May 2011 at 23:44.
Old 12th May 2011, 11:13   #1694
Distinguished - BHPian

You know what Spike, i don't wanna start quoting posts and replies just to prove that you are skirting the issue.

Here's a straight question regarding the Thar:

Currently the dif ratio is 4.3 right. Why is it not recommended to change to 5.38 or 4.88 to improve crawl ratio.

EDIT:

PS: the talk about my new 4x4 crawl ratio was off forum with BD. I'd suggest you keep off forum discussions off the forum unless you want me to start posting stuff about the AC and other things that we spoke on the phone.

Quote:
don't have patience to dig out the 100 odd pages.
You are an engineer on a car development team. Patience is a big virtue especially in your line of work so that half baked products are not released into the market without adequate testing. Start with some patience here and dig out the old post. Practice in patience now will make you better suited for patience in your line of work.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 12th May 2011 at 11:34. Reason: see edit
Old 12th May 2011, 11:47   #1695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You know what Spike, i don't wanna start quoting posts and replies just to prove that you are skirting the issue.
I don't mind even if you quote post. I will reply only to those posts which I feel necessary, no point in instigating.

Quote:
Here's a straight question regarding the Thar:

Currently the dif ratio is 4.3 right. Why is it not recommended to change to 5.38 or 4.88 to improve crawl ratio.
OK, here is the answer which you will understand better:-

The tooth strength of the Hypoid gear set (5.38) is less.

Quote:
I'd suggest you keep off forum discussions off the forum unless you want me to start posting stuff about the AC and other things that we spoke on the phone.
I agree with you on keeping off forum discussions off the forum. We never talked about any AC stuff mind you! You can still go ahead if you want, in that case keep in mind, I also have a thing or two up my sleeve.

Quote:
Patience is a big virtue especially in your line of work so that half baked products are not released into the market without adequate testing.
Patience is a good virtue for everyone not me alone. So don't club it with the product, we are seriously going off topic by such statements. I suggest we stay with the topic rather than making personal remarks.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 12th May 2011 at 11:57. Reason: previous post edited

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks