Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2013, 12:54   #2686
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Even the Thar CRDe windshield can be dropped down, provided things are done the right way.

Spike
Why don't you explain how to do it since you were part of the design team?

What's the point of just posting provided it is done the right way? Please share so it can benefit others.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 13:03   #2687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Why don't you explain how to do it since you were part of the design team?

What's the point of just posting provided it is done the right way? Please share so it can benefit others.
There is nothing to explain apart from using a wee bit of common sense required during a dis-assembly procedure.

My point was to highlight, that there is no need to a buy a DI windshield for a CRDe, just to drop the windshield down. I think that info will benefit others.

Spike
Old 1st August 2013, 13:08   #2688
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
There is nothing to explain apart from using a wee bit of common sense required during a dis-assembly procedure.

My point was to highlight, that there is no need to a buy a DI windshield for a CRDe, just to drop the windshield down. I think that info will benefit others.

Spike
If you have time could you explain step by step the procedure to do it? What needs to be dis-assembled, etc. As the saying goes, common sense is uncommon in common people.

I think just step-by-step procedures will help the community here because as you just noticed, people are buying the DI windshield. Probably a nudge in the right direction would be helpful.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 20:53   #2689
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

I have one question regarding Thar's soft top. How easy it is to remove and put back the soft top? How much time does it take?
Dodge_Viper is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 22:32   #2690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterPatrol View Post
Thanks for the info, but I'm specifically looking for bolt pattern of 5x160 PCD. Not sure how to convert it. eg: 5x5.5 = 139.7 PCD
Your question is not very clear.

The PCD, as already mentioned in posts above, is 160mm (6.299") for the Thar CRDe, and 139.7mm (5.5") for the Thar DI.

Earlier, the Imperial system of measurement was used, hence the round figure in inches (5.5 which converts to 139.7mm). Nowadays, in India, the Metric system of units is used, and hence the 160mm (which will not have a round conversion in inches).

The bolt pattern is the same for both, namely 5-bolt-pattern. If you join the bolts using straight lines, you will get a pentagon (not the one at Arlington, USA).

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 1st August 2013 at 22:34.
Blue Thunder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 08:24   #2691
XD2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
I have one question regarding Thar's soft top. How easy it is to remove and put back the soft top? How much time does it take?
From when I tried it once, it was easy to take off - if you can manage the plastic rivets above the front doors. They are a little tricky - and you'd most probably need to replace them at the end. An hour's work at max.

Putting it back wasn't that much fun though. That took a lot more efforts.
The things that started acting up were these two rods at the rear end of the canopy and the bar that fastens at the side of the canopy. It took a lot of struggling to pull it across to match the holes for the screws.

And it something doesn't go well, you may need ASC help.

All in all, only worth the effort if you're taking the top off for a reasonable number of days.
XD2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 09:24   #2692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
It is very easy to remove the soft top of the CRDe. You will need to remove the four rivets on top of the passenger door and driver door, and you will need to remove the horizontal channel on both sides, which holds the top. After which removing will take only 2 minutes.

One IMPORTANT point: While storing the soft top, please dont crumple and store. If possible keep it as straight as possible. If not, you will start seeing leaks and water in your vehicle.

Refitting is also very easy, and follow the steps reverse.
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 19:25   #2693
BANNED

Hi guys, this is just to bring to everyone's notice how important the torsion bar settings are. My thar used to bounce around like crazy and the thar was tilting backwards a bit. I would grade the ride quality as 3/10 then. I was seriously thinking of spending 40k for Composite leaf springs for the rear. Then I had a small talk with a friend and fellow bhpian Mr Yogesh who asked me to get the torsion bars setting changed and i took his advice and spent my whole Sunday to get this done. I had to drive down 120kms one way to a dealer who would touch the torsion bar, as the dealer in my town flatly refused to touch it. The guys at Trendy Wheels did a stellar job and with the torsion bar settings changed my thar now rides as if on air. The ride quality has drastically improved to 8/10. My wife who was skeptical to travel long distances is now ready for a leh trip!!!! can you believe this. Thanks Yogesh once again.
May I will use it with the same setting for now and then get it firmed up a bit and post my observations again. One note though. The height also drops with softening of the suspension so I intend to learn how the torsion bar settings are too be done. So that I can stiffen the suspension for offroading and then softened them again for regular use.
Drlmtukkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 21:36   #2694
Senior - BHPian

DrImtukkar could you please let us know the values of the settings. Also can some of the Thar experts, BD sir etc let us know what should be the standard values for the torsion bar. Do the dealerships know how to measure and set the torsion bar.
Old 6th August 2013, 10:00   #2695
Senior - BHPian

In the older Ambassador, the torsion bar setting could be changed by rotating the bar. This was done by
. Screw which would rotate the bar against its seat by small amounts.
. Take the end out of the spline and rotate it by larger amounts, and fine adjust with the screw.

Rotating the bar is akin to changing its spring stiffness (some thing difficult with coil/leaf springs). So in effect you can practically get any stiffness you want.

If you make the ride too soft then there a a chance that the suspension will bottom out on hard bumps. If you make it too hard, chances of breaking the torsion rod are high.

Some links on how to
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/ho...sion-bars.html
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=to...=1187&bih=1049
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 13:33   #2696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
I had the same problem with my bolero and got sorted out last week with the help of Mahindra technical guys who came directly from the factory for showroom inspection. Actually this issue is because of the wiper joints which they sorted by tightening the bolts. Initially when i took my vehicle to the service centre because of the same issue, they put some extra sealants on the windshield gaskets but in vein. Later i identified that the leaks come only when the wiper is on. Its a small tightening job that you need to do with the help of the service guy.

Highwaypatrol
I have similar symptoms with the new Thar (4 days old now ) . Where and what should be tightened ? Can this be done without a visit to the workshop ?
Old 6th August 2013, 13:55   #2697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
It is very easy to remove the soft top of the CRDe. You will need to remove the four rivets on top of the passenger door and driver door, and you will need to remove the horizontal channel on both sides, which holds the top. After which removing will take only 2 minutes.

One IMPORTANT point: While storing the soft top, please dont crumple and store. If possible keep it as straight as possible. If not, you will start seeing leaks and water in your vehicle.

Hi Dhanush - would you be able to do a step by step post with photos :-) Please ?
Old 6th August 2013, 14:15   #2698
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

To add to that, read this about care and maintenance:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...-soft-top.html
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 18:58   #2699
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Biju Nair shares the following unfortunate ownership experience:

Quote:
Dear Team BHP, I have been a regular follower from 2009. What your team does to an auto enthusiast is highly valuable.

But since your site/advises are highly regarded among people like us who work hard only to drive and buy vehicles,who fights with wife,parents and friends to own a dream vehicle, please fight against manufactures like mahindra who out rightly cheats customers with products like 'mahindra Thar'. There might be passionate people around with -in your forum who must have made that product but for a common man who takes loans and pays EMI's of around 15k per month for a new vehicle,again spending lakhs to re-model the vehicle is crime.

I bought a Thar in 2012 and yesterday I have sold it. I am not feeling sad but relieved. You guys have the responsibility to speak for people like us who have been cheated by manufactures like Mahindra who sent half-baked products with out any safety standards to endanger life's of innocent people for profit making.

I am still reading all the posts in the forum of 'Thar',and feel that many experts in this field are turning a blind eye towards reality. Please do not follow the path of auto magazines who are sponsored by the manufactures. Let your expertise in this area be a mirror to these profit makers who are ready to endanger life's of people for money making.

My thar came to a stand still while cruising on a highway at 40-45km per hour along with my wife and my 1.5 yr old daughter. 45 km to 0 without applying brakes!!!!!! The seat belt fixing at the bottom came loose and my wife and kid had a narrow escape. There was no vehicle coming from behind so we are still alive. Mahindra service center analyzed the problem to be of 'housing bolt?' coming loose and they changed the entire assembly without any cost. They provided me with a xylo till i received my Thar back.

Customer service-I have no complaints, but on that day if there was a truck behind me or i was overtaking at that moment, the whole world must not have known what actually happened. It would have gone as an other accident and a family is wiped out...thats it!!.

So they produce vehicles like this with quality issues and the complaints that i see in the forum is all about a nut loose or water from a/c etc..

Thar is a half-baked product and it requires re-call and up-gradation. I have faced a lot of issues with Thar( wiper motor went of in pouring rain, during night while driving from cochin to Bangalore) which proves that its not a reliable vehicle. Please do not give an impression to potential customers that its a family vehicle that could be used on a daily purpose. Its not!!!. may be i am wrong and its a rare incident but iam a mahindra customer who loved jeeps, sold a ford Ikon,bought a thar, driven it for 17000kms, and sold it for 5.5 lakhs.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 22:49   #2700
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

For those of us who have been around Mahindra jeeps understand that Thar is nothing but a better jeep. Hence our expectations are less and we keep the bar low. But for folks who have only seen Mahindra Jeeps but never owned one, probably have much higher expectations from the Thar, and end up being disappointed.

Guys, please understand the only reason you buy a Thar is to go off-road or look cool. It is by no means a family vehicle. Don't buy it to take your family on cross country trips...
4x4addict is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks