Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2011, 07:47   #616
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

When car companies spend more on brand positioning than on R&D, there is something seriously wrong.
Old 19th January 2011, 08:13   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
When car companies spend more on brand positioning than on R&D, there is something seriously wrong.
I believe this is for the whole of M&M including Tech Mahindra and Satyam acquisition and not just for its automobile division.
Old 19th January 2011, 10:34   #618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I don't think its wrong, as automobiles are more and more becoming like FMCG's so investment into brand positioning and management is very important. But in totality the marcomm spend of 120 Crores is a fraction of the total group turnover. The worldwide thumb rule is 2-4% of turnover.

Yes M&M needs to do more investment in R&D but given the short product lifecycles, sometimes it may not make a convincing business case!

Cheers
Old 19th January 2011, 11:03   #619
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I don't think its wrong, as automobiles are more and more becoming like FMCG's so investment into brand positioning and management is very important. But in totality the marcomm spend of 120 Crores is a fraction of the total group turnover. The worldwide thumb rule is 2-4% of turnover.

Yes M&M needs to do more investment in R&D but given the short product lifecycles, sometimes it may not make a convincing business case!
I run a product company. And R&D is the life blood of any product company. It is not optional, even MBA dudes learn that in their course, but conveniently forget. When a company doesn't spend money on R&D, we get 1970 quality Thar instead of 2010 quality Thar. My local mechanic has refused to replace the rusting hood latches on my Jeep saying Mahindra latches are no good. So I had to order one from USA.
Old 19th January 2011, 12:11   #620
BHPian

Hello Behram Sir and Spikey Sir,

Why dont we get atleast this dash in India on Thar ? Why are the home users neglected ? Is it because we dont have any option ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle888 View Post
Here are those pics of my THAR Dash here in SA
I am very happy with it. I never wanted the best dash possible, but I did want a lifestyle vehicle that offers the BEST LOOKING 1950'S 4X4 Look, plus the BEST DIESEL POWERHOUSE and The BEST 4X4 GEARBOX. I got this all in the MAHINDRA THAR. I also added a pic of the change I made to my door panels. I had no issue with the original door panels, but as a hobby I changed to 2mm dimple plate. Hope this helps
Old 19th January 2011, 12:50   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Hello Behram Sir and Spikey Sir,

Why dont we get atleast this dash in India on Thar ? Why are the home users neglected ? Is it because we dont have any option ?
The dash is the same (looks, material etc.). There is no matter of neglect as being projected here. For those who feel Export and Indian versions are different, we cordially invite you to come here and see the manufacturing. You can have a look at both variants side by side and then comment.

Spike

PS- Rajesh, I have warned you earlier also, please don't call me Sir, you can call me by my handle or my real name.
Old 19th January 2011, 13:08   #622
BHPian

Looks like the SA Thar has the Adventure version dash. Can we get the dash alone in the Indian Thar?
Old 19th January 2011, 13:57   #623
BHPian

Soory about the Sir Spikey. Looks and Materials can be same but how about the finishing ? I feel that the rough edges are missing on the ZA Thar or is it my eyes are cheating me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
The dash is the same (looks, material etc.). There is no matter of neglect as being projected here. For those who feel Export and Indian versions are different, we cordially invite you to come here and see the manufacturing. You can have a look at both variants side by side and then comment.

Spike

PS- Rajesh, I have warned you earlier also, please don't call me Sir, you can call me by my handle or my real name.
Old 19th January 2011, 20:09   #624
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Soory about the Sir Spikey. Looks and Materials can be same but how about the finishing ? I feel that the rough edges are missing on the ZA Thar or is it my eyes are cheating me ?
@2500cc, No, your eyes are not deceiving you. Most of us here can tell that the finish AND the material are not the same. But then again, most of us dont work for M&M, and therefore can call a spade a spade.

M&M is way too busy with new marketing strategies and brand building than worry about a few crappy Thars rolling out of assembly lines built by what seems to be apprentice workers, and using the cheapest available plastics in the market.

So, welcome to the club of "The Disappointed".
Old 19th January 2011, 21:52   #625

Im sorry, Mahindra spending money on marketing and brand buliding is wrong but Volkswagen spending a hundred crores on its TOI marketing campaign is OK??

Im sorry, but you guys should get YOUR priorities straight.
Old 19th January 2011, 22:18   #626
Senior - BHPian

Why are we even discussing VW on this thread?

And is the THAR acceptable as a "Lifestyle" vehicle under any figment of imagination? I would say "No way" but that's only IMHO
Old 19th January 2011, 22:43   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Im sorry, Mahindra spending money on marketing and brand buliding is wrong but Volkswagen spending a hundred crores on its TOI marketing campaign is OK??

Im sorry, but you guys should get YOUR priorities straight.
Check the best-in-class fit and finish of the VW Polo's interior. VW is new to India and so they have to create awareness. So they spend money to address their weak points.

Every tom, dick and harry in India knows Mahindra. The best way to improve the brand is to improve fit n finish (weak pt) of their products. Instead.... think you get my drift.
Old 19th January 2011, 23:34   #628
Senior - BHPian

@Cyrus43: None of the threads on the forum spoke about VW cars having rust or bad interiors. Not one thread spoke about some bad experience with the VW car. Skoda not included.

M&M purchased a bunch of companies. Guess an interior maker should be purchased ASAP.
Let the numbers of Thar do the talking. Should find out how many of them are DI and how many Crdes were sold to figure out if all the hype and hoopla have stood to the test of the customers patience.

PS: My bro had gone for a test drive of Thar and was given a DI to drive. One comment was it was ok and very similar to the 540.

Would i suggest dad to change his 540 for the thar currently? NO. I will wait for a couple of years and watch.
Old 20th January 2011, 08:31   #629
Distinguished - BHPian

Cyrus,

Why are the creators / designers of the Thar crying and saying that they didn't have a budget to develop a car but according to you M&M can spend crores to market it. The company needs to get it's priorities right.
Old 20th January 2011, 09:14   #630
BHPian

I personally feel Anirudh's option to purchase the Getaway is a classic example of loosing out on a potential Thar buyer purely due to lack of clear answers to doubts raised. Albeit, it is commendable that MC stuck to purchasing a M&M product and opted for the Getaway. As much as I'm chuffed to know MC got a vehicle that will help his insane appetite for adventure and travel, the after taste is not good.

a. He had a keen eye on the OTR scene and was experiencing this through his own Bolero and other mighty steeds from people on here. The bug bit him and he wanted to learn more and had decided on the buying the Thar right from its R&D days. The vehicle is still being marketed to tickle this very kind of customer, yet it lost out.

b. Thar final product has been so confusing to this buyer and forced Ani to compromise on his "wants".Its not like he can treat the getaway in the same vein as the Thar coz its 30-40% more expensive than his initial purchase option. It was not like MC had the option to go 2nd hand and get a vehicle to satisfy him since a good finance option would not be feasible. The Thar ticked all the boxes for him......... yet he and M&M lost out.

c. The reason I'm most gutted for him is because he has had to go out and shell more money than initially structured. Whilst being disappointing in whats being offered as a final product, Thar has pushed him to shell out 10Lacs rather than making sure he spends about 1Lac more and gets all the features he wants in the Thar itself. Such uncertainties from a brand that's proved so customer friendly certainly doesn't instill confidence in the Thar product at-least.

He's a happy customer( albeit, a compromised one)at the end of the day. I only wish his initial choice and dream was good enough for me to be a happy well-wisher and admirer of the Thar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks