Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2011, 21:08   #1351
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal Rajan View Post
HI Behram,

your passion says it all and there can be no verdict better than yours for that matter as I believe, you by now know fo evey single bolt in a Thar.

I ve been following Thar and esp you from the embryonic stages of its development and needless to say , I love jeeps since my childhood and esp this look .Speed and suspensions kept me off them .Well this one can cruise at 130 plus kms without a groan so full marks for it , this one has IFS , so it surely has a great a great ride and handling. I suppose better than the Scorp so again full marks. I drove the jeep recently with my son at a construction site climbed the those mudhills on 4h and 4L as well did the crawl etc .but I could not take it on the tarmac as it did not have number plates. also let me tell you , this is apt for a 6ft 3 inch height of mine with generous leg room full marks here again ..never the less I am going for the Thar. It was just a concern that how could you guys go wrong and esp post having owned a scorp.
I have alraedy had a meeting with nanda a nd the day my thar arrives it going to be one of its kind

I just need 2 answers Mr BD whre is the clutch sleeve cylinder situated , inside the gearbox like Mhawk or outside like CRDE?

Does the vehicle actually have a top speed of 150 kph per hour like the scorp and as per your claim on webcast of Thar launch?

The engine is slightly slanting inwards , at least it looked like instead of being paralell to the ground , and so is the steering offset a bit .why so?

Trust me negative comments do not have any effect on me unless I experience them . t took me 4 yrs to actually buy a scorp as I was test driving every variant .finally crde 2.6 the W that you guys call was the one and still is the best.. so Thar is the same engine block is for keeps

Regards
Vishal Rajan
Dear Vishal Rajan - thank you for comments / queries. I am just a normal guy doing a normal job with my feet firmly planted on the ground. In my case, I am doing exactly what I love to do, that's what differentiates. Many others are not so fortunate, I know because they tell me and I see it also.

We must know every nut and bolt of the Thar. It is our job. Jaggi Nanda is my very good personal friend and is even more passionate than me about cars.

To answer your questions - the clutch slave cylinder is outside the bell housing, just like the Scorpio NEF CRDe (actually these parts are same).

The drive train is tilted in North South direction in exactly the same angle as Scorpio (actually these parts are also same).

I have touched "indicated" 154 kmph on the Indore Mhow bypass of NH3 and there was still reserve power but traffic prevented me from going faster. The high speed track at VRDE has a neutral speed of 150 kmph only. I now look forward to driving on the new NATRIP high speed test track as soon as it starts operations because it will have a neutral speed of 250 kmph and at 14 kms long, it will be the longest test track in Asia. Construction is in full swing now.

The steering wheel offset with respect to seat center line is exactly same as Bolero because the dash panel of Thar (the sheet metal firewall behind the engine) is same as Bolero VLX except for the round end cuts given to incorporate the MM540 look instead of the Bolero look. The front seats are of Bolero, also mounted in the same position as Bolero except that the upholstery is different. Therefore, the steering wheel offset is same as it is in Bolero. The steering column, the ABC pedals (accelerator / brake / clutch) and gear shift lever are of Bolero VLX.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 3rd April 2011, 00:51   #1352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal Rajan View Post
I just need 2 answers Mr BD whre is the clutch sleeve cylinder situated , inside the gearbox like Mhawk or outside like CRDE?
Vishal, any reason for asking this query? Do you have any observations of the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Saw the Thar CRDe at Bremen Chowk, Pune today at around 11:30 a.m. Has this been launched in Pune now?
What color was it?

Spike
Old 3rd April 2011, 12:03   #1353

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Vishal Rajan - thank you for comments / queries. I am just a normal guy doing a normal job with my feet firmly planted on the ground. In my case, I am doing exactly what I love to do, that's what differentiates. Many others are not so fortunate, I know because they tell me and I see it also.

We must know every nut and bolt of the Thar. It is our job. Jaggi Nanda is my very good personal friend and is even more passionate than me about cars.

To answer your questions - the clutch slave cylinder is outside the bell housing, just like the Scorpio NEF CRDe (actually these parts are same).

The drive train is tilted in North South direction in exactly the same angle as Scorpio (actually these parts are also same).

I have touched "indicated" 154 kmph on the Indore Mhow bypass of NH3 and there was still reserve power but traffic prevented me from going faster. The high speed track at VRDE has a neutral speed of 150 kmph only. I now look forward to driving on the new NATRIP high speed test track as soon as it starts operations because it will have a neutral speed of 250 kmph and at 14 kms long, it will be the longest test track in Asia. Construction is in full swing now.

The steering wheel offset with respect to seat center line is exactly same as Bolero because the dash panel of Thar (the sheet metal firewall behind the engine) is same as Bolero VLX except for the round end cuts given to incorporate the MM540 look instead of the Bolero look. The front seats are of Bolero, also mounted in the same position as Bolero except that the upholstery is different. Therefore, the steering wheel offset is same as it is in Bolero. The steering column, the ABC pedals (accelerator / brake / clutch) and gear shift lever are of Bolero VLX.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram,
Thank you for this info. Indeed this is a mile muncher and an earth cruncher
Suits well for me and my marathon road trips coupled with moderate offroading into the rurals.
However , Autocar , claims that Thar has an economy of close to 18.1 km/p/l. On the highway and around 13 in the city. Is that so . Well in that case. This would reach me to jaipur or bangalore with a single fill and that's amazing. Not the question of saving money but multiple stops can me avoided.
Old 3rd April 2011, 12:11   #1354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
What color was it?

Spike
It was the Mist Silver color. I think the temporary registration was MH14 (but could not see it clearly). Also had a feeling that some of the folks inside were M&M employees (color of their shirts). I actually had only a glimpse, since they went straight towards the university circle and I turned left.
Old 3rd April 2011, 12:22   #1355

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Saw the Thar CRDe at Bremen Chowk, Pune today at around 11:30 a.m. Has this been launched in Pune now?
I visited Silver Jubilee Motors on East Street, and test drove the Thar DI.
I had gone there with an intention to book the Thar CRDe, however there is still no concrete news, when this version would be launched in Pune.

As per the salesman, delivery of the DI 4x4 version would take about 3 months, after booking. The DI 2x4 is within the week.

I have to add, that the service in Silver Jubilee is really nice. The sales people are genuinely friendly, and courteous.

I am hoping for a miracle, that some how the CRDe version is released in Pune real soon, and that I can buy my Thar CRDe before the next EXAMM date planned.
Wishful thinking, but I dare to dream!!
Old 3rd April 2011, 13:11   #1356

Yes spike, good that the slv cylinder is outside the bell housing. One can check for potential oil leaks. Thou this does not often trouble you but mine in my scorp, packed up last summer in the middle of nowhere near jhansi. I had. Some spare oil to be put and had it fixed in less than 15 mins at the mahindra showroom ,jhansi. Thankfully crde comes with the cylinder outside while the mhawk has it placed inside the gearbox casing. This means u cannot check and if it fails then its a cool half a days job of dismantling the casing .
Old 5th April 2011, 21:07   #1357
BHPian

I got this pic from facebook .

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-199835_164151133639443_100001336715946_323489_7937667_n.jpg

I belive its replica, a neat work on MM540/550.
I can see the front Shock absorber, A Power steering assembly on the front cross member and there is no Intercooler !!

What you guys think ?

Please delete this is if it violates our Rules .

Sreejesh
Old 6th April 2011, 02:26   #1358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post

I can see the front Shock absorber, A Power steering assembly on the front cross member and there is no Intercooler !!
that definitely looks like a replica and cosmetically a good one at it, at an initial glance wouldn't have been possible to figure it out asap if it weren't for your observations. only question in my mind is : why is it on a t/r?

any more pics at the Facebook source sreejesh?

Last edited by aadix : 6th April 2011 at 02:30.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:15   #1359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post

What you guys think ?
Isn't this the Thar DI? Wears a CRDe badge though...

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 6th April 2011 at 15:16.
Old 6th April 2011, 17:16   #1360
BHPian

finally got some pics of my Thar and here it is. The alloys are OE for those interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-wp_000152.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-wp_000150.jpg  

Old 6th April 2011, 17:52   #1361
Senior - BHPian

Smart looking Jeep Tha'Red.So those alloys were fitted at the dealership or were they installed from the factory itself?
Old 6th April 2011, 19:47   #1362
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Navpreet - vehicles leave Nasik plant with 160 pcd*5 / +55 mm offset / 6.5J steel wheels / spherical seat nuts.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 6th April 2011, 20:21   #1363

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Navpreet - vehicles leave Nasik plant with 160 pcd*5 / +55 mm offset / 6.5J steel wheels / spherical seat nuts.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram,
Thank you for this info. Indeed this is a mile muncher and an earth cruncher
Suits well for me and my marathon road trips coupled with moderate offroading into the rurals.
However , Autocar , claims that Thar has an economy of close to 18.1 km/p/l. On the highway and around 13 in the city. Is that so . Well in that case. This would reach me to jaipur or bangalore with a single fill and that's amazing. Not the question of saving money but multiple stops can me avoided.
Old 6th April 2011, 20:48   #1364
BHPian

My wife and I have seen the amazing Vedios and I have read enough on this most fascinating Jeep ever built in India named very aptly THAR.

My take is that I sincerely hope that the THAR succeeds in the Market here in India and abroad.

The pricing for this solid technology special purpose vehicle is amazingly cheap at Rs 7 lakhs on the road.

I am sure the Indian Army variant of the Thar will be launched considering the terrain that Army uses. A BMP-THAR combination in the Battle fields for the Mechanised Infantry is not too far away.

Even the BSF in the Deserts will need the THAR in the sandy terrian for patrolling the 1200 kms long border areas.

Rgds

Commander Nandu Chitnis
(Retd)

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 6th April 2011 at 21:02.
Old 6th April 2011, 20:51   #1365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Smart looking Jeep Tha'Red.So those alloys were fitted at the dealership or were they installed from the factory itself?
Thanks Navpreet. they were fitted at the dealership. i guess i misled by saying OE. BD Sir has clarified the OE specs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks