Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2012, 11:05   #481
Senior - BHPian

Moral Dilemma

Dear All,

I am in a midst of a moral Dilemma here and need advise!

We bought a zen in 2005 and is well maintained. Currently at 69,000 KMS on the ODO and going good. Also, my wifey gifted me with a 2012 Nano this year and has clocked about 1400 Kms.

Just to give a little background, we were just 4 of us in 2005-2009 period but now we are 5+0.5 (Little baby boy). I now need a bigger vehicle.

However, my running is less these days so we are managing with 2 cars. But, whenever we are going out for functions or outstation trip, we certainly cannot use the Nano. Also, the cost of running + maintenance is gone up for the Zen.

Lastly, the tires that I had put in Zen are now giving up; buying new set of tires is going to cost me 15K, if I decide to install CNG kit, another 35K + atleast 10K for service and misc expenses.

I see a total expense of atleast 50,000 INR where as the resale value of the Zen may not be more than 1 lac now.

Should i make the changes and use the car for another year or:
  • Exchange the car for Ertiga VDi
  • Xylo/Mini
  • Duster (will it ever come with 7 seats?)
  • Enjoy
  • Any other options?
Please note that I am not in a hurry but will have to take a call by the year end as my son will no longer fit in the car comfortably (will need his own seat) and nor will we be comfortable. Over an above that it is a critical safety issue.

Please advise.
Old 2nd June 2012, 11:14   #482
Senior - BHPian

Re: Moral Dilemma

I'd suggest you go in for an Ertiga. Its spacious enough to seat more than 5 people, plus the size is perfect for driving and parking on city roads. Its a Maruti, so good After-sales service is guaranteed.

Any other MUV you buy is a handful in the city, and you really don't need to lug around so much dead weight when you're less than 4 people.

Selling the Zen is something I'd advise you against. Its a little bundle of joy, inexpensive to own and maintain. In any case it would have negligible resale value now. If your car is well maintained, keep it as it is and use it for weekend spins .
Old 2nd June 2012, 11:47   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Dear All,

I am in a midst of a moral Dilemma here and need advise!

We bought a zen in 2005 and is well maintained. Currently at 69,000 KMS on the ODO and going good. Also, my wifey gifted me with a 2012 Nano this year and has clocked about 1400 Kms.

Just to give a little background, we were just 4 of us in 2005-2009 period but now we are 5+0.5 (Little baby boy). I now need a bigger vehicle.

However, my running is less these days so we are managing with 2 cars. But, whenever we are going out for functions or outstation trip, we certainly cannot use the Nano.
Zen is outside warranty and servicing it at MASS would be an expensive affair. And with 70,000 kms on the odo, you are up for major expenses in the near future.

I would suggest you to exchange the ZEN with an ERTIGA and retain the NANO.

Nano can be used for local runabouts to the grocery store etc.
Old 2nd June 2012, 12:46   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
I'd suggest you go in for an Ertiga.
Selling the Zen is something I'd advise you against. Its a little bundle of joy, inexpensive to own and maintain. In any case it would have negligible resale value now. If your car is well maintained, keep it as it is and use it for weekend spins .
Yes, my zen is well maintained and hence the "moral dilemma". Why fix something which ain't broke. Besides it's my first car (and a lot of first's followed after I got that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Zen is outside warranty and servicing it at MASS would be an expensive affair. And with 70,000 kms on the odo, you are up for major expenses in the near future.

I would suggest you to exchange the ZEN with an ERTIGA and retain the NANO.

Nano can be used for local runabouts to the grocery store etc.
Indeed. Last year when my AC failed, they quoted 9,000 where as Carnation serviced it for 3,000 INR. I guess exchange is the only option.

Nano will be retained for visiting the grocery stores/gym. I used it as a mobile office. While waiting for someone, I can keep the car on (with the ac) and happily keep working! Not much difference in fuel efficieny
Old 4th June 2012, 11:59   #485
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

I am in a similar dilemma wrt the Santro. While the Santro has clocked just under 80k, it still runs beautifully, as experienced yesterday on a drive to and from Pune on the e-way. It's still a fantastic car to drive in the city as well as on the highways, no major work (except the change of exhaust last week) done yet or anticipated. Maybe a coat of paint on the floor to keep it from rusting and the car should service me well for another four years.

On the other hand the FE isn't so great (14kmpl is the norm, anything above that is reason for rejoicing) and the AC is a drain on the FE. I am getting an offer on the Nano, that too on company lease, which should give me some tax benefits too. Considering there's at least a 5kmpl difference in the with AC FE of Santro and the Nano, if I opt for the Nano I don't have to sweat it to office every morning.

Nano also ticks most of the other boxes as for the Santro, great interior space, great acceleration and small size. The boot is tiny but won't miss that in the daily ride. In fact I have hardly opened the Santro's boot in the last six months (except maybe to store away some unnecessary items out of view).

The only missing feature would be the Nano can't cruise at 3-digit speeds, but it can definitely keep up with most cars (I actually measured the speeds yesterday and found a couple of them doing e-way speeds quite comfortably).

So while I can exchange now and save some money on the taxes and the running expenses, I don't really have any major complaints from my Santro. What should I do?
Old 4th June 2012, 13:19   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I don't really have any major complaints from my Santro. What should I do?
IMO you should retain Santro. Keep it in good conditions for highway drives and use Nano for City drives. I don't think it will be safe to drive Nano above 100, even the WagonR is unsafe above 110. Nano is light vehicle best suitable for City use.

Other than that there is difference in snob value as well. Santro is any day better than Nano in this area.

Keep the Santro with you for couple of years or 1 lac KM mark.

Last edited by bluevolt : 4th June 2012 at 13:21.
Old 4th June 2012, 13:44   #487
BHPian

I was also in a similar dilemma a year back; had a 5 year old Alto which had only clocked 35k kms. I got a good price (Rs. 190k) for the well-maintained Alto and bought a one-year old Ritz for Rs. 390k through True Value. I have been using the Ritz for more than a year now.

If I was in your place, I would sell the Zen and maybe go for an Ertiga or Xylo. My cousin who works for the Maruti dealer in my hometown tells me that the Ertiga is an awesome car! Go for it!
Old 4th June 2012, 17:53   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
IMO you should retain Santro. Keep it in good conditions for highway drives and use Nano for City drives. I don't think it will be safe to drive Nano above 100, even the WagonR is unsafe above 110. Nano is light vehicle best suitable for City use.

Other than that there is difference in snob value as well. Santro is any day better than Nano in this area.

Keep the Santro with you for couple of years or 1 lac KM mark.
Err, I have another car for long drives, Ikon. So it's less of a concern. Any serious highway driving would see me driving the Ikon.

E-way driving again has been only a handful of times during the last year, so that's not a serious handicap. If the Nano can cruise along at near-three-digit speeds it should be good enough.

I am least bothered about the snob value. In fact I think getting a Nano is more of a style statement than the Santro. It's purely the financials which are confusing me. Unless it saves me money in four years, I don't want to part with my Santro.
Old 4th June 2012, 18:00   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Unless it saves me money in four years, I don't want to part with my Santro.
If you have another car(iKon) then I don't think that keeping Santro is a good idea. Sell it. My post was made keeping only two cars in mind.
Old 5th June 2012, 15:10   #490
Senior - BHPian

ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-leasecarcalculations.jpg

This calculation shows I save around 50k at the end of four years.
For the sake of calculations the resale price of both cars at the end of four years is same: 20k
I have not included any possible discounts/other bargains such as free accessories.
Lease interest is not accurate and is a guesstimate.
Santro price as of date has been assumed to be around 165k (that's the amount I owe). If this price were not in the equation, there was no contest.
I have not factored in any opportunity cost on the downpayment and insurance I shall NOT have to pay on a leased car for four years.

Last edited by honeybee : 5th June 2012 at 15:14.
Old 15th June 2012, 17:06   #491
BHPian

Wanted to Buy Scorpio AT 2 years back but didnt work out and bought i20 AT

Now thinking of selling my i20 AT and get a Used Scorpio AT, couldn't get any sellers in chennai. The primary reason of getting Scorpio is to get some comfort on long drives (I am 6'3") and if suddenly had to go long drive with my parents or relatives with 2 kids is not comfortable with i20.

My budget is 9 - 10L max, the new would cost I think atleast 14L as the ex-show room itself 11.5L. I have been watching classifies of Team-BHP, gaadi, Sulekha.. but no luck so far.

I know that selling a vehicle just after 2 years wouldn't a good financial decision, that is the reason I want to make it up by getting a Used vehicle.

Appreciate inputs.
Old 15th June 2012, 17:43   #492
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhp
Wanted to Buy Scorpio AT 2 years back but didnt work out and bought i20 AT

Now thinking of selling my i20 AT and get a Used Scorpio AT, couldn't get any sellers in chennai. The primary reason of getting Scorpio is to get some comfort on long drives (I am 6'3") and if suddenly had to go long drive with my parents or relatives with 2 kids is not comfortable with i20.

My budget is 9 - 10L max, the new would cost I think atleast 14L as the ex-show room itself 11.5L. I have been watching classifies of Team-BHP, gaadi, Sulekha.. but no luck so far.

I know that selling a vehicle just after 2 years wouldn't a good financial decision, that is the reason I want to make it up by getting a Used vehicle.

Appreciate inputs.
What about the Duster? Of course there is no AT.
Old 15th June 2012, 18:26   #493
BHPian

nope, I want only AT, has been driving AT for almost 7 years, don't know how to drive a MT vehicle :-)

Last edited by carbhp : 15th June 2012 at 18:29.
Old 27th July 2012, 10:42   #494
Senior - BHPian

Though I'm not against selling old cars and buying new one, however I do not agree this writers viewpoint and some of the reasons he has given for selling old cars and buying new one's.
Liked it, so sharing it on this thread.

Quote:
To read more-> Five reasons to sell your old car and go for a new one| ET Slide Shows

Five reasons to sell your old car and go for a new one

Every car owner's love for his car is different. Some people find themselves out of love in a year or two. For some, the love lasts for, say, fifteen or twenty years, or until the car is beyond repair.

The reasons for falling out of love may vary with each owner: some people are in the habit of changing their cars every time a higher version is launched by the company; for some others the car is all about their status symbol; some people junk their car after it has met with an accident and has started giving mechanical problems.

Last edited by bblost : 27th July 2012 at 10:46. Reason: Please do not quote a complete copyrighted article. Thanks.
Old 27th July 2012, 11:13   #495
Senior - BHPian

These writers have to promote buying of new cars, because there are commercial interests involved. So even if the case made for keeping your old car, they would still advise against keeping it.

By the way I traded my old Santro against a new Nano. And before you all club me to death for parting with the Santro which still has a few years' life left in it, the sole reason is the running expeneses. With the Santro barely past 16kmpl without AC and the Nano already giving me approximately 20 with partial AC, the cost factor just cannot be ignored.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks