Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 09:26   #466
BHPian

Re: Dilemma! To Repair Old Car or to Buy New Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
1.4 lakhs off on a new Polo 1.6? That's brilliant! Is this a dealer-specific thing? Are they trying to clear out the stock?

Do you have more information on this? I ask, because it can hold clues (discontinuation of the Polo's current engine options)
Regarding the 1.6 prices - I've got the same quote from a couple of dealers in Mumbai. It's just clearing the 2011 stock - the 2012 ones do not come with that much of discount. The discount comes to around 1 Lakh in cash discounts + free insurance + free extended warranty. You will have to check whether dealers n your city have 2011 stock that they need to clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Thanks for the great link vigsom. Definitely want to try them out - looks like the only problem is the amount of time they would take to repair the car ( as I desperately need the car daily as I return home at 2 am). Or perhaps there is a generous Team Bhpian out there with a spare car who can loan me his car while my car gets repaired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
SIRAJBOSE - Keep the verna

1) It is still less than 5 years old/
2) With repairs it should be as good as new.
3) You have a plan to move abroad and any new car you buy will depreciate very fast. Get the new one later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
My suggestion would be to keep it for now, add to this fact you would be moving outside India. Why buy a new car and again sell it after 2 years its a total waste
More and more people definitely seem to be suggesting that! Looks like the only viable option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The thrumming noise could be since your tyres are hardened and worn.
No ajmat - the tyres are relatively new - changed to new Bridgestones ER60 around 10k kms back.
Old 15th May 2012, 09:47   #467
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should I sell my 8 year old Santro that has done 45k on the ODO, and buy a new Honda Brio, OR Should I keep my Santro, spend 40k on a new windshield, new wheels & tyres, new suspension components and iron out the dents and buff the scratches.
A classic dilemma. Since you mention that you are going to find it tough with the EMIs, I suggest you stick with the Santro for a year or till you are able to manage the EMIs or go with ACM's suggestion of a second hand car in the 3-4 years age bracket. A friend of mine recently picked up a very well maintained second hand i10 Magna (20k on the ODO) for a steal, which tells you that there are good deals out there.

On the topic of your Santro, I wonder why you will have to spend so much to refurbish the car, especially since you have covered only 45k. If the car is devoid of many nicks and scratches, then you can certainly get a very good price for the car.

sirajbose It makes sense to stick with your Verna for now and sell it when you plan to shift base.
Old 15th May 2012, 13:24   #468
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
SUHAS - Sell the santro and buy another newer PREOWNED car in the 3-4 year age band...

...Yes a radical Idea but why not..
That's certainly worth considering.

Thanks ACM. Will have a lot of thinking to do now.

Two things though:

- My heart is set on the Brio.

- My Santro was preowned to begin with. We bought it when it had done just 5k on the ODO, and got one lakh off when we closed the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirajbose View Post
Regarding the 1.6 prices - I've got the same quote from a couple of dealers in Mumbai. It's just clearing the 2011 stock - the 2012 ones do not come with that much of discount. The discount comes to around 1 Lakh in cash discounts + free insurance + free extended warranty. You will have to check whether dealers n your city have 2011 stock that they need to clear.
But still, 1.4 lakh off on a brand new car must surely mean something more. It's understandable if the discount in question is 40k or so. But a 1.4 lakhs discount is something worth dwelling into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
A classic dilemma. Since you mention that you are going to find it tough with the EMIs, I suggest you stick with the Santro for a year or till you are able to manage the EMIs or go with ACM's suggestion of a second hand car in the 3-4 years age bracket. A friend of mine recently picked up a very well maintained second hand i10 Magna (20k on the ODO) for a steal, which tells you that there are good deals out there.

On the topic of your Santro, I wonder why you will have to spend so much to refurbish the car, especially since you have covered only 45k. If the car is devoid of many nicks and scratches, then you can certainly get a very good price for the car.
Great advice!

What do you think about waiting a year or so and then picking up a used Brio?

There would be some low-mileage examples around and depreciation will ensure that it will be more affordable too.

I did a quick mental calculation and arrived at the 40k figure. I will need that much to get the car back to good running condition.

My windscreen is scratched and while driving at night, the light gets scattered all over the place and it completely blinds me. I avoid taking my Santro for night drives because I can barely see anything out of my scratched windscreen. Not sure how much a new windscreen is. I'm sure it will be around 10k.

My tyres are due for replacement. That will set me back by another 10k I suppose.

Suspension needs some work. Not sure how much that would cost but I don't think it's going to be cheap.

While I'm at it, I might as well get a few dents done too, and buff out the scratches. So I'm guessing a total bill of 40k if I get it done at an authorized Hyundai service center.
Old 15th May 2012, 14:04   #469
Senior - BHPian

Suhaas, I doubt if you can sell your car for a lakh. I recently got quotes of around 70k from dealers for my Santro. At this price point I am thinking of keeping it for another four years and consume all its utility. After all I shall still get at least 20k if I were to scrap it at the end of its 15 year life.

Even if I were to upgrade to a Nano (which is 2.5L on road) I shall have to shell out around 1.5 lakhs from my pocket. Considering the Nano can't do highway runs and carry luggage the same way as the Santro, there's little incentive to spend. I might as well keep the 1.5 lakhs and use it for any repairs on the Santro.

If I were to look at a modern hatch, even for a new Santro I shall have to pay more than 3L from my pocket. I seldom require features like power windows or defoggers or even ABS. So this payment (or interest on a similar loan) would go towards features which aren't essential to me. Again, if I were to park this money in my bank account or invest it, I could easily use just the interest to service and maintain my Santro.

So if you are looking at it financially, it doesn't suggest selling.

The windscreen should cost you around 4k to 4k (not the A$$ price, but aftermarket one). I got original Ford stamped windscreen for my Ikon for about 6k.

Four Michelin XM1+ tyres cost me a little under 13k for the Santro. Suspension job on my Ikon cost me approx. 13k including parts and labour, so you can reduce that a little for the Santro (assumption being the suspension components should be available at cheaper prices).

I would estimate the repairs to be in the range of 30-35k if you approach a good independent garage/mechanic. You could also do the repairs in phases so you don't have to spend all the money upfront.

By the way, please ensure the suspension does NEED work. My Santro is nearing 80k and suspension has been good so far. Only the tyres had to be changed. Since your case sounds similar, get the suspension checked by a good mechanic before deciding to repair/replace it. Better yet, if tyres are gone, replace them first. That will give you a better idea about your suspension.
Old 15th May 2012, 14:12   #470
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Santro was preowned to begin with. We bought it when it had done just 5k on the ODO, and got one lakh off when we closed the deal.
Wow, nice deal!

Quote:
What do you think about waiting a year or so and then picking up a used Brio? There would be some low-mileage examples around and depreciation will ensure that it will be more affordable too.
That's a good idea. You might just find a used Brio and won't have to take the depreciation hit.

Quote:
My windscreen is scratched and while driving at night, the light gets scattered all over the place and it completely blinds me.
I had the same problem with my Santro. The entire surface was ridden with scratches and the glinting lights at night made it a nightmare. I replaced it (Hyundai OEM part) at Windshield Experts for Rs. 4,500 IIRC. This was in March 2011.

Quote:
My tyres are due for replacement. Suspension needs some work.
This will set you back a fair bit. Suspension work at a Hyundai A.S.S can be expensive. My Santro was also due for this but we decided to sell it instead since it had covered eight years and spent about half that time traversing bad roads. With all the other odd bits, its best you get a quote for the work and then decide if you want to proceed.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 14:22   #471
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Suhaas, I doubt if you can sell your car for a lakh. I recently got quotes of around 70k from dealers for my Santro. At this price point I am thinking of keeping it for another four years and consume all its utility. After all I shall still get at least 20k if I were to scrap it at the end of its 15 year life.
About a year ago, I had someone approaching me for my car. he quoted 2 lakhs for it.

The thing is, I've maintained my car pretty well. Very few dings and scratches. When you drive it, you'd realize its quite smooth. The gears slot in without a fuss, the clutch still feels fresh and the steering is good. The engine is still sprightly. The interior is generally very clean and my service-record is intact too.

I'm sure I'd get a better deal than 70k for a car, especially since it has done only 45,000 km on the ODO.

Thank you for the added information. Much appreciated!

Quote:
By the way, please ensure the suspension does NEED work. My Santro is nearing 80k and suspension has been good so far. Only the tyres had to be changed. Since your case sounds similar, get the suspension checked by a good mechanic before deciding to repair/replace it. Better yet, if tyres are gone, replace them first. That will give you a better idea about your suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
This will set you back a fair bit. Suspension work at a Hyundai A.S.S can be expensive. My Santro was also due for this but we decided to sell it instead since it had covered eight years and spent about half that time traversing bad roads. With all the other odd bits, its best you get a quote for the work and then decide if you want to proceed.
Great advice guys! Much appreciated! *thumbs up*

I'm sure the suspension needs work. When I drive over speed-breakers or pot-holes, I can hear it creak and struggle like an old door. The Santro's ride is bad to begin with, but my Santro feels even worse over remotely lose and rough surfaces.

It certainly needs some work.
Old 15th May 2012, 14:51   #472
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend rehaul the suspension and keep the cars (Verna and Santro) since mileage is pretty low (by modern Jap/Korean standards).

If A.S.S. costs are high, you can also check whether aftermarket KYB suspension components are available for your car ? The OEM part numbers for Atos can be compared to Santro, and Verna is also in the list in the document here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2636551

These will be gas-charged struts and probably, work better than your OEM setup. I replaced my Lancer rear struts outside A.S.S. and only needed to replace 1/4th the parts that A.S.S. suggested. So, that can also save on costs ...
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 14:58   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place myself. If I sell my Santro, I'd probably get just about a lakh or so. I could spend that on the down-payment and the rest on the EMI.

The biggest problem I have is funds. The down-payment is alright, but the EMI is going to be a tough one to swallow. My financial position isn't great at the moment.
If funds are an issue and the Santro has not done a very high mileage, keep it and spend the 40K to service it. You will wind up spending more on an EMI and most likely the same amount on any other second hand car you buy (newer cost more and similar age some maintenance). Unless the Santro has major problems (40K service charge does not indicate so) keeping it makes the most sense financially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirajbose View Post
Friends, I need your opinion on a problem. ...

...By the way - Not willing to consider a Maruti (with their waiting periods) or a Hyundai (this is my second Hyundai) for a new car...

Mods - Putting a Opinion Poll would really help - Thanks a lot!
Selling the Verna nets you about 230,000 which means you will need to spend at least another 150,000 to 200,000 up front for any purchase, not including some more for maintenance on a second hand car. A new car will depreciate quickly and with a possible move overseas in a year or two that is not worth the loss unless you are going to give the car to someone in the family. Therefore spending the 50,000 now and 200,000 over a two year period makes the most financial sense and to add to it the car is not very old in age or kilometres so just get a second opinion on the cost and go ahead and repair it.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th May 2012 at 17:10. Reason: Avoid quoting long posts as it may inconvenience small-screen/mobile users. Thanks :)
Old 15th May 2012, 16:10   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Suhaas, I doubt if you can sell your car for a lakh. I recently got quotes of around 70k from dealers for my Santro. At this price point I am thinking of keeping it for another four years and consume all its utility. After all I shall still get at least 20k if I were to scrap it at the end of its 15 year life...

...By the way, please ensure the suspension does NEED work. My Santro is nearing 80k and suspension has been good so far. Only the tyres had to be changed. Since your case sounds similar, get the suspension checked by a good mechanic before deciding to repair/replace it. Better yet, if tyres are gone, replace them first. That will give you a better idea about your suspension.
I’m in a same dilemma. My WagonR is almost 9 year old and has clocked 67000 kms till date. During my last service, the service adviser at MASS has suggested to go for front suspension change and some work on steering column in next service. He said “the front suspension feels hard and it requires replacement.” The quotation is approximately 20K for the overall work. Though there is no squeal sound from the front suspensions. I’m also planning to go abroad in next two month and want to sell my Wagon before going. Is it possible to do some kind of repair? What could be a good deal for a Nov 2003 WagonR?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th May 2012 at 17:11. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire posts ad it may inconvenience small-screen/mobile users. Thanks :)
Old 15th May 2012, 17:05   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranShahnawaz View Post
I’m in a same dilemma. ...
My suggestion would be don't bother getting the work done. The reasons are 1. I wouldn't trust only the MASS on this and would get an independent opinion on a suspension job and 2. If you are going to sell it, why incur heavy costs? Let the buyer decide. You can lower the asking price if it really needs a suspension job.

To check if you need a suspension job,
1. Engage the handbrake
2. Jack up the front of your car
3. Grip one of the front tyres vertically (one hand on the top and the other at the bottom of the tyre)
4. Yank the tyre hard and see if it moves laterally (i.e. are you able to pull or push it against the car body)
5. If you notice movement, you may need a suspension job
6. If you can't make the tyre move, you are good

This is the process I have seen my mechanic follow.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 17:18   #476
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
I would recommend rehaul the suspension and keep the cars (Verna and Santro) since mileage is pretty low (by modern Jap/Korean standards).

If A.S.S. costs are high, you can also check whether aftermarket KYB suspension components are available for your car ? The OEM part numbers for Atos can be compared to Santro, and Verna is also in the list in the document here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2636551

These will be gas-charged struts and probably, work better than your OEM setup. I replaced my Lancer rear struts outside A.S.S. and only needed to replace 1/4th the parts that A.S.S. suggested. So, that can also save on costs ...
Thank you! Will certainly consider after-market parts. No point spending a bomb on the car when I might not have it for too long anyway. Thank you, Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
If funds are an issue and the Santro has not done a very high mileage, keep it and spend the 40K to service it. You will wind up spending more on an EMI and most likely the same amount on any other second hand car you buy (newer cost more and similar age some maintenance). Unless the Santro has major problems (40K service charge does not indicate so) keeping it makes the most sense financially.
Well, that's the thing. Economically, it makes sense to keep the Santro.

But what pushes me away is the really exorbitant service costs at the moment. It at least 10-15k in service costs annually. And it doesn't give me anything more than 10.5 km to the liter in city driving conditions. A new car, especially a Honda will be much cheaper and easier to maintain right from the start.

Argh. What a dilemma to be in.
Old 15th May 2012, 17:34   #477
BHPian

Quote:
That's certainly worth considering.

My windscreen is scratched and while driving at night, the light gets scattered all over the place and it completely blinds me. I avoid taking my Santro for night drives because I can barely see anything out of my scratched windscreen. Not sure how much a new windscreen is. I'm sure it will be around 10k.

My tyres are due for replacement. That will set me back by another 10k I suppose.

Suspension needs some work. Not sure how much that would cost but I don't think it's going to be cheap.
Santro windshield costs 5.6K, everything included, at Windshield experts, Dickenson Road; enquired on 12-May-12. Same thing at ASC costs 7K, and they needed 2 days to do the job. Windshield experts said they'd do it in 45 min.

Rear damper replacement was around 1.5K, 3 years back.
black_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 17:58   #478
BHPian

Excellent thread!!! This is what I'm scraching my head always now-a-days. A little bit detailed story.

I have a Ford Fiesta ZXI TDCi 2006 Feb model which is completed 70K as of now. I bought this car from my close relative for 3.4 lacs on April 2010 at 43K ODO. So far i've spent nearly 1 lac for my car (repairs and add-ons). And i recently changed the tyres Michelin XM1+ 185/65 R14 as well.

Now, I'm under big confusion is that my car reached 70k odo and it may start giving new problems frequently. So it's better sell this car and buy a new one or keep this for while to spend only repair and fuel charges. If i keep my old car, my only spending are
1.Fuel charges (50 Kms per day) (Rs.2500)
2.Unexpected repair charges (Min 10000)
3.Unexpected replacement charges
4.Uncertainty

If i buy new car, I need to pay
1.Loan EMI
2.Fuel charges
3.Hassle free ownership.
4. Extra careful being a new car

Yup, sorry for such a long post. This is what my confusion and i recently checked Ertiga and Linea. Both dealers willing to take my car for 3-3.5 lacs.

I'm really looking for your valuable suggestions.
Old 15th May 2012, 20:44   #479
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Suhas feel you have overestimated on all the three repair aspects on the safer side but you should be through for about 30K as suggested by Honeybee as well.

Am sure if you wish you can manage to hold on to the Santro for another year and then look for the Brio a year later but Honda's (especially the well priced ones - not the jazz and crv) do not depricate much in a years time. The problem with cars with a reliability reputation (like those from Toyota and Honda is that they don't really come to the resale market in large numbers in the first 2 years and even when they do the price drop is not significant enough.) If honda is not able to meet the demand for brio's then the price in resale market will not drop enought to justify it. But yes simply saving from now in a dedicated account to pick up a car a year later will surely go a long way towards sweetening the deal. Also interest rates are overall expected to be lower in another years time as presently they are quite close to a major high.

So on one side as in most cases finances in general are always better a year later but certain cars are just not that much better a deal in preowned form. So feel that Brio is not likely to be a great preowned car in terms of price due to depreciation but there could be many other cars that would make for a great deal when preowned.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 00:41   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
I have a Ford Fiesta ZXI TDCi 2006 Feb model which is completed 70K as of now. I bought this car from my close relative for 3.4 lacs on April 2010 at 43K ODO. So far i've spent nearly 1 lac for my car (repairs and add-ons). And i recently changed the tyres Michelin XM1+ 185/65 R14 as well.

Now, I'm under big confusion is that my car reached 70k odo and it may start giving new problems frequently. So it's better sell this car and buy a new one or keep this for while to spend only repair and fuel charges. If i keep my old car, my only spending are
1.Fuel charges (50 Kms per day) (Rs.2500)
2.Unexpected repair charges (Min 10000)
3.Unexpected replacement charges
4.Uncertainty

If i buy new car, I need to pay
1.Loan EMI
2.Fuel charges
3.Hassle free ownership.
4. Extra careful being a new car
Modern cars, unless badly abused or badly maintained should not give you major issues at 70K. Assuming a large part of the 100,000 you spent was on add-on's, the financially cheaper option is to keep the current car. In addition, there are no monthly EMI's which helps a great deal. Your current car is completely paid off.

Also, the money you save on monthly EMI's, depreciation etc, will more than cover your possible maintenance charges due to the age and lack of warranty.
pganapathy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks