Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2015, 12:50   #706
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Personally I have no reason to upgrade further right now and given the condition of this car, it can go on happily for another 3 - 4 years...
If the Yeti is running good and niggle free then I see no reason to swap it for any other car.

With not much usage I don't think it is better to invest and get a new one and keep it idle as your usage is sparing.

Save the money for now and get the car you love at a later stage as many options would be available.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 15:00   #707
BANNED

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Quote:
How long should I hang on to the Yeti for? Shall I consider at least another 3 years? Or is it worth considering hanging on to it for longer?

Or are there any contrary points of view which say that I should consider an upgrade?

Personally I have no reason to upgrade further right now and given the condition of this car, it can go on happily for another 3 - 4 years...
The only reason one would advise you to get another car is the VAG reliability factor and long term service costs. However if the car is running fine then I'd suggest sticking with it. The Yeti would be a very hard car to find a suitable upgrade from considering there is nothing in the market currently that competes with it and things are only getting more expensive. Keep it, it is a gem of a car
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 15:05   #708
BANNED

Quote:
Advice requested.
It has hardly done 32000 Kms in all this time because Im hardly here
Personally I have no reason to upgrade further right now
Dear shankar.balan,
You don't really need an advice. ' Personally I have no reason to upgrade right now' ! What options have you if a new SUV have to full fill all needs that the Yeti does? An X3, Q5 or a Volvo, but does they offer that much for your kind of use other than snob value? Nope, Yeti is a very capable machine and if I were you I would keep it for another election term, provided it's reliable. But if you have no dependents and you are really well off, then there is no reason to live with Yeti. The bank balance/ assets you leave behind is the time you wasted working, isn't it? To quote your words '' Also remember that property investments are such, that they invariably benefit the "next gen" rather than the chap who sweated blood to buy it! ''

Regards,
The Rationalist.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 16:15   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Advice requested.
Or are there any contrary points of view which say that I should consider an upgrade?
The only downside to owning it for a further 3 years is, a drop in the resale value. I'm sure the Yeti must not be commanding a tenable resale value anywhere. I hear about Toyota launching the Rush in December / January. That, could be a worthy replacement to the Yeti?
Old 15th November 2015, 16:42   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Advice requested.
My Yeti is now 4 years old.
It has hardly done 32000 Kms in all this time because Im hardly here and in any case, I hardly do highway drives except very occasionally. So the predominant usage is inside the city - normal home-office commute only.
I like it very much and it ticks all my boxes as a daily drive vehicle. Plus as a family of two, we have only one car.

How long should I hang on to the Yeti for? Shall I consider at least another 3 years? Or is it worth considering hanging on to it for longer?

Other than the rational economic reasons given by the members above, another reason to not change your car right now is the lack of a suitable replacement for the Yeti right now. 3 years down the line though, I expect VW fgroup,Renault,Fiat-Jeep,Suzuki,Toyota,Nexa,Honda to launch more exciting cars as the C and D segments merge together and SUVs/MUVs/Vans gain more acceptability among the public.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 10:11   #711
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My Yeti is now 4 years old.
It has hardly done 32000 Kms in all this time because Im hardly here and in any case, I hardly do highway drives except very occasionally.
If I was in your place, I'd hold the Yeti till the 9 - 10 year mark. Reasons:

1. You love the Yeti and its practicality. It's very obvious through your posts.

2. At 32,000 kms, she is still a virgin. Plus, because you have the MT, there are no DSG woes either.

3. There's nothing else like it in the market today.

4. The resale value sucks.

If you get bored of it at the 5 year mark, spice things up with a remap, better rims + tyres, an upgraded ICE etc. You'll have a more enjoyable car at a fraction of the cost of a new one.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 13:36   #712
BHPian

I'm in a similar dilemma, actually even more so since my Palio 1.6 is about 8 years old. The car has done about 70k so far and has had no problems with regards to the engine etc. The only problem that I see now is that the front suspensions and maybe the steering rack need work now.

I don't use the car regularly now and it is used by my wife for a 15 min drive to her office everyday. Should I spend the 20-30k required to get the suspensions etc fixed or sell it and get a new AT car since wifey would anyway prefer an AT.

Is there still a demand among enthusiasts for the Palio 1.6?
Old 17th November 2015, 21:24   #713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If I was in your place, I'd hold the Yeti till the 9 - 10 year mark. Reasons:

1. You love the Yeti and its practicality. It's very obvious through your posts.

2. At 32,000 kms, she is still a virgin. Plus, because you have the MT, there are no DSG woes either.

3. There's nothing else like it in the market today.

4. The resale value sucks.

If you get bored of it at the 5 year mark, spice things up with a remap, better rims + tyres, an upgraded ICE etc. You'll have a more enjoyable car at a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Thanks mate - also thanks to drsingh, a4 anurag, the rationalist and Ishaanian and Swapnil.

That's pretty much what I had in my mind. You've just articulated it very well indeed.

I will keep this vehicle for a while longer and see...

I do love it - it is absolutely solid, practical and has served me nicely so far.

I really don't need to upgrade right now and go into one more EMI and so on...

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th November 2015 at 21:26.
shankar.balan is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 22:27   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
I'm in a similar dilemma, actually even more so since my Palio 1.6 is about 8 years old. The car has done about 70k so far and has had no problems with regards to the engine etc. The only problem that I see now is that the front suspensions and maybe the steering rack need work now.

I don't use the car regularly now and it is used by my wife for a 15 min drive to her office everyday. Should I spend the 20-30k required to get the suspensions etc fixed or sell it and get a new AT car since wifey would anyway prefer an AT.

Is there still a demand among enthusiasts for the Palio 1.6?
You have already done 70000 km. If you continue with the car for another 2-3 years, consider that you will need to spend on the drive shafts, wheel bearings, clutch, battery and tyres besides the suspension and steering rack. Have an estimate of these costs and then decide.

IMO, it is better to sell it because it is already not a common car seen on the road. In future, it will be even more difficult to sell it. And after spending good amount on maintenance in the next 2-3 years, you will still get the same resale value after 2-3 years.
Old 18th November 2015, 09:44   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Hi Guys,

Comments appreciated.
Quote:
3 years is too early. The EcoSport is heavier and has a bigger engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Figo's suspension is more plush for sure.

Ideal would be to keep the car as long as possible if you can get over that itch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Well, I am one of the people who just cannot get over the itch.

If it is just about an upgrade, may be look at something that gives you more visible advantages over the figo.
Thank you all for your points, after much deliberation I dropped the new car plan and went in for a remap. So looks like I am set till 1.5L kilometers ( I hope)

Detailed here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-code-6-a.html
batterylow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 10:18   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I do love it - it is absolutely solid, practical and has served me nicely so far.

I really don't need to upgrade right now and go into one more EMI and so on...

Based on my inferences of your preferences and requirements of your ride (which is currently satisfied perfectly by the Yeti) from your various posts, to me the car than can tempt you to upgrade would be the VW Tiguan which i think is coming sometime next year (or maybe 2017).

So I think you can rest easy till then.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 13:33   #717
BHPian

Had gone through 48 pages of this thread and This thread is an eye opener and I regret not having gone through it in 2012 when I made a blunder.

Had a 2006 Palio stile 1.2, BY 2011, petrol prices were moving North, planned to install LPG kit, spent 24K on a sequential kit. The engine was not resposive to the change over as the switch over from petrol to LPG didn't happen, went to the LPG dealer but couldn't get a resolution. Have seen a couple of Palios running fine on LPG. This conked one of the cylinders and the quote from TMIL was 35K. Having to spend 35K on top of 24K (LPG Kit), I decided to change the car, infact downgraded, a stupid move, bought a new EON ERA + LPG

Palio Resale: 1.2 Lacs
Eon Cost: 3.8 Lacs
Net spend: 3.8 - 1.2 = 2.6 Lacs (not on loan, from cash reserves)

Now had I done a reality check, I would have probably retained the Palio till now, it would have done 106K KMs (74K on Palio when sold + 32K done on Eon thus far) & would have incurred standard expensitures. This would have been a perfect time for an upgrade.

What would have changed?

For saving on petrol cost I had spent 24K on the kit, I would have saved this.

Even after that blunder, had I spent 35K for the repair, I would have saved the 2.6 lacs paid in cash for Eon (would have had a bigger, better car)

Imagine the 2.6 lacs + 24K invested in an FD say @ 8.25% PA in 2012, the 2.84 lacs would have become 3.60 Lacs in 2015. Mind you this is a very conservative investment, this return can go up with other options like MF.

If i sell my Palio now, say @ 0.50 K, 3.6 + 0.5 = 4.10 Lacs

Add another 2 Lacs, I can't imagine what car I would have upgraded to, a lateral upgrade at that,

the following thread rubs salt to the wound.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...-car-less.html

Request people who are in 3rd, 4th, 5th year of ownership to read this thread fully (every page) and I'm sure you'll be richer.

This can be included in Warren Buffett's quotes for success (making money)

Thanks GTO for this amazing thread, infact have saved by restricting my urge to upgrade now, will try to retain the Eon for some more years

BTW where do you get these phrases ;-)
Quote:
Getting rid of your car because of a worn out clutch & steering is like selling your house because of a water leakage
Quote:
Selling a car because of a rusted cross member & bad clutch is like divorcing your wife because she fractured her hand
Quote:
Out of fear of repair, if you exchange your old car for a new one, it's like spending 100 bucks to save 20.
Had made a good decision of holding onto my Samsung S3 for the last 3 years and I intend to keep it until it crashes down. Even after that, I've inquired the mother board cost + soft upgrade = Rs. 4750, I spend this amount and Bingo, I will have a brand new S3 and continue using it till I get bored.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 18th November 2015 at 13:37.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 14:31   #718
BANNED

I have a Fabia 1.4 Tdi PD 2010.
The car is exactly 5 years old and running very nicely. I have avoided the A$$ and preferred the Bosch and other multibrand workshops for oil changes etc.
However, Skoda doesn't retail spare parts and aftermarket parts could be dicey!
Besides, finding parts outside Skoda is really difficult in India for the 1.4 PD variant...the markup is 50 - 75 % more than the 1.2 CR version even with Skoda. And the labour charges with Skoda are high and the process of getting the car in and out of a Skoda A$$ is cumbersome to say the least.
The car is a class act though ! Keep or sell ?
Old 19th November 2015, 06:58   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Based on my inferences of your preferences and requirements of your ride (which is currently satisfied perfectly by the Yeti) from your various posts, to me the car than can tempt you to upgrade would be the VW Tiguan which i think is coming sometime next year (or maybe 2017).

So I think you can rest easy till then.
Yes, I agree with this assessment.
If not the Tiguan, then there is nothing else right now which comes close to the Yeti at its price point, quality level and functionality level as well.
I am hoping this Yeti is a long-termer for me because right now I have no wish to upgrade and I really don't feel like going through all the rigmarole of EMI and down payment and car exchange and upgrade etc.
Another year or two I think I should just rest easy!
shankar.balan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 11:38   #720
VKM
BHPian

I too was in a dilemma regarding my Yeti: 4yrs old & 68k kms done. no niggles, no issues but since the 4yrs extended warranty was over, i was thinking if i should go in for a change. But after researching, find that there is nothing like the Yeti right now & even for the upcoming ones we have to wait till they launch & run on the roads to find out their negatives. so decided to wait for a couple of years & decide.
But still i'm frequently tempted to go in for a true blue suv right now (since Yeti has no replacement) but i keep coming back to this thread to reaffirm that i actually don't need to change unnecessarily. Thanks for this thread.
VKM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks