Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2017, 15:07   #856
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
PM me your contact details, I will put you in touch with an FNG where many pune members give their cars for servicing. He also is a close friend of ours plus passionate about cars.
A PM helps one person, a public post on the forum helps thousands . Furthermore, helping someone via PM defeats the purpose of an open community.

Please share the details on this thread itself.

Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th May 2017, 00:14   #857
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A PM helps one person, a public post on the forum helps thousands . Furthermore, helping someone via PM defeats the purpose of an open community.

Please share the details on this thread itself.

Thanks for the support & understanding

Sure. The workshop is located near sun empire, sinhgad road- Sai Car Clinic. They are coming up with one more branch in 3-4 months. Location is undecided.

You can contact Sushant Walki on 98229 99383/ 88055 29500. I have seen him work on a lot of luxury cars too. He has previously worked with BMW and Skoda service centers & has recently purchased a few scanners.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 09:40   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Also, Nissan doesn't sell parts over the counter. Few stuffs like the horn change could have easily done with FNGs, where for other stuffs, dependency with After Sales Torture is provident .
Hi,

Though Nissan India doesn't sell parts over the counter but you may look out for shops who stock OEM spares; we've one such shop in Park Circus in Kolkata who stocks original Nissan spares but he sells it at a slight premium over the mrp. Another option would be to bring back the old spares from service center and buy the same from aftermarket; I'm planning to follow this route and have brought back the old filters from the last service .

Regards,
Debrup
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:33   #859
BHPian

Civic-AT at 10 years

My Civic-AT completes 10 years today, and still feels new.

Looks like it will go on for another 10 more years
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-dsc_5035.jpg  

manim is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:45   #860
BHPian

Re: Civic-AT at 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post

Civics are build to last for ages, provided you take regular care of her. Mine is also 10+ years old, and still gives me feeling that i can use her for at least 5-7 years more
techcoze is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:49   #861
Senior - BHPian

Re: Civic-AT at 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
Civics are build to last for ages, provided you take regular care of her. Mine is also 10+ years old, and still gives me feeling that i can use her for at least 5-7 years more
Congrats guys

Those were the HONDAs we used to aspire for. Whenever I see a civic pass by it always makes heads turn. Last year while in Oz my friend picked up a 6/7 year old civic AT with almost 1L kms on odo at some $10k. Was hard to believe it had run so much. Beautiful machine it was.

I wonder if these new age built-to-cost HONDAs available in India can get anywhere close

Last edited by SoumenD : 22nd May 2017 at 11:53.
Old 20th July 2017, 18:05   #862
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Option TWO : Upgrade to a C+ segment car

• Rs. 12,50,000 : Cost of a new Honda Civic or equivalent sedan.
• Rs. 4,25,000 : Proceeds from the sale of your existing sedan used as down-payment toward the new car.
• Rs. 20,000 : Approximate EMI per month for 8.25 lacs on a 5 year term.
• Rs. 6,000 : Averaged maintenance cost per year.
• Rs. 1,20,000 : Total cost of insurance premiums for the next 5 years.
• Rs. 6,20,000 : Realistic resale of your new C+ sedan in year 2013.

Thus, if you upgrade from a C-segment sedan to a C+ segmenter, you will spend a total of Rs. 11,55,000 over the next 5 years. OR 2,31,000 per year.
GTO/Rush,
Correct me if I'm wrong but in option 2 the total money one will spend is Rs 730,000. You have also added the Rs 4,25,000 (sale of existing sedan) to the total figure.

Which brings the average annual cost to Rs 1,46,000, and not 2,31,000.

A minor correction that seems to have been missed over the last 9 years
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 18:19   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
GTO/Rush,
Correct me if I'm wrong but in option 2 the total money one will spend is Rs 730,000. You have also added the Rs 4,25,000 (sale of existing sedan) to the total figure.

Which brings the average annual cost to Rs 1,46,000, and not 2,31,000.

That 4,25,000 is being used as a down payment for new car as stated.

Hence, it's an expense and should be added.
Old 20th July 2017, 18:32   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
That 4,25,000 is being used as a down payment for new car as stated.

Hence, it's an expense and should be added.
Nopes. Look at it from a point of additional money coming out of your pocket over the 5 year period.

Option 1: Expenses:
Maintenance: 20,000 X 5 = 1,00,000
Insurance: 35,000
Depreciation hit: 4,25,000 - 1,50,000 = 2,75,000

Total: 4,10,000

Option 2:
Maintenance: 6000 X 5 = 30,000
Insurance: 1,20,000
Depreciation hit: (20,000 X 60) - 6,20,000 = 5,80,000

Total: 7,30,000

The above figure (20,000 X 60) is the payouts for loan amount for (12.5L - 4.25L). The downpayment is being substituted with part of the asset value, hence not an expense.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 20th July 2017 at 18:34.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 16:07   #865
Senior - BHPian

Landed here from this post in Jeep Compass thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I think you are right about this. What's kind of confusing is the "depreciation" aspect which can be used in accounting to offset against the income.

For a typical salaried individual,
1. There is no depreciation benefit. Both resale value and depreciation are purely notional, and only make sense when we actually sell the car.
2. In such a case, we should only consider the net cash outflow and the resale value of the car at +5 years in both options, and assume that car will be sold at +5 years in both options to arrive at net difference.

With that in mind, this is what i got:

Option ONE:
Total cash outflow = 1,35,000
1,00,000 = 20,000 x 5 (Maintenance)
35,000 (Insurance)
Resale value of car = 1,50,000

Total ownership cost = 1,35,000 = 27,000 per year
Net gain/loss after sale of car = 1,35,000 - 1,50,000 = -15,000

You end up being richer by 15,000 after 5 years. Looks weird but true based on numbers used here. What this means is that, practically the ownership cost is ZERO for a well maintained car in this age bracket.

Option TWO:
Total cash outflow = 13,50,000
30,000 = 6,000 x 5 (Maintenance)
1,20,000 (Insurance)
12,00,000 = 20,000 x 60 (EMI)
Resale value of car = 6,20,000

Total ownership cost = 13,50,000 = 2,70,000 per year
Net gain/loss after sale of car = 13,50,000 - 6,20,000 = 7,30,000

Opportunity cost:
2,70,000 - 27,000 per year
= 20,250 per month that can be invested to grow to 15L with 8.5% annual return rate.

So for same cash outflow, this is what we will have:
Option ONE: 15L cash in hand + 10 year old car with resale value of 1,50,000.
Option TWO: 5 year old car with a resale value of 6,20,000.
Net difference of 10.3L.

P.S: As the original post in this thread was 9 year old, most of the numbers may not be appropriate for current scenario. For starters, you won't get a new Civic for 12.5L .
But the important point is still valid.

P.P.S: My current car will be 8 year old in couple of months. I must say, it was quite liberating after 5 years, when i didn't have to pay the EMIs anymore.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 6th August 2017 at 16:10.
SilentEngine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 18:27   #866
BHPian

Hey folks,
I'm (infact my dad) in a dilemma. Actually with a great level of reluctance we sold our 7+ years old Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion Pack done around 1,26,000 kms to our dad's good friend. He's such a good friend that my dad said him to pay the money at his ease. But as the deal was striked amidst the traffic and due to some discrepance he heard the price a bit (infact a lac of difference) low than the said price and today he bought the cheque for the amount which he heard, then my dad said him the right price. Then he said that he may not be able to afford it. So he said that he'll return the car tomorrow.

Initially when the car was sold we decided to keep the Figo with us but now my dad's in a dilemma whether to sell the Figo or the Linea. FYI, the Figo is a 2010 model done 67,000 kms on the odo. But somehow dad again got reconnected to the Linea when he saw it today and I could see that reluctance of letting her go. So, I used my brain a bit and jutted the points in favour of the Figo and Linea :

LINEA :
THINGS IN ITS FAVOUR :
  • High-end fully loaded variant with all the safety features on offer.
  • Feature loaded with Automatic Climate Control, Steering mounted audio Controls, Microsoft Blue&ME, rear sunshade etc.
  • Cheaper to maintain than my Figo and is much more reliable than it IMO.
  • More-For-Less VFM pricing in the used car market somehow is doing the trick for my dad.
  • Those jaw-dropping timeless looks is doing the trick.
  • We were getting the same FE as in our Figo despite heavier kerb weight and power on offer.

THINGS NOT IN ITS FAVOUR :
  • Low resale for the vehicle and we were not getting the minimum resale we were expecting after putting in so much money and effort on the vehicle's upkeep. This is stopping us to part ways with it.
  • A tad too big for us to use it in the city and we need a small car for city use.
  • The car has clocked some reasonable amount of miles.

FIGO :
THINGS IN ITS FAVOUR :
  • Low-mileage w.r.t the Linea as it has only 50% of the mileage as the Linea does.
  • Lag-free engine, compact dimensions w.r.t the Linea makes it an ideal city car.
  • High resale and fast moving in the used car market if we plan to sell it. I've got quite a few nice offers which are too-good-to-resist.

THINGS NOT IN ITS FAVOUR :
  • It misses out on the safety features w.r.t the Linea.
  • Missing equipment vis-a-vis the Linea which is causing all the dilemma for us.
  • Cost of upkeep is comparably high when compared to the Linea.

I thought that jutting down all the pros and cons will do the job but this has got us even more confused. Requesting all the bhpian's to pour in your thoughts and insights on my situation.

Thanks,
Varun
Old 20th August 2017, 19:45   #867
Senior - BHPian

You're telling me a Fiat costs less to maintain than a Ford? Ford especially for the lower end Figos has quite cheap routine maintenance costs, OK parts might come expensive.

Keep the Linea - sell the Figo and spend some of the amount that you get on any repairs and upgrades Linea needs, maybe a fresh paint / detailing job, replacing faded or worn out dashboard parts / steering wheel / gearshift etc. It has next to no resale value now, and is a gem of an engine so should last you a few years more.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 03:21   #868

11 year old Getz - Keep or Swap

Hi Bhpians,

Looking forward to your advise on my dilemma on whether to keep or sell our car.

We have a 2006 Dec Hyundai Getz petrol 1.3 that has clocked about 85K on the Odo. It's almost 11 years old.
The car has served me well and is mechanically sound. It hasnt given me much trouble except for some occasional wear & tear stuff and regular maintenance.

We are in a dilemma as to whether should exchange it and get a new car, or spend money on it to keep it running in good condition for a few more years.
You could say that we have been spoilt by the Getz, so it's a bit tough to get satisfied with small cars. The only one I found which felt like an upgrade (in terms of space & comfort) was Baleno and that costs close to 7L.

Upcoming expenses that I can foresee.
[*] It's still on the original clutch. I'm surprised it lasted till now and even now it's not slipping. not sure how much more it'll go, but surely I think a clutch replacement is due in the next year or 2
[*] Suspension is pretty hard now and ride comfort is nowhere near what it used to be. If we continue using the car, a suspension overhaul with new struts/shocks is essential.
[*] Tyres (175 section) are nearing their end of life. This is the 2nd set for the car and has run about 40K already (Michelin XM1+). Really good tyres, but I think they'll probably last another 5-7K max. After that I need to get 4 new tyres.
[*] Engine vibrations are getting passed on to the body a lot more nowadays with a kind of resonance at certain engine speeds. Symptoms are indicating worn/damaged engine mounts (though I havent confirmed it with a mechanic). This is not a must-do maintenance, but it's more of a feel-good one at this point.
[*] Usual upcoming regular maintenance at 90K. BTW timing belt replacement was already done in the last service.

The good things.
[*] Fuel economy is just fine. Gives me close to 11.5-12 in the city and 14-15 on highways. Getz is genreally notorious for it's drinking habits, but mine seems to be doing just fine.
[*] No mechanical trouble. AC/all working just fine. Most of the items I listed above are regular maintenance stuff; cant blame the car. Build quality is great.No rattles/squeaks and the car has been quite reliable till now (touch wood).

Other factors playing in my mind.
[*] Spare parts costs seems to be shooting up recently at the ASS. Looks like hyundai is importing parts from korea. Thankfully havent had to replace much till now, but for any major repairs, the costs could go pretty high.
[*] Not sure if spare parts would still be available 4-5 years down the line. Being hyundai I'm hoping it would still be available, even if it costs an arm and a leg.
[*] Getz being a depreciation disaster, I probably wouldnt get much in exchage or sale now and 3-4 years down the line it would be even lesser. I have a feeling the amount I spend on it could be even more than it's resale value (but I could be wrong).

If we had no financial constraints, I would have just gone ahead with the upgrade to Baleno (at least for the feel good factor/new car feel), but we have some other expenses coming up in life, so it's gotta be head over heart here. Would rather keep the car if it makes financial sense.

Looking up to the experts for some guidance here. And also if doing these jobs outside ASS would help in reducing costs significantly. Getz having never sold in good numbers, I'm skeptical if FNGs and other workshops outside of ASS would have the parts.

Apologies for the long post, but I wanted to put things as clearly as possible.
Old 15th October 2017, 10:26   #869
Senior - BHPian

You have got your money’s worth out of the Getz and any further use is pure profit.

How much would the repairs cost - maybe a lakh including new tyres and suspension, shocks and engine mounts? And how long would the car last after the repairs, another four or five years easily from what you say.

Keep the car for as long as it lasts without repairs going up beyond a lakh, and meanwhile regularly save money in a recurring deposit or something of the sort so you can do most of your Baleno purchase out of your own funds rather than having to take out a loan or break other investments.
Old 15th October 2017, 10:54   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshekm View Post
Hi Bhpians,

Looking forward to your advise on my dilemma on whether to keep or sell our car.

We have a 2006 Dec Hyundai Getz petrol 1.3 that has clocked about 85K on the Odo. It's almost 11 years old.
The car has served me well and is mechanically sound. It hasnt given me much trouble except for some occasional wear & tear stuff and regular maintenance.

If we had no financial constraints, I would have just gone ahead with the upgrade to Baleno (at least for the feel good factor/new car feel), but we have some other expenses coming up in life, so it's gotta be head over heart here. Would rather keep the car if it makes financial sense.

Apologies for the long post, but I wanted to put things as clearly as possible.
Its a no brainer actually.

Even if you kept the car for 4 more years, the period in which it would defenitely serve you well, the cost comparison of a new car purchase vis a vis this car being retained is pretty lopsided.

The EMI of a new car itself would be 15 to 20 k, depending upon the loan term. You think you would incur so much costs in repairs/ maintenance? No way.

Do, I would advise you to ditch the urge for an upgrade, make good use of a good car that you already have, and spend the money on more important things in life instead.

Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks