Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2019, 09:14   #976
Team-BHP Support

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

I agree with what's been said by the others earlier. Spend the 35k towards the maintenance and continue using the Jetta. At this point in time it makes complete sense to retain it, as you have already spent on getting it to daily running condition.
benbsb29 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 10:21   #977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Does it make financial and practical sense to let go of the car now?
A few questions:

1. Why did you invest in a remap when you hardly exceed 100kmph even on the best of roads?

2. Have you found out the accuracy of the fault diagnosis for yourself or are you depending on the SA alone? ( If you say the rims were damaged then the cost of replacing alloys along with wheel bearing, mounts, brake pads should exceed the figure quoted.)

3. A humming noise can happen on account of many reasons including a badly worn tyre (tyres that have a feathered wear pattern or are a result of bad shocks / alignment etc). This can be wrongly attributed to rims - if the rims were damaged there would be some tyre damage too - was that there?

On the gearbox mounts - my suggestion (if you've not done anything yet) is to not replace the mounts. They do not create a humming noise and as you've indicated hardly ever go wrong and unless you've noticed severe vibrations (unlikely in a car that does not exceed 4000rpm) it is best to tell the SA to not to do anything with the mounts.

On replacing the car:

You've had it for 4.5 years and run 65000kms and it has served you well. Don't grudge this expense as it is relatively minor when you consider a 4.5 year 65,000 km run especially, as others have said, you will have to fork out more money for a new car. So it doesn't serve the purpose of saving money either.

Also remember that the depreciation loss in the first year for a new car can be quite high and a lot more than 35000.

Yes, there is a risk that comes with Germans but you've already bitten the bullet and bought a German and you can easily live with her for quite a few years more considering what she gives you back in return.

I'd say give her one more chance and if there is another similar large bill that makes you uncomfortable you could take a call at that point in time.

Last edited by AMG Power : 5th June 2019 at 10:23.
AMG Power is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 19:22   #978
NTO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Hello everyone.
I was thinking of exchanging with a used Civic automatic (Primary reason is lack of Airbags and ABS in the VDi model, did not realize the importance during purchase). I am not very particular about the petrol bills as my running is going to be a maximum of 10000 km/year. Is it a good decision to laterally upgrade to a Civic (found some tempting deals under 5 lakhs) or should I continue with the SX4?
A used Civic will definitely be a good upgrade to a C segment sedan. While buying a used Civic AT please follow the following things:

1. Take it to a Honda service centre and get the complete service record of the car.
2. Honda can also inspect the car and give you the current condition. They will charge you 1600+GST for this. This will be the best investment you can ever make.
3. The possible expense on a used civic could be
a. Engine bed replacement - Rs. 8500 + labour.
b. Suspension and related components. Should set you back by 30K in all.
c. Disc rotors and brake pads change. Should set you back by 20K.

Other than this, you might want to spend on a Head unit upgrade. This depends on how much you are willing to spend. Limit tends to infinity

Other than that, My civic's 55K kms service costed my 6K inclusive of everything. the car has been extremely reliable. I have done close to 8K kms in 4 months since I bought the car when it had 50K kms on the odo. You can check my ownership thread for further information. Click to read (My pre-worshipped Honda Civic Automatic – A dream comes true)

I have been driving 40 Kms in chennai's traffic everyday and the car has been so easy. It feels like a heaven in disguise. And in most parts of the city the road is good and I have never scraped the underbelly of my car even under full load (Touch wood!). Just go easy on the speed humps. The car returns anywhere between 9 - 10 kmpl in the city and 15 - 17 kmpl on the highways. The average for the past 8K kms has been 10.05 Kmpl.

No complaints whatsoever from my 85 years old grandfather and ~80 years old grandmother on ingress and egress, as of yet. If you like a civic, go ahead and buy it. You wont go wrong.

Last edited by NTO : 8th July 2019 at 19:27. Reason: Added a few additional information
NTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 16:02   #979
BHPian

Re: Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India - 1 lakh kms update

Hi,

Do not mean to hijack the thread. However, I feel this is where I will get the best answer.

Recently, my Chevrolet Sail Petrol had a major incident. I am not good with car terminologies, but if I am not wrong, the drive shaft broke and went through my gearbox, damaging the gearbox casing, some of the gears and the crank sensor. I have no clue how it happened, but the mechanic suggested it was years of misalignment / unusual wear which finally gave way.

Well, the reason aside, I was faced with the dilemma of how to get it fixed. One was to get a new gearbox, which was way too expensive. I would spend close to a lakh. The second was to source gearboxes from accident vehicles, and remove parts which could be used. Which is still expensive, but something that I can afford.

While, my mechanic is now in the process of sourcing. I have a fear that even after everything is fixed, this issue might crop up in the future. I have already spent so much on the vehicle and I am wondering whether it is more sensible to just cut my losses and sell the vehicle as soon as it is ready. It is a 2013 model and would fetch me around 1.6 lakhs hopefully. In just the past month I would have spent close to 70K fixing issues with the vehicle.
Old 9th July 2019, 21:12   #980
BHPian

Re: Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India - 1 lakh kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojames9 View Post

I am wondering whether it is more sensible to just cut my losses and sell the vehicle as soon as it is ready...
Dear Lobo, it will be prudent to cut your losses and sell the vehicle. Not sure if it is worth investing in the repairs. If the vehicle is sold as is as a parts car, what will be the price?

You say fixing the vehicle will fetch 1.6 lakhs but my hunch here is no one will be purchasing a car which has no manufacturer support, plus a chevy, no way.

Sorry to be so frank but if I were in your shoes, I would not have spent the 70K as well on repairs.

Regards
Nikhil
nsbhagwat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 12:42   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
A used Civic will definitely be a good upgrade to a C segment sedan. If you like a civic, go ahead and buy it. You wont go wrong.
Thanks a lot NTO for the information. I will definitely go through your thread before going ahead with the purchase. Taking the Civic to a Honda Service Center should be my priority as mentioned by all the previous replies to my query. The maintenance costs are also not exorbitant considering the price of the car when new. Also are there any major differences between the S and V models because I wasn't able to find any as such?
adi.mariner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 09:25   #982
BHPian

Hello BHPians, My father in the similar dilemma as the name of the Thread is - Keep/ Upgrade/ Swap. Will appreciate your diverse opinions to take an informed decision !

Brief history :

- My father has been working at Visakhapatnam for the past 36 years. He is retiring in another 6 months and moving back to Chennai, our hometown !
- He has owned 3 cars as below in the 36 Year period :

1) A 3rd hand Ambassador - (1993 to 2003)
2) A 2nd hand Maruti 800 - (2003 to 2011)
3) New Swift ZDI - (2011 - Present)

The lovely Swift 2011 ZDi :

- 75000 Kms run
- Pristine Condition with no mechanical failure as of data
- Regularly serviced at Maruti authorized service center
- In stock condition with no additional wiring or accessories
- Has dual Airbags and ABS with EBD
- No rattling of body panels
- Clutch plate changed at 40000 KM
- Upgraded to Michelin XM2 tyres at 45000 KM

Note : My dad loves maintaining the products until the end of their life !

Factors to consider :

- All the hassles of transferring the RC to another State
- Considering it will reach a lakh kilometers in a couple of years, there could a fat bill during the One Lakh service interval
- Once he moves to Chennai it will be strictly City driving with usage of 500 to 700 kms a month

Options :

A - Keep the Swift and continue loving it
B - Sell at an estimated 2.7 - 3 Lakhs, spend another 3 lakhs and buy a new decent city car - Wagon R or Ignis within a budget of 5.5 Lakhs

Last edited by Sk8r : 17th September 2019 at 09:35. Reason: Typo
Old 17th September 2019, 09:50   #983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Hello BHPians, My father in the similar dilemma as the name of the Thread is - Keep/ Upgrade/ Swap. Will appreciate your diverse opinions to take an informed decision !
B - Sell at an estimated 2.7 - 3 Lakhs, spend another 3 lakhs and buy a new decent city car - Wagon R or Ignis within a budget of 5.5 Lakhs
Sell it and buy another good used car in that 5-6 lakh budget, you'll get a much more decent car than an Ignis or WagonR that way, especially as you have already bought used cars in the past. Let me know, I only buy used and can direct your father to some reliable dealers or look around among Chennai BHPians to see if they or their acquaintances are selling something.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 10:29   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Sell it and buy another good used car in that 5-6
Let me know, I only buy used and can direct your father to some reliable dealers or look around among Chennai BHPians to see if they or their acquaintances are selling something.
Definitely, Thank you!
I will reach out to you at the right time. I have read your threads on the Scorpio and Global Fiesta and found it to be encouraging to purchase used cars. Let's see how things shape out in the near future
Old 17th September 2019, 11:35   #985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A - Keep the Swift and continue loving it
I would recommend to go always with a new car if that is not affecting your budget. But if you can get a used one with complete history from a reliable source with less kilometers driven, it will be a good choice too. So sell the old car and make your choice after that.
I agree with your concern of inter state transfer of the car. I have been through all that and would refrain myself from such an act ever again

Last edited by rajivtelang : 17th September 2019 at 11:37.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 11:50   #986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I would recommend to go always with a new car if that is not affecting your budget. But if you can get a used one with complete history from a reliable source with less kilometers driven, it will be a good choice too. So sell the old car and make your choice after that.
I agree with your concern of inter state transfer of the car. I have been through all that and would refrain myself from such an act ever again
There are Ford corporate cars that are auctioned after three years, and most find their way into the local used car market.

And some dealers are around that charge higher prices but supply clean cars with service history.
Old 17th September 2019, 18:01   #987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Once he moves to Chennai it will be strictly City driving with usage of 500 to 700 kms a month
If you're 100% sure about this point, I'd suggest putting up the Swift for sale now. Wait for a genuine buyer and sell it by the time your dad retires.

In Chennai, you can either look for 2-3 year old cars put on sale directly by their owners or go for a brand new hatchback. Hyundai Grand i10 and Tata Tiago are decent city cars. WagonR, Santro and the like would be a clear downgrade from your existing car. No point in spending another 3 lakhs for a WagonR. Better save some bucks and go for a higher segment used car.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 21:58   #988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
If you're 100% sure about this point, I'd suggest putting up the Swift for sale now. Wait for a genuine buyer and sell it by the time your dad retires.

In Chennai, you can either look for 2-3 year old cars put on sale directly by their owners or go for a brand new hatchback. Hyundai Grand i10 and Tata Tiago are decent city cars. WagonR, Santro and the like would be a clear downgrade from your existing car. No point in spending another 3 lakhs for a WagonR. Better save some bucks and go for a higher segment used car.
Agree. From my side a no no no for a maruti car atleast in compact segment. Go with Hyundai or Tata. I have driven all three brands and most happy with Tata as of today. Hyundai too is great but I am not happy with their seat ergonomics. They hurt your back easily. Rather Tata is solid in all areas. Maruti after their weight loss program is just tin box and not safe even for city. In case of an accident it is not safe for your pocket and perhaps life at city speeds but certainly not safe for your life at highway speeds. Please read through all safety rating data before buying any brand and check on supported features.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 06:50   #989
Distinguished - BHPian

Dilemma - to hold 95k run 2015 Maruti Ciaz ZDI or To buy a new Skoda Rapid

Hello BHPians,

I have a beautifully maintained, absolutely reliable, comfortable and frugal 95,000 km run 2015 Maruti Ciaz ZDI (non SHVS).

Ownership thread :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...-ciaz-zdi.html

ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-img_20190831_121745_036.jpg

I usually replace cars at the 3-4year, 60-80k km mark. After joining Team-BHP, that did change and I replaced my Safari Dicor only after 6 years and 1.4 lakh km for a Storme Varicor 400 last year.

Though I completely love the Ciaz, have no complaints about it, the itch to buy a new car has always been there since a few months.

I have started to fall in love with low slung sedans and hence the next car had to be a C2 sedan (I would love an Octavia, but it is way out of my budget).

My usage : 100-120 km a day.

I did test drive EcoSport (cramped and felt like a downgrade from C2 not in quality but in utility wise, but solid build, engine and dynamics ) and S-Cross (solid car but slower than my Ciaz) and the new Ciaz DDIS 225 (not really a fan of that new 6 speed MT and I want to buy something safer).

So naturally my choice were: Volkswagen Vento and Skoda Rapid.

Both cars are owned by my brothers and I totally loved driving them. Vento felt a bit dated while Rapid with its mini Octavia facia looks fab. Even ride quality and NVH seems better in the Skoda and I don't like the dash symmetry of the Vento, nor the price premium over the Skoda.

I have 2 choices:

1. Sell away Ciaz for a good 6.5 lakhs and buy the Rapid Monte Carlo (15.6 lakh OTR for MT diesel) if I can bring down the OTR by 2 lakhs (raining discounts I hear). Or settle with Ambition variant in that amazing carbon steel/blue/red shade.

Name:  SkodaRapidSteelColorCarbonSteelColor.png
Views: 1469
Size:  179.1 KB

ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-skodarapidredcolorflashredcolor.jpg

ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-skodarapidbluecolorsilkbluecolor.jpg

2. Retain the Ciaz, use it for 2 more years (1.5 lakh km) and then upgrade to 2021 Rapid.

I am at 50-50 bad case of confusion, and I know BS6 will make cars pricey and I will have to spend a lot for new cars in future . I love that 1.5 TDi and the interior quality of current rapid. The problem is, I also love my Ciaz equally. Budget up to 13 lakhs OTR isn't an issue, and won't be going for EMI.

Going to test drive Rapid Monte Carlo today and negotiate discounts. Kindly share your suggestions on this.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th September 2019 at 17:35. Reason: Typos fixed. Post moved to existing thread.
Old 18th September 2019, 19:08   #990
Distinguished - BHPian

Update :

Went to Skoda dealer. Red and silky blue is not available in any variants except Montecarlo and Onyx respectively.

That is a big bummer. I was fixed on red ambition variant. Discounts are good though.

2.05 lakhs on ambition. Mere 75k on onyx and 50k on montecarlo.

Dsg wasn't to my expectation. Sport mode was OK.

Only colours are beige, carbon steel, silver and white.

1.5 Ambition TDI - 11.8 lakhs otr

A vfm package!

My ciaz was quoted 5.75 lakhs citing high mileage on odo and no exchange bonus whatsoever. :(

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 18th September 2019 at 19:17.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed