Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Old 11th November 2021, 14:04   #1126

Default Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
^^+1 to the idea of renting as Suresh sir has suggested.

Few questions:

1) Which segment are you planning to upgrade to? What are the cars in consideration?

2) What is your estimated annual running?
I want to upgrade to compact SUV segment (10 - 15 lakhs). Don't want to again go for a hatch. Primary requirements are safety (5 star rating), space and a peppy engine (thats the best thing i still like about my old alto k10) along with the usual gizmos these days.

Annual running would be max 6 to 7 k.

Renting is a good idea and I have tried it in the past. Somehow not a big fan of it but yes, if i decide to keep the alto - this seems to be the most feasible and practical approach.
Old 11th November 2021, 15:58   #1127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz2011 View Post
I want to upgrade to compact SUV segment (10 - 15 lakhs).
That's a decent budget for an upgrade. If you have the dough, I think you should take the plunge and go for Nexon, XUV300 or something of that sort. 10 years is a long enough time to stick to one car (which is too basic to begin with). Make sure you find a direct buyer for your K10 before moving on.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 17:08   #1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
That's a decent budget for an upgrade. If you have the dough, I think you should take the plunge and go for Nexon, XUV300 or something of that sort. 10 years is a long enough time to stick to one car (which is too basic to begin with). Make sure you find a direct buyer for your K10 before moving on.
Since you mentioned, there is another story to selling the car to a direct buyer. I bought the car in pune so its got a MH registration and within couple of years shifted to Bangalore. I closed the loan soon but was too lazy to contact bank and remove hypothecation etc. Now if i want to sell it, not sure whether it would be easy to sell directly to a buyer in Bangalore, the car having MH registration and RC still mentions hypothecated to sbi
topaz2011 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 12:46   #1129
BHPian

Hi All - I have a similar dilemma as shared by many others on this thread.

I bought my E90 BMW 320d in Sep 2010 & it has clocked 64,000 km to date. I recently spent 95k replacing the front suspension, EGR valve & got the annual service done. The car is therefore in great condition (externally & internally too). This is the highest spend in a single instance even after all these years. The car has very low usage within the city now (<3000 km every month), as most meetings are held online.

I am happy with my current car as of now, but the newer cars have many more features. I also had the benefit of a zero-dep policy for the last 11 years, which was not available when I renewed my insurance recently. Lastly, I am concerned that the price which I might get for my car (hopefully 8~9 lacs) might plummet even further as it is already 11+ years old.

Saw some BMW 520d's (2017/2018) with dealers in Mumbai who are quoting 38~43 lacs. This will be a big jump in terms of outflow as I would need to dish out another 30~34 lacs from my pocket now.

An alternate option is to look at a new sedan/SUV in the 30~35 lac bracket. Considering the Jeep Compass or Skoda Octavia (or maybe stretch to the Superb)

Is it worth upgrading to a newer car OR is it better to keep my current car, which still looks very good (from every angle)?

Please advise :-)
keen.to.know is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 15:08   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen.to.know View Post

Is it worth upgrading to a newer car OR is it better to keep my current car, which still looks very good (from every angle)?

Please advise :-)
I think you should keep your 11 year old car. I presume you bought it new (or almost new in 2010). Since you have made all the necessary maintenance for a 11 year old car, being a diesel BMW which has run only 64000km is only 1/3rd or even 1/4th of it's useful life. I shared my experience of buying and owning a used 2006 e90 318d here (Used Luxury Cars might be cheap to buy, but they are expensive to maintain! Any solutions?) which might come in handy for you as you can expect what things might need change over the longer period/higher kms.

Btw, drive your BMW a bit more on highways for longer distances to keep the DPF happy as your current usage seems far less than a typical diesel car. I have wrote about the conditions when a diesel BMW e90 regenerates here (Diesel DPF clogging due to short city commutes)

And 11 year old e90 is still a fun and fantastic car to drive. Why bother spending too much on cars? Invest the money you are willing to shell out and you will thank me later
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 05:33   #1131
BHPian

Hi everyone, not sure if this is the right thread for my query (since my car's age is 3x compared to the thread title ).

Anyways, we own a 2005 Maruti Suzuki Baleno which has been with us since 2009 but run only 64000 kilometers. Peach of a vehicle, always taken care of and mostly used for highway trips since the last 6 years (headlights were upgraded to HIDs for this sole reason) and in the city whenever I am back home for the holidays.
This year has been different, he turned 15 and needed re-registration which we got done without much hassle but we have lost out on the comprehensive insurance chosen till now. As such, the family is worried that this is a sign that the Baleno's time has come to be let go.

I am in two minds now whether to let go of him or keep him for the foreseeable future. A couple of points to note:
  1. Sister uses the car in my absence, but is wary of the car's low stance till date and prefers a taller vehicle
  2. Due to the WFH conditions we are living in, almost everyone in the street has a car which is parked outside and taking out the car is a major PITA (This the primary reason my mom wants to let go of him)
I am not worried about resale value but am worried about safety (mind, this is a car from the 2000s without airbags or even ABS).
If I want to replace him, my choices as of now are either a 2014-16 VW Jetta (just for the Independent Rear Suspension) or a similar vintage Maruti Suzuki S-Cross (DDiS 320 only ).
But due to the parking condition, not even sure if we can even enjoy our replacement steed.

TBHPians please chime in.
Old 12th January 2022, 16:16   #1132
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkashwa View Post
Hi everyone, not sure if this is the right thread for my query (since my car's age is 3x compared to the thread title ).

Anyways, we own a 2005 Maruti Suzuki Baleno which has been with us since 2009 but run only 64000 kilometers. Peach of a vehicle, always taken care of and mostly used for highway trips since the last 6 years (headlights were upgraded to HIDs for this sole reason) and in the city whenever I am back home for the holidays.
This year has been different, he turned 15 and needed re-registration which we got done without much hassle but we have lost out on the comprehensive insurance chosen till now. As such, the family is worried that this is a sign that the Baleno's time has come to be let go.

I am in two minds now whether to let go of him or keep him for the foreseeable future. A couple of points to note:
  1. Sister uses the car in my absence, but is wary of the car's low stance till date and prefers a taller vehicle
  2. Due to the WFH conditions we are living in, almost everyone in the street has a car which is parked outside and taking out the car is a major PITA (This the primary reason my mom wants to let go of him)
I am not worried about resale value but am worried about safety (mind, this is a car from the 2000s without airbags or even ABS).
If I want to replace him, my choices as of now are either a 2014-16 VW Jetta (just for the Independent Rear Suspension) or a similar vintage Maruti Suzuki S-Cross (DDiS 320 only ).
But due to the parking condition, not even sure if we can even enjoy our replacement steed.

TBHPians please chime in.
Itís a no brainer honestly, sell it for the best price you get and pick up a Ď14-Ď16 Jetta if thatís what you want, itís a competent vehicle and much safer than the old Baleno sedan as you have rightly mentioned. Jetta being a compact car wonít cause issues be it tight parking or other family members driving it. Do have it thoroughly checked out by a VW dealer and your trusted mechanic before you put the money down. Cheers.

Most Viewed