Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2021, 12:35   #1066
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 Elite Asta beater replacement

It has only done 26k kms, the usage is limited to merely 3-5 Km daily, there are no issues with it, it has been maintained well, you have a new Ford for spirited driving And it is only 5 years old. At this point, it also must have taken a massive depreciation hit. Also consider the fact that today, if you want to buy a new i20 top spec, you'll have to spend around 9-10 lakhs. I really don't see any reason to replace it. [Other than a sensation called 'New car itch']
Cars nowadays are built very well. With such low running, I am sure this car can serve you reliably for years to come.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 13:34   #1067
BHPian

The car has a very low mileage for its age and if it doesn't have any major issues, you can keep it for a few more years and get some kms out of it. I wouldn't replace it if I was in your position. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
OctYFAN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 00:51   #1068
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest to keep it for at least 5 more years. Like you said it's a good car, well maintained and sparingly used. So its time to enjoy the benefits of your efforts and money. Not let anyone else enjoy it

A replacement car would IMHO be a waste of money.

That being said if you want to just drive something new, try the Altroz(TC or NA is your call) or even the Tiago if you want to go smaller, since you wanted a beater car.

There are many more like the Swift, Baleno etc. in hatches and CSUVs as well. But first you have to decide to keep the car or not.
Old 16th February 2021, 01:20   #1069

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
Have seen this thread a lot of time but still when it comes to take that decision you are swayed by the two. The heart and the mind!

I have a 2014 Ritz VDI done 49k km's on ODO.
Personal life situation have changed over the years. With two kids I find the car unsafe otherwise a well maintained car.

For my next purchase I had decided not to go for sub 4 meter again.

Now here is the deal, I posted on another thread too but that was more oh the requirements I had.

I really feel the need to upgrade but should I?
For the next car I have a budget of 12Lakh OTR

As for my requirement - I would like to get a compact SUV (above 4 meters) with all the bells and whistles.

Financial planning - So for my current car I have a potential buyer of about 4 lakhs. Adding two from my pocket and take a 6 lakh loan that will equate to 12k / monthly emi.

For the next car I am sure to keep it for 8 years or so. I want to ensure that the choosen car can meet the requirements till such time.

This time I would like to go for a petrol as my average use has come down considerably.

So please let me know if this would be the ideal situation to upgrade?

Btw the car that supposedly can meet my requirements for 12 lakh OTR is currently shortlisted to Scross.

Thanks in advance.

I feel the 4 lacs for the Ritz is a good amount considering the safety concern that you have. I would suggest the Ford Ecosport for the 12-13 lacs bracket. Sturdy build quality and you would get the Titanium S petrol/diesel which is fully loaded with six airbags and great ride quality. If you want to go above 4 metres then with that budget, you may be able to get a base variant of the Creta or Seltos.
Old 13th March 2021, 01:33   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Yet another new car itch guys. Either soothe or aggravate it.

I am thinking of an upgrade to my hatchback bought 4.25 years back. I assume it should fetch me 4.5 lacs. The upgrade, if it happens, will cost 11.5 grands, so the effective cost of upgrade will be 7 lacs. Cost of car per year still comes to around 0.7 lacs per year. I'm doubtful if I can double the saved 7 lacs (effective new car cost now, if I'm not buying) in another 6 years.

Is my calculation totally wrong or is there some sense to it? Attached is a calculation sheet. On the left is keeping the current car for another 6 years and on the right is the calculation if I buy an upgrade now.

ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-img_20210313_011602.jpg
Old 13th March 2021, 02:06   #1071
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Is my calculation totally wrong or is there some sense to it? Attached is a calculation sheet. On the left is keeping the current car for another 6 years and on the right is the calculation if I buy an upgrade now.
As with most hatchbacks we tend to outgrow them , just a matter of time. If your next vehicle is not a proper upgrade , you will be back here in the next 3 years

Car is an expense, don't over complicate it, find out what is your intended use and buy the one that's closest in meeting that requirement, certainly one that you like to drive as well if you are a keen driver.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 08:07   #1072
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Depreciation of old cars flatten out with time. It's not a continuous downward slope. Your 7.5 lakh car after ten years might easily sell for 2-2.5 lakhs depending upon model's popularity and condition.

Costs in retaining your existing car annually -

Maintenance - 30k - [ divided 1 lakh(clutch,timing chain, water pump and suspension overhaul) by 5 years + yearly maintenance 10k]
Insurance - 5k (cheaper with older it becomes, so average 5k)

That's 45k or say 50k annually. 2026 you will have 2 lakhs in your hand as resale.

Cost in buying a new car annually - (divided by 5 years)

Investment - 1.4 lakhs (purchase cost / 5 after subtracting 4.5 lakhs from resale)
Insurance - 20k
Maintenance - 10k

That's 1.7 lakhs annually.

In 2026, you will have 5 lakhs in hand as resale.

So you gain 5 lakhs in resale of new car but you also lose 1.7 lakhs annually (8.5 lakhs over 5 years) as expenditure in buying a new car. Net loss - 3.5 lakhs

You gain 2 lakhs in resale of old car in 2026 but you also lose 0.5 lakh annually (2.5 lakhs over 5 years) as expenditure in retaining your car. Net loss - 0.5 lakhs

So it's a question of whether you mind spending 3 lakhs for a new car ownership over 5 years or say 60k annually or say 5k per month.

PS - I assumed you don't go for loans. If you avail loan, an additional 1.5-2 lakhs you spend on a new car as interest.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 13th March 2021 at 08:12.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 21:01   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Your 7.5 lakh car after ten years might easily sell for 2-2.5 lakhs depending upon model's popularity and condition.
Ok. I'll make it 1.5 lakh instead of 0.5 lakh. No way it's a popular model. But then I'll have to change the release value after 10 years, of the new car I love to buy, also to 1 lakh instead of 0.

Quote:
Maintenance - 30k - [ divided 1 lakh(clutch,timing chain, water pump and suspension overhaul) by 5 years
If I'm selling the current car now, I'll save on this 1 lakh, right?
Old 14th March 2021, 21:05   #1074
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

If I'm selling the current car now, I'll save on this 1 lakh, right?
Ofcourse, yes. That 1 lakh expenditure is due to wear and tear beyond a certain km. Mostly beyond 1 lakh km. Most cars reach that milestone by 7th year.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 15:46   #1075
BHPian

Quote:
Yet another new car itch guys. Either soothe or aggravate it.
It depends on 2 things :
1. TCO of your current car (This guy did a pretty good job here (ARTICLE: The real cost of car ownership))
2. Would you be comfortable affording the TCO of an upgrade.

1. Calculate TCO of current car:

On-Road price on purchase +
Total Interests (if Hire purchase)
Maintenance costs until now +
Fuel costs until now +
Taxes +
Insurance +
Other costs (parking, fines, washes etc. )

2. Do the same for the upgrade and project fuel, maintenance costs based on your usage history (km/year)

Then you will see how much an upgrade itch affects your wallet. That should bring you to a decision.

Regarding your calculation, it just takes the cost of the car in the picture. Thats not the full picture. Read again the very first post of this thread (ARTICLE: The real cost of car ownership).

Last edited by carthick1000 : 27th March 2021 at 16:10.
Old 28th March 2021, 09:26   #1076
BHPian

I am quoting my post from Jan-2019 to give readers a sense of how retaining my car for long has helped me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
So I've a Fiat Linea Emotion MJD (Top end, Diesel) which I'd got in June-2012. Its done 67K KMs as it's closing in on 7 years of ownership.
Now, I used this thread to get inspiration to continue my interest with this car-
1. Did complete interior and exterior detailing.. The car feels rejuvenated inside out.
The car is now at 9 years and 81K KMs.
I do detailing every year.

Quote:
2. Added footwell lamps (FNG)
Continues to work fine
Quote:
3. Exploring how to fit puddle lamps and mirror mounted turn indicators
4. Contemplating RaceDynamics tuning box
Dropped this idea in 2019 and never thought about it again.

Quote:
5. Enquired at few shops on feasibility to upgrade ICE Head Unit which supports Android Auto. The guy told me nothing can be done about it as it is so old generation ICE. . Like the Priya and Vijay Super scooters of 1980s
Dropped this idea as I don't want to tinker with electronics of car much. I use my mobile for navigation.

Quote:
We can only do so much to reignite the interest and engagement...I don't have a solve for these-
1. Linea's length and weight... Which is great on highways - stable like a locomotive. But my running is all in City for foreseeable future.
Continue to use. Commute as well Highway drives have reduced due to Covid.
Quote:
2. Rubbery gear shifts.. Looks like there is a Bata or Relaxo bathroom slipper stuck in the gear system when I am changing the gears
I did clutch overhaul and this problem is gone

Quote:
3. Almost every time I have to get down to 1st gear in traffic even when with no passengers or luggage - speed breakers or speed below 10 kmph.
It is the nature of the car that it has to be in power band and I have made adjustments to my driving style

Quote:
It's so hard to even think of letting it go as it was my first car.
Financially, it doesn't make much difference between selling now or later- at 7years its already heavily depreciated, plus it's a Fiat with poor resale value, and Fiat news of closing shop in India. Its like I am using the car for free with only fuel costs and servicing costs.
The above line in bold is so true - I only have the fueling and servicing costs. The insurance has come down to 4 digit numbers. There is great feeling of EMI-free life.

Quote:
So, I am thinking of retaining the car till the point where pain of owning an old car exceeds pain of letting it go.
There is no pain of using old car as car has been so reliable!
For Annual service, FIAT service is great supported by Mopar from Jeep Dealers. The various parts like Oil filter, AC filter etc. - the boxes have manufacturing dates within 2 months from servicing date.

Quote:
In my alter ego- where wishes are horses - I keep evaluating Endeavor, Fortuner, Kodiak, Superb, 3GT, VRS, XC40, new Camry, Passat and XC60... And a keen eye on Harrier, Compass. At times, I do have audacity to dream about 530d. The ideas is to have few shortlist in each segment- and go ahead once approved by wife.
Now, here is the thing. Delayed Gratification. Wife has now approved to get any of the cars/SUVs from the wish-list as an addition to the family (not replacement for Linea). Her requirements are that the vehicle has to be a)Reliable, b)Passenger Comfort oriented, c) 7 seater as we now have a larger family(we got a baby girl now 2.5 years old) and mother-in-law stays with us.

Quote:
Until then me and my humble Tuscan Wine Fiat Linea.
She is a sweetheart and I will retain her. It drives well, serves my purpose. We don't mind planning adhoc long drives any time - and just visited Chennai and Madurai in last 2 months over weekends.

For FIAT naysayers, I am living example that there are absolutely zero concerns on maintenance. In 9 years of my car, I never had a single breakdown and my car has visited service center only for its annual (15000 KMs/1 year) maintenance. The build quality is right up there and timeless design stands out in crowd!

Last edited by daretodream : 28th March 2021 at 09:38. Reason: Formatting
daretodream is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 09:34   #1077
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
For FIAT naysayers, I am living example that there are absolutely zero concerns on maintenance. In 9 years of my car, I never had a single breakdown and my car has visited service center only for its annual (15000 KMs/1 year) maintenance. The build quality is right up there and timeless design stands out in crowd!
Fiat is a keeper. Punto and Linea as such age very well. 5 years of MS and 5 years of a Fiat there is a huge difference. In fronts of cheap maintenance costs, decent mileage, timeless design, driving dynamics and excellent built quality no 2021 car can come near to them. So it is better to keep them and enjoy instead of lamenting about missing Fiat after owning a new brand.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:36   #1078

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Fiat is a keeper. Punto and Linea as such age very well. 5 years of MS and 5 years of a Fiat there is a huge difference. In fronts of cheap maintenance costs, decent mileage, timeless design, driving dynamics and excellent built quality no 2021 car can come near to them. So it is better to keep them and enjoy instead of lamenting about missing Fiat after owning a new brand.
I fully agree. Our Fiat Linea Emotion MJD completed 6 six years with 75000 kilometers on the odometer. I recently thought of upgrading but then it is such a good vehicle and the price suggested by various portals is also on the lower side. My favorite part is the 190mm ground clearance.
dr.fixated is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 11:06   #1079
BHPian

I have been facing this conundrum for a while now - only the age of my cars has changed (11 and 9 yrs respectively). Both my cars have become long in tooth. I have a 2009 Hyundai i10 1.2 Magna, which has stayed in Jaipur with my folks and is used for weekend local runs with a weekend only driver - hence the Odo reading of 30K odd. But the car feels outdated (not old, really). My Vento 1.6 TDi HL is 10th year running and 122K (upgraded suspension, RCD 340). I'm facing a serious dilemma on how to go about managing my car portfolio. Have set myself a budget of 25L (don't want to stretch to a Camry - the car I really want - until I'm debt free from my home loan) I have the following rather convoluted choices:

1. Sell either one of my cars and upgrade to a new one. Question is which one do I sell? i10 is barely run, works well within the city but is 11! Vento has had all the VW issues (water pump, injectors, timing kit, ABS sensors) but is maintained well because I love it to pieces. I love the way it runs. And then also what do I buy? Also can't bring myself to like any new car within the 25L budget.

2. Sell either one of my cars and upgrade to a pre-loved one. Sell question remains the same. For buying, I have 3 rather interesting choices. A Tiguan Tdi HL 2018, run ~26K kms but in great condition, for about 23L. A Passat TDi HL 2018, run ~27K, condition to be checked, for about 22L. And a brilliantly maintained Passat 2014, run ~50K kms, covers my itch for a more capable car but also saves me a pretty penny at about INR ~ 7L.

3. Sell both and replace with 2 cars. There's no combination that works in new cars for sure. A capable city car for my mum and dad and a spacious, safe Diesel mill for my many highway runs (my Vento has done 25K since June last year - in the middle of a lockdown - because I refused to not travel but also refused to go anywhere without my car - staying in secluded homestays and farmhouses to escape the pandemic). In this scenario I can stretch my budget to 30 and potentially buy a Nexon EV / Altroz EV for Jaipur city runs.

4. Retain my beloved Vento and i10. They do the job, honestly. If I do retain the Vento I want to spend some money on it too. Steering wheel and headlamps upgrade ~ INR 70K. Replace seat covers ~ INR 20K. And an overcoat ~ INR 50K at VW authorized - years of driving on LBS road resulting a few well distributed nicks :(. Question is, with the reliability of VWs is the car worth investing largely in cosmetics at 122K mileage? (I already have imported SACHS setup suspension, my sister carried parts from Germany, god bless her and an RCD 340 that gives me all the connectivity I need). Oh and also a stage 1 Pete's remap (anything that gives me a reason for a solo drive to Kerala from Jaipur is oh so welcome. And Karimeen at Paragon Calicut too!)

My heart still is leaning towards option 4. I love my Vento to pieces! Appreciate your recommendations and the help!

Last edited by Annibaddh : 19th July 2021 at 11:35. Reason: grammar and typos
Annibaddh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 12:08   #1080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
My heart still is leaning towards option 4. I love my Vento to pieces! Appreciate your recommendations and the help!
Go with this. When my Abarth turned 5 earlier this year, got her an overcoat, a larger intercooler and a nice remap. She's done only about 87k kms, but expecting to keep her as long as possible. Plus, the only car that both dad and I liked was the Jeep Compass 4x4 AT. It's high priced and doesn't make sense to spend so much on an upgrade at this moment.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks