Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2013, 21:36   #241
BHPian

Re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Its interesting to find out that young people are getting interested in the old world scooters and some people are helping to bring the old world charm back.

Its also sad to see that some restorers send the restored beauties out of the country for huge sums of money. I understand that its a business but still it makes me sad to see that this national treasure finds its way out of the country.

Priyadarshan
HI Brother

Good Day

You are true indeed. In fact I had also got an offer to sell off my scooter for 70K but I refused .Not many people share the kind of passion that we do regarding the scooters. For people like us who are considered crazy by people who do not understand do not know that its not only a vehicle for us but also a medium to connect to the nostalgic past and relive the golden moments....
Regards

Sushil
sushil_n79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 15:35   #242
BHPian

Re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Hi All
Good Day
I have been away from this thread for a long time as I did not have anything to update you on except the fact that because of the rains, the scooter has been kept in cover and away from the rains so that I am able to protect it from the rust that can be caused because of the same to the under body.
In fact I have desperately waiting to go on a ride on the scooter once the climate is nice and bright and the rains stop but it seem my plans are getting delayed as there is no sign of relief from the rains in hyderabad and it has been continuously raining for the last few days which is making me feel even more anxious to think when I can take my babe out.
I finally gave up on my urge to the same and decided to atleast start the scooter and hear the engine sound so that atleast some sort of relief can be sought on my anxiety.
I happened to uncover the scooter yesterday and felt bad looking at the scooter because of the below two reasons:
1. Although it had been kept under cover and in the covered basement parking but it seems the moisture in the air has started creating signs of surface rust on the chrome headlight rim and on the bolts of the wheel which was cromed. My heart skipped a beat on seeing this.
2. I was just about to accept the same when I decided to start the vehicle to hear the sweet engine noise.And as I always have a habit to depress the clutch lever and slightly depress the kickshaft to ensure proper rotation of the Oil inside before the engine starts I realised that something was wrong.

I realised that inspite of using the clutch the same was not getting engaged and felt the same as if i am trying to use the kick shaft normally. the kick lever feels light tathe clutch is engaged. I assumed that after starting the engine the problem might get resolved but no use as even with the engine started, it makes no difference whether the clutch is used or not as its still the same.
I called my mechanic yesterday to report the problem and was surprised to see that he was not answering the calls. I got extremely worried and thought for a minute that all my hardwork and effort was going to go waste and as a result I once again called my trusted friend and mechanic jaabeer ali in Bhopal MP to find out what the reason could be.
Today morning my mechanic at hyderabad called me to let me know that because of the tough market conditions he had sold off the shop and has returned to his hometown for a few days and shall let me know once he is back, the tone in which he spoke was not so polite as he normally speaks. So I thought it was of no use trying to seek his help but still tried enquiring about what the problem could be only to be greetted by a strange reply in hyderabadi accent which said"Pata nahi saab dekhna padhta, main aajaatoon uske baad aap phone karo fir time mila toh aap gaadee leleke aajaanaa aur maiich dekhlettoon aur aane ke pehle phone kar leke aao kyun bole toh, mereko bhi free hona naa".(what he meant was I cannot tell you upfront , once i am back you call me and get the vehicle i will check it if I am free).I was disappointed as I had expected him to tell me atleast the reason or a reassurance of the fact that it will be done but instead he did not want to take anyresponsibility for the same at all.Its really surprising to see how the mechanics change when their work gets over, there is nothing called as loyalty now a days.
When I spoke to my friend he reported that this problem occured because the clutch assembly inside has got disengaged and can be fixed once the same is removed and was not a major task.
However my apprehensions are as follows:
Is this problem occurring because of the kick shaft work which was carried out in the last service.
Does it usually happen if the scooter has not been used for a long time as never happened to me before.
Can someone suggest a good mechanic near towlichowki area who works only on scooters?
Request all of your inputs on the same and also from the experts to please help me solve this issue.I shall be really grateful to all of you for this kind gesture. I shall be uploading the pictures of the same soon.Hope this gets resolved soon.
Thanks and Regards
Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 25th October 2013 at 15:39. Reason: had used u at one place instead of you,as short forms are not allowed. committed to ensure quality of posts at all times.
Old 27th October 2013, 22:25   #243
BHPian

Hi Everyone

I am still waiting for help. Anjan Sir ,Rahul bhai,Bala anna where are you all?

Regards

Sushil
Old 28th October 2013, 13:56   #244
BHPian

Hi Everyone,
I was searching the internet of the probable solutions and found the solution for the clutch issue, I am posting the same herein for the benefit of all.I have also enclosed the pictures of the same so that its easier to understand.However I would request the experts to advise on the same.
(Courtsey:http://scooterlounge.com)

Garage Time: Vespa Clutch
By Paul on August 2, 2011 5:37 AM

I was working on getting this scooter ready to drive after a long hibernation, and found that the clutch was stuck. The plates must have gotten gelled together, which is not totally uncommon for scooters that were sitting for a long time. Time to pull the clutch and replace the clutch plates!

First, I got the scooter up on my lift. I put the centerstand on a two-by-four to get it lifted up a bit, then I clamped the front wheel in the vise on my lift. With the rear wheel up in the air, I could start working. I pulled the bottom rear shock bolt from the motor, and let the motor drop a bit. Then I removed the rear wheel.

Continue after the jump for the rest of the story...

June_2011_16.JPG

With the rear wheel off, and the motor clear of the rear shock, I have access to the clutch cover. Pull all three bolts from the clutch cover.

June_2011_17.JPG

With the bolts off, the clutch cover comes away from the motor. For ease of re-assembly, I leave the clutch cable attached to the clutch arm, and simply move the whole cover down, and away from the motor. Next, pull off the push pad at the center of the clutch. That gives you access to the clutch nut. First, removed the tab from the clutch washer that is pushed into a groove on the clutch nut. The clutch nut is a castleated nut, so you need to use the special clutch nut tool to remove it. I put the clutch tool on the end of a very long "wobble"socket extension so I can get my air-powered impact wrench to work on the nut. Make sure the clutch tool is totally centered on the nut. If it is not centered, you risk messing up the notches in the nut, and making it a lot harder to remove. With the nut off, you can use two screwdrivers on opposite sides of the clutch as levers to get it free from the crankshaft.

June_2011_18.JPG

Here is what the inside (crank side) clutch looks like when it is removed from the motor.

June_2011_19.JPG
I used the special clutch compressor tool to get the clutch apart. Here it is with the new clutch corks ready to go in.

June_2011_20.JPG
While it is apart, I replaced the two brass bits on the drive plate. The brass bush at the top of the photo is particularly important. It can not have any play, and must be 100% snug on the drive plate. If either of these brass bits are damaged or loose, it will cause clutch grab.

June_2011_21.JPG
With the clutch back together, line it up with the woodruff key on the crankshaft, and press it on the crank. Fit a new tabbed washer and clutch nut. Then tighten them down. Use a torque wrench set to 4-4.5 kg/m.

June_2011_22.JPG
Refit the push plate. Then put the clutch cover back on, making sure that the brass push pin is located in the clutch cover. Tighten the three clutch cover nuts snugly. Then test that the clutch is correctly adjusted. You can do that with the motor off. Simply pull the clutch lever in, and start to move the kickstarter by hand. As you let the clutch lever out, you can feel where the clutch starts to engage as you move the kickstarter. Adjust the clutch cable as need be by using the adjuster on the motor. It is a lot easier to adjust it while the scooter is up in the air and the rear wheel is off! When you are satisfied that the clutch is adjusted correctly, then re-fit the rear wheel, and you're done!

I just wanted to know what is the name of the long tool which is seen in the second last image. Request inputs on the same and also if this ccan be done at home itself.

Thanks and Regards
Sushil Narayanan
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-june_2011_15thumb500x3341115.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-june_2011_16thumb500x3341117.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-june_2011_17thumb500x3341119.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-june_2011_18thumb500x3341121.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-june_2011_19thumb500x3341123.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-june_2011_20thumb500x3341125.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-june_2011_21thumb500x3341127.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-june_2011_22thumb500x3341129.jpg  

Old 28th October 2013, 14:04   #245
BHPian

Sushil: As you said, moisture inside the cover is the cause of rust marks on the chrome surfaces. Since you have a covered basement parking, avoid using the cover during monsoons. Coming to your other concern, clutch plates sticking together when the scooter is not in use is a common problem. It had happened to my scooter as well. After starting the scooter, pressing and releasing the clutch multiple times should solve the problem. Going forward the best option would be to use the scooter (or at least start it) once a week.
Scarlet_Rider is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 14:25   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Sushil: As you said, moisture inside the cover is the cause of rust marks on the chrome surfaces. Since you have a covered basement parking, avoid using the cover during monsoons. Coming to your other concern, clutch plates sticking together when the scooter is not in use is a common problem. It had happened to my scooter as well. After starting the scooter, pressing and releasing the clutch multiple times should solve the problem. Going forward the best option would be to use the scooter (or at least start it) once a week.
Might I ask, what causes the sticking of clutch plates? Rust? OR Oil?
Old 29th October 2013, 09:31   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Might I ask, what causes the sticking of clutch plates? Rust? OR Oil?
Rust is the least likely culpruit for clutch plates sticking in a Bajaj scooter. As the scooter was not in use for many weeks/months, the layer of oil between the clutch plates must have sort of dried up causing the plates to stick together.

Another reason could be that the colder temperatures during monsoon might have also caused an oil viscosity change (oil getting a bit thicker in lower temperatures) leading to the plates remaining stuck. Ideally this should not be happening as the gear box oil used in Bajaj scooters is of a fixed viscosity i.e. SAE 30. But I could be wrong. Experts please do share your comments here and correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
I am still waiting for help.
Sushil: To resolve the problem, you can try the following:
  • Drain the gear box oil.
  • Open the clutch cover.
  • Remove the clutch assembly and separate the clutch plates.
  • Clean the clutch assembly and the clutch plates with petrol.
  • Once dry, assemble the clutch unit and fit it back.
  • Check the condition of the clutch cover oil seal. Replace if in doubt. Use the one made by Senior.
  • Pour in fresh gear box oil. (Although an oil change is not required for the mileage your scooter has clocked, we need to remember that the lubrication properties of an oil reduce even during non-usage due to chemical changes.)
  • Check the clutch action and if all is fine, hit the tarmac!!
Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Scarlet_Rider is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 13:25   #248
BHPian

Hi Fintail

Good Day

Thanks for viewing the thread and sharing information with your query. I hope you found it useful. It shall help me and all the others who want to restore their scooter some more information on the aspects that I could not touch.

Hi Rahul bhai

3 cheers to you for coming first to my rescue. thanks for the same and for the awesome step by step description which is self explainatory. however would request you to post a picture of the clutch cover oil seal and where it can be found. It would be a blessing for people like me to understand better.

Thanks and Regards
Sushil Narayanan
sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 13:46   #249
BHPian

My apologies Sushil. It is not called an oil seal but an O-Ring. It is a round rubber ring that is placed along the outer lining of the clutch cover as shown in the second picture below. I have marked the place where the o-ring is placed. The o-ring is not shown in the picture.

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-clutch-cover-1.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-clutch-cover-2.jpg
Scarlet_Rider is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 14:05   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
My apologies Sushil. It is not called an oil seal but an O-Ring. It is a round rubber ring that is placed along the outer lining of the clutch cover as shown in the second picture below. I have marked the place where the o-ring is placed. The o-ring is not shown in the picture.

Attachment 1160151

Attachment 1160152
First and Foremost-
I guess the 'O' - Ring will be a gasket-like ring, which will cover the entire outer circumference lining of the clutch cover.

BTW, Oil seals and 'O' Rings have two entirely different functions!

Secondly-

@Sushil - I found your thread extremely useful and shall use it as a reference in future. (If I ever own a Vespa 150, that is!)

Cheers!

Fintail/Heckflosse!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 30th October 2013 at 14:11.
Old 21st November 2013, 11:55   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post

Secondly-

@Sushil - I found your thread extremely useful and shall use it as a reference in future. (If I ever own a Vespa 150, that is!)

Cheers!
Hello everyone
I am back with the update on the same could not do so earlier as was busy on account of work. Yesterday I tried starting the scooter and suddenly got an idea to ride it in the same way as I would have done if the clutch cable was broken so I tried the same by pushing the scooter a little distance and as soon as it gains momentum engage in second gear to get the vehicle moving. I tried this and was successfully able to get the scooter out of basement parking and rode it for half a km. To my surprise the clutch issue got resolved and the vehicle is performing like new.
I am at peace now and will share the latest pictures today.
Caution: although I tried solving the issue by using the above technique and it worked for me I would request others not to try the same unless you are an expert in riding scooter and have at least many years of experience of using the scooter daily. As it can be extremely dangerous to do the same not only for the person who does it but also for others.
To do it safely please follow the method mentioned in the last three posts by scarlet rider. If I would not have been successful I would have tried the step by step approach which is beautifully explained.
I shall be uploading the recent pictures soon and last but not the least a big thanks to team bhp and to all the people for their valuable inputs for helping me out in times of need.
Thanks and regards
Sushil Narayanan

Hi all
I am unable to upload the pictures at the moment another work has come up I shall be doing the same soon
Regards
Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by karlosdeville : 21st November 2013 at 12:22. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 23rd December 2013, 13:20   #252
BHPian

Hi All

I am back with the updates sorry for the delay was out of hyderabad on account of official work . Just returned yesterday night and took photos of the vespa in the parking lot itself at night. I am uploading them now will upload the ones during the day later, as they say something is better than nothing. I am glad to see it still looks new after 2 years of restoration. hope she stays like this forever

Enjoy folks

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0809.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0810.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0811.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0857.jpg  

sushil_n79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 19:30   #253
BHPian

Hi All

Just noticed this thread has completed 252 posts . thanks for your valuable contributions.

One more good news is my cousin staying in mumbai has requested me to restore his scooter also for him after seeing my restoration .The scooter is a 1990 model and Bajaj chetak and of course the mumbai weather has been responsible for its current state and also the fact that my brother was away from mumbai for the last 5 years so the scooter has not been used at all ans has been lying idle. He just wants to restore it to its pristine condition and preserve it forever. Hopefully the work shall start when the scooter finally arrives here. Keeping my fingers crossed as my cousin has been really busy for the last 6 months due to his office work.

I am posting the pictures of how it currently looks (sorry for the bad quality of pictures as was taken in a hurry by me with my mobile phone)and the second set of how I assume it should actually look. not sure of the shade though so posted all the probable colors . however waiting for confirmation from my cousin Request the experts to comment on the same . Enjoy the Pictures

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0732.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0733.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0734.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0735.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0736.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-56bb5580c09ea8f33f7217873c4736f63588235.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-bajajchetakforsale21160272281386386358_sm.jpeg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-21973_1266904370.jpg  

Old 25th December 2013, 06:05   #254
BHPian

Hi Susheel

Thats a neat restoration job. I have been very busy in past few months and was not getting enough time to log on to Team-Bhp. All i was doing all this while was to just go through all the latest threads and posts and just close it. I found your thread today and just could not stop myself. Went through the entire thread and read each and every post of yours and the end result is amazingly superb. I also own a 1989 Priya which was exactly the same color which is your scooter. My dad is its first owner who bought is for 13000 rupees brand new. He used to ride a Rajdoot before this. We used it till 2005 and it was our primary mode of transport in the town. It was being used frequently till 2010 after which it was neglected because of addition of other vehicles in family. It has not been started in last 3.5 years. My dad was very keen on selling this and he still is. He even was about to close the deal with some chap for 2000 and i told him if he sells it i will buy it back from that person by paying him 4000 rupees the very next day he sells it. I have transported it at my place last week as it was lying in my hometown for all these years. I have plans of restoring it. Now its in blue color which was done in 2001 i believe. Need your help. If you could tell me how much the entire project cost you and if you could give me the break up that would be of great help. A PM will do.

Atteching few pics.

nIk
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-priya.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-priya-1.jpg  

Last edited by nik0502 : 25th December 2013 at 06:22.
nik0502 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 12:49   #255
BHPian

Hi Nik

Thanks for your appreciation and for going through the thread . I will be able to help you in totality about each and every aspect of restoration. You may also want to refer to this thread for additional support. Congratulations on sharing the passion to restore the scooter to its pristine condition, because people like us who own the scooter in their families are really lucky and no words can describe the feeling of riding a fully restored scooter with all the nostalgic memories to go with it.

I would request you to also get inputs from your dad to tell you how it was when it was bought new. maybe it can be a gift from you to him for fathers day or just as a memoir to thank him for all that he has done for you. sorry if I am getting personal I just get a little touched when I see people sharing their stories.

All the Best.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks