Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2013, 15:57   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

After much deliberation on the colour, I think it is a great choice. The flavour of red is retained, which is very much the identity of the car, yet the slightly darker/wine tinge to it adds a touch of class. The finish appears neat, with straight lines. Remember to paint the wheels light cream (like original), it will complement the car very nicely. I would have kept the engine bay in body colour though. I would strongly suggest that you re paint at least the wheel wells to body colour, it is immedeately noticable.

Do you have upholstery options ready? I would suggest a single tone dark tan/
brown, again like the original, plus will match the exteriors.

Glad to see the original foot rests still intact on the floor - these are often removed when work is done.

Hi karl,

Thanks felt happy after reading such heartening words. Worth all the hard work.

The wheels on the car are temporary ones. I Have the '57-'58 wheel disc and new tryres. Getting them painted as u said.

Regarding the engine bay & wheel wells, got it painted in that shade after seeing one of the latest cars in the same red. Will get the wheel wells painted to body colours once I finish the engine mounting works.

For the upholstery work planning to leave it at " koyas " a well known guy for upholstery work. Decided on doing it in brown shade. Thought I'll do it in two tone finish, a lighter and darker shade of brown in the same original design, the vertcal strip pattern. Please advice on the seat design. Please post any pictures if available. Thanks once again.
Old 13th October 2013, 07:31   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkannant View Post

Hi karl,

Thanks felt happy after reading such heartening words. Worth all the hard work.

The wheels on the car are temporary ones. I Have the '57-'58 wheel disc and new tryres. Getting them painted as u said.

Regarding the engine bay & wheel wells, got it painted in that shade after seeing one of the latest cars in the same red. Will get the wheel wells painted to body colours once I finish the engine mounting works.

For the upholstery work planning to leave it at " koyas " a well known guy for upholstery work. Decided on doing it in brown shade. Thought I'll do it in two tone finish, a lighter and darker shade of brown in the same original design, the vertcal strip pattern. Please advice on the seat design. Please post any pictures if available. Thanks once again.
Hi,
Need some help in getting the new 520-14 tyres white walled. Getting a white tyre paint from B'lore which is imported from Iceland. Wanted to know on which side of the tyre do I paint it white. Actually on one side there is a strip which is clear without any writing on it and on the other side u get all the writings like the name of the company, size & so on. Looks like the side with all the writings on is the outer side. So do I paint that side white or the clear side?
Also the side with all the writing has a bulge while the clear side is more flat. Am not very sure which side is the outer side.

So guys please help me out on this.
Thank you.
Old 13th October 2013, 18:13   #108
Senior - BHPian

Re: Restoration of MDN 6494 ('55 Millecento) - In remembrance of my Father

Quote:
Hi,
Need some help in getting the new 520-14 tyres white walled. Getting a white tyre paint from B'lore which is imported from Iceland. Wanted to know on which side of the tyre do I paint it white. Actually on one side there is a strip which is clear without any writing on it and on the other side u get all the writings like the name of the company, size & so on. Looks like the side with all the writings on is the outer side. So do I paint that side white or the clear side?
Also the side with all the writing has a bulge while the clear side is more flat. Am not very sure which side is the outer side.

So guys please help me out on this.
Thank you.
Hi doc always the side with the lettering is the side which goes on the outside. Hence you shall have to paint that side. Dont worry it does,not look bad if you do so. Cheers
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 18:35   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post

Hi doc always the side with the lettering is the side which goes on the outside. Hence you shall have to paint that side. Dont worry it does,not look bad if you do so. Cheers
Thank you Mr. Mole, will do that. Cheers.
Old 13th October 2013, 23:39   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Hmm..thats odd! I'd normally prefer to have it the opposite way if I were to whitewall the outer-facing side!
But, I guess it should be ok once the whitewall is applied.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 22:10   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Hmm..thats odd! I'd normally prefer to have it the opposite way if I were to whitewall the outer-facing side!
But, I guess it should be ok once the whitewall is applied.
Hi guys, got the set of 5 wheel discs painted as per our millecento norm.
Is the painted pattern OK?

Please advice if any corrections needed.
Waiting for the white tyre paint to arrive from B'lore. Once I get the tyre painted my painting job is done.

Have attached a picture of the painted wheel disc.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131022_221032.png
Views: 1620
Size:  303.9 KB
Old 23rd October 2013, 09:55   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys, got the set of 5 wheel discs painted as per our millecento norm.
Is the painted pattern OK?

Please advice if any corrections needed.
Hi Doc,

First do keep in mind these wheels are from a later model, the originals should not have these holes punched for ventilation, but thin slits along the joint of the wheel centre to the rim.

The colour combination you have chosen is correct for the cars in Italy, but in India they were painted a single colour cream. The choice is yours.
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 10:41   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Hi Doc,

First do keep in mind these wheels are from a later model, the originals should not have these holes punched for ventilation, but thin slits along the joint of the wheel centre to the rim.

The colour combination you have chosen is correct for the cars in Italy, but in India they were painted a single colour cream. The choice is yours.
Hi karl,

Thank you so much for the input. I know the discs are of later model, but I just have one disc of the original type. I managed to get a set of 5 in this type so got them.

Oops! The discs are already painted and did not know that the painting differed for the Indian and Italian cars. Maybe later when I take the car for any paint job I'll correct them. Thanks a lot.
Old 2nd November 2013, 23:22   #114
Senior - BHPian

Hello Sir, saw the paint on the dream car; Done with precision in my view. Very neat job and good selection of the color. This color is giving it the uber-decent persona. Can you please post the final finished pics of the car.

thanks

AD
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 23:59   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Hello Sir, saw the paint on the dream car; Done with precision in my view. Very neat job and good selection of the color. This color is giving it the uber-decent persona. Can you please post the final finished pics of the car.

thanks

AD
Hi AD

Thank you so much. You were one of the person who made me decide on the colour. I always wanted the car to be red as this whole process of restoration is in my dad's memory, who was so fond of red. But in between some of my friends suggested me to go for a different colour, so was a bit confused but finally got my priorities right.

Just got the car engine & gearbox mounted and will be leaving the car for complete rewiring next. Need to get the body fittings fixed before that.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131102_235718.png
Views: 1577
Size:  313.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131102_235856.png
Views: 1546
Size:  323.8 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131102_235941.png
Views: 1504
Size:  303.6 KB

Few pictures of the engine & gearbox worked up and painted. Yet to get the carburettor cleaned.
Drkannant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 10:37   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oops! The discs are already painted and did not know that the painting differed for the Indian and Italian cars. Maybe later when I take the car for any paint job I'll correct them. Thanks a lot.
Repainting the discs shouldnt be much of a problem, that too just the outer edges. IMHO it will be easier now when the tyres are not yet fitted rather than later, when all the tyres will have to be taken off t he rims one by one!

Of course the painter will charge a bit extra for the same even now!
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 23:03   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Repainting the discs shouldnt be much of a problem, that too just the outer edges. IMHO it will be easier now when the tyres are not yet fitted rather than later, when all the tyres will have to be taken off t he rims one by one!

Of course the painter will charge a bit extra for the same even now!
Dear Mr. Stanher I have already got the new set of tyres on the disc and is fitted on to the car. Will be getting the tyre white walled in a couple of days. let me see sir how it looks after the whitewall paint and then will decide whether to get them repainted.

Thanks n regards.
Old 4th November 2013, 19:08   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have already got the new set of tyres on the disc and is fitted on to the car. Will be getting the tyre white walled in a couple of days. let me see sir how it looks after the whitewall paint.
Hi Sir, Getting the rims repainted is not a problem BUT as of now the rims are 2 tone i.e Red+White so in my view leave the tyres as it is and don't go for white walling of them as it will spoil the look; Reason being that your rim is itself having White so if you again use White then wheels may look awkward and loud to an extent.

Thanks

AD
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 00:42   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Hi Sir, Getting the rims repainted is not a problem BUT as of now the rims are 2 tone i.e Red+White so in my view leave the tyres as it is and don't go for white walling of them as it will spoil the look; Reason being that your rim is itself having White so if you again use White then wheels may look awkward and loud to an extent.

Thanks

AD
Hi Mr.AD
the rim is not red & white, its actually red and cream as it was in all the Italian made cars. These cars also had the white walled tires.
I will definitely try it out on a sample Tyre before painting it on to the new ones.
Thanks & regards.

Last edited by Drkannant : 7th November 2013 at 00:45. Reason: spelling
Drkannant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 01:17   #120
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Mr.AD
the rim is not red & white, its actually red and cream as it was in all the Italian made cars. These cars also had the white walled tires.
I will definitely try it out on a sample Tyre before painting it on to the new ones.
Thanks & regards.
Hi,
Its been some time since I had last updated my restoration status. Just was busy putting back all that I had removed from the car.

The engine is mounted back after all that Mr. Beharam asked me to do except for the tappet cover issue. Trying to find an original tappet cover with the original vents so that I can alter mine according to that. Will be happy if anyone can find me one for reference or for sale.

Right now the external fittings are being done. Posted Few pictures for all you guys to see and suggest .

Thank you.
Attached Images

Drkannant is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks