Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2013, 20:37   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Restoration of MDN 6494 ('55 Millecento) - In remembrance of my Father

Dear Sir, Good Evening, After a considerable gap I am posting on your thread. The dream car has come out really nicely so congrats for the ernest efforts from your end. When is it going to hit the roads? Paint finish is very nice. On a sincere note and honestly i am teary right now as I see a glimpse of my Padmini Premier in it and think what it would have looked like had it been restored. Well done Sir. All the best for its future rides and journeys.

thanks

AD
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 21:23   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Dear Sir, Good Evening, After a considerable gap I am posting on your thread. The dream car has come out really nicely so congrats for the ernest efforts from your end. When is it going to hit the roads? Paint finish is very nice. On a sincere note and honestly i am teary right now as I see a glimpse of my Padmini Premier in it and think what it would have looked like had it been restored. Well done Sir. All th best for its future rides and journeys.

thanks

AD
Hi AD,

Thanks a lot for your hearfelt sincere comments. The car is With the auto electrician for total rewiring. The new headache now is the with the headlight assembling. Not able to find a correct reflector for the original doom. Tried out various reflectors of vehicles like DCM Toyota, Tata Mini door etc. but they are slightly smaller in diameter. Frantically searching for a new Java headlight to use its reflector, not able to find one. Any help from any of our Team BHPians?

Actually got the original headlight doom, got a pair of new Java headlight glass. Trying to mix & match with any of the latest vehicles reflectors. I was told that Dcm Toyota & mini door reflector will fit perfectly, but they are slightly smaller so the reflector does not sit perfectly on the doom. They kind of sink into the doom. They are about 5.45 inches, while the doom and glass is 6 inches in diameter.
Totally confused and finally asked the guy to use the DCM Toyota reflector and finish it.

Any suggestions? Please advice.

Thank you.
Drkannant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 19:30   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkannant View Post

Hi AD,

Thanks a lot for your hearfelt sincere comments. The car is With the auto electrician for total rewiring. The new headache now is the with the headlight assembling. Not able to find a correct reflector for the original doom. Tried out various reflectors of vehicles like DCM Toyota, Tata Mini door etc. but they are slightly smaller in diameter. Frantically searching for a new Java headlight to use its reflector, not able to find one. Any help from any of our Team BHPians?

Actually got the original headlight doom, got a pair of new Java headlight glass. Trying to mix & match with any of the latest vehicles reflectors. I was told that Dcm Toyota & mini door reflector will fit perfectly, but they are slightly smaller so the reflector does not sit perfectly on the doom. They kind of sink into the doom. They are about 5.45 inches, while the doom and glass is 6 inches in diameter.
Totally confused and finally asked the guy to use the DCM Toyota reflector and finish it.

Any suggestions? Please advice.

Thank you.
Hi everyone

Few pictures of the car after about 90 % of the fitting in place and after totally new rewiring.

The headlight rings is yet to be fitted as the head light needs a bit focus correction. Regarding the dashboard, the knobs are yet to be placed as I have to figure out how they placed. No clue at all. The wipers, interior roof lights, grasping handle, rear view mirror and the door handles will be fixed after the upholstery work.

The car is right now back with the mechanic for engine tuning and timing correction. Need to look into some minor work regarding the clutches, wheel alignment and gear box.

Need some advice regarding why engine gets heated up very fast. Please all you experts tell me what all could be the reasons and what I should check for.

Few pics as I told you earlier.

Thanks and regards.
Attached Images

Drkannant is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 20:46   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone

Few pictures of the car after about 90 % of the fitting in place and after totally new rewiring.
A dream come true for you sir. Fantastic pictures sir. Looking at the pics it seems to have come a full circle and genuinly a master piece in my view after the restoration. As for the heating I can advice you upon what I did to my Padmini Premier was installing a coolant bottle connected to the radiator. Overall it was worth the efforts done sir.

thanks

AD
Old 20th December 2013, 01:39   #125
BHPian

Quote:

A dream come true for you sir. Fantastic pictures sir. Looking at the pics it seems to have come a full circle and genuinly a master piece in my view after the restoration. As for the heating I can advice you upon what I did to my Padmini Premier was installing a coolant bottle connected to the radiator. Overall it was worth the efforts done sir.

thanks

AD
Thank you Mr.AD

Eill check out this coolant stuff.

Few more pics of the car.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131220_013806.png
Views: 1476
Size:  374.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131220_013815.png
Views: 1522
Size:  400.8 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131220_013720.png
Views: 1470
Size:  445.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131220_013747.png
Views: 1447
Size:  360.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131220_013806.png
Views: 1476
Size:  374.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131220_013815.png
Views: 1522
Size:  400.8 KB
Attached Images

Drkannant is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 10:07   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Need some advice regarding why engine gets heated up very fast. Please all you experts tell me what all could be the reasons and what I should check for.
bulldogji with his vast experience has explained well here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-...ml#post3063579 (Sunbeam Rapier Series 1 - Advice on Restoring and Maintaining)

Quote:
OVERHEATING HAS SEVERAL CAUSES. Karl, water jackets cannot be cleaned. They are just plugs. It is the water passages that need to be properly cleaned. Assuming, and you must ask the guy who worked on the engine, that the water passages were properly cleaned and the metal tubes replaced, I would look at the following areas.

An old radiator core, repaired several times can result in improper heat transfer.
Binding brakes
Slipping clutch
Incorrect valve/ignition timing
Badly sleeved block
Oversized pistons
Incorrect setting of the differential gears
Incorrect tension of the fan belt
Crimp in the hose pipe resulting in inadequate water flow
Leaking/ malfunctioning water pump
Over tight axle nuts
Defective head gasket
Incorrect pressure cap
Inadequate engine compression
Incorrect carb setting{ a very lean mixture}
Driving uphill in the wrong gear( you would be suprised at the number of people who are guilty of this)

Long list? Thats the way it is. Enjoy.
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 10:56   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Thanks Karl, thats a pretty long list. Will rule out one by one and will keep u posted.

Thanks & regards.
Drkannant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 20:24   #128
BHPian

Hi, recent update on my car with all the engine bay things that was procured & restored fitted in the car.
The engine tuned and timing checked.
Wheel alignment done using the good old thread way. In fact this is the first time I saw such an alignment being done. Anyway I would also get the wheel alignment done by the latest computerised alignment
Engine and gear box oil changed as per Mr. Beharam advice and specification.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131230_202352.png
Views: 1364
Size:  322.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131230_202423.png
Views: 1375
Size:  322.8 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131230_202135.png
Views: 1830
Size:  368.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131230_202148.png
Views: 1417
Size:  359.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131230_202212.png
Views: 1339
Size:  347.8 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131230_202310.png
Views: 1509
Size:  364.9 KB

Next I would be taking the car for upholstery work to a well known upholstery place called KOYAS here in coimbatore.

Attached few pics for all your eyes and advice.

Thanks & regards.
Drkannant is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 20:32   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, recent update on my car with all the engine bay things that was procured & restored fitted in the car.
The engine tuned and timing checked.
Wheel alignment done using the good old thread way. In fact this is the first time I saw such an alignment being done. Anyway I would also get the wheel alignment done by the latest computerised alignment
Engine and gear box oil changed as per Mr. Beharam advice and specification.

Next I would be taking the car for upholstery work to a well known upholstery place called KOYAS here in coimbatore.
Dear Sir, The engine bay looks in super shape and the car itself is a true master piece for me. Fantastic job done sir. Please share the upholstery color combo as soon as you decide on it. Also take it from me sir that please dont be surprised if people approach you to guide them for their fiats soon. All the best.

thanks

AD
Old 31st December 2013, 01:00   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Sir, The engine bay looks in super shape and the car itself is a true master piece for me. Fantastic job done sir. Please share the upholstery color combo as soon as you decide on it. Also take it from me sir that please dont be surprised if people approach you to guide them for their fiats soon. All the best.

thanks

AD
Ha ha Mr.AD

Me not an expert in restoration, was able to do what I had done only with help & guide of few souls in the TBHP family. My heartfelt thanks to them.

Definitely would love to share my experience if anyone need to know the details.

Surely Mr AD will keep you posted of the upholstery work.

Thanks & regards.
Old 31st December 2013, 09:55   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Car is coming up nicely, glad to see a detailed engine bay.

Quote:
I believe Koya is the most sought after upholstry guy around - but do make sure you stick to an original pattern and material - no moulded roof lining, no velvet cloth anywhere I would also suggest a darker colour for the seats simply for ease of maintenance.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 10:43   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Car is coming up nicely, glad to see a detailed engine bay.

I believe Koya is the most sought after upholstry guy around - but do make sure you stick to an original pattern and material - no moulded roof lining, no velvet cloth anywhere I would also suggest a darker colour for the seats simply for ease of maintenance.
Hi karl .... thanks for the feedback.
Will surely see to that there is no moulded roofing and velvet clothing.

Thanks & regards.
Old 3rd January 2014, 00:26   #133
BHPian

Hi Guys

Need some help with the upholstery work. Can anyone please post me some pictures of the original pattern of the 1955 millecento's front & rear seat pattern and the front and rear door padding pattern. Also need some help on the roofing & flooring work.

hoping to get some help soon.

Thanks & regards.
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:47   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys
Need some help with the upholstery work. Can anyone please post me some pictures of the original pattern of the 1955 millecento's front & rear seat pattern and the front and rear door padding pattern. Also need some help on the roofing & flooring work.
Attached are some reference pictures (original and reproduction).

Restoration of MDN 6494 ('55 Millecento) - In remembrance of my Father-01.jpg
Restoration of MDN 6494 ('55 Millecento) - In remembrance of my Father-02.jpg
Restoration of MDN 6494 ('55 Millecento) - In remembrance of my Father-03.jpg
Restoration of MDN 6494 ('55 Millecento) - In remembrance of my Father-04.jpg

When fitting the door panels to the doors avoid drilling screws through to fit them. Ideally they should be fitted with clips that are not visible from the outside - be warned they often come loose, so oversee the fitting personally.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 10:29   #135
BHPian

Quote:

Attached are some reference pictures (original and reproduction).

When fitting the door panels to the doors avoid drilling screws through to fit them. Ideally they should be fitted with clips that are not visible from the outside - be warned they often come loose, so oversee the fitting personally.
Thanks Karl , I really appreciate it.

Thanks& regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks