Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2011, 20:29   #166
BHPian

Re: Enfield Fantabulus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Lots of thanks the mole for featuring this one here. You are the proud owner of a rare scooter. I think this may be the only one of its kind, with the original paintwork in India! You have a Fantabulus in its original avatar.
It appeared in this avatar with the self starter in 1966. It had a battery- a rare feature in two-wheelers those days. The Bullet was already there with a battery however. The Fantabulus was available only in this colour during its first phase. The other two scooters ( Vespa and Lambretta- Rajdoot was yet to venture) had bookings and waiting lists, but this one was readily available.It sold quite well after the launch. But self starter problems dented its image soon. The kick starter version came around 1968. The British, two-tone colour was gone and the kick start version was available in single colours viz.commonly in white and tan brown colours.
Wishing you all the best for your project! The scooter is worth a visit to Mumbai just to see and photograph it. Hope to see it after restoration!
Dear anjan bro'
If you would have gone through few pages in this same thread....you would seen the Fantabulus history( particularly in that pdf file containing a article about Enfield Fantabulus..which featured in " Scootering " magazine)
prior to " Scootering "mag people, I have diged a lot and furnished plenty of details to them regarding FANTABULUS.
Fantabulus was launched on mid '62 ( not to forget mine is 1963, siba-Dyna start version as our Mole's machine)
This Siba -dyna start & dual tone color scheme machines came up to 1967.
From mid '67 onwards Kick start machines with Single color scheme was the order...till 1971.
Any way many of members dint find time(or rather dint have patience for the pdf file to open) to go through the article, which was posted by me, from " Scootering' magazine's August 2011 issue, just few a page before this one, of course in the same thread!!
Old 9th September 2011, 21:07   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
...... here in Hyderabad we have designers who hand paint on by cycles mud guards, frame with those gold lining, we have artists doing the drawings on Royal Enfield find out if you have any in Mumbai show it to them they should be helpful and I am sure this task will be at ease for you.
You are absolutely right chanu!!
I have done much more complicated stuff @ Hyderabad & Coimbatore...but Artists from Pearl city are much better than, guys from Cotton City at least in this Automobile hand painting!!
I have traced out all the stuff ,which needed to be done by the Artists to my Fantabulus in case I go for a re-paint job ..way long back
Presenting few Hyderabad artist's work...which i have done at recent times
Just note that BSA's piled arms logo( also not to forget the size hardly 2.5" X 1.75" approx Oval)....though plenty of water transfers are available in the market..I insisted on doing this instead of WTs, just not to lose the work man ship of these artists....,where slowly computer aided printing & stuff...has forced these guys to go for alternative jobs to win their daily bread

Now a RE 's 'made like a GUN">>

Simple but...worth's

So in case if 'am going to disturb my Fanta's Stock paint.....there i have a guy in my mind......he is simply MIND blowing!!!( Mr.Amol to note >>>)
Old 9th September 2011, 22:48   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Dear anjan bro'
If you would have gone through few pages in this same thread....you would seen the Fantabulus history( particularly in that pdf file containing a article about Enfield Fantabulus..which featured in " Scootering " magazine)
prior to " Scootering "mag people, I have diged a lot and furnished plenty of details to them regarding FANTABULUS.
Fantabulus was launched on mid '62 ( not to forget mine is 1963, siba-Dyna start version as our Mole's machine)
This Siba -dyna start & dual tone color scheme machines came up to 1967.
From mid '67 onwards Kick start machines with Single color scheme was the order...till 1971.
Any way many of members dint find time(or rather dint have patience for the pdf file to open) to go through the article, which was posted by me, from " Scootering' magazine's August 2011 issue, just few a page before this one, of course in the same thread!!
Thanks for your information powertwin.Yes the fact regarding the kick start single tone colour scheme dating to (it was late) 1967 or early 1968 is OK. My uncle had a kick start version from the first lot in tan colour of 1968, while our neighbor had a white one also a 1968 model. But the fact that the Fantabulus came along in 1962 is disputed. Not at least in the Central, Eastern and Western parts of India where it was introduced only in 1966, repeat it was 1966. Maybe in the South it was introduced in 1962, but concrete evidence is required.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th September 2011 at 22:51.
Old 9th September 2011, 23:13   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007
Lots of thanks the mole for featuring this one here. You are the proud owner of a rare scooter. I think this may be the only one of its kind, with the original paintwork in India! You have a Fantabulus in its original avatar.
It appeared in this avatar with the self starter in 1966. It had a battery- a rare feature in two-wheelers those days. The Bullet was already there with a battery however. The Fantabulus was available only in this colour during its first phase. The other two scooters ( Vespa and Lambretta- Rajdoot was yet to venture) had bookings and waiting lists, but this one was readily available.It sold quite well after the launch. But self starter problems dented its image soon. The kick starter version came around 1968. The British, two-tone colour was gone and the kick start version was available in single colours viz.commonly in white and tan brown colours.
Wishing you all the best for your project! The scooter is worth a visit to Mumbai just to see and photograph it. Hope to see it after restoration!
Thank you Anjan da for your comments, I must confess I am quite befuddled about how to restore this beauty. Whatever I do I know I have to be very measured in my approach. Some stuff was on her when she came to me like the meter, headlight, choke cable near the seat, and rear reflector. I am bit confused about the headlight a s the one on my scooter is a hella, whereas Powertwin has a miller.

Again thanks for your inputs and looking forward to many more.
Attached Images

the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 23:40   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your information powertwin..... Maybe in the South it was introduced in 1962, but concrete evidence is required.
Original RC ( Tamil Nadu - Coimbatore) of my Fantabulus is the Evidence, but dunno how far it is concrete by any standards.
will post my RC book scanned copy ., some time after this weekend discussion
Old 10th September 2011, 00:11   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I must confess I am quite befuddled about how to restore this beauty. . I am bit confused about the headlight a s the one on my scooter is a Hella, whereas Powertwin has a Miller.

@ mole: you told>"I must confess I am quite befuddled about how to restore this beauty.
Come on ji, be optimistic ,...just getting , restored machines by chipping money & posing behind the machine is no big deal ..&.there is no thrill
!!
If there is no thrill & spill, then it cant be termed PROJECT.
That's why we are here discussing things......just plan, discuss with like minded guys, find a passionate Mechanic (??)...enjoy restoration!!
Regarding Lights:- There is nothing to confuse....plz check out the parts catalog, Miller ( British) light was the Original equipment(O.E)....after years of usage the Miller light would have loosed its charm, hence previous owner would have replaced with a Hella(German) Light
If happened to see any early Bajaj Scoots, with stock lights, observe..it will be Hella!!! even at recent times...I came across such lights, & Hella was O.E for early Bajaj scoots.
Have you observed your Fanta's front brake lever is a " Sheet metal"(steel) one, likely of Bullet's..where the original one is a solid pressure die casted alloy!! ( Haven't seen your left side lever- not visible in the pics)
If you are interested.....I can replicate a brake lever for you , it wont be pressure die cast one....will be a Gravity cast one
Cheers!!
ps: If you can, reveal complete pics with some details, then we can at least prepare the list of required parts, for time being!!
powertwin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 06:25   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Not wanting to take anything away from this scooter but there is an excellent example of one here in Bangalore. The best I have seen yet. It is a low-mileage, dual-tone one in all its original glory. It is on display the the newly opened MOtorcycle Museum and Cafe.
TuffRyder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 08:42   #173
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Not wanting to take anything away from this scooter but there is an excellent example of one here in Bangalore. The best I have seen yet. It is a low-mileage, dual-tone one in all its original glory. It is on display the the newly opened MOtorcycle Museum and Cafe.
Thanks TuffRyder, I did know of this place though it is so far away from my home. Mr. Prabhu is an old hand when it comes to bikes in Bangalore

The Motorcycling Museum and Cafe photo gallery

https://encrypted.google.com/url?sa=...ho-O7JvD9GgFFw

Cheers
Old 10th September 2011, 21:20   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
@ Prabhu's scooter @ his Cafe I guess...TuffRyder??
editing: - out of curiosity posted before seeing KPS 's post..
well confirmed..Thanks

Last edited by powertwin : 10th September 2011 at 21:21.
Old 11th September 2011, 10:54   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you observed your Fanta's front brake lever is a " Sheet metal"(steel) one, likely of Bullet's..where the original one is a solid pressure die casted alloy!! ( Haven't seen your left side lever- not visible in the pics)
If you are interested.....I can replicate a brake lever for you , it wont be pressure die cast one....will be a Gravity cast one
Cheers!!
ps: If you can, reveal complete pics with some details, then we can at least prepare the list of required parts, for time being!!
Muthu sir I would be much obliged. I am attaching pictures of the brake levers that i took at the garage yesterday, also the original Jewel lights, and some remanats of a starter key??.regards mole
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Fantabulus?-fanta1.jpg  

Enfield Fantabulus?-fanta2.jpg  

Enfield Fantabulus?-fanta3.jpg  

Enfield Fantabulus?-fanta4.jpg  

Enfield Fantabulus?-fanta5.jpg  

Old 11th September 2011, 11:04   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some stuff was on her when she came to me like the meter, headlight, choke cable near the seat, and rear reflector. I am bit confused about the headlight a s the one on my scooter is a hella, whereas Powertwin has a miller.
Just FYI - that choke knob and cable was common to most British cars of the time, and is also present in my Standard 10 and Morris Minors. Even early Ambys.
Old 11th September 2011, 11:59   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Original RC ( Tamil Nadu - Coimbatore) of my Fantabulus is the Evidence, but dunno how far it is concrete by any standards.
will post my RC book scanned copy ., some time after this weekend discussion
powertwin, I hope we will reach a logical conclusion with our very healthy debate on the year of introduction of this unique scooter.I am quoting another evidence just below, because the Fantabulus never came with the British Smiths meters, that Royal Enfield used to liberally import in the years prior to 1966.
Quote:
Thank you Anjan da for your comments, I must confess I am quite befuddled about how to restore this beauty. Whatever I do I know I have to be very measured in my approach. Some stuff was on her when she came to me like the meter, headlight, choke cable near the seat, and rear reflector. I am bit confused about the headlight a s the one on my scooter is a hella, whereas Powertwin has a miller.

Again thanks for your inputs and looking forward to many more.
the mole: the Yenkay speedo picture posted by you was OE on the Fantabulus from day one, as the Smiths which were imported for the Bullets and Ensigns disappeared by late 1965 giving way to the Indian Yenkay speedos.Of course, the Ensign production came to an end earlier and it had made way for the Royal Enfield Sherpa by then.As I have often written, the government wanted the auto industry to cut imports and indigenise.This in fact was effective by an order that became effective by 1965 end.As a child, I got the first shock, when I got a ride in a brand new Ambassador, with a yellow number plate (WGK--), that was citrine in colour (banana yellow or auroelin) with the Smiths meters gone and the Yenkay 1+3 meters and the three warning cluster on its dash.The date was 25/01/1966 (remember) as it had to do with a solemn ocassion in the family.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 11th September 2011 at 12:07.
Old 11th September 2011, 16:52   #178
BHPian

Quote:
powertwin, I hope we will reach a logical conclusion with our very healthy debate on the year of introduction of this unique scooter.I am quoting another evidence just below, because the Fantabulus never came with the British Smiths meters, that Royal Enfield used to liberally import in the years prior to 1966.

the mole: the Yenkay speedo picture posted by you was OE on the Fantabulus from day one, as the Smiths which were imported for the Bullets and Ensigns disappeared by late 1965 giving way to the Indian Yenkay speedos.Of course, the Ensign production came to an end earlier and it had made way for the Royal Enfield Sherpa by then.As I have often written, the government wanted the auto industry to cut imports and indigenise.This in fact was effective by an order that became effective by 1965 end.As a child, I got the first shock, when I got a ride in a brand new Ambassador, with a yellow number plate (WGK--), that was citrine in colour (banana yellow or auroelin) with the Smiths meters gone and the Yenkay 1+3 meters and the three warning cluster on its dash.The date was 25/01/1966 (remember) as it had to do with a solemn ocassion in the family.
@ anjan_c2007 :
Sure I will post my Fanta'a RC book details, latest by Wednesday!!, to come to logical conclusion regarding the launch of Fantabulus

You told >>>"Fantabulus never came with the British Smiths meters, that Royal Enfield used to liberally import in the years prior to 1966."

& also >>>"the mole: the Yenkay speedo picture posted by you was OE on the Fantabulus from day one,"
You are right, no where in the Forum, we have told Speedo meter was SMITHS even in the early Fatabulus........obviously it was YENKAY as in mole's Scoot !!
Think even mole didn't have doubt...any ways thanks for additional info regarding " Smiths to Yenkay" ,piece of history
Old 11th September 2011, 17:15   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Muthu sir I would be much obliged. I am attaching pictures of the brake levers that i took at the garage yesterday, also the original Jewel lights, and some remanats of a starter key??.regards mole
A good news for mole!!
So,hereafter you need not source a " 5 position parrot nose wipac switch" for your Fantabulus( even if you source one, can pass it on to some one, who desperately need of..{LOL})
Just observe the below pictures from a manual of a 1966 Fatabulus (of course a Siba-Dyna start version)
Also the starter switch found in your scooter is the stock one( this was the order of your model machines)
So, instead of " 5 position switch" all you need, is a easily available 3 position Push, pull switch for your head light operation( as in the manual)

Also to note the Indicator lights found in your Dash>>>
It is suppose to be "Neutral indicator lamp" (Green) in the left side
& Red "ignition warning lamp" to your Right
Now here are the scanned pics from the manual >>

Just for comparison, posting the Dash set up of my 1963 Fantabulus here(note the 5 position roatary switch with key in center)>>>

Last edited by powertwin : 11th September 2011 at 17:40.
Old 12th September 2011, 18:50   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A good news for mole!!
So,hereafter you need not source a " 5 position parrot nose wipac switch" for your Fantabulus( even if you source one, can pass it on to some one, who desperately need of..{LOL})
Just observe the below pictures from a manual of a 1966 Fatabulus (of course a Siba-Dyna start version)
Also the starter switch found in your scooter is the stock one( this was the order of your model machines)
That is indeed great news sir! However have you observed that the arrangement of the ignition key switch and the pull knob is completely reverse on my scooter compared to the one that has been shown in the manual.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks