Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 4th September 2019, 23:00   #916
BHPian

Default Re: Lambretta scooter lovers here ?

In my childhood I had heard an interesting story on how Lambretta brand came to India. If my memory is right, this was narrated by the Lambretta dealer in Mangalore to my dad when they were having a casual chat during one of the service visits of our scooter.

Disclaimer: I have no proof of authenticity of this story.

Sometime after independence, M.A. Chidambaram of API (Automobile Products of India) wanted to bring scooter manufacturing to India. He travelled to Italy with the hope of acquiring the right to manufacture Vespa scooters in India under license. However, he was given a cold shoulder by the Vespa management. He was sad/depressed/disappointed by this and went to a bar there and trying to drown the disappointment with drinks. The bartender noticed this and enquired him the reason. When MAC told the bartender that he had come from India to Italy with lot of hopes to start a scooter manufacturing unit in India and now all his hopes had been dashed by the Vespa management. Hearing this, the bartender told him that they had another scooter manufacturer in Italy and giving him the address of the manufacturer asked him to try his luck there. Thus Lambretta came to India.

PS: I had been thinking about putting this on team-bhp since a long time, and every time I felt like "ajji kathe" (in Kannada which literally translates to "grandma stories") and stopped myself. Finally I decided to register this story with a disclaimer
drsk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2019, 13:59   #917
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Lambretta scooter lovers here ?

Picture from Instagram

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-lambretta.jpg
KartikeyaL is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote