Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2008, 12:58   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Karl - small correction on two tone colour - two tone colour cars were in production inside PAL
Forgive my ignorance. While I was aware that the orange and white car was painted by the factory, I was under the impression that it was a special request by the Poonawalla family.Thanks for that priceless piece of information.
Old 13th February 2008, 16:04   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
there was a model known as "Premier Padmini Special" which was made in two tone colour. There were two colour choices - "pale lilac (MMY43 walla white) with tartar Red top and C pillar"
Ah yes that does ring a bell! I do recall seeing a couple of cars in this particular combo in a couple of old South-Indian movies! Strange though that PAL thought of adapting this 2-tone combo at a time when it was becoming seemingly outdated in the rest of the world, rather than in the 60s when it wouldve been the "in" thing!

Quote:
In 1977 January, I made the first holes in the dicky to shift Premier and Padmini to the left side so that we could write - "Special" "Deluxe BE" or "Deluxe" on the right side.
Wow, its so amazing to know that you were one of those behind this badgding trend!

Incidentally I remember initially confusing pre '77 padminis with delights because of the RH side badging & also because Ive seen many delights with Premier padmini/deluxe badging wrongly fitted in place of the original ones...

Last edited by Stanher : 13th February 2008 at 16:09.
Old 13th February 2008, 16:45   #153

hey everyone....DAD has some good news for you...dad please do the honors...
Old 13th February 2008, 17:00   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Dikra - after we get it.
Old 13th February 2008, 18:51   #155
Senior - BHPian

Ohmigod!! another car???
Old 13th February 2008, 23:14   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Ohmigod!! another car???
hmm..wait and watch..maybe!!!
Old 13th February 2008, 23:41   #157
Senior - BHPian

Just one question , where in mumbai do you guys park these cars??
Old 16th February 2008, 06:57   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYRUS43 View Post

Forget the colour.

What a car.

Even if it is not painted I would buy one.
Old 18th February 2008, 19:49   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
Forget the colour.

What a car.

Even if it is not painted I would buy one.

which one are you talkin bout??the standard??

just for everyones information..bought a 1987 (Padmini Cutglass)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Just one question , where in mumbai do you guys park these cars??
on the road buddy...i am not that lucky to be gifted with parking space..

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th February 2008 at 22:57.
Old 19th February 2008, 06:53   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYRUS43 View Post
which one are you talkin bout??the standard??

Ofcourse the standard, with due respect to the fiat.
How could I leave a chance, after seeing a standard eventhough it is offtopic.Also T-BHP members would not mind me straying.By the way Stanher is writing about a Std Companion for sale in the Std cars thread.Keep watching.
Old 22nd February 2008, 09:50   #161
BHPian

checked out your latest ride cyrus
original paint still looks good
Old 22nd February 2008, 12:42   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Just to fill all you guys in - this is BLB1144 - we have purchased our sixth Fiat (we sold one, so now we have five). This is a single parsi owned 1987 model car. The paint is blue (called "Azurro" for some reason) and it is still original. The car has the quarter glasses etc, all original. The interiors are decent. The body needs some attention though.

Already following work is done on this car - brakes were not working so all new parts are fitted, now brakes work. The complete exhaust system was in sad state (the front pipe was flattened, the muffler was completely jammed, the tailpipe was about to fall off) so the complete exhaust system is changed including the S1 manifold. I have not used the expansion chamber this time. Engine parameters were sad (I do not think the tappet cover was ever opened. All valve clearances were almost zero so the engine was not developing power at all). Now all parameters are reset with new plugs etc etc and now engine is running fine. The carburettor has started acting up, so I will throw it out by next week (will be trying my new Mikuni). The AC condenser has been removed and thrown out. I will put in the new timing chain alongwith the new water pump and the "normal" fan (there is a silly huge fan now), which will restore driveability and eliminate all sorts of funny noises. The wheel rims are not OK (bolt holes are all damaged, I don't know how that happened) so those will be changed as well. I will fit the degassing tank also.

Let's see -----.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 22nd February 2008, 20:55   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just to fill all you guys in - this is BLB1144 - we have purchased our sixth Fiat (we sold one, so now we have five). This is a single parsi owned 1987 model car. The paint is blue (called "Azurro" for some reason) and it is still original. The car has the quarter glasses etc, all original. The interiors are decent. The body needs some attention though.

Already following work is done on this car - brakes were not working so all new parts are fitted, now brakes work. The complete exhaust system was in sad state (the front pipe was flattened, the muffler was completely jammed, the tailpipe was about to fall off) so the complete exhaust system is changed including the S1 manifold. I have not used the expansion chamber this time. Engine parameters were sad (I do not think the tappet cover was ever opened. All valve clearances were almost zero so the engine was not developing power at all). Now all parameters are reset with new plugs etc etc and now engine is running fine. The carburettor has started acting up, so I will throw it out by next week (will be trying my new Mikuni). The AC condenser has been removed and thrown out. I will put in the new timing chain alongwith the new water pump and the "normal" fan (there is a silly huge fan now), which will restore driveability and eliminate all sorts of funny noises. The wheel rims are not OK (bolt holes are all damaged, I don't know how that happened) so those will be changed as well. I will fit the degassing tank also.

Let's see -----.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Brakes are a common pain area on these cars isn't it?

Did this have Brakes India or the API?
Old 22nd February 2008, 22:35   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Brakes are a common pain area on these cars isn't it?

Did this have Brakes India or the API?
If Im right the API/Lockheed system discontinued in the mid 70s, switching over to the TVS Girling design.
Old 23rd February 2008, 18:31   #165

ok guys...after a LONG hibernation im bak...comps working again...

this is how the car looks like--

Note from Mod: Cyrus, this is your last warning. Avoid...typing...like...this, and recheck the post for typos/SMS before posting

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th February 2008 at 00:40. Reason: Please see note in post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks