Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2008, 10:02   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
is the Swift Grey, with either black top or with matt black bonnect with scoop and bonnet holders in stainless steel
Dont like the part in bold.

Moreover whats this thing with so many logos.
Old 11th March 2008, 20:42   #212
BHPian

My favourite was the 'Saab Gaadi' NE118 which for a very long time was put on a turntable those days. Never had the love for PPs as I have today.
ya dude i believe the last one kept was the viceroy model.
we had a '87 ne BLD 1625 which had a nissan engine and gearbox
Old 15th March 2008, 17:59   #213

Restoration Has Finally Started.
Here Are the pictures.

The work on the car has already started. The Boot is almost completed. There are a few spots of rust nothing great. At the current rate of progress, the car will be completed by the next Two weeks. It will feature a hump on the hood identica to this car.
MMY 43...my dads second rally car..... - CYRUS43's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP

At the moment, The color stands as Grey(Suzuki Swift) with a Black Roof Or a Black hood with preference to the Roof combo.
Attached Thumbnails
My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-1.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-2.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-3.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-4.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-5.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-6.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-8.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-9.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-10.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 16th March 2008, 21:06   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
- two tone colour cars were in production inside PAL - in 1977 when I was in PAL as a college trainee, there was a model known as "Premier Padmini Special" which was made in two tone colour. There were two colour choices - "pale lilac (MMY43 walla white) with tartar Red top and C pillar" and "orange with arctic white top and C pillar (MTJ5183 still has the colour on it). Upto 1976, Premier and Padmini were written on the RH side of the number plate. In 1977 January, I made the first holes in the dicky to shift Premier and Padmini to the left side so that we could write - "Special" "Deluxe BE" or "Deluxe" on the right side. .

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram,
Thank you for this piece of information. Our family owned one of the 1977 Padmini 'Special'. Untill I read your post I thought the 'special' tag on the car was just a namesake tag. I recollect it had a great two tone white and red paint job. But repainted to grey in 1983; later in 1992 to almond green. The car was part of our family for 20 years. sold her back in 1996. We had lot of memorable drives in the car. Gosh, I really wish I could have it back.
Attached Thumbnails
My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc00552.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc00559.jpg  

Attached Images

sureshkishore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2008, 22:11   #215
Senior - BHPian

I personally feel Grey n black wont be such a great combo. Try some lighter contrasting colours.
Old 17th March 2008, 01:39   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I personally feel Grey n black wont be such a great combo. Try some lighter contrasting colours.
That is exactly what i said. Please guys, Please give us some good color combinations.
Old 17th March 2008, 10:38   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Jay D and GTA - I'll tell you how I chose the colour of swift grey. You know that I have 5 cars. Two are already restored. This is the third one. My 1964 classic MRY3112 has the cream colour. I always wanted it with silver wheel rims and big whitewall tyres with the original wheel caps. The only tyres I like on the fiat are ceat safety drive for the almost infinite life that they give apart from fantastic roadholding and a supple ride (compare them to anything else and you will know what I am talking about). Unfortunately, whitewall ceat safety drive tyres are not available so I have fitted normal ceat safety drive tyres on MRY3112. With this combination, I had to go with black wheel rims to provide the balanced getup to the car, otherwise with silver wheel rims without whitewall tyres, the car would appear normal, not restored. Now what I want to do is transfer this set with black wheel rims on the LHD and buy new whitewall tyres for MRY3112 (I have super select wheelrims, no sweat there). If I can't get Ceat, then I will have to reluctantly settle for MRF twin tread which I do not like. They are very subdued and don't stand out. Now on the LHD as I am doing a "period sporty" look, I want super select black wheel rims with original wheel caps. These are good with normal ceat safety drive tyres, so I match the roof and instrument panel in black with black trim and black leather seats. Therefore, body colour cannot be black. So it has to be something contrasting and bringing the sporty theme out. That's the reason for the swift grey. I have acquired a new bonnet and my garagewallah is making a hump on it (like my previous rally car MMY43).

As an alternative, I am seriously thinking of making the LHD black- that's it. Then at least I will be able to use it.

Let's see how the whole thing goes. Please do suggest alternatives though.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 17th March 2008, 12:05   #218
BHPian

Good to see LHD period look project progressing through, I guess Behram you know where that Premier Padmini S1 badging (if it can be safely detached) is going.
Console too.
Old 17th March 2008, 12:13   #219

Instead of a Grey, why dont you try a platinum pearl color with a black top. But all said and done, the more we talk about grey and black, The more i visualise the car in that color.
Old 17th March 2008, 12:41   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Kavesh - the badging could not be salvaged. It was stuck on. You can have the centre console if I decide to knock it off which seems very likely.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

cc: Dear GTA - thanks for your comments.
Old 18th March 2008, 03:27   #221
BHPian

this is the one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeuff View Post
Guys check out my 1976 padmini, in original Golden Drop colour. This Car has never been repainted, done 91K kms in the past 32 years.
It has full service history, original and duplicate keys, the owners manual. The body has never been touched, not a spot of rust anywhere.

Truly one of a kind.
dude this is not one of a kind ...this is the one and only
the only car without a scratch , even though its sooo old, and it has actually been driven........for nearly lakh kilometers and hasn't really been standing in a closed garage all this while
and its a PAL car , without a speck of rust
the list of shockers with your car is endless

i am most certain your car is easily the most amazing and the most unique on all of team bhp
Old 18th March 2008, 16:36   #222

Some more pictures of the restoration process.
Attached Thumbnails
My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc01406.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc01405.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc01408.jpg  

Old 18th March 2008, 18:02   #223
BHPian

behram uncle i hope ur gonna save the original stickers in the boot which cam with the car
Old 18th March 2008, 20:08   #224
Team-BHP Support

This is one totally involved restoration at work, please do keep updating
Old 19th March 2008, 00:34   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael schume View Post
behram uncle i hope ur gonna save the original stickers in the boot which cam with the car
Sadly that sticker had to go as without removing it, the paint job would not have been perfect. But the plate that came on the left B pillar is still there

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks