Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2008, 09:54   #226
BHPian

This is one thread many will be checking into every day. Do keep posting detailed updates,
Old 19th March 2008, 19:31   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

An update on the LHD Fiat:

The cooling system - the cross-flow radiator was removed and when I took it for an overhaul, it just came off in my hands. As soon as the core side covers were removed, the fins just started coming off their seats. No wonder I had to keep the electric fan on almost 90% of the time (I had a switch on the dashboard), the "delta T" (or radiator efficiency as we refer to it) was pathetic / almost non-existent. So I donated the remains of the radiator to my radiatorwallah who was very happy to recieve an unexpected bonus. I shudder to think that this thing actually worked from Kottayam to Mumbai and was merrily running in Mumbai for 3 months. Now what to do ? So I have built myself a new radiator with a brand new core with 4 rows of cooling tubes with provision for the degassing tank (as usual). So I will have to perforce use a mechanical fan, which I don't like. So, I have started searching for a compatible radiator which I can package in the engine compartment. The nearest one seems to come from the Indigo Petrol. I am doing the calculations now and I am going to try this swap. I think it will work. Let's see how it goes. I'll keep you guys posted.

The fuel system - the Solex BICSA (MCS1069) has been dismantled and is in brake oil for the last 3 days. It is still oozing out dust. I think I'll have to chuck it out too. Let's see. I will be fitting the Mikuni carburettor suitable intake manifold and then I will start the engine on the Mikuni. I have 2 Mukunis out of which one is brand new. I'll have to derive the accelerator cable from the 118NE. Let's see how it goes. Obviously I will fit a fuel return line (with an inlet union on the tank) and the electronic fuel pump.

Corrosion repair - now going on in full swing. However, structural integrity is not affected. This should be completed by the month end, then pre-treatment of the body shell will start. The chassis will come out at the same time for a full repaint etc.

A roll cage ? - just thinking, why not ? How to make ? Let's see, not decided.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 19th March 2008, 19:42   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

The cooling system - So I have built myself a new radiator with a brand new core with 4 rows of cooling tubes
Will it work?! You know what I mean. Anyway it will, because it does.
Old 19th March 2008, 19:45   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Anirban - long time no hear? Where were you ? Yes, it will work. The downside is reduced clearance with the fan for which I need to verify by doing a spike test to check the powerplant movement.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 19th March 2008, 20:50   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Anirban - long time no hear? Where were you ? Yes, it will work. The downside is reduced clearance with the fan for which I need to verify by doing a spike test to check the powerplant movement.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is a spike test, how is it done?
Old 19th March 2008, 22:42   #231

Quote:

A roll cage ? - just thinking, why not ? How to make ? Let's see, not decided.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
You just made a BIG smile on my dace. Please Please do this. I BEG YOU. For old times sake. You are already paying homage to 43 with the hump. Then why not this??
Old 19th March 2008, 23:57   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA View Post
You just made a BIG smile on my dace. Please Please do this. I BEG YOU. For old times sake. You are already paying homage to 43 with the hump. Then why not this??

I think u should've taken the extra effort to get the reg number "43"!! But too late for that now i guess. Btw, have u finalized the colour scheme??
Old 20th March 2008, 00:15   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I think u should've taken the extra effort to get the reg number "43"!! But too late for that now i guess. Btw, have u finalized the colour scheme??
Naah man. Not worth the extra money. Have paid enough money anyways. And color scheme is not finalised yet.
Old 20th March 2008, 00:46   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I had e-mailed you a couple of days back, but it bounced, seems a certain SUV in India is flooding your id with complaints!!

Our car had this 4-pipe radiator since long. It was a fabricated unit built specially for the 1100/Padmini car. It has this remote sort of filler rather than the tank-top one, obstructs view of the timing mark. There is this place in Kolkata that has a lot of shops just doing radiator work. It had degenerated once, wherein the core was replaced, retaining the tanks. This time, it was done at the same shop but the owner was no more, we had trouble procuring the core.

I guess its now about time, it will start to degenerate again (cos its been long since it was restored).
Old 20th March 2008, 01:26   #235

Ohh Damn.absolutely forgot.

BLB 1144 just got FREEFLOWED by merit exhaust systems. Thank you Samad Bhai for the lovely Exhaust.
Old 20th March 2008, 11:19   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA View Post
BLB 1144 just got FREEFLOWED by merit exhaust systems. Thank you Samad Bhai for the lovely Exhaust.
do you have any pics of the same? the car had the S1 manifold and front pipes right? did he just change the glass-pack? i need pics and videos please please please

Last edited by planet_rocker : 20th March 2008 at 11:23.
Old 20th March 2008, 12:10   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
do you have any pics of the same? the car had the S1 manifold and front pipes right? did he just change the glass-pack? i need pics and videos please please please
His brother fabricated a muffler as per my spec. It is too loud though so am going to change it. It is on trial and error basis anyways. I will put up some pics of it by evening. The car did have a S1 manifold with twin pipes and a 1 3/4 inch tailpipe.
Old 20th March 2008, 23:19   #238

Here are some more restoration related pictures.
Most of the paint is out with the help of some chemical or something (god knows). Looked like paint pulp to me (lol)
Attached Thumbnails
My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc01420.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc01422.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc01424.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by aah78 : 21st March 2008 at 01:36. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 22nd March 2008, 17:46   #239

Did some house cleaning today and found a few treasures.

The Bonnet Pins were bought in 1990 and the Wheel Lock Nuts were bought in 1996 or something.
These Will go on the Left Hand Drive Most Probably.
Attached Thumbnails
My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc01427.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc01428.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc01429.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2008, 00:16   #240

Guys i need some sugesions.

1) Should we do a rollcage or not.
2) Dad wants the color to be Black. So before he finalises it, i need sugestions. PLEASE

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks