Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2008, 10:32   #196
BHPian

President / Padmini

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Thirdly, on the differences between the Premier President and the Premier Padmini, the Premier President was introduced in 1972 and continued till 1975. The Padmini was introduced in mid 1975. ALL CARS BEFORE PADMINI HAD ROUND SIDE INDICATORS. I HAVE SEEN THE DRAWINGS. Rectangular ones were introduced with the Padmini, not before.
Hi Behram,

Thanks for sharing the dates of PRESIDENT and PADMINI production.

I always knew that PRESIDENT was produced from 1972 to 1975. But was not hundred percent sure. You have confirmed the same. I remember that I was in the 5th standard in school when PRESIDENT was introduced.
My Dad bought his in 1973 from BCMA for Rs 21,018/- after a long waiting period.
We used it for almost 15 years and sold it for Rs 35,000/- . Can you imagine the car re-sale market prevailent in those times? Eversince, I've been fascinated with this beauty, and my sincere thanks to Karl once again for getting a wonderfully unique and original piece that I treasure very very much today.

Behram, your magic hands will be needed once more, to fine tune our beauty after the minor restoration that it is going through, presently.

Best regards,
Rony

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th March 2008 at 11:02. Reason: quote fixed.
Old 4th March 2008, 11:39   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like I need to clarify a few things. First of all, Cyrus, it's good to discuss all Fiats on this thread. It's of common interest, so it does not matter. However, moderators can decide finally and we must respect their decision. Second, my left hand drive is now officially Mumbai registered. It is now MH01YA3238 (it was KL05G7629). I need to collect the documents from my RTO person and then I will change the number plates. Thirdly, on the differences between the Premier President and the Premier Padmini, the Premier President was introduced in 1972 and continued till 1975. The Padmini was introduced in mid 1975. ALL CARS BEFORE PADMINI HAD ROUND SIDE INDICATORS. I HAVE SEEN THE DRAWINGS. Rectangular ones were introduced with the Padmini, not before.

All of you will be pleasantly surprised to know that I visited PAL factory for the first time somewhere in 1972 alongwith my parents as part of the shareholders visit (I was in school then). I saw brand new Premier Presidents from the first floor window of the canteen inside the factory (the final OK line was next to the canteen). The other important thing introduced on the Padmini was the "backlit instrument cluster" giving a sort of greenish glow and the changed wheel caps with circumferential depressions. The first body colour of the Padmini was lightish green. I saw the very first car delivered in Mumbai parked near 5 gardens in 1975. Incidentally, the Padmini and the blockbuster movie Sholay were released within months of each other. The Padmini in May 1975 and Sholay on 15 August 1975 in Minerva cinema in Bombay as Mumbai was then known. Also, I still remember all the cars parked inside the BCMA showroom in Opera House (there is a restaurant there now !). I used to go there, meet a particular old gentleman and buy spare parts. Oh, those days will never come back. A little bit of further nostalgia - when one of my father's friends bought a Premier Padmini "Economy" model in pale lilac (white) colour in 1986 from Maha Auto, we gave a cheque of Rs.79498.94 ON ROAD. I remember the exact amount. The registration number of that car was MFC5955.

I think I must write down my experiences within PAL from December 1976 to May 1977 and from April 1984 to June 1994. What do you suggest ? More typing at home for me.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks Behram, for enlightening that nostalgia. I dont have much memories but I remember ogling at the beuties at BCMA whenever coming back from marine drive or chowpatty. My favourite was the 'Saab Gaadi' NE118 which for a very long time was put on a turntable those days. Never had the love for PPs as I have today.
Old 4th March 2008, 12:21   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Anytime Rony. What is the "minor restoration" that you are doing ?

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 4th March 2008, 13:59   #199
BHPian

Hi Behram,

I always told you that I was uncomfortable with original suspension that had aged over on my PRESIDENT. Sure enough, I have just started working on the rear suspension and have discovered that the rear Balance Rod bushings showed some "wear and tear" as well as the rear left shock absorber is gone weak and needs replacement. I have also procured a used original PAL Fuel tank from CST road which I am fitting right now. Car may not be ready for the 9th March rally to Thane, but lets see, I'm trying to get the rear suspension completed, in order to participate.
As per your instructions, I have soaked the new pumping type SOLEX carb in brake oil for the last few days and am now planning to rinse it in Thinner and then Petrol. I will then keep it ready for your final touch and fitment.
I will post the future mini restoration updates of the PRESIDENT in my PRESIDENT thread so that we can have a continuous discussion from thereon.

Thank-you and see you on Sunday.
Old 4th March 2008, 14:01   #200
BHPian

Quote:
What do you suggest ? More typing at home for me.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

As you are aware, Mr. Dhabhar, many of us enjoy your posts and keenly look forward to your next. But it is quite obvious you are not the most enthusiastic of typists. Why don't you consider getting a voice recognition software? I have seen one called Dragon being used, and it works quite well on Indian accents too, so it should be quite easy except for names of places and models.
Old 4th March 2008, 20:40   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeuff View Post
Guys check out my 1976 padmini, in original Golden Drop colour. This Car has never been repainted, done 91K kms in the past 32 years.
It has full service history, original and duplicate keys, the owners manual. The body has never been touched, not a spot of rust anywhere.

Truly one of a kind.
I was thinking which movie I had seen that colour extensively, then I recalled.

"Rang Birangi" starring Amol Palekar and the car can be seen accelerating in the song "kabhi kuch pal jeevan ke" one of my favourites.

Quote:
The Padmini was introduced in mid 1975. ALL CARS BEFORE PADMINI HAD ROUND SIDE INDICATORS. I HAVE SEEN THE DRAWINGS. Rectangular ones were introduced with the Padmini, not before.

All of you will be pleasantly surprised to know that I visited PAL factory for the first time somewhere in 1972 alongwith my parents as part of the shareholders visit (I was in school then).
Why was the change from the round ones to the rectangular ones done? The round ones looked so much better with the car.

How old were you at that time?
Old 4th March 2008, 21:35   #202
BHPian

Very enthusiastic response

Dear All,

Thank you for such a warm welcome.

This car was purchased on 7th May 1976 in Chandigarh by a gentleman that worked in a pharmceutical company there. This was his last "company" car after which he retired and moved to Bangalore, the car was with him till 2001.
I happened to read his advertisement for sale and I was really lucky to get such a car. He was selling the car because his daughter was buying a new car and he had only one covered garage and could not bear the thought of parking it outside.

Before he sold the car to me he almost took my driving test to make sure the car went to a good home.

So on that evening in 2001 ( I was 26 years old then) I withdrew 22 crisp thousand rupee notes from the bank and picked up Betsy and brought her home.

The car had done 67000 KM then and I have had the pleasure of driving it for about 23000 odd KM since then.

It is now my second car (I drive a 1990 Mitsubishi Pajero) and drive it every other day.

I have a picture of the handbook attached below.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-img_0018.jpg  

Old 5th March 2008, 08:23   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Boeuff - that's one very good car you have. Please preserve it forever. If you need anything at all, please do ask, I will certainly help.

Hi Anirban - Round side indicators look much better to us (I have 2 on 3112 and I have 2 at home which will go on the LHD) but in the company, you know the type of -------- let's leave it at that. I was 18 years old in 1975. I am today 24 years old. I never want to cross 30.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 5th March 2008, 19:21   #204
BHPian

My brother's 1956 Landmaster

Dear Behram,

I intend to preserve the car for as long as I can. Thank you for your offer, I am sure I will get in touch if i need something.
We are a family of car and motorbike nuts. My younger brother has a 1956 Landmaster and a 1970 Jawa. Now we need a nice Herald to complete the trinity.

See picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-jawa.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 5th March 2008, 21:37   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeuff View Post
Dear Behram,

I intend to preserve the car for as long as I can. Thank you for your offer, I am sure I will get in touch if i need something.
We are a family of car and motorbike nuts. My younger brother has a 1956 Landmaster and a 1970 Jawa. Now we need a nice Herald to complete the trinity.

See picture attached.

wow!! that is a nice LANDY indeed..i think we have very few classic entusiasts from blr here.
Old 5th March 2008, 21:50   #206
BHPian

fiat 1100 rally cars

i have just completed a rebuild of the fiat 1100 rally car of the seventies.Hopefully I shall upload a picture of the car in the next few days
Old 5th March 2008, 22:45   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
i have just completed a rebuild of the fiat 1100 rally car of the seventies.Hopefully I shall upload a picture of the car in the next few days
Sure, looking forward to it!
Old 6th March 2008, 16:54   #208
CBD
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
WOW.Please upload the pics doon.Btw what shape is it? the dukkar,select/super select or delite?
Old 8th March 2008, 10:31   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Good news:
I finally got the left hand drive's registration book in hand. KL05G7629 is now officially MH01YA3238, owned by yours truly with all taxes paid and "left hand drive" written on it. It gooes for a total ground-up restoration soon.

I am trying to zero-in on the dress level as follows. Any suggestions ?:
Engine - S1 with Mikuni with exhaust manifold and expansion chamber / Cooling system - mostly I will relocate the radiator to the LH side, not yet finalised / Clutch - 118NE / Transmission - Nissan F4W56A / Propeller shaft - production / Axle - 4.3:1 / Wheels - super select wheel rims / Tyres - Ceat Safety Drive / Brakes - BIL with new master cylinder, wheel cylinders, all bundy tubes and new liners / Suspension - all new once again with new leaf springs / Electricals - Scorpio battery, new alternator, new starter motor, all new lights (140/110 watts headlights, trying my utmost to get Lucas TVS european assymetric beam pattern reflectors) / Instrument Cluster - 1964 "pattiwalla" fitted in the Padmini console (the Italian Fiat manual shows so), combination switch - Padmini Deluxe type with round covers fitted in reverse direction to provide left hand operation.

Paint and Trim:
Theme - sporty / Colour - the only colour which keeps on coming to mind is the Swift Grey, with either black top or with matt black bonnect with scoop and bonnet holders in stainless steel / Seats and trim - in black leather / Headliner - in production colour / Logos - I have 2 army and airforce logos which I am allowed to fit inside the car, so they will go on the instrument panel. WIAA and Fiat logos go on the grille whioch will be from the fiat delite made of aluminium / Bumpers - will be of Fiat Delite as well, with the long one at the back / Wheel caps - of super select / Driving lights - integrated bracket will be made during painting process.

Any suggestions ? Please revert. Karl / Anirban / Kavesh / Rony / Kiran / Shyam and others - I would looooove to get your comments.

NOW MY REAL WORK STARTS.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 8th March 2008, 11:19   #210
BHPian

Well Behram, here I go...

Technically & mechanically you know what is optimum for your car.

Coming to the others-
Firstly, the combination switch with flattened ends would complete the look as you have replaced the new type console with three meter console.

Secondly, I presume silver coloured wheels with chrome covers wil look good.

Thirdly, if possible go for the black & silver combination for the upholstery too, or silver if u wish to, more relective less absorptive hence less hotter.

Lastly & most important dont forget where you could dispose the instrument & stereo console.

Regards,

Kavesh M Kundapurkar

Most Viewed