Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2018, 10:23   #571
BHPian

Re: 12000kms, Points replacement and DC conversion DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi folks,
My Vijai Super being my dily runner to office, had lost attention due to personal & family chores piling up. Anyways it was still doing good until I felt some misfires once in a while during sudden closure of throttle from a constant speed. Gradually the occurance of misfires increased and in the last month I was never able to cross 40kmph (while it did 100kmph 6 months back). One fine evening while I was just about to reach home from office there was a loud pop and the scooter never started again. It was all because I was posponing the adjustment of points immediately after the first occurence of misfires. Well no that I am forced to open up the flywheel to replace the points, I thought it was the right time to rewire for DC setup so that I can have a battery and a better horn for daily use.
The parts you need now are
1) A new point (had 1 already)
2) 1 long & 1 short lighting coil of LML Vespa (Rs 75 each)
3) Tools - Soldering iron, screw driver, 6-7 spanner, a plier or a nose plier
Attachment 1077946
After replacing the point, unscrew the condensor. No need to de-solder the black or green wire.
Using the soldering gun de-solder the brown, red & violet wires soldered to the coils. You dont need these wires anymore. You can pull then out of the black sleeve (Keep just 1 unwanted wire in the sleeve for now).
Attachment 1077926
Attachment 1077935
The coils for Brake lamp & Tail lamp will be replaced with the coils from LML Vespa or HLighting coils of Vijai or Lamby. New Vespa lighting coils & the Lamby lighting coil are shown below
Attachment 1077936
Attachment 1077949
Carefully undo the tab that retains the brake and tail lamp coil. Take help from a friend to hold the coil plate while you slowly tap the coil out of the stator. You may use a Nylon mallet or a piece of wood and a hammer here. It is time to clean the stator plate. You may use a carburettor spray or some kerosene and an old tooth brush.
Insert the longer ligting coil into the brake light slot & the shorter one into the tail light coil slot and bend the thin steel tabs so that the coil is held tight. Be careful not to bend the tabs too much that the coil gets squeezed or the bobbin breaks. Put back the condensor in its place. The mechanicals are done and we are half way through.
Now comes the electricals. One has to de-solder that end of the OE lighting coil which is grounded. One has to connect all the 4 lighting coils in series. Care should be taken that the outer end of one coil is connected to the inner end of the neighboring coil.Attachment 1077927
Attachment 1077928.
Take 2 long wires, almost 70 cms long on the safer side & of the same core thickness as the brown wire. Solder them to the free ends of the lighting coil. Remove some insulation from the 2 new wires and wind it around the left over free wire in the sleeve and pull the new wires through the sleeve. And you are done with the coil wiring. You may use a multimeter to check for continuity of all the soldered joints and the wires.
...to be continued (with wiring an AC regulator or a Rectifier unit)
Note: This conversion could be extended to a Cento also.
Thanks a lot for the detailed job, I need a little help regarding a similar mod I need to do on my Vespa NV150(1995,non self start type),I studied the wiring diagram and found most of the electronic components same, and hence planned to install a battery, is there any additional component like "rectifier" needs to be installed or is it integrated already?
Old 12th September 2018, 15:36   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvr View Post
Thanks a lot for the detailed job, I need a little help regarding a similar mod I need to do on my Vespa NV150(1995,non self start type),I studied the wiring diagram and found most of the electronic components same, and hence planned to install a battery, is there any additional component like "rectifier" needs to be installed or is it integrated already?
Hi Silvr,
The stator plate used by me is similar to the LML Vespa part. Yes, you may use a Piaggio Ape rectifier unit. It doesn't as a standard part in a scooter without battery.
-Ilango
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 06:11   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Silvr,
The stator plate used by me is similar to the LML Vespa part. Yes, you may use a Piaggio Ape rectifier unit. It doesn't as a standard part in a scooter without battery.
-Ilango
Thanks for the guidance, do I need a charging coil too(asking as I have neen suggested the same from a local mechanic).
Old 17th September 2018, 09:33   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvr View Post
Thanks for the guidance, do I need a charging coil too(asking as I have neen suggested the same from a local mechanic).
If you are going to retain the points, then you don't need to change the charging coil.

-Ilango
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 18:36   #575
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance

Lambretta 150LD from Bangalore

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image1.jpeg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image2.jpeg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:08   #576
BHPian

Side mirrors for Vijai Super Mark 2

Hi guys.
I had a pair of Yamaha RX left side - side mirrors lying with me. And the standard side mirror in my Vijai Super Mark 2 started showing up it's age. The mirror head loosens by itself. Rusted stem. So I thought of using the Yamaha mirrors as they are also round in shape.
Faced hiccups in the threading, height and horizontal position. Bought a pair of mirror extenders from www.aliexpress.com. Ground the head of 2 button head M10 bolts to install the adapter. However the last surprise was that the handlebar-side threading were of UNC 3/8 imperial standard while the bolt i had is of metric type. Hunted around for a pair of UNC Allan bolts to suit my purpose. But, no success. Hence decided to retap the existing UNC to m10.
Installed the mirrors. At the first look I am impressed with the DIY, but the with the looks twas 50-50. For now I m going to live with this. Will look for an alternative adapter bracket in a different shape of my eyes don't get used to this adaptation.

-Ilango
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_20200101_175721.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_20200101_180009.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_20200101_180044.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_20200101_180152.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_20200101_181419.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_20200101_181501.jpg  

Old 10th January 2020, 11:06   #577
BHPian

Re: Side mirrors for Vijai Super Mark 2

Quote:
Hi guys.
I had a pair of Yamaha RX left side - side mirrors lying with me. And the standard side mirror in my Vijai Super Mark 2 started showing up it's age. The mirror head loosens by itself. Rusted stem. So I thought of using the Yamaha mirrors as they are also round in shape.
Faced hiccups in the threading, height and horizontal position. Bought a pair of mirror extenders from www.aliexpress.com. Ground the head of 2 button head M10 bolts to install the adapter. However the last surprise was that the handlebar-side threading were of UNC 3/8 imperial standard while the bolt i had is of metric type. Hunted around for a pair of UNC Allan bolts to suit my purpose. But, no success. Hence decided to retap the existing UNC to m10.
Installed the mirrors. At the first look I am impressed with the DIY, but the with the looks twas 50-50. For now I m going to live with this. Will look for an alternative adapter bracket in a different shape of my eyes don't get used to this adaptation.

-Ilango
Ilango, I feel you could have sourced a suitable side mirror which fits into the original place on the handle bar with some more hunting.
ARUN.V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 18:05   #578
BHPian

Indicator Switch for Vijai Super Mark 2

Hi Folks.
Just wanted to share a small home innovation for an OE replacement for the Vijai Super mark 2 Indicator switch. Took my brother's help in creating a cad model of the switch cover and passed on the model to a Machinist. He did a wonderful job and got the housing machined on aluminium.
Purchased a 3 position switch at an electronic store and used it for operating the indicator lamps.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-20230412_174617.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-20230412_174719.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-20230412_174702.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-20230412_174428.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks