Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 09:33   #451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneinsaan View Post
Is it possible to get a better quality of that particular packing? Or some way to prevent it from burning out?
Is the Packing Buring out or is the pipe slipping off. The later was the typical problem for these king of exhaust bend pipe connections. I had similar issues (of pipe slipping out) on my Enfield Silver plus.

For the Packing you can use a Metal tin cut to the desired size, wrap around the cylinder protruision and assemble the bend pipe. How ever if it is slipping off, you can restrict the movement of bend pipe by welding a flat and bolting the other end to suitable location.
Old 14th September 2010, 15:06   #452
BHPian

Quote:
My silencer keeps developing a leakage every month. I figured the cause, it is due to the copper foil-coated packing between the cylinder and the u-bendpipe. This part gets overheated and burns up inside with time (under the copper foil is some kind of cardboard or cotton), leading to a leakage between the cylinder and the bendpipe (the worst place to have a leakage, I believe).
Shirish,
The exhaust flange packing it made of asbestos wrapped around a copper foil. It is supposed to handle that much heat produced from the exhaust side. There should be something else faulty. Please check the following.
1. Upon removing the bend pipe, check for flatness of the bend pipe flange. Many-a-times the flange tends to bend near the mounting holes. See if this could be straightened out or else replace the bend pipe.
2. Are the threads on the studds good enough. Else the nut could slip on tightening. If so, replace the studds. In Colloquial language ask for 2 nos of 11 - no studd & nuts (probably used in autorickshaws - I bought them this way) in any 2/3 wheeler spare part shop.
3. Unpon inspecting the bend pipe flange as mentioned in (1) still if you are not convinced that the bend on the flange is too minimal to cause any mis-alignment, you can always use 2 packings 1 after the other. This will surely give a solution more durable than a single packing.
-Ilango
Old 14th September 2010, 18:04   #453
BHPian

Hi manish,
I'm quite sure it's the problem of the gasket itself as the bend pipe is not slipping out.

Thanks ilango for your suggestions.

It is most probably the quality of the gaskets i'm using is at fault. Why else would it be burnt out everytime I change it? I examined it and it was completely burnt, only the copper foil was left intact that too it crumbled. The bend pipe was brand new one and good quality, and the studs were also fine.

The material under the copper foil seems to be some kind of cardboard or something, as it is flexible. Ilango, is it possible for you to procure a few of these asbestos pieces (OE quality)?

The bend pipe seems okay, because everytime the packing is changed it works quietly until the packing burns up again.
Old 14th September 2010, 22:12   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi manish,
I'm quite sure it's the problem of the gasket itself as the bend pipe is not slipping out.
Sorry friend for giving you the wrong information and also seems like the connection is different than what I thought.
Old 2nd October 2010, 10:27   #455
BHPian

Guys,
Now after an year has past since restoration of my Vijai Super MK-I, and clocking 1700Km post restoration last week I was able to notice a small sqeeking sound from somewhere near the front wheels. Finally it turned out that it was time to grease the front suspesnion swing arm bushes. I took it to my car mechanic where he did the greasing free of cost.
I observe that the reliability curve is slowly ascending. Now-a-days scooter has become my regular mode of commutation when it doesnt rain much.
Old 28th October 2010, 11:05   #456
BHPian

Hello all, I am from chennai, and have picked up a Lamby without any papers! I am going to Restore it, and i was going thro team BHP threads, and found amazing discussions. I am initially going to get the Lamby started, ride it this winter, then start the painting after March April.
I will be needing suggestions and will be posting about the same. Kindly do help me with this.
I also need some papers for Lamby if someone is having and wanting to sell it.
thanks.
Old 1st November 2010, 23:02   #457
BHPian

Quote:
But first, let me know, when you changed the parts on the yellow Li, did it run like a vijai? Did you change the gear cluster also to the vijai one?
I remember you asking about whether it's possible to use the Vijai's gearing on a Series 2? It is a very effective conversion. Both Vijai and Series 2 have virtually the same engine. The Vijai is quicker, mainly because it has different gear ratios from the Series 2. Have just given my Lambretta to get the gearing converted to Vijai's. The guy doing the conversion has done this before, and has also converted Vespas to 4 speed. Will be getting a catalytic converter fitted too. He has done this for his Vespa, and it gives out virtually no smoke. However, he will not provide too many technical details about the work he does, so I won't be able to give you much detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Thanks for the advice, Manish! I plan to go to SP Road tomorrow. Update on my Lambretta's running problem: I fitted the Mico W5DC plug. Rode a total of 6-7 km in 2 days without any problems. Today, when I started the scooter, it was misfiring, so I decided not to ride it. So now, the spark plug has been ruled out as a cause of the problem. I'm guessing I need to check the points next?
Sorry for the late update. I sorted out the electrical problem on my Lambretta. It was the bottle coil, which sits above the rear mudguard. I'm not sure what exactly it does, can someone explain?
The bike starts in one kick now, but the pulling power is not adequate. The conversion to Vijai Super's gearing will fix this problem.
Old 2nd November 2010, 09:53   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Will be getting a catalytic converter fitted too. He has done this for his Vespa, and it gives out virtually no smoke.

It was the bottle coil, which sits above the rear mudguard. I'm not sure what exactly it does, can someone explain?
The bike starts in one kick now, but the pulling power is not adequate. The conversion to Vijai Super's gearing will fix this problem.
Seems Sid is making his Lambretta more greener with a cat-con. That is nice of you. From which vehicle is your mechanic going carry forward & modify a cat-con for your Li. Can he guarantee that there is no loss of acceleration up on fitting a cat-con.

The bottle coil or the HT (high tension) coil is simply a step-up transformer that boosts the low voltage from the magneto, high enough to make a spark jump across the spark-plug gap. Now-a-days it is really hard to find the Lucas-TVS bottle coil as seem in your scooter. Instead you may go for the HT coil used in Bajaj scooter (point-set type).

The Vijai gear ratios deliver you higher speed & no way contributes any additional power. The power comes from the engine. Engine power = Torque X Speed. You are increasing the speed with the Vijai gear ratios at the cost of torque. Torque counts for acceleration & pulling. With this mathematics I hope you realise the need to increase power and not gear ratios alone. You may try the following modifications in the same sequence.
1. Hope you have seen a tapered needle right in the middle of the carburetor slide. You can lift the needle by 1 more step upwards so that you let in more fuel for the same throttle position. If not convinced, try 2.
2. Try upsizing the existing main jet in the carburettor by a few numbers. For ex: if the existing one is of #78, you may try #85 or so. After changing the jet take the scooter for a drive and see if the engine stutters or seems like getting suffocated. In this case down size the jet by few numbers. Get a few jets in intervals of 3 or 5. Each jet would cost you about 5 to 8 Rs.
3. Go for a 22mm Mikcarb or a Jetex carburettor. But this would demand you to change the carburettor flange also.

With a dream of having a 24mm Mikuni carb of a bullet, I have procured a carb, an extra flange and the gasket set. I hope that should boost the engine power by a few decimals. Lets see. Just not finding much time for hobbies now-a-days.

All of the above end up in increase in fuel consumption, which you can compensate with the Vijai gears.

-Ilango
Old 11th November 2010, 21:12   #459
BHPian

Guys, I have had problems with my Allwyn for some time now and thought it was the carb. I've had a real good look and found the exhaust flange to be slightly oval i.e. it does not sit square on to the barrel and it causes an air leak. So much that I had to over jet my carb to compensate. Now it is fixed the main jet had to be reduced as it was flooding.

Runs great now.
Old 12th November 2010, 23:13   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
The bottle coil or the HT (high tension) coil is simply a step-up transformer that boosts the low voltage from the magneto, high enough to make a spark jump across the spark-plug gap. Now-a-days it is really hard to find the Lucas-TVS bottle coil as seem in your scooter. Instead you may go for the HT coil used in Bajaj scooter (point-set type).
Now-a-days it's really hard to find a 6V bottle coil. I've bought and stock one 2 years back for my dad's Li150.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-coil.jpg  

Old 27th November 2010, 00:34   #461
BHPian

My new Vijay Super!!

Hello Everyone.. I hope this is the right place to post this..
I am happy to announce that i have finally acquired a much awaited 1980 Vijay Super.. Posting some pictures. Please ignore the quality. In a week a or so it will be home with paperwork done.. Goint to need help for all the experts here to make it look and work like original again..
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-copy-photo0145.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-copy-photo0146.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-copy-photo0147.jpg  

Old 28th November 2010, 16:42   #462
BHPian

Finally..

Finally i am the proud owner of a Vijay Super.. Attaching the pictures when i brought her home today.. Along with her is the owner's 1963 Lambretta (incidently that is the reason why i got Vijay). I was fortunate enough to get a ride on Lambretta.. It was amazing.. The ride quality, smooth gear-shift and a pleasent exhaust note were memorable.. Wish i could get a lambretta too. :(

Well finally i am home with my Baby.. After little assessment i found out that all i have to do is,
little adjustment in handle assembly,
new speedometer assy with cable,
engine tuning,
brakes overall,
clutch and gear cable change..
I will save the paint job until she is mechanically fit.. That will give me a chance to save some money too..
Basically the engine and body are solid and no rusting..

Would like to know your views and suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-copy-photo0148.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-copy-photo0149.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-copy-photo0151.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-copy-photo0152.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-copy-photo0153.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-copy-photo0154.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 11th December 2010, 18:56   #463

Re: Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance

i hope i am not off topic here, but i saw these allwyn pushpaks/vijay supers being exploited this way in northern India these days. heroes of their heydays, a sorry picture today
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5480.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5481.jpg  

Old 11th December 2010, 19:40   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomotor View Post
i hope i am not off topic here, but i saw these allwyn pushpaks/vijay supers being exploited this way in northern India these days. heroes of their heydays, a sorry picture today
One can't do much since the folks using these are just trying earn a living with what they have. Must have found some mech or garage who did this cut-paste job with an old "kabadi" scooter!

Anyways allwyns pushpaks and vijay supers were completely built in india and there are many a thousand lying around like this all over india, and not really collectibles. Though keeping one or restoring one to its pristine glory is very commendable! IMHO The ones that are collectibles are the original Innocenti or partly italian kitted API lambrettas!

There are many threads here on T-Bhp where you can find such Lambrettas in various stages of restoration or in pristine condition!

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2011 at 14:56. Reason: No SMS language please (r = are)
Old 11th December 2010, 19:51   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomotor View Post

Whats sorry about the picture, though retired they still are serving workhorses, You will be amazed to see what kind of loads these 2 stroker pull with ease. I am happy to see at least they are not rotting away under some tree.

Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks