Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2012, 15:53   #526
BHPian

Re: Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneinsaan View Post
That is one gorgeous scoot Ilango... Any details of the long seat available? Source and cost?
Hi Shirish,
This seat was made by me. I bought 2 feet long, 2 mm thick GI sheet. Made a template out of a chart paper. Got the sheet folded along the longitudinal edges from a sheet metal pressing shop. The rest was all done by a welder as per the chart paper model. The latch is from Honda activa & the hinge is from Kinetic Honda. Sponge from a RX-100 was reshaped & cut and then taken to a rexin guy for the black cover.
GI plate - Rs 200/-
Cutting & welding - Rs 500/-
Honda activa Latch - Rs 85/-
Kinetic Honda seat hinge - Rs 20/-
Spong + Rexin work - Rs 500/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijosh View Post
I am planning to assemble the engine this weekend. Might require your inputs regarding my scoot.
With Best Regards,
Abhijeet.
Abhijeet, glad to see one more of a short frame Lambretta. All the best for your restoration. Post some of WIP pictures of you Alwyn Pushpak.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-23032012146.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-23032012147.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-23032012148.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-23032012149.jpg  

Last edited by ilangop : 1st August 2012 at 15:57. Reason: Attached picture
Old 8th August 2012, 09:31   #527
BHPian

Hi! Sure I shall post the pics once I am back in Pune. But now I desperately require a fuel tank. Probably I will get the old tank brased which has miniature pores/leakages. Please advice if I am doing something wrong.

Abhijeet.

Ilango, Where are you located in Pune? Would be great to meet you.
Old 8th August 2012, 11:06   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijosh View Post
Hi! Sure I shall post the pics once I am back in Pune. But now I desperately require a fuel tank. Probably I will get the old tank brased which has miniature pores/leakages. Please advice if I am doing something wrong.

Abhijeet.

Ilango, Where are you located in Pune? Would be great to meet you.
Abhijeet,

Petrol tank can be repaired and can be reused.Please get it Epoxy/Rubber coated from inside to avoid rust.I have done this to my two scooters and Rx100 and are perfectly fine since last 4 years.The shop is in Appa Balwant Chowk on the main signal near N.G.Naralkar institute.You can make enquiry at News paper agency there.I do not remember the name though.The person is old man and needs 4 days to get the work done.(It may take 2-3 days more so the layer gets perfectly dry,Remeber now it is rainy season )

BTW,Ilango is in Pimpari.

Once you are back in Pune,we all(Ilango,Rakesh,Shreeram,Priydarshan,myself) can meet some day to share tips and tricks for Lambrettas.
Old 8th August 2012, 11:16   #529
BHPian

Yaa Its Loong time since we had any Lambretta Club Meet...
Old 10th August 2012, 15:26   #530
BHPian

Yes, I have done the epoxy coating for my roadking tank, but donot know the vendor, since I had got it done from my mechanic who took the tank to the concerned person. By the way I am in Pune on all weekends. So let me know when we plan for a meet.

With Best Regards,
Abhijeet.
Old 29th October 2012, 16:48   #531
BHPian

Hi Guys,

So as mentioned in earlier posts, that I was assmebling my Allwyn Pushpak (Actually it is my uncle's scooter..very dear to him). I have almost finished the assembly. Took a test ride this sunday, and was impressed patting my back myself a couple of times. For now a few of the before and present picks.

A special thanks to Ilango here. Would bother you again for some spares.
All your expert comments are welcome to make the scooter even better.

In some pics you may see the three generations involved. Sorry I am clicking the pics, so only two generations visible in the pics. Passion runs in the blood after all.

With Best Regards,
Abhijeet.[/quote]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Allwyn Pushpak scooter.pdf (361.1 KB, 352 views)
abhijosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 13:24   #532
BHPian

12000kms, Points replacement and DC conversion DIY

Hi folks,
My Vijai Super being my dily runner to office, had lost attention due to personal & family chores piling up. Anyways it was still doing good until I felt some misfires once in a while during sudden closure of throttle from a constant speed. Gradually the occurance of misfires increased and in the last month I was never able to cross 40kmph (while it did 100kmph 6 months back). One fine evening while I was just about to reach home from office there was a loud pop and the scooter never started again. It was all because I was posponing the adjustment of points immediately after the first occurence of misfires. Well no that I am forced to open up the flywheel to replace the points, I thought it was the right time to rewire for DC setup so that I can have a battery and a better horn for daily use.
The parts you need now are
1) A new point (had 1 already)
2) 1 long & 1 short lighting coil of LML Vespa (Rs 75 each)
3) Tools - Soldering iron, screw driver, 6-7 spanner, a plier or a nose plier
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-21042013490.jpg
After replacing the point, unscrew the condensor. No need to de-solder the black or green wire.
Using the soldering gun de-solder the brown, red & violet wires soldered to the coils. You dont need these wires anymore. You can pull then out of the black sleeve (Keep just 1 unwanted wire in the sleeve for now).
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-21042013491.jpg
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-21042013493.jpg
The coils for Brake lamp & Tail lamp will be replaced with the coils from LML Vespa or HLighting coils of Vijai or Lamby. New Vespa lighting coils & the Lamby lighting coil are shown below
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-21042013494.jpg
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-21042013495.jpg
Carefully undo the tab that retains the brake and tail lamp coil. Take help from a friend to hold the coil plate while you slowly tap the coil out of the stator. You may use a Nylon mallet or a piece of wood and a hammer here. It is time to clean the stator plate. You may use a carburettor spray or some kerosene and an old tooth brush.
Insert the longer ligting coil into the brake light slot & the shorter one into the tail light coil slot and bend the thin steel tabs so that the coil is held tight. Be careful not to bend the tabs too much that the coil gets squeezed or the bobbin breaks. Put back the condensor in its place. The mechanicals are done and we are half way through.
Now comes the electricals. One has to de-solder that end of the OE lighting coil which is grounded. One has to connect all the 4 lighting coils in series. Care should be taken that the outer end of one coil is connected to the inner end of the neighboring coil.Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-27042013497.jpg
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-27042013498.jpg.
Take 2 long wires, almost 70 cms long on the safer side & of the same core thickness as the brown wire. Solder them to the free ends of the lighting coil. Remove some insulation from the 2 new wires and wind it around the left over free wire in the sleeve and pull the new wires through the sleeve. And you are done with the coil wiring. You may use a multimeter to check for continuity of all the soldered joints and the wires.
...to be continued (with wiring an AC regulator or a Rectifier unit)
Note: This conversion could be extended to a Cento also.

Last edited by ilangop : 27th April 2013 at 13:26.
ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 00:25   #533

Hi Guys,

I'm restoring a lambretta li series 2 scooter and am badly in need of its parts and spares.If anyone across any city have stocked them I'm ready to buy and get them shipped.Quoting a few below.

1.Carburetor.
2.Bore piston
3.Clutch plates
Old 17th May 2013, 16:18   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursedcrusader1 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm restoring a lambretta li series 2 scooter and am badly in need of its parts and spares.If anyone across any city have stocked them I'm ready to buy and get them shipped.Quoting a few below.

1.Carburetor.
2.Bore piston
3.Clutch plates
Hi Crusader, Welcome to the forum. Since you are from Hyderabad, first thing is to get in touch with Shyam in this Lambretta forum. He is also from hyderabad. He can help with you with parts you need.
Also,
1) For Li150 carburettor, get into any 3 wheeler spare parts shop and ask for Bajaj Rickshaw carburetor "Old type". They are 1 & the same.
2) For bore & clutch plates, Shyam should be able to help you out.
FYI - The Gujrat made 3 wheeler, Atul Shakti shares the clutch parts with Vikram 200 or Lambretta. So please check if any dealer is close by your place and get all the clutch parts (Inner bell, Cork plates, Pressure plates, Clutch umbrella & its cap, Clutch springs, Clutch bearings, lock).
http://www.atulauto.co.in/site/deale...-a-dealer.html
Hope this helps.

Regards,
-Ilango
Old 18th May 2013, 14:45   #535

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi Crusader, Welcome to the forum. Since you are from Hyderabad, first thing is to get in touch with Shyam in this Lambretta forum. He is also from hyderabad. He can help with you with parts you need.
Also,
1) For Li150 carburettor, get into any 3 wheeler spare parts shop and ask for Bajaj Rickshaw carburetor "Old type". They are 1 & the same.
2) For bore & clutch plates, Shyam should be able to help you out.
FYI - The Gujrat made 3 wheeler, Atul Shakti shares the clutch parts with Vikram 200 or Lambretta. So please check if any dealer is close by your place and get all the clutch parts (Inner bell, Cork plates, Pressure plates, Clutch umbrella & its cap, Clutch springs, Clutch bearings, lock).
http://www.atulauto.co.in/site/deale...-a-dealer.html
Hope this helps.

Regards,
-Ilango
Thanks a lot for the information Ilango.
I will right away check those stores today for the Carb.
I called atul auto and most were either switch off or numbers changed.

I don't have pm facility right now.Can you pm me his email/mobile number with his permission.
Old 5th June 2013, 19:14   #536
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys

I love Lambrettas, but have been a silent reader of the Lambretta threads till now.

I have a 1964 Lambretta Li150 and a 1979 Lamby 150, both of which need a lot of TLC.

My Li150, somewhere in the 49 years of life seems to have lost its original side panels to those of a later Lamby. They do not have the external levers for opening the panels.

Two questions for the classic scooter veterans here.

(1) Are the side panels different except for the hole of the levers? If no, then is it not enough if I get the holes made in the existing panels?

(2) Can anyone help me source a pair of side handle and locking mechanism assy? Or do I have to get it from ebay?

Sorry for the noob questions. My experience till date is limited to motorcycle restorations.

Although I have had the scooters for more than 5 years now, never was in town to ride them. They need my attention.

Thanks in advance!
Old 5th June 2013, 20:52   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Hello guys

I love Lambrettas, but have been a silent reader of the Lambretta threads till now.

I have a 1964 Lambretta Li150 and a 1979 Lamby 150, both of which need a lot of TLC.

My Li150, somewhere in the 49 years of life seems to have lost its original side panels to those of a later Lamby. They do not have the external levers for opening the panels.

Two questions for the classic scooter veterans here.

(1) Are the side panels different except for the hole of the levers? If no, then is it not enough if I get the holes made in the existing panels?

(2) Can anyone help me source a pair of side handle and locking mechanism assy? Or do I have to get it from ebay?

Sorry for the noob questions. My experience till date is limited to motorcycle restorations.

Although I have had the scooters for more than 5 years now, never was in town to ride them. They need my attention.

Thanks in advance!
Hey nice to hear from another Lambretta owner. I too have a 1964 Li150. You can see the difference in side panels of a lamby and lambretta. Lamby will have an impression and a piece of trim in the center of side panels whereas Li will have a clean panel. I have attached here pictures of both.

For some reason even my lambretta came without those levers, though with correct side panels. I am not particularly fond of those internal mechanisms. And i havent yet figured out how to undo that change. You will find a small projection on the side panel where those levers sit.
I hope i was somewhat helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-3826780775_59d3d991ca.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lam150li2.jpg  

Old 5th June 2013, 21:54   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post

Hey nice to hear from another Lambretta owner. I too have a 1964 Li150. You can see the difference in side panels of a lamby and lambretta. Lamby will have an impression and a piece of trim in the center of side panels whereas Li will have a clean panel. I have attached here pictures of both.

For some reason even my lambretta came without those levers, though with correct side panels. I am not particularly fond of those internal mechanisms. And i havent yet figured out how to undo that change. You will find a small projection on the side panel where those levers sit.
I hope i was somewhat helpful.
Hello Priyadarshan

Thank you for the reply.

You know what? My Lambretta also came with the same, clean side panels as yours (the ones in the picture). My Lamby has the other panels with the trim.

The thing is, I couldn't find any evidence of the holes being welded up - I mean, no projections at all. I am sure it was done a very long time ago since the scooter was last repainted many moons ago.

Could it be that our scoots came like this from the factory?

And if they did not, is this handle and mechanism easy enough to procure in India?

Cheers

Last edited by Viju : 5th June 2013 at 21:59.
Old 6th June 2013, 01:00   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Hello Priyadarshan

Thank you for the reply.

You know what? My Lambretta also came with the same, clean side panels as yours (the ones in the picture). My Lamby has the other panels with the trim.

The thing is, I couldn't find any evidence of the holes being welded up - I mean, no projections at all. I am sure it was done a very long time ago since the scooter was last repainted many moons ago.

Could it be that our scoots came like this from the factory?

And if they did not, is this handle and mechanism easy enough to procure in India?

Cheers
I am guessing it shouldnt be too hard to get these mechanisms. But the real trouble would be how to install it. It will involve some fabrication work. If you find out how to do it, do let me know.
Do post some pictures of your scooters.
Priyadarshan
Old 14th June 2013, 13:58   #540
BHPian

Whats makes a Practical Lambretta?

Hi all,
Since this thread was started, quite a large number of folks have acquired & restored a hand full of scooters sharing the Lambretta DNA. We have criticised and applauded people at the right moments. Well, this thread hasn't seen much activity for quite some time. I guess, you people would have ran-in, covered a few thousand kms, went through the rituals or servicing & replacing the consumables, and so on. I would like to ask you or share your experience with your scooter. After getting the scooter in proper shape, how many of you taken efforts to have the proper papers and have all documents (ownership transfer, insurance, Pollution tax if applicable in your location, Registration transfer if the scooter was bought from another state) in place? Has it been used regularly or at least over the weekends, or only during a meet or a rally, or else the passion has gone down and your mind is over something else.
Here is my story. After restoration I had been using 5% 2T oil till about 5K kms, and then after 4%. It has covered almost 12K kms on the road. I wouldn't call it a very practical scooter though I use it to office daily. Yes, I have transferred the scooter to my name immediately after restoration, and also had to shell out 2K for the green tax. Took care that the scooter was never on-road without a valid insurance. Over all, it was & is a nice experience to have my Vijai Super a daily commuting bike.
But, here are some of -ve aspects pretty much related to design of the scooter itself. SIL should have included a front suspension damper. The fuel tank rusk is sporadic. I had cleaned the tank thrice, but no success. Fine rust particles fill the path for reserve fuel in the fuel tap, and replacing the tap was the only option. Finally had to coat the tank with an Anabond NC coating material. But there is also an Epoxy coating option. The AC horn is really too feable for PUne folks. Changed it to a AC/DC horn which has a shrill sound. Still it is hidden inside the horn grill only.
The first Delhi made Clutch plates showed a premature failure & the pressure plate (again Delhi made) was a refurbished one which was thinner than the original one. SO it was natural that the clutch slipped. Got them replaced with SIL stamped Clutch & pressure plates from friend in Lucknow.
The Veglia look-alike speedo was actually harvesting rainwater. Initally the needle wouldn't come up till I did 20mph (not kmph). At present both the needle & odo stopped working. The cables & gears are fine.
The flat slide Jetex carb was a crap. The idle was erratic due to a work out slide, and a NOS slide did no difference. Over use, the slide top cover gradually generated a crack and thats when I had to grab a used Jetex carb and make 1 good one out of 2 bad ones. It occured to me once, why still go after this crap while there are plenty of better crabs in the market. So I ended up modifying the intake manifold and running on a 24mm Mikuni carb (VM24 - the one used in RE350) rather than the 22mm Jetex.
All these made my scooter more practial, still retaining the classical exterior looks. So what I need now? A better gear ratios for less revs per km& and a robust ignition system (CDI or TCI).
For a better gearing, I am swapping the Li150 gears inside my Vijai. Also the 15 teeth crank sprocket is swapped with one with 17 teeth. This mod requires 81 links in the chain as against 80 link standard. Introducing an extra link is no big deal when there are inductrial suppliers all around my place. I shall be adapting the TVS king rickshaw's TCI in my scooter.
The only left over bit is the clutch sprocket. I have serious concerns over the shim under the clutch big bell. This part needs some improvement so that the lateral movement or side wobble of this bell is reduced and clutch life could be improved.
Guys, please share the problems you had faced and the solutions for the same. It would be nice if you could disclose some engineering improvments which would reduce the servicing intervals in our scooters.
Attached is a WIP picture of my engine & the chain with the added link. Ofcourse the pin & cotter will be replaced with a rivetted link. the cut in the magneto housing is for a starter motor. But this revision will be only with better gears & TCI.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-23052013522.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-23052013521.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks