Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2009, 12:59   #76
BHPian

HEy Pavan.

The bus is turning out to be great. Nice to see the paint job bring the bus in better looks now.

The bus is going to have loads and loads of space and can be an ideal big family ride.

All the best.

Last edited by leadf00t : 19th February 2009 at 13:08.
Old 19th February 2009, 13:48   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Using a M-800 carburetor will not change the basic essence of the Air-cooled VW, it'll only run better
Can you explain to us why a 800cc 3 cylinder carburettor will work better than a 4 cylinder significantly larger capacity carb? I will particularly benefit from this as I too am restoring a Bug, though on original carb.
Old 19th February 2009, 15:23   #78
Senior - BHPian

The amount of time and energy spent on these restoration works are beyond my understanding, although I always dream of doing something like this for my own use. Pawan, where did you find this bus first time ? I hope oneday I will be able to see your precious works and get some inspiration.

Are you keeping the seats (back rows) in original positions or trying to modify the locations ? I have never seen a VW mini-bus in real, but familiar through some movies.
Old 19th February 2009, 16:36   #79
BHPian

Hey Pavan this looks awesome.

Many questions spring to my mind, where in bangalore did u source the microbus. who is your painter and mechanic. i have a 12 year old uno which needs a little work on the engine, unable to find the right contact though.

ive been seeing pictures in some magazines abotu a new version of the microbus which VW is planning to introduce, its shows great tribute to the original.

is all this work being done in bangalore itself??
Old 19th February 2009, 17:50   #80
Senior - BHPian

Some Pics !

I found some pics that might be of interest to you Pavan. I am still waiting to hear from you about where you found your mini ?

Look at this guy !!!
Restoration of 1971 VW Baywindow Microbus: Restoration Complete-vwscooter.jpg

This might help.
Restoration of 1971 VW Baywindow Microbus: Restoration Complete-vwmini.jpg

Last edited by shajufx : 19th February 2009 at 17:52.
Old 19th February 2009, 20:26   #81
BANNED

@Leadfoot- Thank you, yes the bus actually is really huge.

@shajufx- Thank you, Yes i will retain a 100% stock setting for seating inside the Bus. But planning one refrigerator and electric stove which will come in handy on a picnic. UPS work inside is almost done : )

@ Sharanramesh- My mechanic might be able to help you fix the Uno, he's exceptionally good with automobiles, PM me any time, will lead him to you. Well this Microbus was purchased by a gentleman from Hubli, who also owns a Baywindow crew cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Can you explain to us why a 800cc 3 cylinder carburettor will work better than a 4 cylinder significantly larger capacity carb? I will particularly benefit from this as I too am restoring a Bug, though on original carb.

Hi Karl,

Thanks for dropping by the thread.

As per my mechanic, the M-800/118NE/Carb Zen and 1000, share a similar designed carburettor, which infact has better carburetion capabilities. I have settled for Zen carb presently. I have the original 34PICT-2 carb for this bus, will reverse if required.

The bus engine is a 1600 cc twin port, might even get a twin carb set-up with 2 Zen carburettor.We had infact earlier experimented the same on a 1200cc Bug, and this carburettor made the bug run better than with the 30 PICT original carb.

My Bug runs on the original 32 PICT 2 carb presently and runs fine.

Will update about this modification's effectiveness once the Bus starts to run.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 19th February 2009 at 20:31.
Old 20th February 2009, 09:44   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well this Microbus was purchased by a gentleman from Hubli, who also owns a Baywindow crew cab.

Will update about this modification's effectiveness once the Bus starts to run.
Wow, exciting to hear about the crew cab. Any more details/pics to share?
Old 20th February 2009, 09:53   #83
Senior - BHPian

Pavan,

Kudos to you and the passion you have!! I wish the VW the same luck as you did to your Willys!! Great going!! Keep up the spirit!
Old 20th February 2009, 11:47   #84
BHPian

Thats a real master piece in the making Pavan. Eagerly waiting for the restoration to complete. Cheers
Old 24th February 2009, 22:57   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Pavan,

Kudos to you and the passion you have!! I wish the VW the same luck as you did to your Willys!! Great going!! Keep up the spirit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
Thats a real master piece in the making Pavan. Eagerly waiting for the restoration to complete. Cheers
Thank you all for encouraging words

At the fag end of my restoration, i am already nervous and not able to get enough sleep over the thought of seeing the final result.

The inner wheel arches have already see the paint as on date and its time maybe by this weekend the bus might get its final coat of paint : ).

COLOR:

Top and pillars - Will get the ivory shade
Side body panels - Zitrus(yellow)

Excited today since i got the original shade by a dupont dealer in Bangalore today. Luck By Chance to have found him today. Its a German book with all german car colors properly dated.

Will keep you guys updated .....
Old 1st March 2009, 14:00   #86
Senior - BHPian

How is it going Pavan ? Final coats are done ?

Btw, I saw your bug at Mathikere today around 6.15am while I was on the way to church. It came behind my wagonR on the Gokula flyover, I thought it was an ambassodor from the headlights, gave way and once you passed, I see the yellow bug with the writing 'KADAM' on the rear windshield !! I wanted to honk or flash and stop you (to get a glance of the first team-bhpian recognized in my life ever !!), but wifee stopped me from speeding (she is due in just 45 days !). And I am sure she would not understand the kind of discussions we have in the forum and the number of people involved ! So, I thought may be next time.

How do we stop another bhpian on the road specially at that time ? 3 flahes and a honk ? Or 3 honks and a flash ?
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:29   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
How is it going Pavan ? Final coats are done ?

Btw, I saw your bug at Mathikere today around 6.15am while I was on the way to church. It came behind my wagonR on the Gokula flyover, I thought it was an ambassodor from the headlights, gave way and once you passed, I see the yellow bug with the writing 'KADAM' on the rear windshield !! I wanted to honk or flash and stop you (to get a glance of the first team-bhpian recognized in my life ever !!), but wifee stopped me from speeding (she is due in just 45 days !). And I am sure she would not understand the kind of discussions we have in the forum and the number of people involved ! So, I thought may be next time.

How do we stop another bhpian on the road specially at that time ? 3 flahes and a honk ? Or 3 honks and a flash ?
Sorry dude,

Its real difficult to know a fellow Bhp'ian on road , i think we'll stick to 3 honks and a flash

Was returning back home from the T-BHP OTR meet yesterday.

About the bus, i've already finished the final coats of paint on the first half of the vehicle (WHITE). it'll take almost 2 days time for masking the bottom half for painting the yellow.

By this weekend i presume it'll finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of 1971 VW Baywindow Microbus: Restoration Complete-p3013147.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 2nd March 2009 at 12:30.
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:45   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry dude,

Its real difficult to know a fellow Bhp'ian on road , i think we'll stick to 3 honks and a flash
Pavan by the time you hit 3 Honks the guy would have passed you, it is better 3 Flash and a Honk...
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:49   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i think we'll stick to 3 honks and a flash Was returning back home from the T-BHP OTR meet yesterday.
Returning home after the t-bhp meet at 6.15am ? I always thought the meets end by dinner !! The picture is too good, it looks like the bug has come down to take a leak !

Eagerly waiting to see the finished VW mini project, is it not the first mini-bus project on t-bhp ? I hope we will have an annual meet and awards ceremony for 'best ..... of the year' in different categories !
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:58   #90
BHPian

Pavan, where are the updates on the bus man. thought i would see u at the sarjapur meet!

we need some pictures of the bus with the new paint!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks