Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2008, 12:43   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
B & T just reminded us about the ICE Setup Steer was considering a while back , did you bother looking for that Panasonic Valve amp based HU ?
Yeah, it's proving painfully difficult to procure. Still on it though.
Old 6th September 2008, 02:22   #77
Senior - BHPian

Powersteering fitted today and working without an issue (reported). The unit is from a Ford import that was scrapped after the car got run over from behind by a tanker lorry, and cost Rs.13,500 as the car and therefore the unit itself was pretty new.

Disc Brakes going on tomorrow (or may have happened tonite) - they had to make some more changes after trying to fit it this morning.

Engine bay modifications to widen the gearbox 'bell' were completed and the engine remounted yesterday.

All door locks were changed as were the window winders.

Windshield washer nozzle fitted onto bonnet, rest of the mechanism including the water pump and reservoir will go in tomorrow but they are yet to find a variable-speed motor for the wipers. If they dont find any soon they will have to put in a 2-speed from the Amby instead.

They're rushing to meet the Onam deadline, looks like most of the major work will be completed tomorrow.

Vehicle will remain with the current dashboard as the stuff from the UK is still in transit. Another visit will be required in any case for the side chrome trims to be fitted on, dash and steering wheel can be fitted then.
Old 6th September 2008, 11:32   #78
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Great to see some real progress on the car. Any chance of seeing it in cochin this onam?
Old 6th September 2008, 14:35   #79
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE

We have the answer to one of Rudra's questions on the original thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...tml#post876072

i.e., how were the wheelbolts relocated to make the car take Gypsy wheels.

The answer was given by my mechanic today when he explained why the disc brakes are taking so long:

The wheel bolts had been BENT/HAMMERED to change PCD & take the Gypsy wheels.

And we drove this car from Bangalore to Cochin with an 8-year-old sitting in it! What if one of the bolts had given way enroute????

So now they've taken the 4 wheel hubs to the lathe to redo the whole thing.

Last edited by Steeroid : 6th September 2008 at 14:37.
Old 6th September 2008, 14:40   #80
BHPian

Wow that wheel bolt story looks scary, hope this time the car comes out well with flying colours .
Old 6th September 2008, 19:16   #81
BHPian

wow! and you guys tried out some good speeds with that! 130 or so if i remember correctly! now we realize that was pretty dangerous! thank God we know now!
Old 6th September 2008, 19:52   #82
Team-BHP Support

Time and again it is noticed that members are discussing violent ways of getting back to the original restorers of this car. Such kind of talk will not be tolerated on the forum. In future such posts will be infracted. - Admin Staff
Old 7th September 2008, 22:37   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
UPDATE

The answer was given by my mechanic today when he explained why the disc brakes are taking so long:

And we drove this car from Bangalore to Cochin with an 8-year-old sitting in it! What if one of the bolts had given way enroute????

So now they've taken the 4 wheel hubs to the lathe to redo the whole thing.
Well it is a credit that to their skills that you guys could cruise so smoothly and not feel a vibration or a thing. Bending bolts to that level requires a lot of skills!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2008, 23:14   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Well it is a credit that to their skills that you guys could cruise so smoothly and not feel a vibration or a thing. Bending bolts to that level requires a lot of skills!
Skill?? Nonsense!!!! The whole blinking thing had so many things rattling and falling off that one was too busy to pinpoint it to a specific location..
Old 7th September 2008, 23:36   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Yup - PERFECTLY bent bolts

I'm sure it took a few days to bend them so perfectly, which would of course have to be reflected in the man-days charged to my account - what price perfection?
Old 8th September 2008, 13:22   #86
BANNED

Quote:

Wow! This is the first time that i'm hearing about such a process!

Heights of.....

Thank god everyone made it safe to Cochin with those bent wheel bolts!
Old 8th September 2008, 15:17   #87
Senior - BHPian

Work completed, car going out for first test drive in an hour. Hopefully they will be able to iron out any issues by tomorrow as originally committed.

Straightening the steering column from its regular Amby/Land-like rightward tilt took some time.
Old 8th September 2008, 16:11   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Straightening the steering column from its regular Amby/Land-like rightward tilt took some time.
Forgive my ignorance, but does the conventional tilted coloumn give cause for concern?
Old 8th September 2008, 16:49   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but does the conventional tilted coloumn give cause for concern?
It is a problem for me - I end up putting most of my (considerable) weight to one side (i.e., the right) while driving and after a reasonably long distance I find it painful.

This may not be the case for most others - its just that I HAVE to keep my spine perfectly straight if I'm sitting for long periods of time. I cannot afford RSI on my spine - opening it up once is good enough, thank you.

I miss the Safari's seats on this car - those are the BEST seats I'v used till date, except for those on the Mondeo. That includes sundry Mercs and my current Jag (which I havent reconciled to so far, despite its 16-way adjustable seat).
Old 8th September 2008, 16:56   #90
BANNED

Oh my GOD!
These kind of special restoring/repairing skills should be informed to the whole world before somebody else will also be given the same benefit. Ain't it?
Dangerous! Very dangerous.

I'd better get out of here before I get infracted.

Congratulations on getting all the works completed Steer! Wish you all the best ahead.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed