Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2008, 01:10   #91
Senior - BHPian

Amazing job Amol. Great detailing. This always helps. Im sure your car will stand out of the pack. Good progress too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Just came back from the place, apparently the glass reservoir is available, he'll have too search for it.
About the handles, i assume you'd need both from the rear doors and for which side for the front?
The chrome beading for the doors can be sourced too he said.
I'll get a snap of the horn button tomorrow.
Ill gladly lap up whatever Amol will not need
Thanks in anticipation.
Old 21st December 2008, 18:57   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Amazing job Amol. Great detailing. This always helps. Im sure your car will stand out of the pack. Good progress too.

Ill gladly lap up whatever Amol will not need
Thanks in anticipation.
will you just be studying or kaam bhi chaloo karega? Where is the dukkar twin?

BTW as discussed I am attaching rear seat detail of the original poona dukkar, please note I am told the front seat is not original. I suspect Indian pamphlets. I was dissapointed as I had always wanted to make the seats two tone, but originality rules so plane jane seats it is
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of MTP 8389 a 1956 Fiat 1100-fiat101.jpg  

Restoration of MTP 8389 a 1956 Fiat 1100-fiat12.jpg  

Old 22nd December 2008, 10:13   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post

Also time to start looking at the interiors, I found the original seats beneath all the velvety stuff that existed when i got the car, you can see the original pattern on the rear seat back, also thank god all the aluminum trim for all the seats is in place. Difficult to fabricate it. i was quite surprised to find the original upholstery in a brown/tan shade i was expecting greyish blue upholstery like the famous peacock blue car in pune.

Okay guys i need your help...can someone post pictures of the type of ashtray behind the front seat? mine is missing.
The brown/tan colour was also very much offered. Badamikar's, Prabal's and Srini's car all have this colour and pattern. This is Badamikars redone upholstry, matching the original that was with the car.

Restoration of MTP 8389 a 1956 Fiat 1100-badamikar02.jpg

The Pune blue car doesn't seem to have an ashtray on the original front seat backrest, so maybe they weren't yet offered here. I don't really have any pics of ashtrays on Dukkars, here is one on a Select. It would probably have originally been chrome in 56, let me try digging up pics for you.

Restoration of MTP 8389 a 1956 Fiat 1100-fiat13.jpg

Quote:
BTW as discussed I am attaching rear seat detail of the original poona dukkar, please note I am told the front seat is not original. I suspect Indian pamphlets. I was dissapointed as I had always wanted to make the seats two tone, but originality rules so plane jane seats it is
For the Pune car the front seat got some black patchwork done covering the flat areas, and the rear bottom got similar treatment. The rear backrest is original, and perfect for matching. Also note same material carries over to sidepanels and the protion covering rear wheelwells.
Old 22nd December 2008, 13:59   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The brown/tan colour was also very much offered.

The Pune blue car doesn't seem to have an ashtray on the original front seat backrest, so maybe they weren't yet offered here.
Can you ask Badamikar if his car was originally in two tone, or just plain tan/ brown upholstery. Also is there a corelation between body colour and upholstery colour, I would think blue upholstery would look better on a blue car and tan on a black car. I would think even the Tan would have contrasting beige cream accents, below door and dashboard.

Also do we know of any other dukkars which had rear ashtrays, it may have been added in MTP 8389 at a later date!
Old 22nd December 2008, 14:59   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you ask Badamikar if his car was originally in two tone, or just plain tan/ brown upholstery. Also is there a corelation between body colour and upholstery colour, I would think blue upholstery would look better on a blue car and tan on a black car. I would think even the Tan would have contrasting beige cream accents, below door and dashboard.

Also do we know of any other dukkars which had rear ashtrays, it may have been added in MTP 8389 at a later date!
The upholstry was single colour if I remember right. Will ask him to clear doubt. I agree with you on the fact of tan on black cars and blue on blue cars. Yup, you should definitely have the contrasting off white stripe on the bottom on the doors even with tan.

Give me a photo of the rear of the front backrest to better examine presence of ashtrays.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of MTP 8389 a 1956 Fiat 1100-r03.jpg  

Old 22nd December 2008, 15:14   #96
Senior - BHPian

@ Amol- The twin is still in its original home. Im getting it this week fro immediate work.

These are the other options offered in seat patterns. What it was for India, im not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of MTP 8389 a 1956 Fiat 1100-int1.jpg  

Restoration of MTP 8389 a 1956 Fiat 1100-fiat-interior.jpg  

Restoration of MTP 8389 a 1956 Fiat 1100-fiat03g.jpg  

Restoration of MTP 8389 a 1956 Fiat 1100-interior5.jpg  

Restoration of MTP 8389 a 1956 Fiat 1100-rearint.jpg  

Old 23rd December 2008, 20:45   #97
Senior - BHPian

Okay Guys look at the two pictures (they are from my owners manual), One is a LHD car it has interiors which is similar to the peacock blue car, even the upholsterey below the dashboard has a vertical pattern that is identical to the poona car and most cars you see in italy. It has the two tone door panel. The seat here is two tone, like one of the seats in Gogi's references.

Now look at the RHD car, It has interiors very similar to badamikars car, the dash has no patterned upholstery and the doors are plain single tone, the seat also (what ever can be seen is single tone).

I can only draw two conclusions that either two tone upholstery (for dash and door) was an option, or two tone pattern in the poona car was a later addition. We know that the poona car also has single tone seats, so we can assume that two tone seats never came in india.

What say Karlos ,Gogi?
Attached Images

Old 23rd December 2008, 21:54   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can only draw two conclusions that either two tone upholstery (for dash and door) was an option, or two tone pattern in the poona car was a later addition. We know that the poona car also has single tone seats, so we can assume that two tone seats never came in india.

What say Karlos ,Gogi?
Like I've said before, we should not expect a hard and fast rule that a particular spec was the only spec offered in the model life of the car. Various changes on the assembly lines would have take place depending on vendors/suppliers, left over parts from Italy etc. So these kind of discrepancies are expected, especially in a nascent market like India at that time. I agree on the single tone seats, (I also like that better). I would recommend two tone panels and dash portion though, to add some contrast.

The vertical stripe imprint on the dash was a charateristic of 58-64 Select and Super Select in India, have never seen it on a dukkar. A 62 with original interiors is illustrated below.

Restoration of MTP 8389 a 1956 Fiat 1100-07.jpg
Restoration of MTP 8389 a 1956 Fiat 1100-09.jpg
Restoration of MTP 8389 a 1956 Fiat 1100-10.jpg

Srini's car has reached Bombay, and it curiously has tan leather upholstry in the original pattern! Obviously done later, but very cool.
Old 23rd December 2008, 22:23   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Also forgot to mention that front seat ash trays probably never came on dukkars.

Here is a restored car in Europe
Restoration of MTP 8389 a 1956 Fiat 1100-millecento50.jpg

A dutch brochure.
Restoration of MTP 8389 a 1956 Fiat 1100-11.jpg

The blue car in Pune doesn't have it either. You can fit one if you like, it would be period and look cool.

I also noticed your RHD brochure scan has a post 57 glove box lid, the press down Padmini type, while the LHD has the push-in button we are familiar with as a dukkar-only feature.. Intriguing!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 23rd December 2008 at 22:25.
Old 25th December 2008, 08:07   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Also forgot to mention that front seat ash trays probably never came on dukkars.

I also noticed your RHD brochure scan has a post 57 glove box lid, the press down Padmini type, while the LHD has the push-in button we are familiar with as a dukkar-only feature.. Intriguing!
what type of ashtray?

The push down padmini type latch is probably an improvement that came in late 57 (my manual is dated September 1957) So i assume it never came to Indian dukkars (or even if it did we would mistake it to be non-original)

Any clue where I might find cloth windlace? I would hate to use vinyl like I am seeing in Badamikars car.
Old 25th December 2008, 12:13   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also is there a corelation between body colour and upholstery colour, I would think blue upholstery would look better on a blue car and tan on a black car.
I suspect it's also possible that the tan seat in your car was taken from another car that was scrapped, and was black, at some point of time? Since your car was painted black at one point, the owner would've decided to fit tan seats to match it?
Old 1st January 2009, 19:12   #102
Senior - BHPian

Back to paint discussion

Dear All the car runs into the paint booth in a couple of days, (pictures of the paint process I will post a little later) but essentially the base coat is done. As you can recall I have been trying to indentify the correct code for the so called Peacock blue as shown in the Poona car pics (however some people on the forum are doubtful if its the original colour or a later overcoat). However while doing some research on the Gasurit site I have shortlisted colours that were offered on fiats around the 56-57 era (alebit Italian ones)

Blu Pavone is peacock blue in Italian but when i had a sample made it turned out to be much much darker, infact a dark metallic blue almost similar to what Gogi has posted earlier. Any clues what it could be from the list.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of MTP 8389 a 1956 Fiat 1100-capture.jpg  

Restoration of MTP 8389 a 1956 Fiat 1100-edis800921.jpg  

Restoration of MTP 8389 a 1956 Fiat 1100-13.jpg  

Last edited by the mole : 1st January 2009 at 19:20.
Old 1st January 2009, 19:39   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As you can recall I have been trying to indentify the correct code for the so called Peacock blue as shown in the Poona car pics (however some people on the forum are doubtful if its the original colour or a later overcoat). However while doing some research on the Gasurit site I have shortlisted colours that were offered on fiats around the 56-57 era (alebit Italian ones).
The Poona car has no doubt had an overcoat, but I suspect in the original or very close to original colour. There are at least 3 more cars in Pune in identical colours.

Here is another picture of the same car.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of MTP 8389 a 1956 Fiat 1100-1.jpg  

Old 1st January 2009, 19:48   #104
Senior - BHPian

so then what's the name of this colour and what is the code? another very old authority on this car tells me its called "Crystal Blue" and not peacock blue.
Old 7th January 2009, 18:16   #105
Senior - BHPian

R D Burman's Fiat

Could this be the Peacock Blue we are all searching for! This is a picture of RD Burman's car that appeared in Mumbai Mirror.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of MTP 8389 a 1956 Fiat 1100-burmans.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks