Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 12:07   #91
Senior - BHPian

Vespa PVX

This is a Vespa PVX from AP Scooters that i restored in September 2009.
Its a 110 cc scooter built on PL170 chassis.It was released in mid 90s and this is a 1996 model.Currently this model is discontinued.
Attached Thumbnails
Vespas and Vespas only-pa130001.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-pa130002.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-pa130005.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-pa130006.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-pa130009.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-pa130010.jpg  

Old 20th April 2010, 14:34   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a neat early (1960-61?) 150 that I have seen quite regularly used as a daily rider. Not a common sight anymore.

Vespas and Vespas only-vespa11.jpg

And here is a one owner 65 model Vespa 150 that I recently bought from a dear friend. All original, including the Italian Fiem headlight ring and german Hella headlight glass and cool period mirror.

Vespas and Vespas only-02.jpg

Vespas and Vespas only-03.jpg

Vespas and Vespas only-06.jpg

Vespas and Vespas only-09.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2010, 22:18   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
This is a Vespa PVX from AP Scooters that i restored in September 2009.
Its a 110 cc scooter built on PL170 chassis.It was released in mid 90s and this is a 1996 model.Currently this model is discontinued.
The Vespa PL 170 is quite well restored. The handlebar and the speedo are though from the LML Vespa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here is a neat early (1960-61?) 150 that I have seen quite regularly used as a daily rider. Not a common sight anymore.
And here is a one owner 65 model Vespa 150 that I recently bought from a dear friend. All original, including the Italian Fiem headlight ring and german Hella headlight glass and cool period mirror.
Karl a rare example.Even the tail lights are original. Its rare to get older Vespas with such tail lights today. Much like the Mark I/II Amby tail lights that too are rarely seen on older Ambys that are now fitted with Mark 3/4 ones.
One thing though, the front wheel shock up/coil spring unit used to have a chrome plated outer cover which by 1968 was made of aluminium and later in the 1980's changed over to cheap grey, plastic.
Vespas and Vespas only-untitled1.jpg
This is the aluminium cover on this example.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th April 2010 at 22:20.
Old 20th April 2010, 23:39   #94
Senior - BHPian

Hey Karl you have an very well maintained Vespa my friend, I guess it must have driven very low and this is the first time I got to know that the vespas have a fiem head lamp rim, I know that they came with Hella glass which even my Vespa has along with the alimunium hub cover. Regarding the tail lamp they are available now as vespa fever is catching up amongst the crowd. Do surf online they are many dealers comeup now though its not as original as they have come but they are moulded aliminium ones.
Old 21st April 2010, 00:48   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Congrats! You've done it again......as always!
The scoot sure is nice, and I can say that you didn't have to sell any of your wheels to raise funds for her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Vespa PL 170 is quite well restored. The handlebar and the speedo are though from the LML Vespa.
Its rare to get older Vespas with such tail lights today. Much like the Mark I/II Amby tail lights that too are rarely seen on older Ambys that are now fitted with Mark 3/4 ones.
Hillram's scoot is not a PL170 but a PVX, a cross between the PL an the LML Vespa. It's an original model. I've seen a few in Hyd.

The original Vespa tail-lights (as repros) are also available at a shop in Hyd. Possibly the only one still selling old scooter parts.

Last edited by Stanher : 21st April 2010 at 00:50.
Old 21st April 2010, 09:42   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Congrats!
Hillram's scoot is not a PL170 but a PVX, a cross between the PL an the LML Vespa. It's an original model. I've seen a few in Hyd.
Thanks for clarifying Shyam.Indeed it is an orginal Vespa PVX built on the PL170 Chassis.
Where is this shop which sells Vespa tail light.I know Bombay Motors in King Kothi sells some Vespa stuff like monograms etc.
Old 21st April 2010, 19:30   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying Shyam.Indeed it is an orginal Vespa PVX built on the PL170 Chassis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
The original Vespa tail-lights (as repros) are also available at a shop in Hyd. Possibly the only one still selling old scooter parts.
Thanks Shyam and hillram for the information. Never knew about anything called the Vespa PVX.
Old 21st April 2010, 22:48   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Where is this shop which sells Vespa tail light.I know Bombay Motors in King Kothi sells some Vespa stuff like monograms etc.
I meant Scooter Palace, in the same street/lane. They have the tail-light, original horn grille, speedo and even the ivory 'P' embossed grips, which I'd once bought for a friend. I reckon they get these all from Delhi.

Last edited by Stanher : 21st April 2010 at 22:49.
Old 22nd April 2010, 13:22   #99
BHPian

Hillram: Where did you source the parts for this scoot? Really beautiful. If you can get me the footrest and the nose badge, I would be great.
Old 22nd April 2010, 14:03   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Hillram: Where did you source the parts for this scoot? Really beautiful. If you can get me the footrest and the nose badge, I would be great.
These parts are extremely rare.I was lucky enough to find them.
I shall look out for you.
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:00   #101
BHPian

Thank you sir. This is for my PL170.
Old 11th May 2010, 21:29   #102
Senior - BHPian

Goa !

Goa has a wonderful treasure trove of classic scooters, they never fail to amaze me..
Saw this Vespa at Porvorim, near Panaji yesterday.
Seems to have been recently done up and parked - note that she has no front number plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Vespas and Vespas only-vespa-1.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-vespa-2.jpg  

Old 12th May 2010, 09:54   #103
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! she looks great and decked up with all the stickers, innovative idea of using the LML carrier to her. Wheels also have been modified to a bigger size of a Bajaj Cheatak. I am looking for the same front mudgaurd fish for my scooter. Thanks Super Select.
Old 16th May 2010, 00:27   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Goa has a wonderful treasure trove of classic scooters, they never fail to amaze me..
Saw this Vespa at Porvorim, near Panaji yesterday.
Seems to have been recently done up and parked - note that she has no front number plate.
I have a doubt about a detail of some vespas which were made in India, for example this particular one, as well as my own (1967), a detail that I was myself not aware of when I purchased it.

The horncast is not the same as the original Italian horncasts that always came with the VBA or VBB.

This horncast houses a hexagonal monogram, if you look very carefully. But at the time of VBBs in Italy, Piaggio had a rectangular monogram.

I've seen many vespas like this, and I have a doubt regarding whether the chassis was changed or the scoot came like this from the factory. Can anyone shed some light? I would be much more comfortable if I knew my scoot was originally that way (as of now I'm wondering if I should pulverize the guy who sold it to me for telling me it's original!)

Anyone?
Cheers
I I
Old 16th May 2010, 11:28   #105
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely you may take up the pulvarisaton activity. He he. As the original vespas have a square or a elongated square shaped monogram the hexognal types are for Bajaj 150's. Even your horn cast shape would be different to a vespa. You original vespa can be identified by the engine bottom below the gear box PIAGGIO written. The carburattor cover will have a hole with rubber closed. A piaggio emblem would be there on the magnet fan. Vespa written on the front suspension. The rear seat bracked is also different from a bajaj 150.

Now understanding what you've said let me ask you do you have the Vespa monogram attached to the body, even if not it cannot be a vespa chassis as it has been changed. A detailed picture of your scooter will reveal the originality.

Here is the picture I am attaching of a original monogram of a vespa.
Attached Thumbnails
Vespas and Vespas only-p160510_11.15.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks