Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2009, 18:13   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I photographed this vespa on a trip to Germany in the town of Lindau. Is this a classic model or just a newly introduced retro looking model.
HI!

The scooter you took a photo of is a Vespa Primavera or short "PV".
This was a 125 ccm smallframe model produced by Piaggio (with various adaptations) from 1965 until 1990. Additionally a number of 50 ccm models produced from 1963 to 1983 used very similar frames.

The PL 170 was a derivative of that scoter - range, although it was adapted in various ways.

Greetings from Austria,
Norbert
Old 26th November 2009, 21:41   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by limerick1999 View Post
HI!

The scooter you took a photo of is a Vespa Primavera or short "PV".
This was a 125 ccm smallframe model produced by Piaggio (with various adaptations) from 1965 until 1990. Additionally a number of 50 ccm models produced from 1963 to 1983 used very similar frames.

The PL 170 was a derivative of that scoter - range, although it was adapted in various ways.

Greetings from Austria,
Norbert
Hi Norbert welcome to Team Bhp what a coincidence i saw this on a brief stop at Lindau while changing trains on route to Vienna via Munich. If you do own a Vespa please do share some photographs with us. This model you mention was never produced in India, I wonder if any were imported directly from Italy? regards Amol
Old 12th December 2009, 19:15   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is an original factory photo of the early Vespa from autolit, note the ivory coloured rubber beadings and grips

Name:  vespa01.jpg
Views: 3559
Size:  64.6 KB
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2009, 21:55   #64
Senior - BHPian

If I can see correctly, this particular pic has the chrome trim on the front legshield, However most models in italy have a white rubber trim around the legshield. Was the chrome trim a India specific development?
Old 13th December 2009, 22:56   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
If I can see correctly, this particular pic has the chrome trim on the front legshield, However most models in italy have a white rubber trim around the legshield. Was the chrome trim a India specific development?
No Amol that was aluminium not chrome.This would match the thin strip ornamentation atop the front mudguard and also the OE rear, foldable, pillion footrest to the left. Even later Bajajs had such aluminium trims (we see them so commonly) bordering the legshield.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:36   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
No Amol that was aluminium not chrome.This would match the thin strip ornamentation atop the front mudguard and also the OE rear, foldable, pillion footrest to the left. Even later Bajajs had such aluminium trims (we see them so commonly) bordering the legshield.
Yes, the originals were aluminium, but commonly replaced with chrome over the years as the original is not available. Many owners would also fit rubber 'gola beadings' as they are commonly known.
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:07   #67
Senior - BHPian

The Man Who Put Italy on Two Wheels

Hello All,

Wonderful Thread!

I just chanced on this today. Though I never owned one, I have ridden the Vespa and all of its Indian variants to know it well and its ecentricities.

Though late to the party, I would like to share some info on the beginings of Vespa (nothing new to a group like this I suppose). What I am putting below has been adapted from the "Mechanix Illustrated" of early 1955. The sketch attached is also from the same article.

Vespa is largely the story of one remarkable man Enrico Piaggio of Genoa.

Before the Second World War Enrico and his brother Armando headed one of Italy's biggest manufacturing companies, which made railway trucks, trolley-buses, aeroplanes and aeroplane engines. At war's end their factories were rubble, and a peak payroll of 12,000 had dwindled to zero.

The Piaggios could have retired to lead lives of ease. Instead, in October 1945 they called together the remnants of their shattered organization.

"We ought to be providing jobs for thousands of people," said Enrico (Piaggio). "Yet most of the things we know how to make are forbidden by the occupation authorities. Let's have some suggestions."

"What the country needs most," said Armando Piaggio, "is a quick and easy means of transportation."

The Allies had blasted railways; main roads had been ground to dust by tanks'. It would take years for motor-car makers to resume production. Meanwhile, how were people to get about?

Piaggio remembered the sturdy, versatile motor scooters which the American and German paratroopers had used during the war. Mightn't such vehicles put transportation within reach of millions? Piaggio thought so.

"Let's try a design," he suggested to one of his engineers, Dr. Corradino d'Ascanio, aviation pioneer.

D'Ascanio started -sketching-. A four or five horse-power engine would be about right. (Speed and power weren't essential.) No one liked to straddle a hot, dirty engine -why not put the engine in the rear, enclose it and hook it directly to the rear wheel? Fat tyres on small 'wheels would give more comfort and make the vehicle easier to handle.

The tiny, one-cylinder engine that d'Ascanio sketched was a masterpiece of simplified design. Powered with an oil-petrol mixture, it needed no elaborate lubrication system oil pump. Made largely of aluminium castings, it would weigh only 44 pounds and would be easy on fuel.

To make his scooter appealing to women, d’Ascanio designed it along the lines of a girl's bicycle and added a floorboard to rest the feet, plus a flaring windproof apron front. He found some wheelbarrow tyres, old motor-cycle handlebars and scrap metal, and the new vehicle was built in six weeks. That first crude model is now in the Automobile Museum in Turin.

Unquote

Hope all of enjoy this tit-bit

Best Regards &Drive/Ride Safe
Attached Thumbnails
Vespas and Vespas only-piaggio.jpg  

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 23rd December 2009 at 14:17. Reason: Editing Fonts and attaching the sketch
Old 23rd December 2009, 16:59   #68
BHPian

hi guys this is my 71 vespa, with white wall tyres from us ,do comment good or bad what ever you feel like,thanks to all in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Vespas and Vespas only-28112009223.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-28112009222.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-28112009224.jpg  

Old 23rd December 2009, 22:39   #69
Senior - BHPian

Inderpal ji your scooter looks stunning, what makes it uniques is no doubt white wall tyres but also the the fittings on the rear number plate and the on the front mudgaurd. You have a well kept collection of vehicles. Happy to have you here with us.
Old 23rd December 2009, 22:56   #70
BHPian

Very nice Paaji......

Is the front leg shield beeding (gola beeding) still in its cover or so ?

Try to get white stand rubber too.....will look excellent

cheers
Old 24th December 2009, 11:36   #71
BHPian

thanks for appreciating,i had clicked these pics before the final touch ups like the no plate stand etc,have the white stand boots and loading pics in next thread,notice the plastic -anti rust coating on the floor,it also prevents scratches by shoes while driving without floor mat
Attached Thumbnails
Vespas and Vespas only-img_1228.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-img_1229.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-img_1232.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-img_1233.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-img_1234.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-img_1235.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-img_1238.jpg  

Old 24th December 2009, 11:45   #72
BHPian

That is beautiful now.....Congrats
Old 25th December 2009, 09:45   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
thanks for appreciating,i had clicked these pics before the final touch ups like the no plate stand etc,have the white stand boots and loading pics in next thread,notice the plastic -anti rust coating on the floor,it also prevents scratches by shoes while driving without floor mat
Inderpal maharaj! Quite an excellent example of the Vespa 150.The customised, period white hand grip, white wall tyres,white foot board ribs and mat look quite good.Not quite like the original, but only wish Bajaj Auto had more whites then on the body line.
Old 25th December 2009, 21:17   #74
Senior - BHPian

Inderpaljee what whitewalls are these? Please point us in the direction please
Old 25th December 2009, 22:31   #75
Senior - BHPian

Inderpal ji forgive my ignorance you said its a 1971 vespa and I can see the milo meter showing Vespa written on it, how is this possible as I have never seen this kind of meter in India. Please clarify.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks