Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2014, 05:34   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan

Here is the auction announcement for the "other" Ford Woody

I believe this is BWP-309, Left hand Drive. Do not think the "BWP-307" in the writeup is correct.

Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-bahawalpur-ford-deluxe-woody-1941-bwp309-frt-3q-r.jpg

More pictures and description below:

http://www.classic-auctions.com/Auct...gon-34470.aspx

Last edited by travancore : 19th December 2014 at 05:35.
travancore is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 21:13   #17
BHPian

In post # 10, Sahibzada F Abbasi posted period pictures of two Chryslers BWP 263 and BWP 264. Of these two, BWP 263 is still held within the family but BWP 264 has been sold. The following picture of BWP 264 was taken during a VCCCP show in 2011 in Islamabad. The second picture is of the engine showing a chrome plated head. I was told by the new owners that the head was sourced from the states since the original head had developed a crack. It is heartening to say that both cars are in good health. Having seen both cars in person, I'd say BWP 263 is in a more of an original condition.

Number 39, Jaguar Mk V Chassis number 623740 was originally Battleship Grey with grey interior when it left the factory. First registered in UK with JKV 657 in Coventry. It has gone through a number of colour changes. Silver over black and perhaps later all black. I can be corrected. Below is an older picture. Today it is still with the family but in a very distressed condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-chryslerwinsor194002.jpg  

Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-chryslerwinsor194004.jpg  

Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-jag-mk-v-194905.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th December 2014 at 08:28. Reason: Back to back posts merged
msabbasi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 08:39   #18
BHPian

On position # 35 in the list appears Cadillac 1939 series 75 limousine RHD BWP 260. This car as Sahizada F Abbasi correctly points out is still with the family. It has been painstakingly restored to a high standard. Missing parts such as the carburetor and rear seat were sourced from the States. The car now runs like it was meant to. Recently the overheating issue has been resolved by installing a new original radiator also sourced from the States. The car has been converted from the original 6V system to a 12V system. I understand that such conversions have been done world wide on this old cars supporting the 6V system making them more reliable and consequently easier to operate. A recent picture below.
Attached Thumbnails
Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-cadillac-75-limo-1939.jpg  

msabbasi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 10:17   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

RR PI 92YC Boudoir from an old documentary.

The PIII 3AX87 is seen in the background.

Courtesy: Cambridge University.

Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-bahawalpur-rr-pi-92yc-bwp73-wedding-1936.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 20th December 2014 at 10:20.
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 14:37   #20
BHPian

This is supposed to be the #10 car, Mercedes SSK by Barker.
Can anyone confirm?
Attached Thumbnails
Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-barker-merc-ss-bahawalpur.jpg  

Boybentley is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 18:33   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boybentley View Post
This is supposed to be the #10 car, Mercedes SSK by Barker.
Can anyone confirm?
Yes, this is a Bahawalpur car, according to George Oliver

Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-bahawalpur-mercedes-ssk-modified-2.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 20th December 2014 at 18:41.
travancore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 22:47   #22
BHPian

The Rolls-Royce Twenty #81K2 was auctioned in the UK by Sotheby's back in 1995 at the RREC Annual Rally. Colours were then yellow and black, it did not sell and it most likely has stayed in the UK since.
Boybentley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 02:11   #23

The Nawab of Bahawalpur owned a 1927 Thrupp & Maberly Mercedes Benz 680S, engine no.35987, chassis no.43471, that Herbert Lozier, in his book The Car of Kings, states was ordered by H.H. the Nawab of Bhopal.

I am including a late twenties photograph taken besides the main mosque at Sadiq Garh Palace, Bahawalpur, of His Highness of Bahawalpur at the wheel of this car.

The Mercedes also appears, seventh from the right, in the 1932 Motor Khana Bahawalpur photo that I posted some weeks ago on Team BHP.

In 1936 the chassis and engine were shipped to Barker for a new body to be fitted. Prior information was telegraphed so that dimensions of the chassis could be obtained from Mercedes Benz in advance.

Work on this project was carried out at the same time as the new Barker Mercedes 450K and the Rolls Royce Phantom III. It was completed by the middle of 1937 when the car was photographed for Nawab Sahib's records. An invoice was submitted for the completed work in August 1937.

I have no images of this car with its new body other than what has appeared in George Oliver's book, and I do not know if it was shipped back to India or kept in the U.K.
Attached Thumbnails
Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-10303a.jpg  

Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-line-up-1932.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd December 2014 at 01:35. Reason: Merging images into your earlier post as intended.
F Abbasi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 15:05   #24
BHPian

Here's a picture of the 680S
Attached Thumbnails
Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-680stm434713.jpg  

Boybentley is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 18:35   #25
BHPian

Travencore and I had concluded after much research that this is indeed a Bahawalpur Mercedes, which has now been confirmed by Mr Falahuddin. However I am of the opinion that the Car must have been originally ordered by Nawab Bhopal, as reported in the book. I am sure it was either not delivered to Bhopal or must have been gifted to Bahawalpur soon after. I base my theory on the fact that Nawab Sahib's preferred coach builder was Barker and the very fact that the car was sent for a re-body to Barker alludes to this.
Secondly the Nawab Sahib was not a big game hunter, per se, (most of the big game rifles were ordered by his grand father the Nawab Sadiq Abbasi IV).

To make a hunting car out of a racing car chassis and giving his custom to Thrupp & Maberly is out of element for Nawab Sadiq Abbasi V.

A rebody in 1934 to a sports car from Barker is indeed in line with a knowledgeable connoisseur of fine automobiles that he was. After Barker works were destroyed in WWII and they closed up, his custom went to Hooper.

I have yet to conclude which was a better body, the Thrupp & Maberly Shikar car or the Barker roadster but my tilt is towards the later Barker which has merit of line and purpose as well.

The only other car that was not originally Barker or resent to Barker for a different body or changes, was the Renault MC, in RHD, which has a Windovers (UK) body.

The RR Phantom I, 45WR was bought from Cairo show, was a Thrupp & Maberly body, later re bodied by Barker. The Cadillac V-16 was Van den Plas Belgium, later given a black vinyl roof and red interior by Barker.

The shift of the Mercedes SSK from Bhopal to Bahawalpur needs further investigation.

For the purpose of my list, very ably added to by knowledgeable persons, the serial 10 and 11 may be read as one car.

I am also going to add two MG saloons one green and other maroon which were used to take the princes to school etc.

Any car made after 1966 have to be attributed to the successor Nawab Abbas Khan Abbasi, e.g a pair of 1968 Triumph GT6 coupes, one of which is now in Karachi.
shyml is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 15:32   #26

Shyml, you are right the two M.Gs were numbered BWP 283 ( engine no. XPAG-SC-15359, body no.6005) and BWP 285 (engine no. XPGA-SC-X15882, body no. 5972),
and there were also two Vanguards, BWP 381and BWP 382, that were used as staff cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-bwp-383-mg.jpg  

Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-bwp-381-3382.jpg  

F Abbasi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 18:57   #27

I am sorry the MG numbers should have been BWP 383 and BWP 385
F Abbasi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 03:16   #28
BHPian

RR Silver Ghost 82 RM in its 2nd body, a Barker Pullman limousine deville (photographed 2005 by me in Bahawalpur) as well as period pictures. This car seems to be favoured for state occasions and visits as it was a closed car and I imagine very comfortable. (Later the RR P1 45WR was also sent to Barker, in 1934, and an almost identical Pullman limousine de ville was got erected on it, with an even higher roof, in preparation for a visit by Lord Linlithgow, viceroy India who was an exceptionally tall fellow.) pics to follow.

Amer Ahmad
Attached Thumbnails
Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-rr-82rm-bahawalpur-feb05-1.jpg  

Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-rr-82rm-bahawalpur-feb05-7-small.jpg  

Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-rr-82rm-bahawalpur-feb05-11-small.jpg  

Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-president-sikandar-mirza-hh-sg-palace.jpg  

Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-graphic2.jpg  

Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-hh-stste-visit.jpg  

Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-bahawalpur-rr-sg-82rm-period1.jpg  

shyml is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 08:50   #29
BHPian

On serial number 19 is RR PIII 3-AX-87 BWP 205. Here is a picture taken in UK perhaps in the late 40's or early 50's. His Highness is pictured next to the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-h48.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 24th December 2014 at 18:36. Reason: As requested
msabbasi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 15:41   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msabbasi View Post
No serial number 19 is RR PIII 3-AX-87 BWP 205. Here is a picture taken in UK perhaps in the late 40's or early 50's. His Highness is pictured next to the car.
Period pictures and a detailed history of this handsome PIII was kindly shared by Steve Stuckey here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-w...tml#post895477

Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-3ax87-bentley-jag.jpg

Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-3ax87.jpg

For benefit I am reposting the details from Steve here

Quote:
3AX87 left the Derby factory on 16 November 1936, fitted with engine B84Y, and with steering at the low F rake, raised 1 inch. It was set up for use in India.
The chassis was ordered by Barker & Co in late 1935, the first PIII ordered by one of the Indian Princes. It was delivered to them on 4 December 1936. Barker built a swept-tail saloon with division on the chassis, finished in black and silver. It was fitted with chrome-plated wheel discs, and had a spare wheel to each side. It was also fitted with a bullet-proof windscreen.
The car had been ordered by Major Sir Sadiq Mohammed Khan Abassi, the Nawab of Bahawalpur (30 September 1904 - 24 May 1966). He was the 12th Nawab, and succeeded before he was 2 years old, under a Regent; he took control in 1924, and was deposed in 1955.
The car was delivered on 5 May 1937 initially for use in England. Like a number of early Phantom IIIs it had clutch problems, and a new long-plate clutch was fitted in July 1937. On 15 September 1937 the car was shipped to Bombay.
It was featured in a Barker & Co advertisement in the magazine Country Life on June 12 1937 and in the news pages of the same magazine on July 24 1937.
In the early 1950s the car was sent back to England for restoration by Hooper and Co., along with the Nawab's 2-door Barker saloon on Bentley 3.5 litre chassis B32EF and his Jaguar Mark V (see accompanying photo); the Nawab also owned Bentley Mark VI B94KM.
The car is in Pakistan, owned by the grandson of the Nawab.

The first photo is an original from Barker, owned by me. The other is from the Hooper archive at the Science Museum Library, London.
karlosdeville is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks