Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2008, 19:47   #151
BHPian

I'm afraid I know absolutely nothing about the car, it was in the same place where I restored the Hispano-Suiza H6B. I do remember that while being "worked on" in Pahar Ganj there was a financial dispute and many parts from the car were with held never to be seen again. We even went to Chandigarh to try and retrieve the parts from the said mechanic but to no avail. I'm going to contact someone in Delhi who knows the history of the car and also details of another PIII (unfortunately stored outdoors) that belonged to another well known drink empire (MM), the bonnet of which is in the first photo and for which I obtained a new carburettor float chamber/body. The old one I repaired and fitted it to another PIII Limousine in Calcutta that belonged to a Raja Mukerjee in the late 1980s, whose carburettor was absolutely scrap. (PIII carburettors are very delicate and are often broken). The Calcutta car was in very nice running condition apart from the carburettor. So that is 2 more PIIIs, I don't know any details of them unfortunately. The records I made at the time have been lost. Someone here might know more. Lets see.

Last edited by Julian UK : 12th May 2008 at 19:52.
Old 15th May 2008, 22:15   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Some sad pictures of the alleged Mercedes 540K that was rotting in Pahar Ganj in Delhi for years and is now owned by Jackie Shroff after some work having been done in Indore.
Does anyone have any later photos?
Could this be the car? I found it amongst my pictures, saved from some browsing online atleast 5 years ago, I vaguely recollect some connection to Manvender with this car.
Attached Thumbnails
1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-mercedes01.jpg  

Old 16th May 2008, 00:18   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Could this be the car? I found it amongst my pictures, saved from some browsing online atleast 5 years ago, I vaguely recollect some connection to Manvender with this car.
It could well be the car, mudguards look right and the boot, but is it actually a 540K or a 500k? 540ks have a longer front end.
Old 17th May 2008, 22:23   #154
BHPian

Mercedes 540K or ?

If one was to visit india where would one get a chance to see a car like this and also the jackie shroff SS100. Is he contactable ie does anyone have an email address or him?
regards
Quote:
Some sad pictures of the alleged Mercedes 540K that was rotting in Pahar Ganj in Delhi for years and is now owned by Jackie Shroff after some work having been done in Indore. These were taken in 1986 when it was in Greater Kailash 1 in Delhi. It had a great deal of corrosion including large holes in the chassis. I remember finding the carburettor in the boot and refitting it to the engine, alot of parts were missing unfortunately.

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th May 2008 at 04:22. Reason: Quote fixed
Old 17th May 2008, 23:06   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry mcgrath View Post
If one was to visit india where would one get a chance to see a car like this and also the jackie shroff SS100. Is he contactable ie does anyone have an email address or him?
regards
I think the 540K is now sold. I can put you in touch with the gent who maintains jackies cars. PM me for details.
Old 4th August 2008, 03:19   #156
BHPian

Karl, a couple more photos of the same 540K prior to restoration, courtesy of Raj Seth of New Delhi (in the second photo), who did so much over the decades to help so many car owners and enthusiasts. Probably the most genuine, helpful and obliging enthusiast in India.

1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-540k.jpg

1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-540k-.jpg
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2008, 20:13   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Karl, a couple more photos of the same 540K prior to restoration
Wow, you know with the car in this state (no lights, bumpers, running boards) she certainly looks menacing!
Thanks for sharing.
Old 4th August 2008, 21:40   #158
BANNED

That car is a monster. Should be a sight on the roads. Man, its awesome.
Old 4th August 2008, 22:21   #159
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
couple more photos of the same 540K prior to restoration

How could something so spectacular deteriorate to this level? Its such a shame. Does anyone know the full history of this car? Who imported it and in whose ownership did the car deteriorate so?
Old 6th August 2008, 02:27   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Karl, a couple more photos of the same 540K prior to restoration, courtesy of Raj Seth of New Delhi (in the second photo), who did so much over the decades to help so many car owners and enthusiasts. Probably the most genuine, helpful and obliging enthusiast in India.
Seth uncle still has the same enthusiasm that he had years ago for the vintage beauties. I cannot agree more with you Julian, he is the most helpful and loving person you would come across. Even today he remembers each and every car that was there in India and shares the knowledge with everyone who asks. A very few people do that today. He was restoreing a buick super convertible and a Rolls Royce limosine i think it was a P II/ III on my last visit to his house. he also had another Rolls Royce could'nt see it clearly as it was in the shed but it was a convertible and from the late 20's to 30's era.

Idont think the Pahar Ganj 540k is the one Jackie has bought. i heard his car was bought from an old lady from Mysore. i might be wrong so someone please correct me.

If i remember right and have my facts straight Jackie has a 500k. the SS100 shuttles between Bombay and Pune. two months back it was at my place for some work.
Old 6th August 2008, 13:19   #161
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Karl, a couple more photos of the same 540K prior to restoration, courtesy of Raj Seth
Julian, while I know very little of Mercs, does this not look like a 500K? Of the prettier cars in this series I remember most to be the 500's.

Can we source the engine chassis number of the car? Any history on who imported it into India first?

Last edited by DKG : 6th August 2008 at 13:21.
Old 6th August 2008, 15:21   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Julian, while I know very little of Mercs, does this not look like a 500K? Of the prettier cars in this series I remember most to be the 500's.

Can we source the engine chassis number of the car? Any history on who imported it into India first?

Mr Seth said it was a 540K, I have also heard there were no 540K cars in India at all, only 500K. All I know is the bonnet length is longer on 540K cars. This car's bonnet does look short. I know little about these cars so I cannot say. I will ask it's former custodian.
Old 6th August 2008, 17:44   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Mr Seth said it was a 540K, I have also heard there were no 540K cars in India at all, only 500K. All I know is the bonnet length is longer on 540K cars. This car's bonnet does look short. I know little about these cars so I cannot say. I will ask it's former custodian.
Well the Bahawalpur 540 K would be an exception. Bodied by Barker.
There was mention and pictures, I think somewhere in this thread if I am not mistaken.
Old 6th August 2008, 18:18   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
Well the Bahawalpur 540 K would be an exception. Bodied by Barker.
There was mention and pictures, I think somewhere in this thread if I am not mistaken.
I'd like to see factory records.
Alvis, do you know anything about the PI in the sceenshots in the RR thread? It looks like the Bahawalpur Car.
Old 10th August 2008, 12:13   #165
Senior - BHPian

Here's a picture of the 540K i clicked at the Mercedes Benz musuem in Stuttgart last month
Attached Thumbnails
1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-540kdaimlerbenzmusumem.gif  

the mole is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks