Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2009, 19:29   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
No, La Gajjar never had a supercharged Merc. But he had many grand cars including Marmon. Saddly he disbanded his collection.

Most of the Gajjar cars went to Indore, and a few, particularly the unrestored cars, went to Capt.
The pic of the 630K I will mail to you next week.
I am not sure who you refer to JS, maybe I missed something. JS as Junior Statesman magazine had a Ford T.
I do not have a pic of Pranlal's 540K, but it is there at his house. Unfortunately she is suffering from gearbox problems.
There are two 630K's, two 540k"s and 2 500k's that I know of. But there must be 1 or 2 more "K's" in India.
Harit JS as in Jacky Shroff the actor guy who was said to have owned a 540 at the time of the Cartier event. No pics of this car are to be found on that thread either,

What happened to the late Ravi's 540....did it ever get restored fully
also how many "K's" do you have ????
Old 13th July 2009, 16:20   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Harit JS as in Jacky Shroff the actor guy who was said to have owned a 540 at the time of the Cartier event. No pics of this car are to be found on that thread either,

What happened to the late Ravi's 540....did it ever get restored fully
also how many "K's" do you have ????
Hello Wasif,

I have no K, but several A's, only Fords.

Late Ravi's car went to JS and JS sold to Pune and I believe she had been sent abroad by them for restoration. Many pics of a sad 540K you see here are of the same car, then she went to Indore for restoration. In the book "Cars of the Maharajas" there is a picture of a Bugatti, Fraser BMW Rolls & 540K. This is the same 540K. Indore sorted out the body, but she was never done mechanically. Hope I have crossed a lot of dots for you.

Cheers harit
Old 12th August 2009, 13:54   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
yeah its real all right. its a monster, havent driven it myself though. its bloody loud. saw it last week, theres also a lancia lambda being done up there, looks lovely in white with dark red wheels

The lancia which you saw there was restored by my father in calcutta and then was sent to ranjit mallik's place where he just made a few cosmetic changes from what we had do ne on the car.

The 680K was owned by him an he brought this car to calcutta sometime in the 80'-90's and was done by my father as well i have some pictures of this will try and upload them.This car was then moved to delhi and then again he made many cosmetic changes as he does for many cars.

The lancia was sold to collector in orrisa and the merc is believed to have gone to bombay.
Old 12th August 2009, 13:56   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
The lancia was sold to collector in orrisa and the merc is believed to have gone to bombay.
I was told the Mercedes has gone to Orissa. Subject to correction.
Old 12th August 2009, 13:59   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Yes sir even what i said is subject to correction.But this is what i had herd about this car.The lancia is believed to be in orissa now and is up for sale again.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 12th August 2009 at 14:00.
Old 13th August 2009, 11:38   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Yes Karl the car has gone to Orissa.
Old 13th August 2009, 13:47   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Yes Karl the car has gone to Orissa.

Who is owned by their ?
Old 13th August 2009, 15:26   #188
BHPian

Mr. Sarkar,

I wonder if your father worked on the 680K and got it up and running because for as long as I saw it in Delhi till it was restored - ground up by Mr. Tutu Dhawan - the car had been completely dillapidated. It also had a very very interesting engine issue which much to Mr. Mallick's luck was solved by Mr. Dhawan or else this machine was not of much value because neither do you get parts for it nor was the problem getting solved despite numerous previous attempts by restorers and mechanics!

Ranjit spent a lot of time, effort and money on this car to bring it up to its condition in which it was sold recently and all I can say - hats off to Tutu Dhawan for having the patience to fix this unique machine with its unique problem!

Cheers!
Old 13th August 2009, 15:48   #189
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA7VA5 View Post
Mr. Sarkar,

I wonder if your father worked on the 680K and got it up and running because for as long as I saw it in Delhi till it was restored - ground up by Mr. Tutu Dhawan - the car had been completely dillapidated. It also had a very very interesting engine issue which much to Mr. Mallick's luck was solved by Mr. Dhawan or else this machine was not of much value because neither do you get parts for it nor was the problem getting solved despite numerous previous attempts by restorers and mechanics!

Ranjit spent a lot of time, effort and money on this car to bring it up to its condition in which it was sold recently and all I can say - hats off to Tutu Dhawan for having the patience to fix this unique machine with its unique problem!

Cheers!
I quite agree. The credit for the car's present condition goes entirely to Mr Dhawan's efforts and I'm sure Ranjit would have spent quite a bit getting the car sorted out. I remember Mr. Dhawan explaining the engine problem and how he solved it. It has a beast of an engine for sure!!

The car however was not a basket case restoration, it seemed reasonably in good shape when Mr. Dhawan had it in his workshop.

BTW it may still be inaccurate to refer to this car as a 680K as officially no record of this exists. The 6.8 litre figured in the lowered SS models. Ranjit claims there were a few (possibly six?) ex-factory specials made on the 630k chassis with a bored out engine, this being one of the survivors.
I hope someone settles this once and for all by posting some authentic records to establish the car's credentials as a 6.8 litre K

Last edited by DKG : 13th August 2009 at 16:07.
Old 13th August 2009, 17:09   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA7VA5 View Post
Mr. Sarkar,

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I quite agree. The credit for the car's present condition goes entirely to Mr Dhawan's efforts and I'm sure Ranjit would have spent quite a bit getting the car sorted out. I remember Mr. Dhawan explaining the engine problem and how he solved it. It has a beast of an engine for sure!!

The car however was not a basket case restoration, it seemed reasonably in good shape when Mr. Dhawan had it in his workshop.

BTW it may still be inaccurate to refer to this car as a 680K as officially no record of this exists. The 6.8 litre figured in the lowered SS models. Ranjit claims there were a few (possibly six?) ex-factory specials made on the 630k chassis with a bored out engine, this being one of the survivors.
I hope someone settles this once and for all by posting some authentic records to establish the car's credentials as a 6.8 litre K

I agree with both of you that Mr.Dhawan had worked on this car and restored it to what it is.Before this car came to delhi it was taken to calcutta and then my father had just started woking on the car when Mr.ranjit decided to bring the car to delhi.Have a pic or two of this car when it was in calcutta,will try and find it and upload it as soon as possible.As far as parts are concerned you do not get them for many cars and you don't even get tools to open a specific area.For eg-The lancia lambda in this forum has been restored by us and you do not get a single part for that car.We restored most of the parts and re fabricated the ones not available and made all the specific tool for this car.If one is a restorer then one has to know how to and where to get parts and other things.No offence just was trying to put a point across hope you all didn't mind.Not trying to be rude.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 13th August 2009 at 17:13.
Old 13th August 2009, 20:52   #191
Senior - BHPian

I believe the car has been bought by a nouveau collector from Orissa. I was informed by Speedy last night. Not sure whether it has physically changed hands or not.

I remember this gentleman when I was told in jest, by another collector and Bhpian at the Cartier show, if i wanted to sell any of my cars, as a collector from Orissa was buying cars as if they were going out of stock at any price. I replied that actually they were.

Which brings be back to the question...What in the name of God is a 680K, especially since this does not look anything like one of the only 6 supposedly made.

Last edited by V-16 : 13th August 2009 at 20:56.
Old 13th August 2009, 20:56   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I believe the car has been bought by a nouveau collector from Orissa. I was informed by Speedy last night. Not sure whether it has physically changed hands or not.

I remember this gentleman when I was told in jest, by another collector and Bhpian at the Cartier show, if i wanted to sell any of my cars, as a collector from Orissa was buying cars as if they were going out of stock at any price. I replied that actually they were.

Which brings be back to the question...What in the name of God is a 680K??
Thank you all for correcting me and i shall tell the person who told me that it was in Mumbai that it is in Orissa now.
By the way did he buy the Lancia Lambda also which is on this forum and used to be owned by the same owner as this merc?

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 13th August 2009 at 20:58.
Old 14th August 2009, 18:02   #193
Senior - BHPian

Hello!

For sake of accuracy, suggest that Mods change the heading of this thread from 680 to 630.
Next, 630 sold to Orissa, same guy who has the Lancia lambda.
A Mercedes was indeed sold to Mumbai, but it was the 230/290 with the ugly wire wheels.
And, this very 630 was a complete car intact, but lying on bricks as she was unused. I have a picture of that, lying in its "gaon". Later she may have come to Calcutta.
But please change this thread to 630.
Old 14th August 2009, 18:07   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hello!

For sake of accuracy, suggest that Mods change the heading of this thread from 680 to 630.
Next, 630 sold to Orissa, same guy who has the Lancia lambda.
A Mercedes was indeed sold to Mumbai, but it was the 230/290 with the ugly wire wheels.
And, this very 630 was a complete car intact, but lying on bricks as she was unused. I have a picture of that, lying in its "gaon". Later she may have come to Calcutta.
But please change this thread to 630.

Thankx harit for clearing some facts!
Old 17th August 2009, 15:04   #195
BHPian

Mods Dont Rename The Thread!

Dear All,

I beg to differ from all of you learned souls!

The 680 K was indeed produced by benz for racing.

Please read all about the benz supercharged vehicles on the following thread and I am quoting an excerpt from there for you all.

eMercedesBenz Feature:Â*The Supercharged Cars Of Mercedes-Benz In The 1920s And 1930s | eMercedesBenz - The Unofficial Mercedes-Benz Weblog

"The 680 K was made available with 26/120/180 hp engine and as a racing car only with 26/145/270 hp engine. Incidentally, the special feature of the K models was the arrangement of three silver-colored exhaust pipes on the outside of the engine hood on the right-hand side and serving as a visual hallmark of the supercharged Mercedes-Benz models in addition to their acoustic identifier, namely the supercharger’s distinctive sound.

Despite all these superlatives, the supercharged Mercedes models of the early years were merely tentative exercises for what Daimler-Benz would produce from 1927: the Mercedes-Benz S, SS, SSK and SSKL."

Matter laid to rest and MODS please dont rename the thread!

Period.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks