Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2014, 15:37   #916
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas

Slightly off topic, but who knew that in the 1953 Chicago auto show Lincoln displayed a concept car called the Lincoln Maharajah, with gold paint and interior fittings

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-lincoln-1953-maharajah.jpg

http://classiccarcatalogue.com/LINCOLN%201953.html

Last edited by karlosdeville : 11th September 2014 at 09:37.
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 17:40   #917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Slightly off topic, but who knew that in the 1953 Chicago auto show Lincoln displayed a concept car called the Lilcoln Maharaja, with gold paint and interior fittings

Attachment 1285456

http://classiccarcatalogue.com/LINCOLN%201953.html
And there was a 1956 Cadillac Maharani Special too....

courtesy: NY Times

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-cadillac-maharani-1956.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/24/au...CHEN.html?_r=0
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 19:50   #918
BHPian

When I was a kid, in the circa 70, I happened to be in Darbhanga, and in the kings palace, in their garage, there were multiple Rolls and other cars lined up. I had seen one being periodically maintained by their mechanic. I was told that they were auctioned of later, probably at peanuts

The Maharaja of Darbhanga was heavily loaded, as the land was fertile and there was no need to maintain any army, so lot of land revenue and no army to maintain

So money was getting splurged everywhere.

one can still find Darbhanga House in many key cities of the world

Hope this is not OT

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Old 11th September 2014, 12:44   #919
Distinguished - BHPian

Farhan shared this link from the Sunbeam Talbot Darracq register showing a Kapurthala car

Quote:
This photograph shows a 1922 Sunbeam 24/60 Light Touring Model in front of the palace in Kapurthala a small, but very well run, native princely state within Punjab Province.

A 16hp Sunbeam may be seen in the background.
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-sunbeam2460india3_final5.jpg

http://www.stdregister.org.uk/Sunpics.htm

Does it survive?
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 02:42   #920
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Found this pic on the net on the Maharajah of Kotah's Phantom I a.k.a "Tiger Car".
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-6232548876_f0517c5735_b.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-6232562742_3e19d37436_b.jpg  

v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 17:33   #921
Distinguished - BHPian

A Baroda Buick (1930 ?) at a Boy Scouts function.
courtesy: Gaekwadsofbaroda.com

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-baroda-buick-1930-maybe-cropped.jpg
travancore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 18:36   #922
BHPian

I have been forwarded this article and as Alwar and the Lanchester figured in the write up - I think this thread would be right place to post it.

As yours truly also figures in the write up, albeit in a minor role - I could not let the opportunity pass by

Though for the bhp-ians who read the article - it should have been my friend Akhilesh who was mentioned ahead of me - it was he alone who had the technical skills to do the restoration work.

Regards
Chauhan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Luknow.pdf (475.5 KB, 998 views)

Last edited by vintageman : 30th September 2014 at 18:40. Reason: Edit
vintageman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 19:57   #923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
An interesting image sent by a friend of mine. Looks like the Lanchester of Alwar ! But can be wrong - I can't seem to pin point the height of the original cars rear seat to compare with the image of the Royalty.

Cheers Attachment 1281895
Quoting from the article posted by vintageman

"The Maharaja died of a drug overdose during his
exile in Paris which was enforced by the British after the polo match incident.
In accordance with his will his dead body, dressed impeccably in a white silk suit and gold-rimmed sunglasses, protecting his dead eyes from the blinding rays of the summer sun, was strapped upright in the processional car. The huge Lanchester crossed the state to the burning ground where his corpse was ceremoniously dismounted from the car before being cremated on a pyre of sandalwood. Never again would India witness such eccentricity."
KartikeyaL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014, 22:29   #924
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting, though not strictly a "Maharaja" car

Hansa Advertisement 1913

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-hansa-adv-april-1913.jpg
travancore is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 22:02   #925
Distinguished - BHPian

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-gwalior-fiat-2025-hp-state-landau-1908-tbhp.jpg

A "coach" car 1908 - almost two decades before the Alwar Lanchester
travancore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 03:07   #926

Re: Packards in India

This is a photograph taken in 1932 (?) of the cars in the personal use of the Nawab of Bahawalpur in the Motor Khana Nij at Sadiq Garh Palace, Dera Nawab Sahib, Bahawalpur, and excludes staff and Bahawalpur State vehicles. There would have been cars on duty at the time or in other garages in India and abroad (4 Rolls Royces were shipped to Barkers, London in March 1932). The two Packard Roadsters form part of this line up and are located 9th. and 10th. from the right.
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-motor-khana.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-image0278.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-image0279.jpg  

F Abbasi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 06:01   #927
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F Abbasi View Post
This is a photograph taken in 1932 (?) of the cars in the personal use of the Nawab of Bahawalpur in the Motor Khana Nij at Sadiq Garh Palace, Dera Nawab Sahib, Bahawalpur, and excludes staff and Bahawalpur State vehicles. There would have been cars on duty at the time or in other garages in India and abroad (4 Rolls Royces were shipped to Barkers, London in March 1932). The two Packard Roadsters form part of this line up and are located 9th. and 10th. from the right.
Dear Nawab Sahib,

Can't thank you enough for the wonderful pieces of history you have shared with us.

I assume three of the cars (39MC, 41LK, and 82RM) were sent to Barker for rebodying.

The exception is 70TM which just seems to have been repainted.

45WR must have been rebodied at a different time.

Last edited by travancore : 6th November 2014 at 06:18.
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 11:06   #928
BHPian

Quote:
Two Bahawalpur Packards
The Nawab of Bahawalpur, Sadiq Mohammad Khan Abbasi V, on tour with two Packard Roadsters during the construction of Sutlej Valley Project barrages and canal colonies in Bahawalpur State, 1930-31.
Thank so so much Sahibzada Sahib for ending the everlasting debate on Packards. My research had not surfaced these cars.
His Highness is standing with a 1930 Packard series 7 roadster and the other car is a circa 1928-9 Packard series 6 ( I think) with drum lights and side lights on the cowl.
The Packard Club does not seem to know these cars also, and in RHD is a rare commodity and should have been outstanding in that aspect alone. I have the BWP 120 which I can see in the lineup in a light colour in your other post . ( #9 as indicated by your learned self.)
Amer Ahmad
shyml is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 19:46   #929
BHPian

Quote:
What a grand lineup. I have labeled cars as I have identified on the picture posted by Sahibzada sahib.

In 1932 HH Nawab Sadiq Abbasi V was a 28 years old strapping young man, and had gifted a pair of Bengal Tigers to the London Zoo and RR PII Continental 180PY with Barker Sunshine coupe body was on order.

Each of these garages housed two cars in tandem. Interestingly each car is wearing BAHAWALPUR plates not the DNB or BWP plates.
Out for inspection are, R to L:
1. RR Phantom I Darbari 92YC Barker Boudoir ,
2. RR SG 70 TM Barker Cabriolet de Ville ,
3. RR SG 82 RM Barker torpedo tourer,
4. RR Phantom I 45WR Thrupp & Maberly Disappearing top tourer ,
5. RR Phantom I 39 MC Hooper two seater tourer with dickey seat,
6. Cadillac V-16 # 702298 Vanden Plas Belgium Sports Saloon,
7. Mercedes 38/250 shikar car,
8. Renault Type MC Ch # 189983 Windovers limousine,
9. 1930 Packard 740 limousine,
10. 1930 Packard 740 convertible coupe/roadster with dickey seat,
11. Armstrong Siddley limousine,
12. To 19? Un identified (Challenge to travencore!!! or perhaps Sahibzada sahib has other side photos too)
Not in picture:
a) RR SG 86CW
b) RR SG 41LK
c) RR Twenty 81K2
d) Mercedes SSK
e) Lancia Lambda
f) Packard 640 drophead coupe
g) Crossley Hunting wagon ( Haj Wagon)
Rumored but not yet seen in any picture, possibly in Europe or the Surrey UK estate and never brought to India/Pakistan : Alfa Romeo and Bugatti etc.

Sahibzada Falahuddins service to his house and the car community is immense. It is a great help to my compiling of the history of HH the Nawab titled "The days of the truthful" . Everytime I think I am ready to finalize, a new gem like these appears. Well Done Sir.
Amer Ahmad
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-motor-khana-car-identification.jpg  

shyml is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 07:14   #930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Dear Nawab Sahib,

Can't thank you enough for the wonderful pieces of history you have shared with us.

I assume three of the cars (39MC, 41LK, and 82RM) were sent to Barker for rebodying.

The exception is 70TM which just seems to have been repainted.

45WR must have been rebodied at a different time.
Here is how those magnificent cars would have looked fresh from their rebody / repaint by Barker in 1932.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-bahawalpur-rr-fleet.jpg

Left to Right: SG Chassis 82RM (Rebody); SG Chassis 70TM (Repaint); PI Chassis 39MC (Rebody)

82RM also sports ribbed wheel discs.

Last edited by travancore : 8th November 2014 at 07:43.
travancore is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks