Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2008, 00:30   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I was told the car was sold some time back. Cant confirm it though.

Travancore, do go through the FAQs and see how to quote posts. It gets a tad confusing when the quote is not highlighted correctly.

Cheers
karl
yes, manvendra singh mentioned to me, at the statesman in delhi tha the car has indeed been sold and is now with him for restoration.
Old 31st March 2008, 11:26   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Reference to another Bugatti, better placed here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/775912-post21.html

EDIT - Apparently Mallyas Bugatti has been rebodied, so it might be the Junek car after all.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/562194-post452.html

EDIT - 2. Here there is talk of Mallya having 2 Bugattis. Im confused! TRead post 293 onwards

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ost542758.html

Last edited by karlosdeville : 31st March 2008 at 11:38.
Old 15th July 2009, 11:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

This thread has been long dormant for such an interesting Marque.
Presently we know about 3 existing Bugattis in India,
Type 23 Delhi
Type 44 Mallya
Type 13 ex Jodhpur.
Now I have heard from two independant sources that one more chassis seems to have been found in Punjab and aquired by the same Delhi collector. Can anyone throw some light on this?
Recently someone got a book on Brescia Bugatti's, and in that there is a section of existing cars. Many have suffered and when rescued were cobbled together to make working cars. The Jodhpur car is also to be brought back to its former glory.

Recently a Brescia Bugatti was fished out of a lake in Switzerland. Got this info and video link from prewarcar.com

Apparently this car was discovered by divers in the 1960's and was regularly visited by divers, lying 53 meters deep. After decades it was finally decided to lift the thing and was done on 12th July 2009. Divers brought it out with the help of a crane. It has been found to be of 1925 as per the chassis details.
It is to be auctioned off for charity. How this car landed in the sea is not very clear. It seems that an importer brought three cars. Two were taken by customers and they paid the duty, one cars duty was still unpaid and Swiss customs sank it in the sea. Over time it went in deeper. Some of the seabed slush preserved one side of the car. Even two tyres had air in them, but in the sun one tyre burst with a big bang.
Old 15th July 2009, 14:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

There was a lot of unconfirmed talk about a Type 37 in Goa.

any info on this
Old 28th September 2009, 11:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

JRD's Bugatti.

This months AutoCar Anniversary issue has a article which has a photo of a page from Autocar Jan21 1927 which has the only picture I have seen of JRD's Buggati racing at Worli Seaface in Bombay. It definately looks like a boat tail one. DOnt know if its type 35.The amazing part is I was reading a Amar Chitra Katha on JRD (dont laugh) and a amazingly similar car was drawn there.

It says the car was 2090CC, other particaipants with a Bugatti were a certain J Townsend.

Note from Mod : 1 Image removed as we cannot allow scans from Indian publications unless you have explicit permission to reproduce the content. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Bugattis in India!-tsp0005048_p.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th September 2009 at 22:25. Reason: Please see note in post. Thanks.
Old 29th September 2009, 04:07   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

"Bombay" Bugatti

Here is one for you Bugatti afficionados
(source: bugatti-trust.co.uk)

Bugattis in India!-bugatti-bombay-type-23-chassis-2883.jpg

The site also has numerous pictures of the Type 44 that Elizabeth Junek brought to India and Ceylon.
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2009, 10:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

This must be the T23 Harit mentioned that is now in Delhi.

some infor on its current condition would be nice.
Old 20th November 2009, 15:52   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Attatched is a photo of Mallyas Bugatti, courtesy Kasli. I can see a somewhat different windscreen, sidemounted spare which is missing earlier, missing vents on the front valence, different headilght mounting frame and bar between fenders. What say? Same car for sure? Boy we had surprisingly many Bugattis as well! Wonder where JRDs car currently is.
Hello

Could it be possible that this the same car as the Mallyas Bugatti
Attached Thumbnails
Bugattis in India!-44733.jpg  

haje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2009, 18:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Here is one for you Bugatti afficionados
(source: bugatti-trust.co.uk)

The site also has numerous pictures of the Type 44 that Elizabeth Junek brought to India and Ceylon.
this must be the stag umbrella car, now in Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haje View Post
Hello

Could it be possible that this the same car as the Mallyas Bugatti
Yes this was Adenwalla's car where the porch fell on the car, then badly stored in Pune. Ownership from Adenwalla to Rony Khan to Mallya.

Cheers harit
Old 21st November 2009, 18:46   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
this must be the stag umbrella car, now in Delhi.

Yes this was Adenwalla's car where the porch fell on the car, then badly stored in Pune. Ownership from Adenwalla to Rony Khan to Mallya.

Cheers harit
Hello Harit,

Thanks a lot for your answer
Do you have more info about this car like photos or more specific information about the (former) owners or dates.
It is my hobby to find out the chassisnumbers, coachbuilders etc of the touring Bugatti's.
So every information is welcome

Best regards
Haje (The Netherlands)
Old 9th April 2010, 14:35   #26

G'day all,

I'm aware of the following Bugattis with an Indian connection;

1912 Type 16 Roland Garros
Chassis #471 ex-Mallya, still in the UK with a different collector.

Type 23 Brescia
Chassis #unknown, modified Jarvis bodywork, DeSoto engine, in Jodhpur by 2003

Type 44
Chassis #44733, discovered derelict in Poona district

1938 Type 57 Ventoux Coach
Chassis #57581, owned by Bernard Thorpe of Calcutta in 1954-67, then back to the UK. Now in the Netherlands

Cheers,
Damien
GRIFO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2010, 03:55   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFO View Post
G'day all,

Type 23 Brescia

Type 44

Chassis #57581, owned by Bernard Thorpe of Calcutta in 1954-67, then back to the UK. Now in the Netherlands

Cheers,
Damien
So which one is the Holkar /Indore Bugatti convertible pictured in Autos of the Maharajas - page 284 ?

And what is the identity of the Type 46 (Corsica bodied ex-Nawanagar car with the famous "lightning stripes") ? The Bugatti Trust has pictures

Last edited by travancore : 10th April 2010 at 04:02.
Old 11th April 2010, 15:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFO View Post
G'day all,

Type 23 Brescia

Type 44

Cheers,
Damien
Hello Griffo,

Do you have any pictures of the cars as they are today? Specially those now not in India?

I doubt that the 1912 Mallya car was ever an India car. Mallya did own some fine cars in UK many of which he sold, including a Veteran Mercedes(?) in which he took Mr. Nitin Dossa on the London Brighton run. I have somewhere an article writtern by Mr. Dossa. He also had a 1913 Hispano Suiza which is on the cover of The Automobile March 1910 issue, and many more. But these cars were never in or from India.

Type 23 Brescia has been sold on after a clean-up and the owner is planning a restoration. Was a Holkar car.

Type 44 was not discovered, she was a car belonging to Rony Khan and sold on to Mallya who has her even today. She was lying in Pune with a Lanchester and a Bentley.

Type 57, do you have a picture to post please?

There is one more Brescia in Delhi, ex-Mumbai, chattriwalla (umbrellaman). The owner of this car manufactured umbrellas. This car originated in Rajasthan.

One Bugatti was scrapped in Chennai.

JRD Tata also had one.

There were many more Bugs in India.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 11th April 2010 at 15:26.
Old 12th April 2010, 00:55   #29

Here is a picture of the ventoux

haje
Attached Thumbnails
Bugattis in India!-57581-9.jpg  

Old 15th April 2010, 16:17   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
So which one is the Holkar /Indore Bugatti convertible pictured in Autos of the Maharajas - page 284 ?

And what is the identity of the Type 46 (Corsica bodied ex-Nawanagar car with the famous "lightning stripes") ? The Bugatti Trust has pictures
Agree, my list was posted too soon, should have done more research as there are clearly a number of additional Bugattis in Bugatti.

The Type 46 with the lightning stripes is pictured in Barrie Price's book on the T46/50 cars on pages 52-53. Again, apologies for the lack of a scanner.

To quote the caption (which doesn't mention an Indian connection) "this car has disappeared without a trace, as have so many of the 'English' cars, a result of the horsepower tax and corresponding unsaleability of such cars on the secondhand market. Many were scrapped in the period just before and during the early years of the war". I had a look at a few chassis number lists for the T46 but couldn't find any mention of the car. I'm only just learning about the different cars owned by the Maharajas, but read in the bible the stripes were found on the Nawanagar Lanchesters.

As for the Holkar car depicted on page 284, I've had a good look but can't identify the model. It's a shame the radiator isn't visible, that would help.

Cheers,
Damien

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks