Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2010, 16:26   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hello Griffo,

Do you have any pictures of the cars as they are today? Specially those now not in India?

I doubt that the 1912 Mallya car was ever an India car. Mallya did own some fine cars in UK many of which he sold, including a Veteran Mercedes(?) in which he took Mr. Nitin Dossa on the London Brighton run. I have somewhere an article writtern by Mr. Dossa. He also had a 1913 Hispano Suiza which is on the cover of The Automobile March 1910 issue, and many more. But these cars were never in or from India.

Cheers harit
G'day Harit,

Sorry, no pics to post - I don't have many pics stored in digital form yet, am a bit old fashioned. Agree the Roland Garros car was never in India, hence my comment "with an Indian connection". Mallya bought some superb cars in the 90s, including the ERA, Sunbeam "Tiger" and Vanwall GP car amongst others... none of which ever left the UK.

Cheers,
Damien
Old 1st May 2010, 16:17   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
There was a lot of unconfirmed talk about a Type 37 in Goa.

any info on this
Its 45 km out of goa belongs to an erstwhile raja
Old 1st May 2010, 20:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zozimo View Post
Did you actually get to see it recently.

Please do put up some pictures of it.

Is it for sale ?
Old 5th May 2010, 11:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi! I have a doubt about the existance of such a car around Goa, rumours had Bugatti's all over India including Bangalore. Please try to get atleast a picture.

Cheers harit
Old 5th May 2010, 11:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been to the Raja's house but there are no vintages or classics there. The Raja of Goa has not known to be flamboyant enough to own a Bugatti but who knows
Old 5th May 2010, 11:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I have been to the Raja's house but there are no vintages or classics there. The Raja of Goa has not known to be flamboyant enough to own a Bugatti but who knows
Who is the Raja of Goa? Was he a Portugeese?
Savantwadi was supposed to have had a Porsche of the 1950's.

Cheers harit
Old 5th May 2010, 12:01   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Who is the Raja of Goa?
The Bhosales.

Not the whole of Goa parts of North Goa now bordering Maharashtra. He did have some interesting cars. But a Bugatti, i doubt it.
Old 5th May 2010, 13:02   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The Bhosales.

Not the whole of Goa parts of North Goa now bordering Maharashtra. He did have some interesting cars. But a Bugatti, i doubt it.
Hi Spitfire! Would you have an idea of what cars he had? And could you kindly list the states that surrounded Goa, like Sawantwadi. Was there a state surrounding Goa on the eastern and southern sides, bordering Maharashtra and Karnataka? Just curious. Thanks

Last edited by Dippy : 14th May 2010 at 15:57. Reason: Quoted post deleted hence deleting content from your post
Old 5th May 2010, 15:37   #39
Senior - BHPian

Lighten up guys....

This is sounding like the car valuation thread now

Now Zozy has been speaking of this car from the late nineties and I am sure he knows what he is talking about.

He was the guy who brought that NSU Sport Prinz out of Goa to Hyderabad and not to mention an immaculate 61 Impala, a 57 Bel Air and several VW's too

Do try to post some pics of the car Zoz

I have been in correspondence with teh current "raja" of Kurundwad Junior, whose family owned my Jag and he stated that their capital was Belgaum and he remembers that Jag and will be sending some pics of it soon.

BTW he said the interior door handles and the ashtrays were in sterling silver....we should have looked at them better
Old 7th May 2010, 18:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Lighten up guys....

This is sounding like the car valuation thread now

Now Zozy has been speaking of this car from the late nineties and I am sure he knows what he is talking about.
Whew! now that the storm has passed we can get back to Buggatis.

Where according to ZOZy is the Bugatti now?

I will try to get some answers from the Royal Family (my friend is related to them). Incidentally he burst out laughing with the thoughts of a Bugatti racing through the narrow lanes of the Nageshi Temple area. But hopefully he will ask them and should settle the issue once and for all.

Cannonball Incidentally my family is religiously affiliated to the Nageshi Temple adjoining to which the Raja lives, so yes I am on the same page.

Last edited by the mole : 7th May 2010 at 19:00.
Old 7th May 2010, 21:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

Swell, great now I know where the artistic streak originates You never know Goa can be full of surprises as people love their cars! Obrigath Viva la Goa
Old 7th August 2010, 12:06   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a rare (and superb!) picture of JRD driving his Bugatti the way it was meant to. The earlier registration series implies the photo was taken before 1939. In the back is his large Vauxhall Tourer

Bugattis in India!-01.jpg

From the book 'Horizons - the Tata India Century - 1904 2004' by Aman Nath & Jay Vithalani with Tulsi Vatsal - a must read.
karlosdeville is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2010, 15:23   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here is a rare (and superb!) picture of JRD driving his Bugatti the way it was meant to. The earlier registration series implies the photo was taken before 1939. In the back is his large Vauxhall Tourer

Attachment 401311

From the book 'Horizons - the Tata India Century - 1904 2004' by Aman Nath & Jay Vithalani with Tulsi Vatsal - a must read.
what a superb picture! OT for this thread but has the vauxhall survived? looks like a big pre-GM model, probably a 30/98

Aditya
Old 8th August 2010, 11:12   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Fantastic picture. I believe that Mr. Tata really used that car, painted Bombay town in Bugatti blue.
The fate of the car is not clear. Someone has an ignition key of a Bugatti, says its from that car. Seems to have been left at a garage and vanished. And maybe in the 1960's the car was supposed to have been in Colaba.

Cheers harit
Old 8th August 2010, 17:11   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Fantastic picture. I believe that Mr. Tata really used that car, painted Bombay town in Bugatti blue.
A story did the rounds that a friend of JRD was blasting about town in the Bugatti and had a minor accident, after which JRD gave up the car. In the meantime a police case continued, and his lawyer was one Jack Vicajee. Jack's neice was Thelma, who later became his wife.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks