Old 8th August 2011, 10:48   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Can anyone identify this model. Its a Fiat Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Going strictly by the body shape, I'd say its a Fiat 507 saloon.
Hi Kasli, where did you find this "beauty".

This was my very first vintage car, purchased from Ismail Merchant, the "Merchant" of Merchant-Ivory productions. I got it on instalments, was ahead, when he suddenly took it back. I brought her once to an IARC rally at Nariman Point, had to tow her as the gearbox did not work. When I bought her she was running. took once into the quandrangle of Elphinstone college. Later she stopped working.
After a while I found the car in Swadi's, met Anand Swadi, who told me that they could not fix the gearing. Then the car went away. I believe that she landed up at Khandala/Lonavala, deteriorated a lot, lost the center meters etc. She was bought by a friend where Kasli took the picture, and he got the gearing working. There was a problem in the clutch and pressure plate. I have told my friend that I am not keen to get her back, as I got another Fiat.
This is a 507 as pointed out, and of 1927. The headlights are not original, and same for the side lights.
My friend was surprised to hear that this is a 1927 car, he thought that she was much older. This is a 7-seater with folding seats and sliding glass partition.
Will put up photos later.

Cheers harit
Old 8th August 2011, 12:12   #77
Senior - BHPian

Sent to me from a broker daybefore I wanted to know the model and did not know this was your car. I have no idea where it was taken. If I had taken would have better angles for sure.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

This was my very first vintage car, purchased from Ismail Merchant, the "Merchant" of Merchant-Ivory productions. I got it on instalments, was ahead, when he suddenly took it back. I brought her once to an IARC rally at Nariman Point, had to tow her as the gearbox did not work. When I bought her she was running. took once into the quandrangle of Elphinstone college. Later she stopped working.
After a while I found the car in Swadi's, met Anand Swadi, who told me that they could not fix the gearing. Then the car went away. I believe that she landed up at Khandala/Lonavala, deteriorated a lot, lost the center meters etc. She was bought by a friend where Kasli took the picture, and he got the gearing working. There was a problem in the clutch and pressure plate. I have told my friend that I am not keen to get her back, as I got another Fiat.
This is a 507 as pointed out, and of 1927. The headlights are not original, and same for the side lights.
My friend was surprised to hear that this is a 1927 car, he thought that she was much older. This is a 7-seater with folding seats and sliding glass partition.

Cheers harit
Old 8th August 2011, 13:43   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Sent to me from a broker daybefore I wanted to know the model and did not know this was your car. I have no idea where it was taken. If I had taken would have better angles for sure.

Cheers

How much was he asking for this car.

Lovely car a very very rare sight
Old 8th August 2011, 15:55   #79
Senior - BHPian

I wasn't interested so did not ask

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by allana13 View Post
How much was he asking for this car.

Lovely car a very very rare sight
Old 9th August 2011, 12:12   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kasli, where did you find this "beauty". This was my very first vintage car..................... Will put up photos later.
Cheers harit
Here are the photos of this Fiat taken in 1979 when i bought her.
The B+W photo is taken in the quadrangle in Elphinstone college. Later I was priviliged to be the only student allowed to park his car here. There is a story to that.
The colour pics are of the car at Cuffe Parade near the previous owners residence. You will see a building under construction, and empty skyline, so different today.
A word of caution. This car is NOT for sale. Today it is highly advisable when offered any car or spares to check that the guy is really offering something that is for sale. My own cars have been offered for sale, this car was offered to Kasli when not for sale.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
A 1934 Fiat & other Pre-1950 Fiats-fiat-01-t.jpg  

A 1934 Fiat & other Pre-1950 Fiats-fiat-02t.jpg  

A 1934 Fiat & other Pre-1950 Fiats-fiat-03t.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 10:50   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers harit
Looks very similar to the Fiat Limo with Doc in Bangalore....There were pics of you driving it at some event in Bangalore ...please confirm.
Old 11th August 2011, 11:42   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Looks very similar to the Fiat Limo with Doc in Bangalore....There were pics of you driving it at some event in Bangalore ...please confirm.
Yes, that was a Fiat Landaulet. Here's the link to the post:

Link.

A few posts up in that thread, Harit has posted a pic of a Fiat 509.

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th August 2011 at 11:44.
Old 11th August 2011, 14:53   #83
Senior - BHPian

Re: A 1934 Fiat & other Pre-1950 Fiats

some more snaps of Doc's Fiat . Superb machine

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
A 1934 Fiat & other Pre-1950 Fiats-1927-fiat-507.jpg  

A 1934 Fiat & other Pre-1950 Fiats-dscn0299.jpg  

Old 18th August 2011, 09:36   #84
Senior - BHPian

A very nice snaps for my records. That's my Dad on the wheel
Cheers
Quote:
This is among the earliest Fiat's left in India.
Today it belongs to Pranlal, but when I saw her first she belonged to a Parsi gentleman. The car was often seen on a pertol pump in Byculla and on another petrol pump on Nepean Sea Road which is no more. This pump was located where you now enter Priyadarshini Park.
This car is of around 1909, other old Fiats seem to found in Patiala and Indore.

Cheers harit
Old 18th August 2011, 09:44   #85
Senior - BHPian

Another Fiat sadly unkept and might rot away. The owner states its his lucky charm and not for sale at all at any price and at anytime. Had seen the car on the road a couple of years back

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
A 1934 Fiat & other Pre-1950 Fiats-fiat-1.jpg  

A 1934 Fiat & other Pre-1950 Fiats-fiat-2.jpg  

Old 18th August 2011, 09:49   #86
Senior - BHPian

Is post number #19 the same car restored and in Poona ?

Cheers

Quote:
This is the 7 seater I was talking about.
She belonged to a gentleman who used to come regularly for rallys. Then the crown wheel pinion broke. That is when we took her over. The mechanic with whom she was lying was fed-up, he had dismantled the rear axle, did not get the parts and his place was blocked. So she was sold to us at a reasonble price

The deal was to take the car away immediately, this we did and kept her to my friends place in the Bhavans college lane. It took us about 2 years to sort out the problem. Then she was taken for tin painting and sold to a builder who wanted her bad. Car was patched, first coat was given and the new owner abandoned the project. After letting her rot for a few years he took the car. Present whereabouts are unknown.
Old 19th August 2011, 11:29   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is post number #19 the same car restored and in Poona ? Cheers
The car in post no 19 belonged to a builder in Pune and it was being fixed by Das. He also had a Plymouth convertible. Same model but different cars, both 7-seaters.
Here is the photo you requested, unmolested
But the person driving resembles a younger Mr. Hussein of IARC.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
A 1934 Fiat & other Pre-1950 Fiats-fiat-01tbhp.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 12:06   #88
Senior - BHPian

I know for sure its my Dad as I confirmed it with him first. Cheers and Thanks a lot

Quote:
The car in post no 19 belonged to a builder in Pune and it was being fixed by Das. He also had a Plymouth convertible. Same model but different cars, both 7-seaters.
Here is the photo you requested, unmolested
But the person driving resembles a younger Mr. Hussein of IARC.

Cheers harit
Old 1st September 2011, 17:45   #89
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Not exactly rusting in pieces, but will soon be on the way. A splendid Fiat 508 example, in the resort where we stayed at Kanha, in May this year. Looks like it ain't going anywhere; interiors looked to be in ok shape but with bits and pieces from some modern cars, most probably gypsies. The underbody seems to be rusted however. I had already put pics of it in my travelogue.

A 1934 Fiat & other Pre-1950 Fiats-dsc_0972.jpg

A 1934 Fiat & other Pre-1950 Fiats-dsc_0974.jpg

A 1934 Fiat & other Pre-1950 Fiats-dsc_0975.jpg

A 1934 Fiat & other Pre-1950 Fiats-dsc_0976.jpg

A 1934 Fiat & other Pre-1950 Fiats-dsc_0978.jpg
Old 20th September 2011, 22:10   #90
BHPian

Hi,

Did this Fiat find any takers? If yes, does someone have any update about its current status???

cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks