Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2017, 19:40   #2386
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Its actually not that difficult. Just spend some time on the site.

From the first 2 pages:

- Snell rated Vortex in size M for $77. For reference, an entry level Bell Qualifier retails here for Rs 10K
- Multiple Scorpions with Internal shade + Airfit cheekpads for under $100 in multiple sizes, not just the weird ones
- Some good LS2's; both street and ADV styles. Awesome value at over 60% off!

So it isn't like there's a dearth of choices, that too well within the OPs budget. But you gotta look hard enough
yup you do get good discounts but the ones you mentioned are mostly poly-carbonate like I said, also Bell polycarbonate helmets are quite heavy. Amongst the poly-carbonate ones, if one wants good build quality and upright aerodynamics, you ought to look towards the sharks, nolans, hjcs and yes scorpion too.

Anyway we're both pretty much saying the same thing, looking for a good deal in the US/EU is the only option that will suit all the OPs requirements.
Old 20th July 2017, 09:43   #2387
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. As my first filter is about the weight, let me continue to ask more questions about the same regardless of the features, regulatory certification of the below products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
That said, if you can find any AGV K5s going for massive discounts in the US or EU, then get one of your friends to buy it ASAP since that uses a fiber construction and could suit your lightweight requirement very well.
Looks cool, but is at 1600 g.
Quote:
If you cannot find a fiber constructed helmet in your budget, but want good build, and solid aerodynamics on an upright naked bike, go for the Nolan N86 (could be sold under the X-Lite name).
Well, again the same point-out. It is somewhere around 1600 g, but at least I can be confident about it's touring capabilities as stressed by you.
Quote:
Another solid touring helmet that might just squeeze into your budget would be the Shark S700.
Quote:
If scouring the internet for US/EU sites with discounts isn't your thing, then you can safely go in for a HJC or Scorpion helmet. Both american brands that offer great value for money and have several solid products in their line-up which should come in your budget. Something like the HJC CL-17 for example is a great helmet with track certification in the form of a snell2010 rating.
The shark S700 is at 1650 g & the HJC C-17 is at 1770 g.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
You actually have a Bell RS1 going for under $80 (add $10 shipping within US) but in one size only. Just FYI, the same is sold in India at around Rs 35K
The vortex and the RS range again comes around 1600 g mark.
I will not be an utter stupid over here expecting helmets at less than a kg weight, but what surprises me is that the MT Mugello range still is at ~1500 g regardless of the features, build quality & certifications when compared to these premium helmets offered at huge discounts. It is just 100 g gap, but I think it matters for me. Considering I buy a proper snug fit size, what makes the difference between these premium helmets and the MT Mugello in terms of overall touring experience? It might sound like I have fixed MT Mugello in my mind and just beating around the bush, but it is not the case... I am just being curious!!
P.S: I will continue my hunt based on your suggestions and shall come back if I have a specific question.
Old 20th July 2017, 13:32   #2388
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a hjc cl17, and a agv k5, the difference is night and day in every single respect, no comparo.

A mate, nasirkaka, picked up an mt lid recently to replace his hjc cl17, and his words were the mt is no where in the zone in comparison. Way too much windnoise even in the city being one.

With the op budget, its either a massive closeout abroad or a mt lid locally. Nothing else in that price point.

Most folks i know picked up the mt as part of their starter kit and upgraded to an international brand within a year.

Yesterday, happened to be at the local dainese showroom, and tried out the new agv k5 s, in the xs size. My feelings were confirmed, my head size is an xs. I use a small now, and its fairly okay, but going forward i know that its the xs that works. I am on the fringe of a 53 and 54 head size.

The k5s also felt more plusher than my k5, and also had a pinlock ready visor. The innards have been completely changed to a better material.

The pinlock ready visor with the pinlock costs 6500 bucks. Thats an mt lid right there. Crazy.

Last edited by Red Liner : 20th July 2017 at 13:41.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 15:17   #2389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjkamal View Post
It is just 100 g gap, but I think it matters for me. Considering I buy a proper snug fit size, what makes the difference between these premium helmets and the MT Mugello in terms of overall touring experience? It might sound like I have fixed MT Mugello in my mind and just beating around the bush, but it is not the case... I am just being curious!!
P.S: I will continue my hunt based on your suggestions and shall come back if I have a specific question.
Like I said, all of these polycarb helmets are going to be heavy. It is not like your neck won't take some time getting used to 1500g just as it would to get used to 1600g. If you compare something like a Nolan to an MT, I think all you need to do is wear both of them once. Don't even go for a ride, just wear them one after the other and you will yourself know which you prefer. Helmets like the Nolan have material on the inside lining that feels simply excellent on your skin and means you can wear it for hours on end, even the visor in something like a Nolan is much better, the first time you drop the visor down you will be touching it to check that it is there because the vision you get through it is absolutely error free. In terms of sheer quality and comfort, no MT can ever come close and at the end of the day, it is quality and comfort that give you the capability to tour more.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 20th July 2017 at 15:18.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 18:39   #2390
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
A mate, nasirkaka, picked up an mt lid recently to replace his hjc cl17, and his words were the mt is no where in the zone in comparison. Way too much windnoise even in the city being one.
Thats me!!

and i had HJC IS 17 and not the CL.

My recent story:
I was using a HJC IS 17 which comes with inbuilt sun-visor. I also have an AGV K5, bought along with Red Liner, and use that helmet mainly for longer rides. Obviously the K5 is much better in all respect, but the HJC IS-17 is not bad either in comparison. I was very happy with my HJC, unfortunately i had a crash recently and the helmet was damaged trying to save my head. It did a good job though. This had costed me around 10k a year back.

Very recently, to replace the HJC, picked up a MT Revenge binomy. Costed 6500 rs. Now this helmet has good specs on paper such as DOT approved, 5 Star SHARP rated, Pin-lock ready visor, and weighs only 1400gms. In reality, i am not too happy with this helmet. Firstly, its the most nosiest of helmets i have ever used. The visor has just 3 notches for adjustment. If you keep the visor fully open, it still stays in the field of vision. If one wants to keep the visor one notch open, there is too much gap and turbulence, and also the pinlock recess plays around with field of vision and greatly affects the view in rear view mirror. What could have been a good helmet somehow did not cut for me in real life.
nasirkaka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 19:38   #2391
BHPian

Bought Axor helmet (not Vega http://www.amazon.in/axor-Full-Designer-Helmet-X-SPIRIT-RED-Large/dp/B06WGSJHRF/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1501164148&sr=8-12&keywords=axor+x302+helmet) at Helmet palace, JC road. Though quoted price was around 4.5k, finally bargained for 3.3k. Changed the mirror visor to tinted one so as to reduce the scratches. Went for "L" size which fits tightly as of now. Hope it adjusts within few days.

The initial impressions are,
1. The visor is really good (felt cool and very clear)
2. Very silent compared to my earlier helmet.
3. Good strap and almost everything can be removed for cleaning/washing.
4. Two year warranty and a promise of free minor repairs.
5. Came with a carry bag.

Hope this is a vfm purchase and serves me well and hoping that I didn't make any mistake in going for L size.
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 12:07   #2392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

2. Could you please post a link to the helmet deal please?
hi,
https://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb...arai+rapide-ir

This is one of the best deals i have seen for arai anywhere. I guess it is because since arai is based out of japan so the cost is least if you buy from japan.

few reviews.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th July 2017 at 14:16. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Old 28th July 2017, 12:14   #2393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashroy_6 View Post
hi,
https://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb...arai+rapide-ir

This is one of the best deals i have seen for arai anywhere. I guess it is because since arai is based out of japan so the cost is least if you buy from japan.
This is amazing. Offtopic, but i hope we can close the loop here. It translates to about inr 20k purchase price. How much did shipping and customs work out to? Would you mind sharing the split?
Old 28th July 2017, 13:23   #2394
BHPian

Re: 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 launched @ 9.98 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
This is amazing. Offtopic, but i hope we can close the loop here. It translates to about inr 20k purchase price. How much did shipping and customs work out to? Would you mind sharing the split?
Total landing cost was 32,000. But i see the prices have gone up by 3000 yen from the time i purchased which was last week.

One way to the breakup is to log in amazon japan and just check as now the rates have increased slightly. It will show you detailed customs cost and shipping rates.

Last edited by ashroy_6 : 28th July 2017 at 13:42.
Old 31st July 2017, 06:13   #2395
BHPian

Important to know before buying a new helmet. Most likely impact zones in case of a fall and why full face helmets are important.

Also a reason why modular helmets aren't your safest choice as you're making a fracture to the helmet shell right at the point of maximum impact.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_4616.jpg  

Starfire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 09:26   #2396
BHPian

Hello all,

After some browsing, I have narrowed down my search to Bell RS1.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...ered+-+size+xs

The problem, as stated by the guys earlier, is about the limitations on size. I measured my head just over the upper part of my ears and it shows 55 cm exactly. Will the XS (54-55 cm as per the size chart) fit me for long touring? I am very skeptical about the size mentioned in the website
Old 1st August 2017, 10:34   #2397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The problem, as stated by the guys earlier, is about the limitations on size. I measured my head just over the upper part of my ears and it shows 55 cm exactly. Will the XS (54-55 cm as per the size chart) fit me for long touring? I am very skeptical about the size mentioned in the website
Take a measuring tape, measure the circumference of your head at its largest point. Be it just over your ears or well over your ears, whatever the maximum circumference is, get the recommended size for that. If it is 55cm only then get the XS. There is no point blowing so much cash on a fancy helmet and then getting one size bigger. Even if you are .5cms more like 55.5 still get the XS because a snug tight fit is always a good thing. When you first take the helmet out of the box and put it on you might wonder whether you got the wrong size. It will take some time to break in but after a month or so it will be perfect
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 19:17   #2398
Senior - BHPian

I landed a Kabuto Kamui Stinger helmet here - http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/h...lmet+-+stinger

It is a Japanese helmet and Webbikeworld has great reviews - "It hits the bull's eye between expensive Arai and Shoei helmets, while feeling more substantial than lower-priced brands like HJC" - you can read the whole review here - http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...met/review.htm

Helmet is a great fit and comes with a pinlock visor and also a slide-down dark shield inside.
Old 1st August 2017, 22:59   #2399
BHPian

Thank you Ishaan, one more question. Shades aren't in-built in this model? I have to buy separately as below?

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...-+nutra+fog+ii
Old 2nd August 2017, 01:31   #2400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Ishaan, one more question. Shades aren't in-built in this model? I have to buy separately as below?
Yup the RS-1 isn't really a touring helmet so no inbuilt drop down sun visor. You will have to buy a separate tinted visor, or look into more touring focused helmets.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks