Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2009, 16:21   #2551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
The front end almost looks like Xyno now.

Unfortunate incident.

Bent body frame can never be realigned like before. These things are built by robots. I am surpsied you are actually driving it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
scorpios build saved all your family members from injury, it is indeed a solid vehicle. Dont you have ABS in your this version ?

Which dealer did the job ? I am sure you must have escalated the issues to M&M, what have they done for the issues.
@Aerohit,
XYLO
Yeah the pillars werent damaged much but mahindra people didnt even tightened some nuts properly. The chasis and engine were intact.Well we had to drive it and had no other option. The depreciation would have been too much for selling an accidental car and now we have kept Scorpio for city use where everyone is afraid of it and give way themselves. Also some say, sell the car your accident happened because of it, i say this car saved us so we will keep it atleast till 1 lakh kms 50k are already done and car is running fine.

@tanwaramit,
Well this was a 06 model SLX top end but in those times even for 9,60,000 OTR we didnt get ABS and neither had it as optional. I complained to M&M 3 times but there was no response from their side.
Old 4th June 2009, 16:51   #2552
Senior - BHPian

Tough guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs View Post
This Lancer banged behind my friend's Hyundai Verna, in a twisty Kerala road. Verna escaped unscathed perhaps because of raised stance. Lancer's grill went beneath Verna's back bumper.

The estimate for repair for the Lancer was said to be around 80k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
More than raised stance, the rear ends of cars are always quite stiff as compared to front ends. The front end is designed to absorb the impact, but this is not the main consideration for the rear end design.
I dont intend to stir up a Hornet's nest here, but the Verna does seem to be built tougher than other cars in the Upper C segment. People who have followed my ownership thread would recollect that a drunkard ploughed into my car's rear fender on new year's eve night. A portion of the panel got bent, and paint got chipped. But considering the speed at which the idiot was travelling, the damage was surprisingly meagre! In fact, next morning I unscrewed the rear boot lining and managed to gently push out most of the damaged panel. Now there's only a small dent (and some chipped paint) visible.

Another incident was when I rear-ended an OHC on EM Byepass. Wasnt his or my fault particularly. A bus swerved out of lane in front of him, causing both cars to panic brake. At the point of impact, my speed would not have been more than 20-30 kmph.

What was surprising was the difference in damage to both cars. The OHC's rear bumper (right side) broke from its mountings and started hanging. The rear tail light broke too.

Compared to him, I merely had a big surface scratch on the front bumper. That too, got rectified in the 2nd service when the Hyundai Service guys gave me a free paint touch-up!

Just when I had started thinking that I was driving around in a tank, destiny intervened. An idiot in an Indica rammed into my PARKED car at a city mall, and caused the entire front bumper to be changed! Talk about bad luck!
Old 4th June 2009, 16:59   #2553
Senior - BHPian

From the pictures of Scorpio, its pretty clear that then A-pillar and B-pillar were affected apart from the chassis ( Scorpio is a body on chassis construction ).

Its very difficult to get them back in to the original shape and integrity. IMHO, the overall integrity of your has been affected.

But always I was amused by the toughness of Scorpio and this is proof that they have tried to build a strong car and are successful in that attempt.
Old 4th June 2009, 17:12   #2554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Another incident was when I rear-ended an OHC on EM Byepass. Wasnt his or my fault particularly. A bus swerved out of lane in front of him, causing both cars to panic brake.
Sorry for going

...but a rear end collision is rarely the fault of driver in front and thus, in most cases the fault of the driver following. Even it was panic breaking, a decent following distance would have avoided it. On the other hand, if one leaves a decent distance, most vehicles will try to squeeze in between
Old 4th June 2009, 17:16   #2555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Sorry for going

...but a rear end collision is rarely the fault of driver in front and thus, in most cases the fault of the driver following. Even it was panic breaking, a decent following distance would have avoided it. On the other hand, if one leaves a decent distance, most vehicles will try to squeeze in between
I have seen vehicles always trying to squeeze in between just to get a few mts ahead. Always keep a safe distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in the front.
Old 4th June 2009, 17:23   #2556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From the pictures of Scorpio, its pretty clear that then A-pillar and B-pillar were affected apart from the chassis ( Scorpio is a body on chassis construction ).

Its very difficult to get them back in to the original shape and integrity. IMHO, the overall integrity of your has been affected.

But always I was amused by the toughness of Scorpio and this is proof that they have tried to build a strong car and are successful in that attempt.
What i meant to say that the pillars were not completely down. Only dad's head was hurt by the caved in pillar. With gods grace it stopped caving in where it should have been otherwise
It was indeed difficult to restore the car back to shape but Bhasin motors didnt even try it.
In short "Accidental car will always remain one, how hard one tries to restore it" car is used for only city purposes now as above 80 noise levels become abnormally high.
Old 4th June 2009, 17:31   #2557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Sorry for going

The topic of the thread is "Accidents in India". Since we are discussing an accident, and it happened very much in India, I dont think we're going off topic at all!

Let me describe the accident a bit in detail. If you've been to Kolkata and travelled on EM Byepass, you would know that vehicles travel at a fair speed there (60 kmph atleast) specifically since its a BYEPASS! On that day, the bus in front was doing about 70 kmph, the OHC behind him was speeding up, and so was my Verna behind it. I was at a fair distance from the car, but none of us realized that the bus would suddenly pull out of lane at that speed.

What resulted was massive panic braking from both cars. The OHC braked in a straight line. I swerved a bit to the right, and shed a massive deal of speed before coming close to him. Thats why I mentioned "at the point of contact" my speed would not have been more than 20-30 kmph.

The OHC was being driven by an elderly driver, with the owner in the back seat. While the driver tried a few histrionics, the owner knew it wasnt my fault. After a brief chat (and a sad glance at the damage done to our respective cars) we moved on.

In post mortem, there are a lot of things I could have done. Kept a greater distance (I fully agree with you and LastActionHero), swerved harder to the right and avoided the OHC altogether (but that would have brought me close to scraping the divider) etc. But ultimately its just an accident. These things happen.
Old 4th June 2009, 19:03   #2558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
yet another pic that I received today on e-mail. Location was written somewhere in UP.
How on earth did that happen!
Old 4th June 2009, 19:09   #2559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont intend to stir up a Hornet's nest here, but the Verna does seem to be built tougher than other cars in the Upper C segment.
Well, I disagree with you here. If you have a look at the verna crash pictures in this thread, mostly the A-pillar shows damage quite fast.

And rear ends are quite tough. My experience in brief. A biker was trying to go in wrong side due to road divider. I was braking gradually while taking turn ( from where the biker was coming ). Suddenly the biker came in front of me. I slammed the brakes and managed to avoid the biker. Suddenly there was a large thud and we realized that it was a Scorpio that rear ended us. Yes, a heavy rigid SUV rear ended a 1992 1 lakh kms+ Maruti 800.
Want to know the damage ?
Just a broken bumper and tail lights. Not even a single dent.

This is proof that the rear ends are quite stiff of all the cars.

Quote:
The topic of the thread is "Accidents in India". Since we are discussing an accident, and it happened very much in India, I dont think we're going off topic at all!
There are a very few disciplined road users. You are lucky to have met them on the road. The fact that the owner did not indulge into a fight proves he was indeed a disciplined and responsible citizen.

That said, I think if a car rear ends the other car, its fault of the car that has rear ended the other. This is accepted truth in developed countries. There are exceptions like if a car rear ends me, so I rear end the one ahead of me, then its not my fault.
Old 4th June 2009, 20:38   #2560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That said, I think if a car rear ends the other car, its fault of the car that has rear ended the other. This is accepted truth in developed countries. There are exceptions like if a car rear ends me, so I rear end the one ahead of me, then its not my fault.
To add, something very common in India, someone overtakes you while not keeping enough distance and then brakes hard. If you rear-end him, not your fault. Ofcourse you are likely to bear greater damage in terms of cost and shape.
Old 5th June 2009, 01:58   #2561
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this Swift DDIS at DD motors Maya Puri.

Not sure if the car was in a running condition. I'm sure the occupants must have escaped unhurt.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-040620092410.jpg  

Old 5th June 2009, 02:55   #2562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post

Not sure if the car was in a running condition. I'm sure the occupants must have escaped unhurt.
Oh that is terrible!, the bonnet is gone and see the state of the glass. Hope the passengers are unhurt.

Wonder how this happened?
Old 5th June 2009, 08:35   #2563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvvikram View Post
Wonder how this happened?
From the pictures it is clear that the car was involved in crash with some HCV, may be the car rear ended a stationary truck/bus or slow speed head on collision.
This is predictable because the damage can be seen in the front windscreen that took all the burnt of the crash along with the hood. Hope the A-pillars are OK.
Old 5th June 2009, 08:55   #2564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Looks to me that the car might have been tailgating a HCV when something fell on it damaging the bonnet, windshield.
Old 5th June 2009, 17:17   #2565
BHPian

What was once a Zen. I'm assuming it rolled or something, the damage is severe, the A and B pillars on the drivers side were completely flattened. Clicked on the Tambaram- Pondy Express highway (NH 45)

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-040620091336.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks