Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 12:20   #6166
Senior - BHPian

There are two mangled cars (one an Esteem & other one I forgot) outside the Kalindi Kunj UP Police Station, that I noticed yesterday (probably because left office early for home to collect bro's RETB from dealer). Both of two seem to have met (crashed under) the same fate (container) & their front-end are badly damaged (Do not know how the accident happenned? Just guessing). Will try to post pictures soon.
Old 24th June 2010, 18:26   #6167
BHPian

Rains and lack of street lighting take a good toll on you.
Last night while on my way back home from Belapur at around 1.15, accidentally drove my car into a ditch. Or so I thought. Got out and saw that apparently I'd ran my car over an exposed cable(supposed to run beneath the road and not over it), and it'd entangled with my LHS front wheel, thereby pulling my car into the ditch.
Luck wasn't so bad since neither of the 4 occupants were hurt. We gathered some rocks, large enough to go under the wheel, engaged the car in reverse, and my friends helped lift and push it out. The wheel's been rubbing against the wheel-well every time I brake.
Will send it over for a check once the rains pause.
Old 24th June 2010, 21:32   #6168
Senior - BHPian

Well what can I say about the i20 accident. Its a perfect example for all those who say" Airbags ka kyam kaam hai(what is the use of airbags). They are useless."This should be shown to all those idiots.
to hyundai i20.
Old 26th June 2010, 14:24   #6169
BHPian

This happened about short while ago on the new Nagarabhavi ring road (Bangalore), while coming from tumkur road towards nagarabhavi circle there is a sharp left curve and seems like the driver could not control the car and went straight, jumped the median, hit the pole and crashed on the other side of the road . Luckily there were no one on the other side of the road at that time and there was only one guy in the car who was driving it and he escaped with minor injuries.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00308.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00305.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00306.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00307.jpg  

Old 26th June 2010, 14:31   #6170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Well what can I say about the i20 accident. Its a perfect example for all those who say" Airbags ka kyam kaam hai(what is the use of airbags). They are useless."This should be shown to all those idiots.
to hyundai i20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
This happened about short while ago on the new Nagarabhavi ring road (Bangalore).
What a contrast!
A badly really crashed Asta whose occupants survived with next to no injuries, and now a not-so-badly crashed magna whose occupant survived with minor injuries!
Feel really bad for the condition of the 1.20s though.

BTW, spotted a crashed blue alto attached to a towing truck near trinity circle Air force mess. The bumper was gone, and parts of the front part was crumpled. The wind-shield was cracked, and there was this man with a bandaged forehead talking on the phone near it.
Old 26th June 2010, 14:47   #6171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
BTW, spotted a crashed blue alto attached to a towing truck near trinity circle Air force mess. The bumper was gone, and parts of the front part was crumpled. The wind-shield was cracked, and there was this man with a bandaged forehead talking on the phone near it.
Yes, this had happened on Friday morning. I saw the Alto in front the army officers' quarters.
Old 26th June 2010, 15:27   #6172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Yes, this had happened on Friday morning. I saw the Alto in front the army officers' quarters.
Oops! Forgot to mention.
I spotted it on friday(y'day) evening.
Old 26th June 2010, 17:18   #6173
Senior - BHPian

Took this '98 carbeurated esteem (belongs to a "friend") to noida via kalyanpuri roads to go for some personal work. All of a sudden the front suspension arm (I was told that the esteem has an all wheel independent suspension) bent from nowhere after the car hit a decent size pothole at a speed of 30 kmph and holy cow, this showed how rigid this chassis really is...the brakes too were not working properly and it almost had to climb on a low height divider to get it to stop and this was the result. Seems like front half of the chassis too took the impact.

This car has covered 1,56,000 km and has not been serviced after 1,10,000 km I was told. I just felt angry for him shouted back black and blue while getting it back towed to my house. Now what he will do, its upto him to decide. the shocker too was to blame as none have been changed in the car's lifespan. All this as a result of poor maintenance.

Of course, I was shaken and stirred.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0088.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0089.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0090.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0091.jpg  

Old 26th June 2010, 19:13   #6174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Took this '98 carbeurated esteem (belongs to a "friend") to noida via kalyanpuri roads to go for some personal work. All of a sudden the front suspension arm (I was told that the esteem has an all wheel independent suspension) bent from nowhere after the car hit a decent size pothole at a speed of 30 kmph and holy cow, this showed how rigid this chassis really is...the brakes too were not working properly and it almost had to climb on a low height divider to get it to stop and this was the result. Seems like front half of the chassis too took the impact.

This car has covered 1,56,000 km and has not been serviced after 1,10,000 km I was told. I just felt angry for him shouted back black and blue while getting it back towed to my house. Now what he will do, its upto him to decide. the shocker too was to blame as none have been changed in the car's lifespan. All this as a result of poor maintenance.

Of course, I was shaken and stirred.
So has it been totalled?
My grampa once came across a palio being scrapped at a workshop.
He was told that it was a total loss due to some suspension arm(or was it chasis?) damage
Old 26th June 2010, 19:34   #6175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
This happened about short while ago on the new Nagarabhavi ring road (Bangalore), while coming from tumkur road towards nagarabhavi circle there is a sharp left curve and seems like the driver could not control the car and went straight, jumped the median, hit the pole and crashed on the other side of the road . Luckily there were no one on the other side of the road at that time and there was only one guy in the car who was driving it and he escaped with minor injuries.
Nice strong pole. Kudos to the construction company for not skimping on quality

But strong pole is bad for safety, thats why the road guides and poles are made flexible in countries like UK. I remember watching a video about this on Fifth Gear.
Old 26th June 2010, 19:38   #6176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenmachinE View Post
Nice strong pole. Kudos to the construction company for not skimping on quality

But strong pole is bad for safety, thats why the road guides and poles are made flexible in countries like UK. I remember watching a video about this on Fifth Gear.
Wouldn't a falling pole cause more problems? Ideally the base of a pole should be blocked using rubber tires like in F1 races
Old 26th June 2010, 20:04   #6177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
So has it been totalled?
My grampa once came across a palio being scrapped at a workshop.
He was told that it was a total loss due to some suspension arm(or was it chasis?) damage

It will go for repairing. The car has already been fully repainted from white to pearl silver in 2005 with that tacky chrome grill being tucked on.

Last edited by sidindica : 26th June 2010 at 20:05.
Old 26th June 2010, 20:38   #6178
Distinguished - BHPian

i20 seems a version magna than asta. Not sure if the magna version has the airbags and abs.

Seems the i20 was at high speeds.
Old 26th June 2010, 21:24   #6179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
i20 seems a version magna than asta. Not sure if the magna version has the airbags and abs.

The Bangalore i20 is a magna.
The magna doesn't come with ABS and Airbags.
Old 26th June 2010, 22:00   #6180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post

Yes seems like it was at high speed and the driver could not control it, its a sharp turn but it doesn't look like the road curves from a distance and may be he misjudged it and could not react in time. I am not sure of the I 20 variant but I did peek in and it din't have any inflated/deflated airbags.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks