Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2015, 16:28   #18211
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And the trump card on rear seat belts: Google "Julie knew her killer" and watch the video.
Completely agree with you on that.

I had seen that video based on your post on this thread many months back. I was able to blackmail 4 of my friends who was never ready to wear seat belts in wearing seat belts by showing that video.
Old 8th July 2015, 17:58   #18212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Blaming the deceased's father is rather distasteful.
I am not supporting Hema however, how is it disrespectful if the alto guy was actually at fault? just because his side has more causality does that make him right or deserve sympathy and respect? We don't know the whole story yet, do we?

There are 1000 of idiots I see every day on roads(no disrespect to anyone) taking wrong turns, coming wrong way, going zigzag in traffic, riding like a complete hooligan, I have stopped considering most people as idiots who have a loud horn or always keep their high beam on, cause its kind of a trend now and we all kind of got used to that behaviour very fast. They are one way or the other reckless and asking for trouble, If a celebrity was not involved in this crash, this would have been ignored like the 1000s of fatal accidents, happening on our roads every day, the whole thread is a testimony to that in fact!

Funny thing, I was on a call the other week when I was at a signal, one guy on a bullet without a helmet tapped on my window and asked me to put the phone down while the signal was still red, I am not justifying my behaviour but a guy without helmet? common! People have got so used to riding without helmets that they no longer consider it as an offense, but talking on phone definitely is

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 18:18   #18213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I am not supporting Hema however, how is it disrespectful if the alto guy was actually at fault? just because his side has more causality does that make him right or deserve sympathy and respect? We don't know the whole story yet, do we?
I am not saying that the Alto driver was on the right side of the law. His fault, based on the accident details we have till now were:
1. Child and possibly other occupants not wearing seat belts.
2. Not checking for oncoming traffic while taking a turn although he says he was following a WagonR which had also taken a turn.

Hema's Mercedes was also on the wrong side of the law since:
1. The car was overspeeding. The legal limit on a highway would be maximum 80 kmph. The damages and injury caused clearly point to the probable speed.
2. She was herself not belted up and hence suffered the deep gash on her face.

So who is she to conclude that it was the Alto's fault? Rather as a responsible and well known member of society, one was expect her to be even more mature and the least she should be doing is to ensure that her driver and she herself follow traffic rules. Till now I clearly pitched for her when media was criticizing that even after suffering an injury, she should have helped the family. Thats just a stupid arguement. But blaming just the Alto driver for the accident is equally stupid on her part.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 22:03   #18214
Senior - BHPian

Hema shouldn't have played the blame game on media. She should have kept her big mouth shut until the investigations were over and the media frenzy played out. Naturally there is a backlash against her, the pertinent question being asked was, if she was able to go to Fortis, why couldn't she help the Alto victims get there too? After all, no matter whose fault, is it not everyone's moral duty to help the injured?

The other absurdity is from the father, the Alto driver. He claims to have followed all traffic rules, driven really slowly, yet blindly cut across into the highway, allowed his child to play on the mobile, sitting unsecured in the front seat, kudos.. he seems a complete moron.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 22:17   #18215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Hema shouldn't have played the blame game on media. She should have kept her big mouth shut until the investigations were over and the media frenzy played out. Naturally there is a backlash against her, the pertinent question being asked was, if she was able to go to Fortis, why couldn't she help the Alto victims get there too? After all, no matter whose fault, is it not everyone's moral duty to help the injured?

The other absurdity is from the father, the Alto driver. He claims to have followed all traffic rules, driven really slowly, yet blindly cut across into the highway, allowed his child to play on the mobile, sitting unsecured in the front seat, kudos.. he seems a complete moron.
While I agree that it is foolish of Hema Malini to play the blame game, but really it is highly unfair to target her for not helping others. Now its not like as if she got up and herself drove all the way to the "big" hospital. She was an accident victim and probably highly traumatized and somebody else actually took her to the hospital. She is a 66 year old senior citizen for God sake. The questions should rather be asked to that somebody else why s/he couldnt help others.

And from the accident pictures it is clear it was the Alto that rammed into the Mercedes. Since Alto was joining the main highway, clearly its Alto drivers fault. If he really was driving slow as he claims, why he couldnt prevent his car from ramming into the Merc that had the right of the way.

Last edited by joslicx : 8th July 2015 at 22:19.
joslicx is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 22:19   #18216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
While I agree that it is foolish of Hema Malini to play the blame game, but really it is highly unfair to target her for not helping others. Now its not like as if she got up and herself drove all the way to the "big" hospital. She was an accident victim and probably highly traumatized and somebody else actually took her to the hospital. She is a 66 year old senior citizen for God sake. The questions should be asked to that somebody else rather why s/he couldnt help others.

And from the accident pictures it is clear it was the Alto that rammed into the Mercedes. Since Alto was joining the main highway, clearly its Alto drivers fault. If he really was driving slow as he claims, why he couldnt prevent his car from ramming into the Merc that had the right of the way.
I agree with you, I am only stating what the tweeters against her have to say. Ideal world one must jail the Alto driver...
Old 9th July 2015, 01:50   #18217
BHPian

Here is statement of the Alto driver in reply of Hema malini's reaction on media coverage, the Alto driver is trying to justify he was following all the traffic rules:

"I feel very sad that Hemaji, an MP, has such a small 'soch' (thinking) that she tweeted that I was not following traffic rules," said the father, who is convalescing in Trauma Hospital in the Pink City.

"Big people can say anything from anywhere... If she has courage... she should come before me and say what she has to. I like to know from her one traffic rule that I violated... whether I was driving at very high speed, or whether I was on the wrong side, or I did not give an indicator... or I did not put seat belt," he said.

http://www.indiatvnews.com/news/indi...ing-52451.html

Last edited by tbppjpr : 9th July 2015 at 01:51.
Old 9th July 2015, 10:20   #18218
BHPian

At the risk of sounding insensitive I would like to say that the thought behind the explanation given by the father is the very reason why there are so many fatalities in our country. We should be concerned about our's and our loved ones' safety first. Had he been more worried about the safety aspect of his family than following the rules, he would have given his child a better chance of coming out that incident alive. There is no point in trying to figure out who is right and wrong after such a heavy loss.

We, as a country are only worried about getting caught by the cops for not following the rules. How many riders do we see everyday who wears a helmet but doesn't fasten the strap securely? How many people are serious about seat belts for all seats? I know of many people, including my friends and family who take off their seat belts once they reach the highway. If the kid cries in the child seat, he/she is taken out and seated unrestrained. When confronted, they would lie guiltily.
neutralgrey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 10:23   #18219
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the Hema Malini accident, yesterday on NDTV's Left, right & centre, some 'expert's' were discussing or rather flaming Hema Malini for her insensitivity on twitter. I was shocked at the absolute zero level of traffic awareness from these english speaking liberal's who preach the whole world about laws & rules.

Some of the points they made on that show were:

1. Hema Malini is responsible for the accident. This is proved by the fact that her driver has been arrested. We all know how stupid the operation of the law is in cases of accidents. Besides, the driver has been arrested not convicted which will happen in a court of law!

2. Hema Malini did not help the victims but went away from the accident scene. She went to the hospital to get treatment. It's not like she went home, took a warm shower, had hot chocolate and went to sleep. Besides, like someone said she is a senior citizen as well as an injured victim in this accident. Can't she be in shock? In trying to flame Hema, the media and Alto fellows are letting the authorities off the hook who should be asked about the delay in shifting the Alto victims to the hospital.

3. When the BJP representative raised the point of the girl being unbelted in the front seat, the anchor Nidhi Razdan asked the aunt of the girl if this is true. She replied that it's false and that the girl was in her mother's lap and both had put the seat belts. The anchor then told the BJP representative that one more of your claim has now been debunked. Amazing! Not a single person in that show responded to this idiotic claim.

4. Another reason for holding Hema Malini responsible was that her car was doing 150 kmph. Even the girls father keeps talking about this. Media keeps repeating this sentence too. How did the father know the Mercedes was doing 150kmph? Does he have a speed gun in his eye?! The father also claimed that he waited for 2 cars before attempting a turn hence he was right. As if waiting for 2 cars to pass means he is automatically in the right! It was night time and it is difficult judging speeds of cars during night time.

5. The anchor asked how Hema Malini knows the father is responsible for the accident as she was sitting inside the car (where else will she sit? on the roof?!), she was not driving and was unconscious after the accident? If she was unconscious then media shouldn't flame her for not taking the victims to the hospital. To this a panelist agreed that since Hema was inside the car and not driving she cannot know who is responsible. But she corrected the anchor by saying she was very much conscious.

6. What the discussion failed to bring out was faulty road design. I read in the paper's that this turn is called the killer spot. Turns on highways have been the cause of many accidents & deaths. We all have seen that you tube video. Maybe both Mercedes & Alto were at fault but I am sure the government's road design is also as much at fault but no one on the panel went down that road.

Lastly, media said yesterday, Hema shouldn't decide who is responsible for the accident but should wait for the investigation report to come out. Isn't the Alto guy doing exactly that? Why his blaming Hema Malini for the accident is right but she doing the same is insensitive & arrogant?

Last edited by amit : 9th July 2015 at 10:30.
amit is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 10:34   #18220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hema's Mercedes was also on the wrong side of the law since:
1. The car was overspeeding. The legal limit on a highway would be maximum 80 kmph. The damages and injury caused clearly point to the probable speed.
I completely disagree here. Have you come across any hard incontrovertible evidence proving it was overspeeding? (unlike the Figo navi mumbai accident recently)

It could just as well be that the Merc driver was blindsided for some reason and he didn't brake at all, leading to the damage we see.

We are not perfect psychics. I am not. I'd rather not assume things without concrete evidence here.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 10:39   #18221
BHPian

LOL,Amit your comments remind me of the circus ad on TV regarding news channels. The experts brought in for interviews normally have no idea of what the rules and laws exist. They just want their 2 minutes of fame.

Think about it even cops do not know the law. Yesterday evening a Fortuner with a politico stamp nearly T-boned me at a traffic signal.My signal was green and he was coming out from a service road jumping his side of the signal.

The cops at the signal told me cant you see a big car coming ignoring the fact that the big car had cut lanes, jumped a signal and the driver was not wearing seat belts.

Bad state of affairs.
Old 9th July 2015, 11:01   #18222
BHPian

Its about time we have dashcams with GPS fit in all vehicles. Most of the road accidents will be open and shut cases.
Not just will it help legal proceedings, it will also put an end to bad journalism and claims like "car doing beyond faster-than-a-rocket kmph".
black_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 11:16   #18223
BHPian

I just couldn't control my anger while reading the below statement and wished I'd be there on the scene to hurl something big on the host so that she shuts her mouth !

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post

3. When the BJP representative raised the point of the girl being unbelted in the front seat, the anchor Nidhi Razdan asked the aunt of the girl if this is true. She replied that it's false and that the girl was in her mother's lap and both had put the seat belts. The anchor then told the BJP representative that one more of your claim has now been debunked. Amazing! Not a single person in that show responded to this idiotic claim.

It is quite ludicrously amazing how our English Media have become self-righteous Messiahs !

These guys, who do not possess the minimum level of cognizance to understand that 'Girl on mother's lap in a front seat with a seat belt' is analogous to a null greater than Zero and gibberish in any Safety standard come to host the Show !

I assume the ones who probably conduct these media trials should first undergo a test of understanding of the Rules and Laws before they step to babble their speech of Enlightenment .

It is beyond any speck of a doubt that the English Media assumes speaking in Oxonian English/ St.Stephens' English gives them the "Heavenly Mandate" over human affairs and possibly the highest form of Integrity check they had undergone

Last edited by poised2drive : 9th July 2015 at 11:19.
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 13:01   #18224
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod Note: This topic has been discussed enough. Let's move on!
noopster is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 11:35   #18225
BHPian

Unfortunate accident in Indore a couple of months back. I heard about this since I was in Indore that time:

http://www.freepressjournal.in/3-yr-...shed-to-death/

'A sheer negligence on the part of father cost a 3-year-old kid his life. He was crushed to death at a busy square in Vijay Nagar area, on Sunday evening.

The heartrending mishap occurred near Satya-Sai Square at BRTS around 5.30 pm when Ajay Arora, a resident of posh Ashirvad Villa in Nipania area was waiting at the traffic signal while returning to his house.

He was riding on a Honda Activa scooter along with his 3-year-old son Rajveer who was standing between seat and front dickey of the scooter.

In the meantime, Arora received a call and started talking when Rajveer raised the throttle of scooter inadvertently when his father was busy in talking over phone.

With the impact of sudden race, the scooter lost balance and the child was thrown on the road as his father applied breaks abruptly. Before anyone could pick up the child, he was crushed under wheels of a tractor passing through the road. The child was killed instantaneously on the spot in front of his father.

The passers-by caught the tractor driver immediately and handed him over to the police. A case was registered against the driver, identified as Farookh, a native of Ratlam, at Vijay Nagar police station.'
venkats2001 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks