Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2020, 09:43   #31981
BHPian

Two engineering students die in bike accident on Hyderabad outskirts; cops recover ganja from spot

Two engineering students die in bike accident on Hyderabad outskirts; cops recover ganja from spot

Riding without helmet, two young lives lost

https://www.newindianexpress.com/cit...t-2232590.html

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/79599135.cms
setuniket is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 11:11   #31982
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
If the brakes on the truck had failed, how did it stop at such a short distance after running into people? It seemed that the truck wanted to pass on the left and keep going, hoping people would run away.
I think the truck driver was not happy with the car which suddenly moved to the right lane. So, he moved to the left, and tried to overtake the car, and realized very late that he had very little road left to pull that off.

I think the truck stopped at a short distance after the accident because it ran over many bodies. The truck driver might also have tried to brake a few seconds before the accident.

There are many things that could have been done in a better manner in this accident, but the most important lesson is to drive at a sane speed, and to avoid maneuvers in which you barely avoid an accident in the best case.
Old 7th December 2020, 18:27   #31983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
but the most important lesson is to drive at a sane speed, and to avoid maneuvers in which you barely avoid an accident in the best case.
Accident happened under broad daylight (14:36 hrs as per CCTV clock). There should not have been any visibility problem and truck driver's seating position is above the vehicle in front. There must not be any excuse to run over so many people. Driver was either too careless and thought people will give him way or may be busy on the phone. When other people in front were slowing down, what was the reason for the truck driver to switch lane and manoeuvre carelessly
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 00:14   #31984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Just sharing another point of view and don't mean to contradict your post.
Took a look at whole video and at no point the speedo went beyond 80kmph and most of the time it was hovering around 20 to 50kmph.
Maintaining these low speeds in a Lambo must be a task in itself given that these cars can hit 100kmph in just about 3 seconds.

The video has been made within legal speed limits, of-course there is no harm in some responsible fun at low speeds (atleast as per the speedo shown in the video).
As you rightly said, hope people in general refrain from using our public roads as a race track and drive responsibly by always following the traffic rules.
These cars certainly have better brakes and handling. I have ridden red sport bikes in full gear for decades, and have been subject to prejudice and bias, I certainly see your point. The program was made tastefully, and I liked most of the video. Words do matter, and popular culture is influenced by innuendos. I would also agree that YouTubers speeding with full speedo in view are deserving of more outrage. I was trying to take a more extreme/critical view on the topic to make my point. I love super cars.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 09:03   #31985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
If the brakes on the truck had failed, how did it stop at such a short distance after running into people? It seemed that the truck wanted to pass on the left and keep going, hoping people would run away.
Having said that, it's not uncommon to see people crowd around on the highway without realising thar they could be mowed down.
If you observe the video closely, the truck hit something and came to a halt. That part was sadly not covered in the video, but you can see a jerk and truck's back part rising up a little as if collided with something when it came to a halt (similar to global ncap test cars hitting a concrete wall and coming to halt), here it might be some other car / truck as it is a main road and there's no possibility of having a stationary object on the road. All said and done, the truck driver should be punished, he might have been drowsy behind the wheel (semi conscious) or might be diverted (use of mobile phone).
Old 9th December 2020, 11:55   #31986
Senior - BHPian

A bike-vs truck accident resulting in serious injury to both the rider and the pillion-rider. Pillion rider was not wearing a helmet. Was there a child on the lap too?
The biker continues to change lans with his hand out to stop all vehicles. He is in the blindspot of the truck owing to the proximity and the side of the truck he is on.
Disturbing visuals, so not posting on youtube.
Link is here: http://www.thewiseherb.com/crashes/2...rossing-lanes/

Name:  Screenshot_20201207140517480x360.png
Views: 4303
Size:  186.4 KB
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 12:31   #31987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
A bike-vs truck accident resulting in serious injury to both the rider and the pillion-rider. Pillion rider was not wearing a helmet. Was there a child on the lap too?
The biker continues to change lans with his hand out to stop all vehicles. He is in the blindspot of the truck owing to the proximity and the side of the truck he is on.
I am speechless!. What was he thinking?? He came straight in front of the truck sticking his hand out !. That too from the left corner expecting the truck driver to spot him!.

Even if he wants to pull over and stop for whatever emergency, need to do it completely defensively and not jump anywhere.

Road sense, driving sense and least of all common sense. Not even one sense here!.

I remember pulling over to the side once because I sensed a flat tyre and my Unicorn started wobbling on the extremely busy ORR towards Hebbal. I slowed down, switched on the left indicator, watched for everyone behind, ensured they spotted me moving to the corner slowly, then pulled over.

People around us can't read our minds!. Vehicle movement, brake lights and indicators are the messengers. Confirm that the message reaches them too before you make your move!.
Nalin1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 13:05   #31988
BHPian

There is no way the truck driver could have spotted the bike rider and his convenient hand signals for turning right from left most lane.

I hope the driver was not beaten up or booked by the police!

Quote:
setuniket is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 15:22   #31989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
I hope the driver was not beaten up or booked by the police!
Exactly my thought when I saw the clip. I am afraid the driver would have been booked for 'negligent driving' as has been the case in many such incidents.
rr_zen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 18:57   #31990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Very sad to watch.
I think the truck driver was distracted from driving (most probably texting) and had his eyes only in front of the truck occasionally. That can be the reason for just shifting lanes when the suv came in front.

If he had been drinking water or doing some other activity then he would have certainly kept an eye on the road ahead. Anyway in broad daylight how can one miss a large crowd on the left side of the road ahead and drive straight into that crowd mowing down innocent people unless one is unaware of the crowd until its too late.

I hope the truck driver is punished by law and RIP to those who could not make it.

Last edited by luvDriving : 9th December 2020 at 18:58. Reason: grammar
Old 9th December 2020, 19:12   #31991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Disturbing visuals, so not posting on Youtube.
Totally the fault of the two wheeler rider; what was he thinking just showing a hand signal and cutting lane in front of the moving truck is nothing short of suicidal, so what if you loose a minute why not go ahead and turn safely.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 21:51   #31992
Distinguished - BHPian

I have not watched the "disturbing visuals." From what I read, it seems to me to be one of those cases where a road user thinks that they can change the world with a hand signal and a manoeuvre. Like water in a bucket, the world will move aside for them. It doesn't.

More than sense, these people seem to lack any instinct of self preservation. That, above all, is the thing that keeps us from tragedy. The results... very sad for all
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 07:58   #31993
BHPian

Three dead, six severely injured after a speeding Ertiga car rammed into lorry from behind.

Reporter says that poor visibility due to fog might be the reason for accident.

Old 10th December 2020, 10:12   #31994
BHPian

Even a Mercedes Benz is not safe for occupants, look how the roof of this Mercedes Benz E-class (?) ripped apart after impact with a stationary lorry.

PRAKASAM: In a tragic incident, a YSRCP leader died in a road accident after his Mercedes Benz car rammed into a parked lorry. The incident took place in Cheruvukommupalem, Ongole Mandal. According to the sources, Tangutur YSRCP leader Ravuri Ayyavaraiah died in the road accident and Mandal in charge Srihari injured. It is learnt that Ravuri and Srihari returned from Hyderabad to their village and the car rammed into a stationary lorry.

It is said that the lorry driver's negligence by parking the lorry on the road is reason behind the accident. Ravuri Ayyavaraiah's dead body was sent to the hospital for autopsy and YCP leaders are expressing their condolences to the leader's family.

Name:  6.PNG
Views: 3323
Size:  268.5 KB

Name:  5.PNG
Views: 3332
Size:  288.8 KB

Name:  4.PNG
Views: 3311
Size:  322.5 KB

Name:  2.PNG
Views: 3300
Size:  279.0 KB

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 3269
Size:  302.3 KB

Mods, sorry for back to back posts, please merge this post in my previous post. Thanks.

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 10th December 2020 at 10:16.
Old 10th December 2020, 12:01   #31995
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post

Reporter says that poor visibility due to fog might be the reason for accident.
If only the media could be educated and be persuaded to educate the public. You can call it propaganda! But it's a vital function.

GB was always good at this sort of stuff. Media here has no interest, it seems.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks