Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2022, 09:30   #34951
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Chennai.

Policeman needs better protection and equipment before they try to stop a speeding vehicle.

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 10:28   #34952
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
The question being asked is whose fault is this?
My first thought was that it is not an accident but an intentionally caused road rage incident.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 10:49   #34953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
While some form of penalty is also justified for the Seltos driver, snatching the DL or putting them in jail is not the solution.
Look at how that vehicle was being driven, even as it was coming down the flyover. That driver has no place on the roads - they need to be taken off asap, hopefully permanently. I'd argue for some jail time too for causing that accident.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 12:51   #34954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
What I mean is, if a car (here SX4) is drifting out of its lane, the proper response from those following/overtaking it (here the Kia) needs to be to brake, not to try to squeeze through the decreasing gap.
Unfortunately, this very logical and basic step is never followed and one of the most common reason for accidents.
If the driver finds his lane to be blocked for access, the reaction is an immediate swerve onto the other lane, without even look at the rear view mirror.

The reaction time for drivers on the other lanes is next to NIL in such cases, causing it to be a deadly scenario. High time lane discipline gets enforced.
sarathlal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 17:43   #34955
BHPian

Quote:
The problem is lot of people drive a four-wheeler with a mind set of two-wheeler. Try to skew and squeeze into a non existent gap (for a four-wheeler), form a third line in-between two cars minding their own lane.

At least I see the Seltos doing the same thing here.
Jerryaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 18:33   #34956
BHPian

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/YF_DzoTDO-0
From the clip, it is Seltos and it seemed that the driver was in hurry. However, to see whether SX4 was purposely not allowing the Seltos to overtake, we need to see videos from previous square. It could be both and just not Seltos. Traffic police should fine the offender(s) for rash driving.
Piyush_DT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 09:37   #34957
BHPian

This is my first post on my favourite forum, Team-BHP. Excuse me for any mistakes. It's like a monkey dancing in front of Hanuman.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-cyb.png

The biker is riding with a single hand, mostly on the phone. He is perhaps saved by the gap.

The white car (Creta?)'s direction is towards right median and he has no indicator turned on to show his intention to fellow drivers, again the biker behind is saved due to gap between bike and car.

The unlucky biker is too close in fast moving traffic with people picking lanes randomly. Finally it's the fault of the Seltos driver, he missed the basic MSM routine before changing lanes.

I'm a newbie, please correct me, if i am wrong

Last edited by libranof1987 : 7th April 2022 at 18:57. Reason: Two smileys/post please, punctuations.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 10:36   #34958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reminds of something read during schooldays, titled “Whose Job Is It, Anyway?” (available in many websites, so not posting any particular link).

Quote:
This is a story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody. There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.
People coming from the flyover are drifting lanes thinking others will brake, but the others also drift lanes as if cascading the effect. Those coming from below the flyover drift lanes in the opposite direction.
adisan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 14:20   #34959
BHPian

Quote:
It seems that there is a curve just after where this accident happened. Why was that Indica, or what ever car that was, moving towards the left? There is no apparent reason to do that. It crowded the Seltos and the dude driving the Seltos said, "I dont move for anyone!" and promptly took the biker out.

The white car and the Seltos are both to blame for this accident.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 7th April 2022 at 16:48. Reason: Typo
Yusha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 15:41   #34960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking the same. He is definitely at fault, but then I also looked at the lane markings! Truly hilarious way to mark roads. They separate, diverge and converge within 100 meters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Whats with those lane markings? Have never seen markings split up like train tracks on roads. It seems deliberate and not some wrong alignment of new markings with old ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
And on top of it, the confusing lane markers have contributed to the accident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
Fair assessment. It looks like the divider is also taking a sharp turn judging by some reflective white paint in the bottom of the screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
But cream of it all is the markings on the road - its like get down from the flyover, solve the marking riddle and then drive on, if you are able to
Agree with all of you about the comments on the lane markings. Ludicrous to say the least.

BUT, since when have road users in our country paid heed to these markings on the road anyway? Even if they where perfectly fine and apt, you will still see cars and bikes drift across them without a care in the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusha View Post
It seems that there is a curve just after where this accident happened. Why was that Indica, or what ever car that was, moving towards the left? There is no apparent reason to do that.
Watching that clip it appears to me something is seriously wrong with the alignment of that road. Look at the point the flyover lands and then at the bottom of the screen

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-e545c59494e0407a8293c88971ac6284.jpeg
Dry Ice is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 18:16   #34961
BHPian

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/YF_DzoTDO-0
Between 9 and12 seconds of the video, the scene unfolds very clearly.
  • The SX4 seems to be in a hurry, cutting lanes on the flyover, deliberately aligning to the lane marker and not to the middle of the lane. Bad driving habit and likely confusion due to the rangoli on the road.
  • The Seltos is obviously in a rush, and takes a bad judgement call on the gap it has to overtake the bike while squeezing aside the SX4.
  • There are 2 Innovas that are merging in to the highway. Both are doing it at an aggressive angle, not paying heed to what's coming at them from the side & back.
  • The bike seems oblivious to both the lanes and the traffic behind and beside it.
There are lot of things going wrong at once and could have been much worse.

However, my question is this - If the Seltos hadn't done what it did, would the accident happened? Likely not.

So, I am going to put the blame on this incident on the reckless driving and bad judgement of the Seltos driver.
asmr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 18:30   #34962
BHPian

Quote:
Chennai.

Policeman needs better protection and equipment before they try to stop a speeding vehicle.
Hope no major injury to the cop. While I agree that there should be a safer way to pull over vehicles. This is also a strong reason why automation should be brought in to trap violations like jumping signal/overspeeding etc.
Only in the exceptional cases where some intervention is needed a proper checkpoint is created with barricades to slow down the flow, like is done during election time.

On the Bangalore-Hyd highway, I see multiple places till Nandi hills, where the cop tries to get on to the highway (almost on the middle lane of an NH !). It is surprising that no one has gotten hit till now. Now, this is with an interceptor with speed gun flagging the violators. Unless the cops wanted to settle the bill "unofficially", I see no reason why the cop needs to risk his life.
whitewing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 18:42   #34963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Hope no major injury to the cop. While I agree that there should be a safer way to pull over vehicles. This is also a strong reason why automation should be brought in to trap violations like jumping signal/overspeeding etc.
Only in the exceptional cases where some intervention is needed a proper checkpoint is created with barricades to slow down the flow, like is done during election time.

On the Bangalore-Hyd highway, I see multiple places till Nandi hills, where the cop tries to get on to the highway (almost on the middle lane of an NH !). It is surprising that no one has gotten hit till now. Now, this is with an interceptor with speed gun flagging the violators. Unless the cops wanted to settle the bill "unofficially", I see no reason why the cop needs to risk his life.
I have been pulled over and fined by the same interceptors. Now that I know, I keep a watch after Devanhalli while going to Bangalore.

Another video of overconfident driving at high speed from Lonavala:

One from Surat, I don't know what happened here!

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 7th April 2022 at 18:47.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 19:10   #34964
BHPian

Quote:
One from Surat, I don't know what happened here!
https://Youtu.be/ca2OmMqNCwg
My guess:
the driver accelerated while steering -> slight oversteer (RWD)-> overcorrection by driver -> BLD kicks in -> car goes straight as soon as it grips -> Quick jump over median -> slow roll.
88_TANK_88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 11:07   #34965
BHPian

Quote:
Another video of overconfident driving at high speed from Lonavala:
https://Youtu.be/y5OMwjLz_hQ
Classic example of high GC atrocities that are passed off as SUVs on our shores. With that tall boy stance and raised GC that car had no excuse to take THAT sharp turn at high speeds. Atleast if it was a true blue SUV there might have been better/bigger tyres/brakes and AWD TC etc. to atleast put up a fight. But try telling this to a moron under the impression that he is invincible just because he has got the latest SUV(atrocity) sold in the market
venbas is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks