Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2022, 20:29   #34816
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
The importance of dashcams:

https://Youtu.be/0NdC8VidK9E

A 45 year old motorcyclist died on the spot when his motorcycle drifted to opposite lane and collided head on with a private bus. This happened on 22/3/22 near Pollachi, Tamilnadu. The bus driver was arrested following the accident. But this dashcam evidence would ensure a quick bail and will be helpful during the investigation.
Unbelievable footage. It's almost an invisible force is pushing the rider against an oncoming vehicle. No barriers or obstacles whatsoever and still the usually rock solid Bullet veered across to opposite lane. Considering it's peak daylight hours plausible reason could be DUI or a sudden adverse medical condition. RIP. Thank God no innocent pedestrian or another 2 wheeler/light vehicle was taken out due to this incident.
venbas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 08:56   #34817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Good God!
The poor bus driver couldn't have done much to avoid this accident. Thank God for the presence of dashcam, he's likely to get bail.

... See the difference a simple dashcam video can make!
Shouldn't the footage be sufficient to acquit the bus driver completely? Whatever might be the reason the bike veered in to this lane, it is clear that the bus driver could not have done much to avoid collision. He can't be expected to swerve suddenly and risk everyone else in the bus.

Last edited by asmr : 25th March 2022 at 08:57. Reason: corrected sentence
asmr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 09:01   #34818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
Unbelievable footage.Considering it's peak daylight hours plausible reason could be DUI or a sudden adverse medical condition
Man, this video is giving me chills. It can be due to sleep deprivation also.
Vasuki is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 10:19   #34819
BHPian

Unfortunate death on the Bengaluru OOR due to the lack of space for the volume of traffic it handles.

https://twitter.com/Lolita_TNIE/stat...GsLQ_EKwA&s=19

Last edited by JithinR : 25th March 2022 at 10:20.
JithinR is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 11:35   #34820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Unfortunate death on the Bengaluru OOR due to the lack of space for the volume of traffic it handles.

https://twitter.com/Lolita_TNIE/stat...GsLQ_EKwA&s=19
This is really sad. The bus lanes and the metro construction going side by side has left very little space for the rest of the traffic. It has become a pain to merge into the main road from any service road, as you have to cross the bus lane and merge directly into the traffic in the single available lane.
There had been news earlier that the bus lanes can be used by the rest of the traffic in areas where metro construction is going on, but there is no clear communication on that. Instead the bollards in these areas should be removed and boards with lanes merging need to be added to make it clear that the bus lane can be used by the rest of the traffic in those places.

The cycle lane construction is another poor implementation. For some reason the cycle lane is kept on the right side of the service road, and every time there is a merging into the main road, the cycle lane has a lane merging with the other traffic. This puts the cyclists in a tight spot, as they are in the right side of the road , and the faster traffic coming from the left would corner them.
Also, in the places where there is no cycle lane, the cycles need to cut across to come back to the left side. Each such maneuver for the cyclists is risky. It might be due to this that I see that most cyclists are not using the cycle lane and are sticking to the left side of the road.
the.dogfather is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 15:20   #34821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
. No barriers or obstacles whatsoever and still the usually rock solid Bullet veered across to opposite lane.
It is not a RE Bullet. Seems to me a 100-150cc HERO/Bajaj 2W.
Old 25th March 2022, 17:59   #34822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
Holi celebration? Yes, let's forget all the sense and throw balloons on the vehicles. An auto topples due to irresponsible behaviour during Holi celebration. Thank goodness that the auto wasn't being trailed by any vehicles at speed
Was the auto being driven a tad fast, given the dynamics expected of it? Probably an attempt to avoid getting hit by such water balloons?
Old 26th March 2022, 12:39   #34823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Narrow escape for the kid. Quick reflex in correcting course from the bus driver!
Thank God the boy is alive. I'm sure he will be doubly careful the next time.

I met with a similar accident at the same age in the 80s. I swiftly ran across the road without looking and was hit by a car. I landed on the bonnet and fell onto the ground. Still remember the driver's stare. He didn't say anything though. Probably thanking his stars nothing happened to me except for a few scratches.

Luckily nobody saw the incident or that's what I thought. Unfortunately for me, almost everybody in our apartment building saw what happened and informed my parents. I went back home with a cool face not realising that everybody was waiting for me with a scolding of a lifetime. The rest is history
JojyKerala is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 17:35   #34824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JojyKerala View Post
Thank God the boy is alive. I'm sure he will be doubly careful the next time.

I met with a similar accident at the same age in the 80s. I swiftly ran across the road without looking and was hit by a car. I landed on the bonnet and fell onto the ground. Still remember the driver's stare. He didn't say anything though. Probably thanking his stars nothing happened to me except for a few scratches.

Luckily nobody saw the incident or that's what I thought. Unfortunately for me, almost everybody in our apartment building saw what happened and informed my parents. I went back home with a cool face not realising that everybody was waiting for me with a scolding of a lifetime. The rest is history
Almost similar case for me, but in my story it was my dad's office bus and he and his colleagues were returning home. The bus driver had to brake hard and couple of passengers lost their teeth from hitting the steel railings at the back of the front seat. What punishment I got cannot be mentioned in the forum!
anandtheleo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 17:35   #34825
Distinguished - BHPian

Recklessly driven XUV 700 crashes into T. N. transport bus: SUV's 5 passengers safe!

The white XUV 700 appears to have been recklessly driven by the concerned. While traversing a crossroad, the driver needed to have lowered his speed to check for the oncoming traffic. The Tamil Nadu transport bus driver doesn't appear to have applied defensive driving techniques either.

Name:  XUV700crashintobus.gif
Views: 738
Size:  4.15 MB

The end result is for all to see. The tweet by @motowagen has attracted 201K views, 135 retweets and 31 quote retweets (including one by Anand Mahindra) and 848 likes within two hours, as of now (tweet at 3.28 pm today).

The five star safety rating of the XUV 700 is credited for saving all the five passengers.

Quote:

Tweet by MotoWagen @motowagen360
Retweet by @anandmahindra

"Mahindra XUV700 crashes into Tamil Nadu transport bus. Thanks to the 5 ⭐️ build quality which kept the passengers safe without damaging the passenger cabin.
You've done a great job with the #XUV700 @anandmahindra @MahindraXUV700"
https://t.co/byCe6O8bWc
Apparently, it's obvious that the owner must have patiently waited nearly 5-6 months (if the SUV is new) for its delivery post booking, but the driver was now in a great hurry to save a minute or two, while rushing through a traffic intersection. A biker (with co-passenger) too is saved by providence as you will notice in the video.

The video/tweet link :-

https://twitter.com/motowagon360/sta...njfmxEtjg&s=19

Last edited by Aditya : 11th April 2022 at 17:59. Reason: Attachment inserted
anjan_c2007 is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 17:43   #34826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Recklessly driven XUV 700 crashes into T. N. transport bus: SUV's 5 passengers safe!

While thankfully no lives were lost, I'm beginning to believe these star ratings are giving confidence to owners of such cars to drive recklessly. That when added with the common notion that SUVs are safer because they're bigger and heavier is a recipe for disaster along with the feeling of superiority that comes with an SUV.

We still have a long way to go to reduce accidents and fatalities.
Turbohead is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 17:46   #34827
BHPian

Re: Recklessly driven XUV 700 crashes into T. N. transport bus: SUV's 5 passengers safe!

Funny how as soon as a new vehicle / a vehicle’s crash star rating comes out, we hear of multiple accidents (both minor and major) involving said cars right after. Not to mention all the idiocy revolving around the fanboy comments about build quality, thereby throwing shade on other manufacturers. We’re a confused lot, as a nation.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 18:39   #34828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Narrow escape for the kid. Quick reflex in correcting course from the bus driver!
I was waiting for the approval of my membership to comment on this post. Thankfully, I made it.

I saw the video at 0.25X speed on YouTube (posted by someone else) and it was quite evident that the child was not peddling the cycle.
This high speed is only possible when he was coming down a hill and lost control and didn't brake in time.
In essence, it is incorrect to blame the child. We all must have ran downhill at one or the other point in our lives and realised that we just can't STOP. The inertia keeps taking us further.
It is heartening to see, that like most of us, this kid also survived the ordeal without major injuries.
There may be few amongst us, who may not be that lucky!
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 19:41   #34829
Senior - BHPian

I may be wrong here but somehow I get a feeling that some 5 star car owners have mis-interpreted it for invincibility rather than a safety net in case of an accident.
But since I don't have any data to show for it I will restrict it to a "feeling".

In this case though it seems more like a case of misjudgement by the 700 driver who was probably expecting the bus to stop before crossing and his overspeeding near an intersection didn't help much.

I wonder if collision detection, if available on the car would've been able to avoid the crash.
shancz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 20:19   #34830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
I may be wrong here but somehow I get a feeling that some 5 star car owners have mis-interpreted it for invincibility rather than a safety net in case of an accident.
But since I don't have any data to show for it I will restrict it to a "feeling".

In this case though it seems more like a case of misjudgement by the 700 driver who was probably expecting the bus to stop before crossing and his overspeeding near an intersection didn't help much.

I wonder if collision detection, if available on the car would've been able to avoid the crash.
Exactly my thoughts. My friends urge me to drive fast on highways (I am a sober driver). I tell them, it's safe not to drive fast - they immediately shoot back saying, your car has 7 airbags, you don't need to worry, your car is made to only go fast. If you had to go below 100 kmph, why did you buy this one?
Raghu M is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks